Standalone Super Terraria World - MMORPG Style Mod - Server and Client Mod

New user experience

In short I didn't find this game that much fun. I am really hoping this project works out which is why I'm leaving feedback here. Below are notes and such from my first several hours of exposure.

Are you assuming that the player is familiar with the base Terraria game?

jumping through holes while climbing ropes is counter-intuitive because sometimes you must face away from the hole when you jump.

When reading the tutorial information the game should be paused.

On intro island you break your pixaxe and have to remake it. This implies that items have a durability. So far I haven't seen any indication that a pixaxe (or anything else) will break after repeated use. This makes the pixaxe remaking bit very misleading. Perhaps you should change what is being made during your crafting introduction.

For an RPG this feels really really linear. It feels like I'm on rails the whole time.

What's with all the chests and barrels that don't do anything? Is it supposed to simulate the RPG axiom of, "search every empty crevice for loot"?

The instances are cool idea, but I just avoid them because
1. It fills up my inventory with stuff that's only useful in the player home instance.
2. I die too soon before getting to explore and then incur the loss of money and loot.

Wand of sparking feels extremely lame even if it is a magic intro weapon.

I like the fireworks for leveling up.

The railcart section was fun. It would be better if there were multiple, harder paths to navigate that had rewards at the end.

In the mines there are doors that teleport players around the map but give no indication of where the player will wind up. I hate those. Would it be possible to draw a line on the map so you can see which door links where? Mazes and areas based on teleportation navigation just feel bad.

More NPC interaction would be nice. Phrases could be randomized or more side quests given.

Fishing is clunky. The bait shop guy gives a quest. Is it one special fish per body of water? What do you do with extra quest item fish if you only partially complete a quest? What does it mean in the item description, "worth 10000 belles?"

The mod is great!
I love the background stories and some npcs who tells the quest and I love some items and weapons and some AWESOME BUILDS :D I can't wait to play it on my computer :)

New user experience

In short I didn't find this game that much fun. I am really hoping this project works out which is why I'm leaving feedback here. Below are notes and such from my first several hours of exposure.
I'm sorry to hear that, but the fact that you took the time to write up feedback is greatly appreciated.

Are you assuming that the player is familiar with the base Terraria game?
Yes, this mod requires Terraria and it has always been assumed that players of our mod are previous Terraria players. This could change in the future.

jumping through holes while climbing ropes is counter-intuitive because sometimes you must face away from the hole when you jump.
Can you be more specific on this? I'd like to know where exactly you're talking about to try and understand if it's something that was designed to be like this or if it's an accidental side effect.

When reading the tutorial information the game should be paused.
I could see this being true if we were planning on doing a single player version of the mod, but the goal is to be multiplayer and you'll have players around you doing the tutorial. Simply put the game cannot pause. All of the information (Game Tips) that appear during the tutorial can be read at any point in time - even before the they are suggested to you, thus you can always come back to them.

On intro island you break your pixaxe and have to remake it. This implies that items have a durability. So far I haven't seen any indication that a pixaxe (or anything else) will break after repeated use. This makes the pixaxe remaking bit very misleading. Perhaps you should change what is being made during your crafting introduction.
I can see why you are saying this, but I disagree. In our specific tutorial it is apparent based on the sprite and name that the pickaxe is flawed. Because of this it breaks. Moving forward no pickaxes that are created are flawed. Furthermore, their is no mention in a Game Tip that anything has durability. This is literally a "plot" point of the tutorial quest. With that said, I do understand where you're coming from and like to hear if you have any suggestions on how to eliminate this misconception without changing the fact that the Damaged Pickaxe breaks after mining enough copper to repair it.

For an RPG this feels really really linear. It feels like I'm on rails the whole time.
First, I need to ask how much did you actually play? Did you complete all of the quests?
Second, you have to remember that this is a 2D Sidescroller and therefore there are some limitations on how you can "discover" things in the world which might cause some linearity, but in fact there are a few different quests that you can do and the order doesn't matter at all.
Third, we are still in development and more content will be added.
Lastly, can you explain what made it feel linear to you?

What's with all the chests and barrels that don't do anything? Is it supposed to simulate the RPG axiom of, "search every empty crevice for loot"?
The chests and barrels are decoration only at this time - you cannot even open them. There are a few chests though that can be opened, but are currently empty. This is because we have a chest reward system in the works.

The instances are cool idea, but I just avoid them because
1. It fills up my inventory with stuff that's only useful in the player home instance.
2. I die too soon before getting to explore and then incur the loss of money and loot.
1. Instances worlds are really designed around multiplayer. All of that loot will be shared among everyone that manages to get in before the portal closes.
2. They are meant to be hard as they contain a lot of resources. You'll need to be careful not to die.

Wand of sparking feels extremely lame even if it is a magic intro weapon.
While it may feel extremely lame, I have to ask you to compare it to the intro sword and arrow. They are all on par with each other, and the wand actually has a pretty good DPS if you manage your mana.

I like the fireworks for leveling up.
Good! :D

The railcart section was fun. It would be better if there were multiple, harder paths to navigate that had rewards at the end.
Definitely something to expand upon in the future for sure!

In the mines there are doors that teleport players around the map but give no indication of where the player will wind up. I hate those. Would it be possible to draw a line on the map so you can see which door links where? Mazes and areas based on teleportation navigation just feel bad.
When we first designed the area it was supposed to be a maze-like. We've heard various feedback about the mines and so we'll eventually spend some time discussing this internally.

More NPC interaction would be nice. Phrases could be randomized or more side quests given.
These are things we want to do too, but we do this in our free time. Pretty much it's on the list, but lower priority. :p

Fishing is clunky. The bait shop guy gives a quest. Is it one special fish per body of water? What do you do with extra quest item fish if you only partially complete a quest? What does it mean in the item description, "worth 10000 belles?"
Fishing is very much based on Terraria's fishing. We've only made the Angler's fishing quest more challenging and rewarding. If you cannot catch all three fish you can still turn in the ones you do catch for a reward.
The tool tip for the Golden Arowana is an "Easter Egg" to the game Animal Crossing: http://animalcrossing.wikia.com/wiki/Arowana

Is there an installer for the Mac? I've tried four times to install this but nothing works.
The Mac installer is currently being worked on. Come join us here: https://discord.gg/CQArFC2 we'll help you get it installed manually until then.

I think be able to go back into an instance world (the ones from goblins) is a bit weird (unless it's been changed I haven't played in a while) shouldn't the instance delete if you die because you can go right back in and the ores respawn. One other thing when you mine ores in instances u get shards I think they're called. Why? Why not get the ores there's not much you can do with them in an instance
I do hope this is still how it was when I played last and I don't seem like a rambling idiot.

I tried to uninstall it, but when I opened my game it still came up with an error message ( I figured out my version wasn't currently supported)

I think be able to go back into an instance world (the ones from goblins) is a bit weird (unless it's been changed I haven't played in a while) shouldn't the instance delete if you die because you can go right back in and the ores respawn. One other thing when you mine ores in instances u get shards I think they're called. Why? Why not get the ores there's not much you can do with them in an instance
I do hope this is still how it was when I played last and I don't seem like a rambling idiot.
Instance worlds in our single player version of STW were more of a showcase of what's to come in multiplayer. You won't be able to reenter the portals after you die. Also the ore shards are there as a way to control amount of resource brought back from the instance. Currently 2 shards equal 1 ore.

When is the 1.3.4 getting supported?
We are focusing a lot on our multiplayer closed beta. Once we feel like we are ready to upgrade to a new Terraria base we will. Currently we don't need the features that 1.3.4 has brought in. STW is compatible regardless.

I tried to uninstall it, but when I opened my game it still came up with an error message ( I figured out my version wasn't currently supported)
I'm confused. STW crashed or Terraria crashed after you uninstalled STW? What was the error message? What version of STW do you have that is not supported? Most importantly, do you still need help? Just let me know!

The ore shards are there as a way to control amount of resource brought back from the instance. Currently 2 shards equal 1 ore.
The ore shards are a good idea, but I hate the fact that they take up more inventory slots. What about turning all ores into shards when you enter the Instance worlds only to return to normal Ores when you return to the original world?

The ore shards are a good idea, but I hate the fact that they take up more inventory slots. What about turning all ores into shards when you enter the Instance worlds only to return to normal Ores when you return to the original world?
I'll bring this up in a future discussion. :)

If anyone have the same bug as i did,(when i tried to install the STW it wont open and at the second time it said "Please launch the game from your steam client", all you have to do is relog in steam and it should work..... i totallly didnt spend 1 and a half hour trying to fix this :D.

Is there going to be pvp in multiplayer and if so you could possibly make some instances more rewarding but activate pvp if there where more than say five people because you would be far to spread out to go in the same portal

C2bdsjnUUAE-lvw.jpg

Hello everyone!

This coming Sunday, we will be hosting a closed test of our multiplayer build! Our wonderful patrons are welcome to join us for the fun!
[doublepost=1485054828,1484717513][/doublepost]Hello! Just a reminder to our Patreon supporters. Multiplayer test session will begin in twelve hours! Join us on our Discord Patreon channel around that time for your download links. Patrons can find more information on this Patreon Post.

It seems really really fun but it'll be awesome if you can add GOG Terraria support because i bought it on GOG instead of Steam and now i cant play it. But still, it looks really fun. Definitely gonna try it once you add the support.

I'm having problems with starting up stw it starts loading then after a few secs it just stops I've restarted both stw and terraria but it won't work

So I don't know if these have been mentioned, but I have three quite annoying problems with the mod.

1. It replaces the main Terraria executable, which means it will break everytime someone updates Terraria. This is just for the convenience of permanently replacing default Terraria with it. Wouldn't it make MUCH more sense to leave the default file as it is and just add yours to it and maybe place a shortcut to it somewhere? Or at leats add that as an option?

2. It does not work if you don't use the default saves location. It simply crashes. I would not want to have a mod save its files next to the vanilla ones.

3. The world itself never resets so if you want to start over with the mod you actually have to delete all saves, because otherwise things like the tunnel quest become impossible to complete and resources like wood may become unavailable.

So I don't know if these have been mentioned, but I have three quite annoying problems with the mod.

1. It replaces the main Terraria executable, which means it will break everytime someone updates Terraria. This is just for the convenience of permanently replacing default Terraria with it. Wouldn't it make MUCH more sense to leave the default file as it is and just add yours to it and maybe place a shortcut to it somewhere? Or at leats add that as an option?

2. It does not work if you don't use the default saves location. It simply crashes. I would not want to have a mod save its files next to the vanilla ones.

3. The world itself never resets so if you want to start over with the mod you actually have to delete all saves, because otherwise things like the tunnel quest become impossible to complete and resources like wood may become unavailable.
1. This is necessary for the game to work, as it isn't just the mod on it's own, it's the mod + Terraria.
2. STW automatically saves it's files in a separate folder - not sure what you're talking about here.
3. This is due to the fact that STW is currently in it's SP beta - when it becomes an MMO this will no longer be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom