Sprites Supreme Gnome (Earth Elemental Boss)

Aurora3500

🌳
Staff member
This boss is part of a group of Four Bosses which are based on the Paracelsian 4 Elementals who represent the basic elements. Originally I just had the Ancient Salamander that was part of my Expanded Hardmode Underworld Suggestion designed to be the new boss of that biome. I decided to make another different group of suggestions that feature Post-Golem Level bosses in an elemental theme that each appear in biomes related to their theme, but not as strong as the Lunar enemies. Which intends to add some strong optional endgame bosses that are not Post-Lunar. And encourages the player to explore areas in hardmode again that they may not visit as much in the late game.

The full group of bosses is displayed here, as well as the status of the bosses:

Ancient Salamander (Here) - Complete, Fire Elemental in Underworld
Soulful Undine (Here) - Complete + Sprites, Water Elemental in Underground Ice
Graceful Sylph - (Here) - Complete + Sprites, Wind Elemental in the Sky/Space Biomes
Supreme Gnome - (This Suggestion) - Complete + Sprites Earth Elemental in the Underground Desert Biome

As with all of my suggestions, Light Blue Text represents features unique to Expert Mode Only.

To start with the Summoning Method, there will be a special type of Stone that "grows" throughout the Underground Desert (This stone functions similarly to Plantera's Bulb, a new one will instantly spawn in another area of the Underground Desert after the player destroys one). Breaking this Stone summons a new enemy called a Seismic Scorpion (A Miniboss enemy that functions similarly to the Sand Poacher) which the player has to kill. After repeating this process of breaking stones 3 times, the Supreme Gnome will appear. The Seismic Scorpion will also drop 3-5 Metal Orb Shards each time they are killed which can be crafted into a summoning item to summon the Supreme Gnome Directly.

(And no need to worry about your Desert being Corrupt/Hallowed, this stone will grow no matter what type your Underground Desert is)

Boss Details:
Concept Art:
Supreme Gnome.png

The Size of the Supreme Gnome is about 25 Blocks tall and 6-8 Blocks wide. It would take up roughly 1/8th to 1/6th of the Screen.

The sound effect of the Supreme Gnome taking damage is the "metal" sound because it is partially made up of Metal.

During its 2nd Phase, the Gnome loses a lot of its Rocky Components making it look more Metallic.

The Supreme Gnome will enter an enraged Mode where it can move much faster through blocks if the player leaves the Underground Desert. Its attacks also gain far greater intensity and frequency and it summons Metallic Elementals at a very rapid rate. Like other bosses that "enrage" it returns to normal if the player reenters the Underground Desert during the Fight.

Phase 1:
HP: 110000 (145000)
Damage:
Claw: 110 (220)
Body: 150 (280)
Rock Spit: 54 (108)
Quake Laser: 68 (136)
Shockwave: 50 (250)
Defense: 60
Abilities:
The Supreme Gnome is able to dig through blocks (But it doesn't destroy them, just goes through them) at a very slow rate. It targets the player heading in the direction towards it by getting its central body towards the player. The movement rate of the Supreme Gnome is moving 1 block length worth every 10 (6) seconds so it won't instantly trample the player, but at the same time the player has to be careful around the Gnome. If there are no blocks for the Gnome to "Latch on to" The Gnome will be unable to "climb" keeping the Gnome on the ground if the player is above it.

The Gnome's attacks consist of the following:
  • It's claw that occasionally strikes in front of it a fair length horizontally damaging the player if it hits.
  • Rock Spit which it fires from its mouth. Is a small projectile of a size similar to Vile Spit that can't go through walls.
  • Quake Laser which it fires from one of it's arms. Looks Black and Brown. Is a medium length laser which fires for an instant then vanishes. The Gnome's arm charges up when it is going to use it and slowly turns its arm to aim at the player. If the player is hit, the player becomes petrified for 3 (6) Seconds.
  • Shockwave. When the Gnome uses this attack, it prepares to jump up and stops other attacks. It will jump up about 4-8 blocks then descend and hit the ground afterwards. (this doesn't matter of there are other blocks in this range, the Gnome will land at the spot it jumped from). This also causes your screen to "rumble" with a similar "rumbling" sound effect. If the player is in contact with any block during this time, the player becomes trapped in the Shockwave and becomes unable to move or take any action. The Shockwave lasts 3 seconds and the player remains "paralyzed" for 6 (12) seconds if caught in the Shockwave at any point. The Supreme Gnome is also unable to take any other action while the Shockwave is occuring.
  • Summon Metallic Elementals. A new type of monster that is the minion of the Supreme Gnome. Up to 5 8 can be summoned at the same time and can attack the player when the Gnome is unable to attack the player personally.
Phase 2:
HP: 50% of Max HP (55000/110000) (72500/145000)
Damage:
Claw: 133 (266)
Body: 180 (270)
Rock Spit: 88 (176)
Quake Laser: 100 (200)
Earthquake: 100 (300)
Defense: 51
Abilities:
The Supreme Gnome's Attacks from the 1st phase become faster and stronger from before. It also loses it's shockwave ability which is replaced with the much stronger "Earthquake" attack. To use it, the Supreme Gnome only lifts up a foot and within a few seconds it stomps on the floor which creates the rumbling which only lasts a half second to a second unlike the shockwave which was 3 seconds. However it stomps its feet at a quicker pace and does it frequently, with only 2-3 second intervals between 1 stomp and the next. The Gnome can also still use it's other attacks while using Earthquakes.
Phase 3:
HP: 10% of Max HP (11000/110000)
Damage:
Body: 80
Earthquake: 350
Defense: 40
Abilities:
Previous attacks of the Supreme Gnome are canceled. The Physical appearance of the Gnome changes again to become almost all Metallic and it grows an extra pair of arms. It starts crawling on the wall similar to a Sand Poacher (It can still crawl on open air like a Sand Poacher even if there is no wall in the background). With every move it takes it causes a Half Second Earthquake which has to be avoided like before or else the Player will be "Paralyzed" unable to move. It moves about 3 blocks closer to the player every second.

Boss Drops:
Drop Rate:
Greater Healing Potions 10-20 (100%)
Supreme Gnome Trophy (10%)
Gaia's Core (9%) (15%)
Seismic Barrier (100%)
Stone Staff (25%)
Desert Spear (25%)
Stone Shotbow (25%)
Quake Grimoire (25%)

Gaia's Core (Weapon)
Gaias Core.png

Weapon Type: Similar to Medusa Head
Damage: 12 Magic
Mana Cost: 20
No Knockback
Use Time: Slow
Abilities:
When used, any enemy in contact with a block visible on your screen becomes "Paralyzed" unable to take any action for 15 seconds. (Paralyze Effect does not affect Bosses, Flying-type enemies, Mini Boss-type enemies, Worm Type enemies, or Spectral Type Enemies) Also creates a "Rippling" effect on the screen.
Tooltip:
"The Heart of [Your World Name] in your Hands"

Seismic Barrier (Accessory)
Seismic Shield.png

Gives 10 Additional Defense. Additionally, every time the player gets hit a shield activates around the player which increases the player's Defense by 25 for 10 Seconds. After every 2 seconds this defense decreases by 5 until after 10 seconds the Player's Defense becomes normal.
Tooltip: "Magnetic Waves to your Defense in an Instant"

Stone Staff
Stone Staff.png

Weapon type: Summoning Staff
Damage: 45 Summon
Mana Cost: 10
Summons an Earth Elemental to Fight for you
Gives Buff: Earth Elemental
Buff Tooltip: The Earth Elemental will fight for you
Appearance:
Looks similar to a Metalic Elemental, but slightly lighter color scheme compared to it.
Abilities:
The Earth Elemental targets Enemies moving toward them. Can go through Blocks

Desert Pike*
Desert Spear.png

Weapon type: Spear
Damage: 80 Melee
Critical Chance: 6%
Knockback: Strong
Use time: Very Slow
Abilities:
Reduces Enemy Defense by a quarter for 10 seconds after damaging enemies (Affects Bosses). Shoots a small Earth Energy Projectile as well. (Projectile can't reduce Enemy Defense)
Tooltip:
"Said to have been used by someone who Delivers"

Stone Shotbow
Stone Shotbow.png

Weapon type: Crossbow
Damage: 44 Range
Knockback: Weak
Use time: Very Fast
Abilities:
Arrows cause extreme knockback to every enemy hit.
Tooltip:
"You gotta have stones!"

Quake Grimoire
Quake Grimoire.png

Weapon type: Spell
Damage: 54 Magic
Mana Cost: 8
No Knockback
Use time: Medium
Abilities:
The area you click is where the spell takes effect with a radius of 3 blocks from where you clicked. Generates Rock stalactites out of thin air that explodes on your enemies. This spell has a 5% chance to petrify enemies for 10 seconds (Bosses, Mini-Bosses, Medusas, Worms, and Spectral Enemies can't be petrified).
Tooltip:
"Ancient Earth Magic used by Arch Earth Mages"

Seismic Scorpion
Seismic Scorpionxcf.png

HP: 2000 (4000)
Damage: 70 (140)
Defense: 18
Appearance:
Similar to a Sand Poacher, but Larger and with a Orange/Brown Color Scheme
Abilities:
Behaves just like a Sand Poacher, except that it crawls on walls much faster and may try to charge at the player very quickly.

Metallic Elemental
Metalic Elemental.png

HP: 500 (1000)
Damage:
Body: 60 (120)
Laser: 48 (96)
Defense: 12
Appearance:
Looks like a Granite Elemental with a Brown/Orange Color Scheme
Abilities:
Behaves just like a Granite Elemental. Goes through walls until it is in the same "area" as the player. Fires a Thin Laser that stays in place for .6 Seconds occasionally and stays in place in the air when it does. Can Defend itself just like a Granite Elemental.

* Triple Bonus Points if you figure out where Desert Pike Reference is from!

EDIT 1 (March 30, 2016)
Made a few changes based on feedback
Changed Summoning method text to make it more clear that the Stone needed to summon the Gnome respawns and doesn't consume already existing blocks in the U. Desert.
Flying Type Enemies are added to list of immune enemies from the "paralyzing effect" of the Gaia's Core Weapon.
Stone Shotbow effect changed to extreme knockback rather than causing the "slow" debuff on enemies after being informed that slow is only made to function on the player.

EDIT 2 (April 12th 2016)
Added Concept Art for the Supreme Gnome.

Last edited:
I actually like it the boss has some interesting attacks. If there is any concern it would be that the summoning process is non renewable and will eventually eat away at the desert. Perhaps the summoning item could grow on the surface of the desert walls like the strange plants?

Another point of contention is regarding the slowing of enemies effect as I have been told that the slow debuff is only functionally configured for players. thus you might need to compromise and make it a knock back related effect.

The only other concern is whether the game could handle the petrifying quake effects my thoughts are it could but there might be a need to make flying enemies immune to the spell. Other than that I like it as it is both thematic and interesting mechanically.

Last edited:
I actually like it the boss has some interesting attacks. If there is any concern it would be that the summoning process is non renewable and will eventually eat away at the desert. Perhaps the summoning item could grow on the surface of the desert walls like the strange plants?

Another point of contention is regarding the slowing of enemies effect as I have been told that the slow debuff is only functionally configured for players. thus you might need to compromise and make it a knock back related effect.

The only other concern is whether the game could handle the petrifying quake effects my thoughts are it could but there might be a need to make flying enemies immune to the spell. Other than that I like it as it is both thematic and interesting mechanically.

I think I made the Stone to be like the Plantera Bulb where a new one will spawn after one is destroyed by the player, so the boss summoning method is renewable, but I can edit the text to make it more clear that it "regrows"

Did not know that about the slow debuff. I will change it so that it does strong knockback instead.

No way of knowing if the quake effect would work or not that is true. The way the petrifying quake is setup is so that any enemy that is in contact with a block will be affected when it is used. But I'll make it so flying enemies are immune to this no matter what even if they are in contact with a block.

Update:

I probably should've made Concept Art from the start for this Boss when I 1st made this suggestion, but I still couldn't do art well at all back then. Which is why there is now rough Concept Art for the Supreme Gnome, because I've been practicing art and can do it somewhat well now.

Supreme Gnome.png

Back
Top Bottom