Biomes & Nature Swapping the Ice biome with the Underworld

stormconure

Duke Fishron
Thanks to SilverBird for the idea!

Hey guys, it's me again. Earlier I posted a thread about Hell freezing over, an alternate frozen underworld. Then silverbird suggested that whenever this spawns in a world, the Ice Biome is replaced by a Volcano Biome. Here is that suggestion, in full thread form.

If you didn't get to see the original thread about frozen hell, here is the link:
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/when-hell-freezes-over-an-underworld-alt.2026/

Volcano Biome
------------------
The terrain for this biome is very hard to cross, as there are very steep hills and lava pools scattered about. It generates about the same size as the snow biome, and replaces it upon spawning the world with Frozen Hell. Ash blocks are spawned in small clumps, sometimes encasing obsidian, but most of the terrain is made of Igneous Rock. This is basically another form of stone that only generates in this biome. Anything that requires stone can also use igneous rock. In the center of each volcano biome there is a massive hill, the volcano, that has a relatively shallow lava pool at the top and is made of a combination of ash and igneous rock. There is a long vertical chamber inside the volcano that leads down to the Underground Volcano Biome. This biome spawns only in the outer 3rds of the world, and ice biomes would be changed to do this as well.

Alternatively, if the idea is implemented where hell freezes over in hardmode, this will be a biome that spawns randomly instead of ice, not with the underworld.

The underground variant of this biome generates in a similar fashion to Underground Snow. Snow blocks are replaced by ash, lava pools replace water pools, and obsidian occasionally spawns in the lava pools. This layer contains Molten Chests, which can contain a Sunfury, a Lava Charm, or a new weapon, the Burning Pitchfork.

Burning Pitchfork- Spear, 20 melee damage, slow speed, launches a small fireball that can set enemies on fire.

Enemies
----------
Lava slimes spawn instead of Ice Slimes.

Lava Bats spawn instead of Ice Bats.

A new type of Mimic spawns:
Fire Mimic: same as other mimics stat-wise, but drops either Sharanga (which should totally be put in PC and made not craftable), Flamelash (to make up for them not spawning in the underworld), or a new sword, Blazing Katana.

Blazing Katana- 15 melee damage, very fast speed, launches fireball in front of player similar to ice blade's ice beam.

If rain overlaps a volcano biome, it becomes an Eruption, where ash appears to be raining out of the sky. It spawns a unique enemy:

Magma Golem- 4,500 HP, 50 melee damage, shoots fireballs that do 55 damage and inflict On Fire. Drops Magma Core.

Magma Armor- set bonus causes attacks to inflict On Fire and sometimes Cursed Inferno. Grants immunity to all cold-related debuffs. Crafted just like Frost Armor, but Frost Core replaced by Magma Core. Same defense as Frost Armor. By extension, frost armor grants immunity to all heat-realted debuffs.

This is still a work in progress, so tell me what it needs!

Last edited:
The only real "problem" I see with this (Not even a problem really, Just wouldn't seem like much of a variance) would be if players managed to have Crimson & Volcano Biome's spawn within a close proximity, If not directly beside each other. For the most part both biomes generally share the same appearances, And while the enemies do vary, It's those same appearances that I'd feel would "remove some of the creativity" between the two biomes.

Could do something simple to prevent this from ever happening though, Make it impossible to have Volcano Biomes and Crimson Biomes both naturally spawn. (If corruption = false, Snow = True. Something like that programmed into the generation script.)

Bad idea.
The Underworld has too many attachments to where it is now, and there is too much to replace to make them both equivalents of each other.
No support.

ehrm, because you can sometimes spawn in a snow biome, i don't like the idea that you'll directly spawn in the underworld on surface, not fun for a first timer.
no support

ehrm, because you can sometimes spawn in a snow biome, i don't like the idea that you'll directly spawn in the underworld on surface, not fun for a first timer.
no support
Maybe the coding could be changed to where ice/volcano spawn in the outside of the world. Then would you support this? I think ice shouldnt spawn at player spawn either, personally.

The only real "problem" I see with this (Not even a problem really, Just wouldn't seem like much of a variance) would be if players managed to have Crimson & Volcano Biome's spawn within a close proximity, If not directly beside each other. For the most part both biomes generally share the same appearances, And while the enemies do vary, It's those same appearances that I'd feel would "remove some of the creativity" between the two biomes.

Could do something simple to prevent this from ever happening though, Make it impossible to have Volcano Biomes and Crimson Biomes both naturally spawn. (If corruption = false, Snow = True. Something like that programmed into the generation script.)
Ok, that sounds reasonable. If i did that would you support it? I think if the frozen underworld is implemented then this is a must.

Maybe the coding could be changed to where ice/volcano spawn in the outside of the world. Then would you support this? I think ice shouldnt spawn at player spawn either, personally.

Technically Snow spawns the same as Corruption or Crimson. It can generate near your spawn, But not actually at the spawn. Gives players a little bit of breathing room.

Technically Snow spawns the same as Corruption or Crimson. It can generate near your spawn, But not actually at the spawn. Gives players a little bit of breathing room.
Yes, but snow does spawn at player spawn occasionally, at least on mobile anyway. Even if it didnt, a volcano biome right next to a players house would be bad.

Corruption before Update 1.2 still seems worse, I mean there's nothing saying the player HAS to go through it right away. (Worse comes to worse, Could just build a bridge over it.)

Yes, but snow does spawn at player spawn occasionally, at least on mobile anyway. Even if it didnt, a volcano biome right next to a players house would be bad.
I can indeed confirm this- I've spawned in snow biomes multiple times.

I have to say I really like this idea (and I was actually thinking about the "hell freezing over" idea earlier- looks like you beat me to it), but I might be biased because I just in general like volcanoes.

Regardless, you have my support on both counts.

I can indeed confirm this- I've spawned in snow biomes multiple times.

I have to say I really like this idea (and I was actually thinking about the "hell freezing over" idea earlier- looks like you beat me to it), but I might be biased because I just in general like volcanoes.

Regardless, you have my support on both counts.
Youre not being biased in my opinion. I'm not even much of a fan of volcanoes, i just thought if we were going to freeze a fire biome we should then put fire in an ice biome. Thanks so much for the support!

I'd rather have Deserts swap with Snow biomes if Deserts ever get expansion, because Deserts need attention, and Igloos as an alternate to Pyramids would be awesome. :p This could be cool, but we already have an ice biome, and we already a have fire biome, and swapping them doesn't really adding anything especially interesting.

I'd rather have Deserts swap with Snow biomes if Deserts ever get expansion, because Deserts need attention, and Igloos as an alternate to Pyramids would be awesome. :p This could be cool, but we already have an ice biome, and we already a have fire biome, and swapping them doesn't really adding anything especially interesting.
Funny that you mention that... I had a thread a while ago saying something similar, but as it got very little support i left it alone. Here it is if you want to see it.

Thanks to SilverBird for the idea!

Hey guys, it's me again. Earlier I posted a thread about Hell freezing over, an alternate frozen underworld. Then silverbird suggested that whenever this spawns in a world, the Ice Biome is replaced by a Volcano Biome. Here is that suggestion, in full thread form.

If you didn't get to see the original thread about frozen hell, here is the link:
When Hell Freezes Over- an Underworld alt

Volcano Biome
------------------
The terrain for this biome is very hard to cross, as there are very steep hills and lava pools scattered about. It generates about the same size as the snow biome, and replaces it upon spawning the world with Frozen Hell. Ash blocks are spawned in small clumps, sometimes encasing obsidian, but most of the terrain is made of Igneous Rock. This is basically another form of stone that only generates in this biome. Anything that requires stone can also use igneous rock. In the center of each volcano biome there is a massive hill, the volcano, that has a relatively shallow lava pool at the top and is made of a combination of ash and igneous rock. There is a long vertical chamber inside the volcano that leads down to the Underground Volcano Biome. This biome spawns only in the outer 3rds of the world, and ice biomes would be changed to do this as well.

Alternatively, if the idea is implemented where hell freezes over in hardmode, this will be a biome that spawns randomly instead of ice, not with the underworld.

The underground variant of this biome generates in a similar fashion to Underground Snow. Snow blocks are replaced by ash, lava pools replace water pools, and obsidian occasionally spawns in the lava pools. This layer contains Molten Chests, which can contain a Sunfury, a Lava Charm, or a new weapon, the Burning Pitchfork.

Burning Pitchfork- Spear, 20 melee damage, slow speed, launches a small fireball that can set enemies on fire.

Enemies
----------
Lava slimes spawn instead of Ice Slimes.

Lava Bats spawn instead of Ice Bats.

A new type of Mimic spawns:
Fire Mimic: same as other mimics stat-wise, but drops either Sharanga (which should totally be put in PC and made not craftable), Flamelash (to make up for them not spawning in the underworld), or a new sword, Blazing Katana.

Blazing Katana- 15 melee damage, very fast speed, launches fireball in front of player similar to ice blade's ice beam.

If rain overlaps a volcano biome, it becomes an Eruption, where ash appears to be raining out of the sky. It spawns a unique enemy:

Magma Golem- 4,500 HP, 50 melee damage, shoots fireballs that do 55 damage and inflict On Fire. Drops Magma Core.

Magma Armor- set bonus causes attacks to inflict On Fire and sometimes Cursed Inferno. Grants immunity to all cold-related debuffs. Crafted just like Frost Armor, but Frost Core replaced by Magma Core. Same defense as Frost Armor. By extension, frost armor grants immunity to all heat-realted debuffs.

This is still a work in progress, so tell me what it needs!
You know this could work, however the underworld is the only main lava biome so how about a section of the underworld get frozen over after some sort of boss (maybe a snow queen) and the section becomes a unique mini biome that is half ice and half fire with slippy floors and lave pools

I personally call it the Infernal Tundra Biome
Enemies

Temperature Elemental
It walks back and forth and create a sheild of fire and ice

Slushman
Melted snowmen that throw snowballs and jump like slimes

I like the ice underworld, do you like the suggestion

Back
Top Bottom