[T-MEC] Terrarian Mechanical Engineering Corps

Is that it? . . . I have a whole map just for wiring stuff on it.
Also that 5 being display there, is that like a reverse 7 segment display? Can it display numbers 0-9? And why would you make it like that? would like to see what you did for the wiring on that one. XD

Is that it? . . . I have a whole map just for wiring stuff on it.
Also that 5 being display there, is that like a reverse 7 segment display? Can it display numbers 0-9? And why would you make it like that? would like to see what you did for the wiring on that one. XD
I don't know how to make a real randomiser

I don't know how to make a real randomiser
What?... Making a randomizer is easy. Didn't you see my post on page 8, post #149?
I started working on some random number generators but never got around to finishing them. I made one that when from 1-4, 1-6, 1-8, but I stilled needed to do 1-10, 1-12, 1-20, and maybe even 1-100. XD

What?... Making a randomizer is easy. Didn't you see my post on page 8, post #149?
I started working on some random number generators but never got around to finishing them. I made one that when from 1-4, 1-6, 1-8, but I stilled needed to do 1-10, 1-12, 1-20, and maybe even 1-100. XD
I know is saw but i had to do other stuff and creating a randomizer Wasn’t the main stuff i was doing

I also didn’t say it wasn’t easy

I was working on a massive randomizer for a map that I have still never got around to finishing. I think if I remember right it had 192 outputs.
This topic is kinda old but still I think I'd like to add something to it.
I'm more of a teorethical person, I prefer f.e. proving that you can make something in a certain way or you can't, not making the contraptions themselves.
From the easy-to-prove Chinese Reminder Theorem you can deduct that to make a 192 outputs randomizer you will need:
-6 times 2 output randomizers
-one 3 output randomizer
In general - you only need to make prime number randomizers (like 2 output, 3 output, 5 output...) and then you can somehow combine them (I have several ideas of how to do it) to make other output randomizers (like 6, 100, 192)

Also, you can make rational, non-whole numbers randomizers (like you have f.e. 3/5 probability that the gate will be lit up), which is also deducted from the CRT.

One more thing. You can't make irrational probability randomizers ONLY with logic gates. Prooving is very easy, but kinda long. In short: we will look at the probability of each logic lamp litting up after clicking a button. Now its the long part, we will see that every gate corresponds to an arythmetic thing (except the faulty ones). F.e. the AND one is multiplication. If you have two lamps, one has 50% probability and the other lamp has 20% probability of being lit, then the resulting lamp has a 10%=20%*50% probability of being lit. Now - faulty gates provide us only with rational numbers probability, like 4/5. But the other gates do only do things like multiply, add, substract... And when we do this we rational numbers, we get rational numbers. So that's why making an irrational probability randomizers can only be made with non-gate things. But still - maybe you can make it with things other than logica gates, but I don't have any ideas for a randomizer like that. But if somebody had an idea, or a proof that you actually can't do it- then please tell me.

Last edited:
I'm more of a teorethical person, I prefer f.e. proving that you can make something in a certain way or you can't, not making the contraptions themselves.
From the easy-to-prove Chinese Reminder Theorem you can deduct that to make a 192 outputs randomizer you will need:
-one 3 output randomizer
In general - you only need to make prime number randomizers (like 2 output, 3 output, 5 output...) and then you can somehow combine them (I have several ideas of how to do it) to make other output randomizers (like 6, 100, 192)

Also, you can make rational, non-whole numbers randomizers (like you have f.e. 3/5 probability that the gate will be lit up), which is also deducted from the CRT.

One more thing. You can't make irrational probability randomizers ONLY with logic gates. Prooving is very easy, but kinda long. In short: we will look at the probability of each logic lamp litting up after clicking a button. Now its the long part, we will see that every gate corresponds to an arythmetic thing (except the faulty ones). F.e. the AND one is multiplication. If you have two lamps, one has 50% probability and the other lamp has 20% probability of being lit, then the resulting lamp has a 10%=20%*50% probability of being lit. Now - faulty gates provide us only with rational numbers probability, like 4/5. But the other gates do only do things like multiply, add, substract... And when we do this we rational numbers, we get rational numbers. So that's why making an irrational probability randomizers can only be made with non-gate things. But still - maybe you can make it with things other than logica gates, but I don't have any ideas for a randomizer like that. But if somebody had an idea, or a proof that you actually can't do it- then please tell me.
One more, even harder problem. If it turns out that you can make irrational probability randomizers, then is it possible to do a transcendensal probability randomizer? (like 1/pi)
The combination (prime factorization) for 192 is 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 3. Hope that helps. Both randomizers are shown in this thread, in the op and the last comment - Random Signal Splitter

-one 3 output randomizer

One more, even harder problem. If it turns out that you can make irrational probability randomizers, then is it possible to do a transcendensal probability randomizer? (like 1/pi)
Okay... Well this is how I have the core of my randomizer setup.
Randomizer Core.png

The very bottom line has all the lamps on to have the whole thing turn ON/OFF the line above that has every other lamp on. The line above that every 2 lamps on, then the next line up every 4 lamps, then 8, 16, etc... They are all wired to a faulty gate with one ON lamp and one OFF lamp so each time they receive a tick there is a 50% chance they flip. This way only one gate (which you can see from the AND gate on the left side) can be on at any one time.

I was just thinking with what is random and can be used to make a non-logic-gate randomizer in terraria. Any ideas? Oh, and it doesn't need to be renewable (f.e. it can use boulders)

I was just thinking with what is random and can be used to make a non-logic-gate randomizer in terraria. Any ideas? Oh, and it doesn't need to be renewable (f.e. it can use boulders)

randominput.png

This provided the random input for a roulette game I made recently..
Water will flow down this messy patch of blocks just randomly enough so that sometimes these sensors get submerged, but most times they don't.
The chance that a sensor gets submerged seemed to be around 10-30%, and it seemed to increase according to the size of the input pump's water reservoir (not sure about that).

Other things worth noting: this introduces a bunch of time delays in your circuit (sensors go off at different times, and cannot be in sync with the input that started the pump either).
Water systems can be lossy and usually need to be refilled from time to time. A circuit that relies on a repeated pump input has to be refilled more often.
I don't really know the specifics of how this works. It works though!

Back
Top Bottom