• For issues you find with the Switch and Console releases, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
  • 1.4 will bring many changes to the PC version. We strongly advise making plans to back up your worlds and players prior to updating your game. More details here.
  • Begin your search for Journey's End information here and here. Please report bugs and issues for Journey's End here.
  • For issues you find with the Mobile 1.3 update, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to DR Studios to look at your issue. Also, some troubleshooting hints here.

T:OW Your Thoughts

reznov523

Official Terrarian
:indifferent:This is a thread for what you think Terraria Otherworld will be/ what you expect and so on.
:rolleyes:This thread is NOT for theories, it's only for reviewing what we know and what you expect.)
-_-So before I place my thoughts, If you think T:OW will be horrible, please explain your reasoning.

:happy:With that out of the way, I would like to explain my thoughts.
I think Terraria: Otherworld will be a game that has a story and like Terraria, you would be able to do whatever you want with the player.
o_OI don't know how they are going to do this, but they never disappointed me so I think they will have the perfect solution.
:DI expect 400 hours out of this for the least. Even if it IS a reskin.

:(But, it's a little weird how they delayed the game 2 years from original launch. It's not a bad thing!
;)I'm just wondering how high their expectations are.

:happy: That concludes my thoughts about T:OW
( I use the Terraria emoticons to express how I feel about the statement )

Last edited:

Necrius

Skeletron Prime
Atm my thought "it's better be good from the day one". If I'll want some 2d sandbox mediocrity I'll buy Crea or Planet Centauri, from T:OW I expect hundreds of hours of pure exploratory and constructory joy.

Migui

Skeletron Prime
Well,in my opinion,T:OW will be a great game,with new items(probably the most of itens will be the same that in terraria with better graphics,i expect new npcs,we already have see the nurse,the guide,and a new npc like a snail.I think this will be a great investiment and will have sucess.Yes,they delayed the game 2 years,but because they don't liked the quality of the game,and seven months after the grapple trailer,they showed us with a beautiful graphics(the best pixel graphics game I have see ) and this game promises.Probably the game will not launch in this year,I expect a summer 2017 launch but who knows?This game can come out before that

Gotcha!

Pumpking
My thoughts? Hmm... I can only say two things about the matter.

Firstly, I don't expect anything from the game to save myself from being disappointed. This way chances will be a lot higher that I will be pleasantly surprised when playing the release. All the info there is about the game, I don't care for it. Stuff might change due to the game being in early development.

Secondly, I am glad they take all the time in the world with it. I don't give a rat's behind that the game has been delayed. Only fools would rather have an unfinished :red:ty product today than an error-free enjoyable product tomorrow. And look at the whole Starbound mess. If Chucklefish didn't make so many empty promises, didn't post about every little useless item they added to the game and if people would only have been able to play the 1.0 version then the game might not have been so damn disappointing.

Keep people in the dark, release the game when it's done, surprise the crap out of people. That's the way to go.

landstalker

Terrarian
What's the difference between late and delayed in game design terms? I 'm curious to hear your definition. ;)
Delayed is when it is universally agreed to wait to proceed with development, or to wait until releasing something.
You intentionally hold things back.
LATE is when mistakes are made or when people don't do things on time or deliver assets when they are supposed to and it fails to meet deadlines.
It hasn't stopped intentionally. It has broken down and needs major repairs before it can proceed.
So it misses one deadline and then another and so on.
That's the difference between delayed and late.
[doublepost=1474618247,1474617679][/doublepost]
Very relevant.
It was pretty clear to us at the time that Otherworld needed quite a bit of work - and even a good bit of rework - in a number of areas in order to hit that mark.
After all that time in development, it failed to meet with the approval of the guys at Re-Logic.
Staff who thought they knew what they were doing needed to be replaced in order for any progress to be made.
After two years in development.

Kazzymodus

Staff member
Delayed is when it is universally agreed to wait to proceed with development, or to wait until releasing something.
You intentionally hold things back.
LATE is when mistakes are made or when people don't do things on time or deliver assets when they are supposed to and it fails to meet deadlines.
It hasn't stopped intentionally. It has broken down and needs major repairs before it can proceed.
So it misses one deadline and then another and so on.
That's the difference between delayed and late.
While I don't completely agree with your definitions, according to your definition of 'late', the developers make the intentional choice of delaying the product instead of releasing it anyway, meaning that late is a direct results of delays. Thus follows that something can not be late, but not delayed: if something is late, then per your definition is has to be delayed as well.

landstalker

Terrarian
While I don't completely agree with your definitions, according to your definition of 'late', the developers make the intentional choice of delaying the product instead of releasing it anyway, meaning that late is a direct results of delays. Thus follows that something can not be late, but not delayed: if something is late, then per your definition is has to be delayed as well.
Something can be delayed but still arrive at a predetermined date or time.
Late means you have missed that predetermined date.
The delays have been caused by the parts of the project that Re-Logic have decided need reworking, addressing or replacing.
These delays have caused the project to now be late in arrival.
Completion was supposed to take a year.
Problems delayed the process and now it is Late.

I doubt the developers made the choice of delaying matters.
Re-Logic made the decision as the product obviously did not meet with their high standards and needed serious repair work to salvage the situation.
These repairs delayed forward progress and have now resulted in TOW being late.

Kazzymodus

Staff member
Something can be delayed but still arrive at a predetermined date or time.
Late means you have missed that predetermined date.
The delays have been caused by the parts of the project that Re-Logic have decided need reworking, addressing or replacing.
These delays have caused the project to now be late in arrival.
Completion was supposed to take a year.
Problems delayed the process and now it is Late.

I doubt the developers made the choice of delaying matters.
Re-Logic made the decision as the product obviously did not meet with their high standards and needed serious repair work to salvage the situation.
These repairs delayed forward progress and have now resulted in TOW being late.
Of course Re-Logic developers had a choice in delaying the game. They could've released the game after one year (which, just to reiterate, was an estimate and not a hard set deadline), but they chose not to, for the sake of quality.

This might sound like common sense, that delaying a product because its quality is lacking is an obvious decision, but that really isn't always the case. There are plenty of instances where a developer is forced to release a product early for financial reasons. Re-Logic not only wants to release a quality product, they are also in a financial situation which allows them to.

landstalker

Terrarian
Of course Re-Logic developers had a choice in delaying the game. They could've released the game after one year (which, just to reiterate, was an estimate and not a hard set deadline), but they chose not to, for the sake of quality.

This might sound like common sense, that delaying a product because its quality is lacking is an obvious decision, but that really isn't always the case. There are plenty of instances where a developer is forced to release a product early for financial reasons. Re-Logic not only wants to release a quality product, they are also in a financial situation which allows them to.
They couldn't have released the game after one year.
After the first year, nothing had been done.
After the second year, development had proceeded, but it was nowhere near finished.

Hyero

Terrarian
I wonder how long it'll be before they release another spoiler. Also I wonder if T:OW will make it this year - not too confident anymore tbh.
The Twitter account posts sometimes, usually a few times a day every week or two weeks answering questions, and, while the PR for T:OW is laughable at best, they have said they're going to try to post more frequently. I'm hoping for a spoiler around the next 3 major holidays.

I am going to expect a well balanced game! Multiple solutions to each problem... that's the problem I had with the some of the bosses in Terraria. Have a high box and nimbus rod? Welp Destroyer is destroyed! That is the best example... and I don't want to mention the other in case I start some backfire. I also Expect grinding to be an option but never mandatory. This is why I think the Terraria 1.1 update wasn't as good in my opinion. Lucky for us they changed the game to make more weapons and options to go through the game. I also Expect there to be cake. I love cake. And also to add to the "less" grindy part, I hope they will improve even more on the sure amount of random events and surprises throughout the game! Good examples of this in terraria are those really good items that are also optional. In hardmode mainly there are a ton of chances to gain random pretty cool items as well as the sort of standard Metal armors and such. Two good design elements of this are the Mimics and Biome Keys. Mimics are useally surprising monster and drop really good loot but not too good to be mandatory, and finding those REALLY rare items like the Blessed Apple (Forgot if they drop from hallowed mimics idk) feel so good to the player. Then of course that moment when you find a biome key feels amazing too. Also those weapons are optional and not completely optimal (At least now they aren't (cough) Vampire Knives) for bosses. Finaly I expect them to do a good job on optimizing this new game so it won't run down the same path a Starbound and run poorly if you don't have the magic spell of things in your pc for it to work.

reznov523

Official Terrarian
First of all, I would like to thank you all for giving your thoughts on the matter, and when you got in a debate you kept it civil.

I would like to express an updated version of my thoughts,
I have a lot of faith in Otherworld, the devs are taking great care of it seems.
:sigh:Though it does sadden me that they can't stick to a release date, I know its for a good reason.

Derpinator-9000

The Destroyer
My only concern is the lack of news. They went silent for 7 months, explained why, lead us on by releasing another spoiler shortly after. Now they have been silent again for 4 months.

Necrius

Skeletron Prime
Long silence can mean several things:
1) it is close-ish to release and it's pointless to make non-final teaser, but too soon to make final one with release date announcement.
2) they had to do another overhaul or had some other reason to significantly prolong or even reset development process to square one.
3) for some reason they just stopped caring about keeping the hype up. It's somewhat wise, since hype train can lead to big wreck.
4) There's no info that can be teased without major spoilers atm.

Top Bottom