• For issues you find with the Switch and Console releases, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
  • For issues you find with the Mobile 1.3 update, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to DR Studios to look at your issue. Also, some troubleshooting hints here.

T:OW Your Thoughts

Derpinator-9000

The Destroyer
Long silence can mean several things:
1) it is close-ish to release and it's pointless to make non-final teaser, but too soon to make final one with release date announcement.
2) they had to do another overhaul or had some other reason to significantly prolong or even reset development process to square one.
3) for some reason they just stopped caring about keeping the hype up. It's somewhat wise, since hype train can lead to big wreck.
4) There's no info that can be teased without major spoilers atm.
Yeah but, they have gone silent multiple times.

1 - Sure its not near release, was already delayed multiple times. They used to release spoilers weekly, they can release one before a final one.

2. I highly doubt they have to rework the entire game 1 month after reworking it

3 - Could lead to problems ( I.e nobody wanting to buy it)

4 - Still does not stop them from saying ANYTHING (Even like a tweet saying its going well) for 3-8 Months)

KaLul

Terrarian
Yeah but, they have gone silent multiple times.

1 - Sure its not near release, was already delayed multiple times. They used to release spoilers weekly, they can release one before a final one.

2. I highly doubt they have to rework the entire game 1 month after reworking it

3 - Could lead to problems ( I.e nobody wanting to buy it)

4 - Still does not stop them from saying ANYTHING (Even like a tweet saying its going well) for 3-8 Months)
Hahaha no :) Point 3 is impossible. TOW is like HL3 already. Everyone i know would buy it. anytime. No matter the costs.

From what i know if Dev's are silent it means more just like: Big Surprise. Im sure its close to be done.
Like 4-8 weeks maybe. After such a long silence they know we would go crazy about another info.

Derpinator-9000

The Destroyer
Hahaha no :) Point 3 is impossible. TOW is like HL3 already. Everyone i know would buy it. anytime. No matter the costs.

From what i know if Dev's are silent it means more just like: Big Surprise. Im sure its close to be done.
Like 4-8 weeks maybe. After such a long silence they know we would go crazy about another info.
Thats pretty right lol. Never even thought of that.

Gives me nightmares of the 7 month silence *shudders*

Shivan

Terrarian
Some people may not like this, but at my age ive already see this way too many times in software development.

I think the game was done, but the concept did not worked out, and figured it out way too late in the development line, its probably broken gameplay-wise for some reason or most likely a combination of things, they already expended all the budget and are trying to figure out if its better to pull the plug or try to fix the mess, it may not be viable to try to fix it.

Considering the lack of news, i think they are working on other projects, because they still have an agenda to follow. Its likely nothing has been worked on probably since the time they went dark the first time last year and they are waiting for *something* to happen that may bring this back to life.

I think they are going to come out one day and say it was canceled in favor of Terraria 2 or something, unless i start to see any sings this is still alive, lets say, frecuent updates and real activity on social media.

landstalker

Terrarian
Some people may not like this, but at my age ive already see this way too many times in software development.

I think the game was done, but the concept did not worked out, and figured it out way too late in the development line, its probably broken gameplay-wise for some reason or most likely a combination of things, they already expended all the budget and are trying to figure out if its better to pull the plug or try to fix the mess, it may not be viable to try to fix it.

Considering the lack of news, i think they are working on other projects, because they still have an agenda to follow. Its likely nothing has been worked on probably since the time they went dark the first time last year and they are waiting for *something* to happen that may bring this back to life.

I think they are going to come out one day and say it was canceled in favor of Terraria 2 or something, unless i start to see any sings this is still alive, lets say, frequent updates and real activity on social media.
The game was far from done.
It was certainly broken, in fact it was never NOT broken, even from day one.
I doubt that Re-Logic have expended the budget. They could easily keep throwing more money at the problem, but that is no guarantee that those responsible would be capable of ever clearing up their own mess.
The original development team are now spending all their time and efforts in publicizing their new projects.
T:OW has been removed from their home website completely.
It seems they have swept it under the carpet and are busy attempting to elevate their public image with new titles and make the industry forget how badly they dropped the ball on a potential multi-million dollar product.
If it is cancelled none of the blame lies with Re-Logic.
Perhaps Re-Logic's only failing was to put their trust in this external team.

Derpinator-9000

The Destroyer
The game was far from done.
It was certainly broken, in fact it was never NOT broken, even from day one.
I doubt that Re-Logic have expended the budget. They could easily keep throwing more money at the problem, but that is no guarantee that those responsible would be capable of ever clearing up their own mess.
The original development team are now spending all their time and efforts in publicizing their new projects.
T:OW has been removed from their home website completely.
It seems they have swept it under the carpet and are busy attempting to elevate their public image with new titles and make the industry forget how badly they dropped the ball on a potential multi-million dollar product.
If it is cancelled none of the blame lies with Re-Logic.
Perhaps Re-Logic's only failing was to put their trust in this external team.
Actually, T:OW Is still on the website

landstalker

Terrarian
Somebody didn't read my original posts correctly did they?
I wasn't talking about Re-Logic.
"The original development team are now spending all their time and efforts in publicizing their new projects.
T:OW has been removed from their home website completely."
Was it Re-Logic who was the original development team on T:OW?
Nope.
So, I was correct in stating that the project is no longer on the original team's home website.
I await your apology...my friend. ;)

Kazzymodus

Staff member
Was it Re-Logic who was the original development team on T:OW?
Technically, yes, it was. T:O was a collaboration between the two companies, Engine wasn't simply commissioned to make it. Re-Logic is as much (if not more, considering it's their IP) the original development team as Engine is, so the confusion is understandable.

landstalker

Terrarian
Technically, yes, it was. T:O was a collaboration between the two companies, Engine wasn't simply commissioned to make it. Re-Logic is as much (if not more, considering it's their IP) the original development team as Engine is, so the confusion is understandable.
Actually it was NOT.
Re-Logic licensed their product out to an external developer so that they could create another Terrarian product.
The design, graphics and code were developed by this external team and the problems that arose from this product is their responsibility, NOT Re-Logics.
If you don't actually work in the industry then you really don't understand the complications.
Speaking as someone who does work within the games development industry I can state without fear of contradiction that Re-Logic's only fault was in trusting an external developer with their IP.
Certainly they should have kept a tighter control on the development of this product, but they believed that the team involved was more than capable.
Again, this might be seen as being a flaw of theirs and in the fullness of time it has been proven that this was indeed the case.
They gave an external team far too much freedom and did not keep a tight hold on the product.
The result being a product that was far below the standard that Re-Logic feels is deserving of their fans.
The situation as it stands is that the product has been removed from the original development team and is now being "fixed" by either an in-house team at Re-Logic or by someone else they know they can trust.

So...there you have it.
To say that Re-Logic was the original development team of Terraria Otherworld is completely incorrect.
They developed Terraria, nothing else.

Actually it was NOT.
Re-Logic licensed their product out to an external developer so that they could create another Terrarian product.
The design, graphics and code were developed by this external team and the problems that arose from this product is their responsibility, NOT Re-Logics.
If you don't actually work in the industry then you really don't understand the complications.
Speaking as someone who does work within the games development industry I can state without fear of contradiction that Re-Logic's only fault was in trusting an external developer with their IP.
Certainly they should have kept a tighter control on the development of this product, but they believed that the team involved was more than capable.
Again, this might be seen as being a flaw of theirs and in the fullness of time it has been proven that this was indeed the case.
They gave an external team far too much freedom and did not keep a tight hold on the product.
The result being a product that was far below the standard that Re-Logic feels is deserving of their fans.
The situation as it stands is that the product has been removed from the original development team and is now being "fixed" by either an in-house team at Re-Logic or by someone else they know they can trust.

So...there you have it.
To say that Re-Logic was the original development team of Terraria Otherworld is completely incorrect.
You actually don't have any evidence that they made an product which did not meet Relogic's standards. There could be other reasons for Engine quitting the development.

Everything you're saying here is a theory and are not facts in any way.

Kazzymodus

Staff member
Actually it was NOT.

So...there you have it.
This is simply not true. The idea for Otherworld came from a discussion between the two (then) CEO's of Re-Logic and Engine. Because of the nature of the two companies in question (Engine being a Serious Game company and Re-Logic an Indie company), most of the work was delegated to Engine. This does not automatically mean that Re-Logic gave Engine a license to the Terraria IP and told them to make a game. It was a collaborative effort.

As for what the reason is behind Engine no longer being involved, and I feel I should have said this much earlier, is none of our business. We don't know what went down between the two companies, so we have no grounds whatsoever to speculate. Therefore, my suggestion is that we don't, and simply wait until we get an official update. This is not directed to you in particular, but a general message to everyone.

I know perfectly well how the game industry works. What I do not know, and nor do you or anyone else not actually working there, is how Engine and Re-Logic work individually.

landstalker

Terrarian
This is simply not true. The idea for Otherworld came from a discussion between the two (then) CEO's of Re-Logic and Engine. Because of the nature of the two companies in question (Engine being a Serious Game company and Re-Logic an Indie company), most of the work was delegated to Engine. This does not automatically mean that Re-Logic gave Engine a license to the Terraria IP and told them to make a game. It was a collaborative effort.

As for what the reason is behind Engine no longer being involved, and I feel I should have said this much earlier, is none of our business. We don't know what went down between the two companies, so we have no grounds whatsoever to speculate. Therefore, my suggestion is that we don't, and simply wait until we get an official update. This is not directed to you in particular, but a general message to everyone.

I know perfectly well how the game industry works. What I do not know, and nor do you or anyone else not actually working there, is how Engine and Re-Logic work individually.
Engine were behind the design and development.
As for not knowing how the original development teams works...you may be surprised.

Top Bottom