Game Mechanics "Tactical" Reloads - Because reloading is a way of life

Battle Bee

Terrarian
400px-Tediore_logo.png

This suggestion is sponsored by the Tediore corporation, the ultimate in gun reloading. Why use magazines when you can throw your guns like grenades?

Reloading in Terraria!

Before you punch me in the face for suggesting it, stay a while and listen.

Out of the 3 main archetypes in Terraria, the Ranger is in a weird place. Warriors rely on tankiness and speed, while Mages rely on skill by constant dodging and using hard-to-master weapons. Rangers rely on... shoot the thing until it dies. Another problem is that the Mage and the Ranger are quite similar, but one has so much more variety in weaponry. Ranged weapons almost always differ from one another with mere stat differences - faster fire rate, slower fire rate, etc.

I think reloading could add so much to the Ranger archetype, serving to make all weapons unique in some way and bring the Ranger to a playstyle where tactics and decision-making is important, as a counter to the two other "classes".

But just simply reloading is boring, and would not fit into Terraria. And that's why I suggest tactical reloads!

*cough* "Tactical". *cough*

So what do I mean by this? Well instead of reloading being a short time period in which you're completely out of the action, it could be used as an offensive tool! A defensive tool! It could just be silly!
Reloading would cause a certain something to happen, depending on the gun. It could be a small explosion to damage nearby enemies. It could completely change how the weapon works for the next magazine. It could be throwing your gun to deal damage. The possibilities are endless.

But first, the basics of reloading.

The Basics

Almost all non-arrow Ranged weapons now have to reload, and each have their own magazine sizes. Reloading is short, and on average takes about 2.5 seconds. While you have a bullet based gun selected, your Mana bar will be replaced with an Ammo bar. The Ammo bar has these adorable little bullets to symbolize the amount of shots left in your magazine --->
Bullet.png

Each Ammo bar bullet symbolizes 5 bullets, just like how each Mana star symbolizes 10 Mana. As the magazine is emptied, these bullets will fade and eventually disappear just like Mana stars.

On top of this, reloadable weapons now have two new stats under their tooltip; magazine size, reload speed. Reload speed is similar to use time, and depends on the amount of frames the reload requires. And just like use time, the reload speed rating goes from "Snail" to "Insanely fast"

And of course, reloading sometimes has a special effect applied to it. This effect changes per each gun.

Reloading can be manually done by pressing the new Reload key, default R. The Mount key is now rebound to V as default.

Reloading does not require new magazine items in your inventory. When you reload, the ammo needed to fill your gun is taken directly from your supplies.

Examples!

You know how reloading works. Now, let's look at some weapon examples and see how they function now!

This is the table for how reload speed is determined;

≤ 0.7 seconds = Insanely fast reload
0.8 - 1.3 = Very fast reload
1.4 - 1.9 = Fast reload
2 - 2.5. = Average reload
2.6 - 3.1 = Slow reload
3.2 - 3.7 = Very slow reload
3.8 - 4.3 = Extremely slow reload
≥ 4.4 seconds = Snail reload

Musket.png

Musket
1 magazine size
Reload speed matches use time

Technically, nothing has changed about this gun.

The_Undertaker.png

The Undertaker
8 magazine size
Fast reload

Reloading restores health depending on how empty the magazine was, up to 10 HP. Less bullets left in the magazine means more HP.

Star_Cannon.png

Star Cannon
9 magazine size
Slow reload

All enemies damaged by the Star Cannon gain the Starstruck debuff, making them glow yellow. Reloading the Star Cannon causes all Starstruck enemies to be targeted by stars that fall from the sky. These stars have the same properties as the stars shot by the Star Cannon.
In addition, Starstruck enemies are guaranteed to drop 2 Mana Stars on death.

Phoenix_Blaster.png

Phoenix Blaster
10 magazine size
Incredibly fast reload

Does not automatically reload. Manual reloading, or left-clicking while the gun has no ammo throws the gun. The thrown Blaster acts like a grenade with higher velocity, dealing double the weapon's damage and giving enemies On Fire!

If the weapon had any ammo in the magazine before reloading, all of that ammo is lost. However, the explosion deals bonus damage depending on how many shots were left in the mag.

Clockwork_Assault_Rifle.png

Clockwork Assault Rifle

30 magazine size
Average reload

Reloading toggles the gun between the default burst fire mode and the new sniper mode.

87jwv4I.gif

Clockwork Marksman Rifle
76 Ranged damage
23% crit chance
35 use time
No autofire
10 magazine size

Shoots High-Velocity Bullets if using Musket or Silver Balls.

Shotgun.png

Shotgun
8 magazine size
Average reload (All shots total)

Reloading alternates the gun between birdshot and buckshot shells.

While firing birdshot, the Shotgun deals the same amount of damage as default, but fires 4 more pellets.
While firing buckshot, the Shotgun gains +14 to damage, but fires the same amount of pellets as default.

Shots are loaded into the gun one by one. The reload can be inturrupted before the gun is filled completely.

Gatligator.png

Gatligator
180 magazine size
Slow reload

Fire rate increases as the magazine is emptied. Fire rate is doubled and reaches its maximum when at 50% magazine.

Megashark.png

Megashark
Infinite magazine size
Does not need to reload.

The Ammo bar does not show up with this gun held.

Venus_Magnum.png

Venus Magnum
6 magazine size
Very fast reload

The last shot of every magazine deals triple damage, pierces enemies and is homing. These special bullets will not home into enemies they've already damaged.

Uzi.png

Uzi
32 magazine size
Very fast reload

Reloading throws the gun. The thrown Uzi rapidly spins in the air, while shooting by itself at the same time. Shots fired from a thrown Uzi always have the properties of Musket Ball shots, and cannot deal critical hits. A thrown Uzi stops spinning and shooting once it has fired 32 bullets. The Uzi itself deals low damage and pierces through enemies.

If the weapon had any ammo in the magazine before reloading, all of that ammo is lost. However, the thrown Uzis' bullets deals bonus damage depending on how many shots were left in the mag.

Reload effect suggested by @TMB50!

Stynger.png

Stynger
18 magazine size
Fast reload

When reloaded, the Stynger shoots out 3 floating miniature Golem heads around the player. These Golem mines will stay stationary until an enemy gets near, at which point they will explode. The explosions deal lots of of damage, have very strong knockback and throw out large amounts of Stynger shrapnel. The mines will also explode automatically after 30 seconds.

Sniper_Rifle.png

Sniper Rifle
5 magazine size
Very slow reload

Does nothing on reload.

Increased damage from 185 to 258. Now has 5 defense penetration.

Tactical_Shotgun.png

Tactical Shotgun
12 magazine size
Fast reload

The last shot of every magazine is a nerve gas grenade. These grenades act like grenades fired by the Grenade Launcher, and release deadly toxic gas as they travel. Gas slows down and deals constant damage to enemies inside of it.

Inspired by @Kawagiri!

Xenopopper.png

Xenopopper
14 magazine size
Slow reload

Reloading spawns 12 to 16 of the bubbles that the gun shoots. Bubbles are spawned one after the other as the reload is in progress.

Electrosphere_Launcher.png

Electrosphere Launcher
8 magazine size
Fast reload

Reloading causes all nearby enemies to be struck with bolts of electricity, dealing very high damage. In addition, these bolts spawn the same electrosphere fields caused by the rockets fired from the Electrosphere Launcher.

Elf_Melter.png

Elf Melter
100 magazine size
Slow reload

Reloading causes a massive, fiery explosion around the player that leaves behind burning greek fire-like shrapnel. The explosion deals massive damage to enemies, sets them on fire, and knocks them back quite far.

If the weapon had any ammo in the magazine before reloading, all of that ammo is lost. However, the explosion has a bigger radius, deals more damage and inflicts stronger knockback depending on how much gel was left in the mag.

Snowman_Cannon.png

Snowman Cannon
15 magazine size
Average reload

Does not automatically reload. Manual reloading, or left-clicking while the gun has no ammo throws the gun. The thrown Snowman Cannon flies forward like a rocket, with a slight arc. On contact with a surface or enemy it explodes, dealing massive damage and creating 3 to 10 small cluster bombs shaped like tiny snowmen.

If the weapon had any ammo in the magazine before reloading, all of that ammo is lost. However, the explosion deals bonus damage and spawns more cluster bombs depending on how many shots were left in the mag.

Chain_Gun.png

Chain Gun
480 magazine size
Slow reload

Fire rate increases as the magazine is emptied. Fire rate is doubled and reaches its maximum when at 50% magazine.

Jack_%27O_Lantern_Launcher.png

Jack 'O Lantern Launcher
22 magazine size
Very slow reload

Reloading spawns 3-4 of the big scythe-like projectiles that Pumpkings shoot. Scythes automatically target nearby enemies and deal high damage.

Candy_Corn_Rifle.png

Candy Corn Rifle
60 magazine size
Very fast reload

Reloading disperses 40-60 Candy Corn in random directions at an extremely high rate. Candy Corn dispersed via reload have very slight knockback, but are the same in all other aspects. This does not use up any ammo.

Nailgun.png

Nail Gun
40 magazine size
Fast reload

Reloading causes all Nails to blow up immediately. Nails exploded this way deal 50% bonus damage.

The timer for Nails blowing up normally is now twice as long.

Vortex_Beater.png

Vortex Beater
40 magazine size
Fast reload

Does not automatically reload. Manual reloading, or left-clicking while the gun has no ammo throws the gun. The thrown gun flies slowly like a rocket and homes into enemies, and while homing into an enemy it shoots by itself. A thrown Vortex Beater will only shoot regular bullets and no rockets, and cannot deal critical damage. When the gun hits a surface or an enemy it explodes, dealing massive damage.

If the weapon had any ammo in the magazine before reloading, all of that ammo is lost. However, the explosion deals bonus damage depending on how many shots were left in the mag.

--OR--

Upon reload, the Vortex Beater ejects a glowing, unstable power cell forward. The power cell acts like a grenade with more range, much higher velocity and a short fuse time, but does not explode on contact with enemies. The power cell goes off with a small explosion, creating a singularity that sucks enemies in and deals constant damage. The singularity reaches critical mass after 5 seconds and explodes spectacularly, dealing extremely high damage and blasting nearby enemies away.

Reload effect suggested by @DJFlare84!

nQjWO0g.gif

Nucleus Neutralizer
(From here!)
5 magazine size
Extremely slow reload

Weapon can be charged up by holding left-click, like some other weapons. Charging takes 3 seconds. Releasing the mouse button consumes all 5 shots in the magazine and fires a large, slow moving projectile that zaps enemies near it with electricity, like the Magnet Sphere. On contact with a surface or enemy the projectile explodes, dealing 2.5x the weapon's damage within a massive radius.

Increased damage from 645 to 685.

S.D.M.G..png

S.D.M.G.
200 magazine size
Snail reload

Reloading while the gun is completely empty fires a large, red laser beam similar to the Moon Lord and the Saucer's Deathrays. The laser beam lasts for the duration of the reload, dealing extremely high damage and piercing all targets.

As the magazine is emptied, the gun emits a red glow and a "charging up" sound that grow more intense the emptier the magazine is.

I will be adding more weapons to the list above.

But for now, that's it for this suggestion! I'd love to hear your thoughts on, what I hope, is an interesting take on the rather disliked reloading concept.

Enjoyed my suggestion? Support it with this banner!

Code:
[url=http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/tactical-reloads-because-reloading-is-a-way-of-life.46769/][img]http://i.imgur.com/9Ib7ior.png[/img][/url]

Copy and paste the code above into your signature - it's 195 x 72!

Last edited:
I actually kind of like the suggestion, however a bit of feedback if I may.
Clockwork marksman seems like it would be more of a hindrance forcing extra reloads to swap back (unless I'm missing something.)
Also you seem to have missed out shotgun weaponry in particular.

I think sniper damage doesn't necessarily have to increase as proposed. It could still have a reload effect. "One shot, One kill".

I'm not up on the calculations, so correct me if I'm wrong, but the current reload is around 3.2 seconds listed above, at base speed it takes around 3 seconds to empty a magazine, so you've essentially made the sniper twice as slow but increased damage by 1/8th. The reload times could do with some work if this is the case.

Now once balancing is sorted out, here's where it gets funky. firstly, I believe this would work best if the sniper's reload loaded bullets seperately (i.e. 5 seperate reloads if clip is empty.)
Reloading whilst the sniper has 4 shots activates it's effect.
The effect would be increased damage, and a certain amount of armour piercing and/or critical hit chance.

(Just to clarify, the reason I thought to seperate loading bullets seperately for the sniper, is that if the reload speed is greater than use time, even with the efffect, using a full clip would be better than individual reloads.)

it's your call, I just want you to look through balancing before a decision is made as the reload times could potentially wreck guns entirely.
(for example standard mega shark would empty after 17.5 seconds, without any changes, a 3.2 second reload would take it to 20.7, 7.24 rounds per second instead of 8.57, essentially making it around 15% less effective.)

The venus magnum by the way, piercing enemies + homing, seems a little weird. It would be dodgy to make it not target the enemy it just pierced surely.

below is just an idea, however it could be quite interesting how it can be used if balanced correctly.

For the tactical shotgun reloading could fire a grenade that explodes on contact (non friendly fire), this could vary between shrapnel for all standard shots, incendiary for cursed, pool of ichor after explosion for ichor (inflicting ichor on any that walk on it.), Shrapnel+ for crystal (more shrapnel in the form of crystal shards which pierces targets), extra damage homing grenade for chlorophyte (no shrapnel), luminite grenade travelling gravity free, exploding at regular intervals instead of on contact (passes through targets but does not inflict damage on contact, only from explosions.)

I actually kind of like the suggestion, however a bit of feedback if I may.
Clockwork marksman seems like it would be more of a hindrance forcing extra reloads to swap back (unless I'm missing something.)
Also you seem to have missed out shotgun weaponry in particular.

I think sniper damage doesn't necessarily have to increase as proposed. It could still have a reload effect. "One shot, One kill".

I'm not up on the calculations, so correct me if I'm wrong, but the current reload is around 3.2 seconds listed above, at base speed it takes around 3 seconds to empty a magazine, so you've essentially made the sniper twice as slow but increased damage by 1/8th. The reload times could do with some work if this is the case.

Now once balancing is sorted out, here's where it gets funky. firstly, I believe this would work best if the sniper's reload loaded bullets seperately (i.e. 5 seperate reloads if clip is empty.)
Reloading whilst the sniper has 4 shots activates it's effect.
The effect would be increased damage, and a certain amount of armour piercing and/or critical hit chance.

(Just to clarify, the reason I thought to seperate loading bullets seperately for the sniper, is that if the reload speed is greater than use time, even with the efffect, using a full clip would be better than individual reloads.)

it's your call, I just want you to look through balancing before a decision is made as the reload times could potentially wreck guns entirely.
(for example standard mega shark would empty after 17.5 seconds, without any changes, a 3.2 second reload would take it to 20.7, 7.24 rounds per second instead of 8.57, essentially making it around 15% less effective.)

The venus magnum by the way, piercing enemies + homing, seems a little weird. It would be dodgy to make it not target the enemy it just pierced surely.

below is just an idea, however it could be quite interesting how it can be used if balanced correctly.

For the tactical shotgun reloading could fire a grenade that explodes on contact (non friendly fire), this could vary between shrapnel for all standard shots, incendiary for cursed, pool of ichor after explosion for ichor (inflicting ichor on any that walk on it.), Shrapnel+ for crystal (more shrapnel in the form of crystal shards which pierces targets), extra damage homing grenade for chlorophyte (no shrapnel), luminite grenade travelling gravity free, exploding at regular intervals instead of on contact (passes through targets but does not inflict damage on contact, only from explosions.)
Oh. I didn't realize just how big the nerf to the Sniper Rifle was. I don't think reloading one-by-one would work, because the Sniper Rifle visibly has a magazine in its sprite, but I'll buff it further!
And someone on Reddit suggested that weapons like the Mini and Megashark don't have reloading times, so I'm adding that too.

Really interesting suggestion, as a primary magic user in Terraria I completely feel that ranged and magic occupy very similar roles while magic has more variety between weapon to weapon, 80% of Terraria's ranged weapons differ by bullets and stats alone so adding reloading would be a good line to differentiate magic and ranged weapons. Although, considering that there's now a new stat A.K.A. reloading you might want to update the ranged armors just saying, also what about accessories that effect reloading? Perhaps an accessory that nullifies damage once when reloading takes into effect? Or shoots a separate set of projectiles when you reload? Or boost speed...it's something to take into account, especially when there's like four accessories for gunners, one is bow exclusive and the other two are combined to make the last one -_-

Typo in Phoenix Blaster's name! ;)

This is a great suggestion and having magazine sizes in Terraria would be kind of cool. Most of the time I play as ranger and when using guns I do agree that they are kind of boring.

You should also put some missing weapons like the Boomstick, Flintlock Pistol, Revolver, Red Ryder, Gatligator, Minishark, (Tactical) Shotgun, Uzi and the SDMG.

The shotguns could have an ability similar to that of the CAR which insteads makes them switch if they're firing pellets, buckshot or birdshot. In that order, the total damage and amount of pellets would increase, but accuracy and indivicual damage per pellet would be lower.
The Revolver could switch to a mode which causes all bullets to ricochet.
The Uzi could probabily be thrown upon reloading. The thrown gun would fire wildly upon hitting something, effectively acting as a literal bullet-sprayer.
The Chain Gun would be unable to be reloaded manually, and trying to do so would make it shoot all the ammo it carries at a greaty-accelerated rate (Or, in other words, it'll shoot so fast you won't even tell each shot apart until it's empty).

The shotguns could have an ability similar to that of the CAR which insteads makes them switch if they're firing pellets, buckshot or birdshot. In that order, the total damage and amount of pellets would increase, but accuracy and indivicual damage per pellet would be lower.
The Revolver could switch to a mode which causes all bullets to ricochet.
The Uzi could probabily be thrown upon reloading. The thrown gun would fire wildly upon hitting something, effectively acting as a literal bullet-sprayer.
The Chain Gun would be unable to be reloaded manually, and trying to do so would make it shoot all the ammo it carries at a greaty-accelerated rate (Or, in other words, it'll shoot so fast you won't even tell each shot apart until it's empty).
Hah, I love the Uzi idea! Though I think the more "standard" weapons like the Revolver, Sniper Rifle, Shotgun etc. shouldn't have special effects to them. The Tactical Shotgun launching grenades (By @Kawagiri) though, is a good idea.

I thought a good idea for terraria (or for a mod) is that the tactical shotgun drops shotgun shells every time you fire, and makes the chik-chik sound for reload

I love the idea and there are so many possibilities for this!
I have a few reload ideas:
A speed boost whilst you reload (perhaps you could also become invincible but deal no damage from any source, like TF2's Bonk)
Boomstick could release a load of molotov flames when you reload that spray around you as you move
Flintlock could create a cloud of gas that slows enemies and inflicts On Fire!

I am weirded that you didn't put the rocket launchers here, so when you reload them, they are launche like a homing missile, damage being increased by how much rockets were left on the magazine. Good job, huh, it's not a Borderlands 2 reference, totally not :). please make one weapon to divide in five and home in enemies for 7.5 seconds and drain their HP.
Edit: May I publish this on my account? It's a cool idea.

I have added more guns to the OP - the Snowman Cannon, the Electrosphere Launcher, the Uzi, the Shotgun and the SDMG!

I support except for throwing your guns. I'm going to assume that you lose the Phoenix Blaster when you throw it.
"Noo!!!! I used the only Handgun in this world to make that!"
I also assume that happens with the Snowman Cannon.
"Noo!!!! I killed so many Ice Queens to get that!"

I support except for throwing your guns. I'm going to assume that you lose the Phoenix Blaster when you throw it.
"Noo!!!! I used the only Handgun in this world to make that!"
I also assume that happens with the Snowman Cannon.
"Noo!!!! I killed so many Ice Queens to get that!"
No, you have an infinite supply of these guns.
Because... logic. Don't question it!

So you don't lose the guns?
Nope. When you throw the gun by reloading it, a new copy spawns in your hand. When you throw the Phoenix Blaster, you simply get a new copy of it.
The item Phoenix Blaster does not change however. It works exactly like throwing Possessed Hatchets, Boomerangs, etc.

Oh, and you can have more than one thrown gun at a time.

Back
Top Bottom