Tales From the Post War

What wait? Tod has a wife? He is a wuss! How did that happen?!
[doublepost=1513130431,1513130384][/doublepost]Also, should I post a character sheet for the character idea I have so you can look it over?

Akihiro Tanaki (Matthus)
Epic karate man with black hair. A young Akihiro, after marathoning 19 separate animes over the course of 2 months decided to commit his life to the martial arts (like his "heroes"). 30 years later (he is now 42), his training has paid off as he is now a master in an ancient pressure-point based fighting style. Like his inspirations (the anime heroes of old), he seeks to bring peace and balance to the world with the power of violence and discount karate. He will only use his powers for what (he believes) is good.
Lawful Good.
Male
No current faction
HP: 300/300
Most Proficient Weapon Type: Fists
Least Proficient Weapon Type: Any actual weapon (he fights with his hands not pointy sticks)
C-chips: 100
Base ATK: 50
Items:
  • Karate outfit. Does very little to protect one's body. A little intimidating to foes.
  • Knuckles of Steel. Hardest knuckles in the universe. Will :red: your :red: up.
Ability: Martial Arts (an array of rapid melee attacks that deals 60 dmg)

Abilities:
  • Fists of Fury: Akihiro channels all of his pressure-point training into a flurry of precision strikes. These strikes to these pressure-points cause the body to collapse in on itself. Unless the target of this attack is immediate medical attention by a good doctor, the target will receive 500 damage at the end of their next turn. "Omae wa mou Shindieru". Takes 5 turns to charge after use. Recharges at the end of combat. Only works at melee range. Does not work on machines.

• Defection: Akihiro uses his turn in preparation of an attack (his turn is wasted when he does this). The first attack to strike Akihiro or anyone in his immediate vicinity will be neutralized. Now Akihiro is not useless in vehicle combat. Takes 3 turns to recharge after use.

• Leaping Strike: Akihiro leaps to a more-distant target and hits them with his fists for 30 dmg (this is more for mobility than any actual combat use). Takes 2 turns to recharge.
Passives:
  • Honor-bound: Will not back down from a challenge by those who are enemies to peace and balance. Can not be intimidated out of doing anything. Will not attack "friends".

• Martial Arts Only: May not use any armor or guns.
[doublepost=1513134109,1513133636][/doublepost]I get the feeling that this character will be broken as hell in some situations. However, I have tried to balance him out by making him the other kind of broken in other situations.

Pros: Very good in non-vehicle combat. Decent meat shield. Funny (at least to me) character concept. Doesn't need equipment.

Cons: Near-useless in vehicle-on-vehicle combat. All Passives are negative. Passives greatly hinder flexibility. Can't use most equipment.

Seems mostly okay to me. What do you think, IHATE?

Ok. Akihiro is basiclly a more-extreme Byron. Byron is great at melee combat and can use guns if necessary. Akihiro is the god of melee combat, but cannot use guns.

• Fists of Fury: Akihiro channels all of his pressure-point training into a flurry of precision strikes. These strikes to these pressure-points cause the body to collapse in on itself. Unless the target of this attack is immediate medical attention by a good doctor, the target will receive 500 damage at the end of their next turn. "Omae wa mou Shindieru". Takes 5 turns to charge after use. Recharges at the end of combat. Only works at melee range. Does not work on machines.

IHATE has been telling me how Akihiro's "Fists of Fury" move is way powerful. After discussing it further, I will allow the change of making the ability work only once per battle. I, personally, think that this change will help make Akihiro reasonable. Akihiro is only useful in non-vehicle combat, and even then he needs to get right up to the enemy in order to help. He cannot use many stat improving item (like a gun or armor), he can only attack certain people, etc. Akihiro is very situational. The "Fists of Fury" attack is supposed to make him good in his situation. Even then, the attack also already suffers from the fact that it can be countered by any healing move, gives the enemy another move before they die, only works at point-blank, and doesn't work on machines of any kind (robots?). IHATE suggested making the move only useable once ever (which I think is ridiculous because I am left with a crippled a character after it is used). I thought about doing a damage reduction, but I am not so sure now considering that 2 characters (who are way more flexible and have non of Akihiro's extreme downsides) could deal similar levels of damage to a foe without too long of a cool-down if they coordinated their attacks. What about a warm-up? What if Akihiro has to be fighting for 5 turns before he can use "Fists of Fury"? Nice idea, but the longest non-vehicle fight was 6 turns. The dust would have settled before the move would even take effect. The last alternative would be to rewrite the character as a whole to change his balance, but I would rather it not come to that as I already have spent 2 hours on him.

TLDR: Akihiro is a bad and very limited character without "Fists of Fury". Too many/harsh nerfs to that ability may very well make it (and him) practically unusable, thus crippling Akihiro (the karate man who has devoted his life to karate) as far as being useful with his karate is concerned.

Well, since, @Matthus decide to submit their second character, I'll do mine. (This is an entry.)
Fred "the gunner" (tappaja100)
An extremely skilled gunsman from somewhere in Europe, he's a former member of one of the spec ops crews that all got broken when the bombs dropped.
Faction: Mercenaries
HP: 275/275
Most Proficient Weapon type: Pistol and rifle
Least Proficient Weapon Type: all melee
C-chips: 100
Base ATK: 25
Items:
  • Custom modified VSS Vintorez: A silenced VSS Vintorez sniper rifle. (70 dmg) (20 ammo cap)
  • Beretta 90two (35 dmg) (10 ammo cap)
(Fun fact: both are real guns and spelled correctly.)
  • Lightweight military armor: Simple lightweight suit of military armor (20 dt)
Ability: Basic Attack

Abilities:
Unload: fires up to 6 shots from any pistol, except ones that have ammo cap (clip size) less than 6, then it empties the mag. (Requires reload if gun mag's 6 or less.)

Passives:
Stealthy: He tends to usually get past enemies unnoticed when he wants to.
Sniper: will almost always hit his target at any distance, can't miss at close range.

Last edited:
Fun fact: My original plan for my second character was gonna be melee, but tbh, there's already enough living melees.

@dyer5lollipop
Rami and Christian aren't two characters. They're one character with another personality. Christian cannot interact with the world in any way if it's not physically through Rami.

IHATE has been telling me how Akihiro's "Fists of Fury" move is way powerful. After discussing it further, I will allow the change of making the ability work only once per battle. I, personally, think that this change will help make Akihiro reasonable. Akihiro is only useful in non-vehicle combat, and even then he needs to get right up to the enemy in order to help. He cannot use many stat improving item (like a gun or armor), he can only attack certain people, etc. Akihiro is very situational. The "Fists of Fury" attack is supposed to make him good in his situation. Even then, the attack also already suffers from the fact that it can be countered by any healing move, gives the enemy another move before they die, only works at point-blank, and doesn't work on machines of any kind (robots?). IHATE suggested making the move only useable once ever (which I think is ridiculous because I am left with a crippled a character after it is used). I thought about doing a damage reduction, but I am not so sure now considering that 2 characters (who are way more flexible and have non of Akihiro's extreme downsides) could deal similar levels of damage to a foe without too long of a cool-down if they coordinated their attacks. What about a warm-up? What if Akihiro has to be fighting for 5 turns before he can use "Fists of Fury"? Nice idea, but the longest non-vehicle fight was 6 turns. The dust would have settled before the move would even take effect. The last alternative would be to rewrite the character as a whole to change his balance, but I would rather it not come to that as I already have spent 2 hours on him.

TLDR: Akihiro is a bad and very limited character without "Fists of Fury". Too many/harsh nerfs to that ability may very well make it (and him) practically unusable, thus crippling Akihiro (the karate man who has devoted his life to karate) as far as being useful with his karate is concerned.
How about once per fight with a 5 turn cooldown?

Back
Top Bottom