Member-Run Project Tales of the Hero (As seen in Creation Compendium)

Who is your favorite character so far? What characters would you like to see more of?

• Andrea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ron

• The Hero

• Autumn

• The Mad Cultist

• Beast of the Moon

• Every single monster slain by the Hero

• The Seeds

• The Gates

• Total voters
Have you ever wondered what Terraria would be like if it had a story? Ever curious what relation the different NPCs had, or where that weird item came from? Look no further! Originally designed as a one-off, I enjoyed the world I created so much as to make it be published with monthly editions in the Creation Compendium, starting in October 2015. As chapters are released in the Creation Compendium, they will be added here to act as a hub for new readers, or those who wish to go through the series a second time. Any relation of this series to another is simply coincidental. Without further ado, enjoy the literature experience that is "Tales of the Hero."

Author's note:
Due to nigh unavoidable mildly violent and/or implied violent situations occurring within the story, I have personally deemed it to be PG or PG-13. You may read before then, but I do warn you. While the violence is sparingly used, it is there, and it may be slightly too intense for young readers. Reader discretion heavily advised. Such things may include, but is not limited to: gore, implied gore, death scenes, and implied death
TL;DR Don't sue me please!

Last edited:
Diary Entry

December 31st, 1954

I had awoken in a dark place, with the entrance blocked and a tunnel in front of me. Something didn't feel right. The air was full of the stench of rot and decay. The smell fought the calm sounds of the ocean, my senses were in complete disharmony. Where was I...and why did I feel an evil presence?

My knees feel weak and my stomach growls for food as the endless trees, frost-covered tundra's, and scorching deserts have taken their toll on me over the past few weeks. Not now stomach, I'll feed you later, I think to myself, practically drooling as another rabbit passes by, and I hear the sounds of ducks in the distance, practically yelling at me to eat them. "Hey Ron, how much farther is it? I'm having a hard time keeping up, and my stomach is preparing a workers strike."

"Not much farther no-", he stops as we see a pleasant beach, and his eyes go wide, as he exclaims with utter joy: "This is it, this is the place I dreamt about! I told you it wasn't made up, I just knew it was here! It's so calm, it's the perfect place to build a house...no! A fortress, with libraries all over and dining rooms and - ooh! I'm just so excited!!" He was practically exploding at this point from sheer excitement, I wondered how long it would be until I'd see Ronny pull me into the frenzy too.

He got like this often; he'd think about doing something, then drag me into whatever plans he had. When he'd get the chance to begin his project, he'd just start laughing like a hyena and jumping around until you'd think his feet would break off! I felt him grab my arm and start to shake me in rhythm with himself like maraca. "Stop! I'm going to fly away if you keep bouncing me like this!!"

"Aww, you're no fun! I'll go and start building while you get a fire going and get some food; I bet you'll make something good enough to rival my awesome fortress!" He said before bolting away, leaving me in a cloud of smoke, forcing me to be the one to catch dinner...again. I sigh and start making a fishing pole out of some palm trees to take advantage of the nearby beach. I tie a bell made from a hollowed-out seashell to my new pole and cast the line. I then gather some herbs for flavor, and spend the day snoozing, occasionally waking up when I hear the bell ring.

Night falls, and I cook up the fish on my expertly crafted fire. He was late as usual, but I didn't let it bother me. After all, no Ronny meant twice (or, more like three or four times, knowing him,) the food for me! If he wanted food, he should've gotten here sooner. I start to dig in as a very hungry looking Ronald leaned over me. "No fair! I was working all day, and now I don't get to eat? C'mon, you have so much food, let me just have a little bite!" He gave puppy dog eyes after the similarly canine begging routine I always fell for.

I rolled my eyes and scooted over, letting him get nice and warm by the fire. I don't know why I put up with his ridiculousness for so long. I guess it's because we were each other's only "family," as small or as dysfunctional as it may be. "Hey Ronny, how'd the building go?" I say with a smile.

"Pretty awesome if I say so myself," he buffed his chest out proudly as he continued "I made some bricks and dyes! I got a bunch of the actual building done too, wanna see!?" He was again acting in his typical, if overexcited, Ron way. I was too tired to be tossed around like a ragdoll just to look at a pile of bricks, so I simply yawned to convey my feelings.

"You're right, it is getting pretty late. Hey, do you ever look at the moon at night? If you look close enough, it looks kinda like a face. It looks pretty red tonight, I bet that's because even the moon is blushing in embarrassment knowing it'll never be as cool as my fort!!" I simply sigh as I gather leaves to use for a bed, not interested in his embarrassed moon. A red moon, a face? Maybe I should've kept the herbs in a better hiding spot...

Diary Entry
January 1st, 1955

As I went through the cave, I heard a roar; unnatural, inhuman. I ran as fast as I could, I didn't know what it was, but I knew it wanted me dead. The roar was getting louder, and I couldn't escape! I was good as dead, so I made my peace. Just then, my final words were suddenly cut off and...

I awaken in the forest, yawning as I look to see where the sun is. It's no surprise that I overslept again. What is a surprise, however, is my alarming lack of clothes. Andrea, you stupid woman, maybe you're the one who should stay away from those herbs! I scold myself silently. I quickly address the lack of clothing as I make some silk from the hanging cobwebs, and use the leaves from my bed to make a loincloth. I look around, realizing my "alarm clock" didn't come in and shake me to death. "Ron?!" I yell, looking for that constantly sugar-high ball of excitement. I look above the canopy and start dashing as soon as I see it.

I just stand there, amazed, as I gaze at the gigantic structure before me. Did he really build this in one day? I wondered as I walked up the brick staircase, plugging my nose as a horrible stench hits me. I forgot about it soon after I saw the even worse sight. Was that him?! He looked sleep deprived and almost like he was in a trance. "Ronny!! Are you okay!?" I yell to the sunken-eyed man in front of me, who I only recognized by the kind and location of the building he was in.

"Hey Drey...I made a new friend last night, he helped me build all this. All I had to do was help him a bit, you should meet him...he really liked the moon last night, too." He said in a tone that sounded almost like he wasn't even aware he was talking. He didn't even have that usual Ronny brand pep that was practically trademark "Scott Ron Parker." He definitely wasn't himself, and whoever did this to him had better hope I don't meet them. "Come on, I'll show you around..."

It was dark, really dark. I'm glad I brought torches along as we headed deeper. We must've been really far above ground at the entrance, because I could still just barely hear the chirping of birds. Being in dark silence allowed me the displeasure of noticing that awful smell again. The sparrow's song and the horrifying stench clashed, fighting for my attention.

All of a sudden, I heard a monstrous roar from below; an unnatural roar, but not an unfamiliar roar. I often had a nightmare that I was being chased by something...and then that roar - this roar! "We have to run, now!!" I grip him tightly as I start ascending the stairway as fast as I could, not wasting a moment to look behind me.

"C'mon Drea, he's just saying hello...he wants you to help him. You'll help me make my fortress bigger, don't you want that? They didn't like it either, but I made due anyway. They make great walls..." I dropped him as I realized what the stench was. I wanted to vomit, but I didn't dare slow down for any reason. I didn't go back for him, I only cared about surviving.

I trusted him, and he tried to kill me...I thought we were family. Something in that moon...something in that forest, in his fortress...no, his dungeon. Whoever was talking to me, he... it wasn't my Ronny. I managed to evade that thing by running to the other end of the land, and hiding in this jungle. I won't come back until I know someone can protect me. Until a Hero proves him or herself to me by destroying a great evil, a Servant of the Beast of the Moon. He wasn't Scott Ron, he was a Skeletron, and that monster is his Dungeon's Guardian.

Diary Entry
June 30th, 2015

It's been a long time, but I think I've found my Hero. The Hero killed a Servant and started to bring peace. He made me a house, and invited me to stay where it was safe with him and the others he's helped. I've decided to join the Hero in this quest, and help by giving whatever supplies I can. This is the start of a new chapter in Terrarian history, the chapter of the Hero, and the downfall of the Beast of the Moon. I'll write again when this war against the force controlling my Ronny is over, if I survive. Hurry Hero, save my Ron, and make sure no others fall victim like he did.

Signed,

Andrea Danielle Clayson,
The Dryad
"If I slow down, he will surely find me and slay me like the others, kekeke! The fools should've run, their arrows were but insect bites to him. Even Leader's magic, unmatched by all, could do nothing to stop that monster, kakaka! I must place the seeds for the Master's return before Leader is defeated so that his sacrifice can bring about the End, Kikiki!" The masked figure said as he leapt through the trees, planting 4 magical seeds of various types; Vortex, Nebula, Solar, and Stardust. "The End will soon come, kokoko!"

"This is the end for you, Beast of the Moon! Perish and suffer for what you forced Ron to do!" Said the Hero, righteous fury in his eyes. He dealt a harsh blow with his blade from a world apart, which he named the "Influx Waver." The Hero swung his Slicer toward the cultist, but missed! "Curses! What trickery is this?? The Waver always hits it's mark!" As he regained his bearings, he couldn't believe his eyes! "Three?!" He exclaimed, noticing that the Lunatic who had been singular, was now in triple.

"Now you see that you have no business interfering with the Beast of the Moon, foolish mortal. We are the ultimate!!" He said as the three that were once one started to chant, summoning a sky dragon. "Now pay for your actions!" The Hero leapt into the air, dodging the air-beast’s charge. As the Hero jumped, he moved the blade downward as the dragon flew through it, cleving it clean in two with a single precise swing.

As the Hero refocused upon the Lunatic Cultist, he noticed that his target was no longer there. Before he could re-discover the location of his opponent, he was struck in the back by an explosive blast. Not allowing time for recovery, the Cultist fired two more blasts and cackled, “So much for revenge, the ‘mighty Hero’ was slain prematurely, Huhuhu!”

All at once the laughing ceased. The cultist saw there wasn’t a Hero lying defeated, nor was there anything but air where he struck. Thinking quickly, the mad worshipper flew back, chanting to summon the dragon once more as he split into four this time. The Hero rushed in, his eyes quickly taking in information, as those same eyes grew wide. “There! The real one is there!” He slashed, the beam striking true.

“I’m not finished yet!” said the Cultist, barely surviving the fierce attack. “Let’s see you travel faster than light itself!!” He fired out a portal, which quickly fired a barrage of electric energy toward the Hero. The cultist was the one shocked by the outcome, instead of the intended target. The Hero absorbed the electricity into his Blade, supercharging the weapon with energy.

“With this attack, feel the pain of those you controlled. Feel the pain of the family you ripped apart. Begone, vile Beast of the Moon!!” He put all his force into one last swing, but the Cultist refused to be defeated, as he charged a orb of winter’s chill toward the Hero. The Blade’s beam sliced through the orb like it hasn’t existed at all, and struck the Cultist a final time.

The raving lunatic lay on the ground, but said "I've already won, hahaha! You and this world are going to be destroyed!! So that you are aware, I am not the Beast of the Moon, hehehe! The true Beast of the Moon is my Lord, with times over the strength I have, and you cannot stop his return, hohoho!"

With this, the cultist disappeared, leaving only a mask and strange machine of unknown purpose or origin in it's place. Before the Hero could contemplate what he meant, the ground began to shake and a giant obelisk sprung from the ground. The object floated in air, and all of a sudden the sky changed from bright blue to deep green, and a force field appeared around the pillar. As this happened, thunder crashed, and enemies flew in from all sides.

The Hero drew his blade and cut through the enemies with skill and precision, the beams of energy fired from the weapon's tip outclassing his opponent's blasts. He narrowly manages to dodge a portal appearing behind him, as lightning shoots from it. He had no problem dispatching the enemies atop his flying machine from a world apart.

All of a sudden, however, he finds himself levitating, unable to fly or fall. He tries hard to get his aircraft to move him, but it refuses to provide lift. Before he knows it, he finds himself being stared down by a monster (an ugly one at that), with a projectile moving right for him. Thinking fast, he ejects himself from the vehicle, using his trusty grapple to swing to safety, then firing the sword beam at his foe.

While he made it unharmed, his ship suffered irreparable damages, so it would seem he would need to resort to other methods of evasion now. All of this would wait, as with that last enemy, the tower was now vulnerable. "The vile creatures must've been linked to the pillar! Now is my chance, strike true, my Influx Waver!" He shouts as the beam hits dead on, but the pillar was intact still.

"Pah! Tougher than I thought, but none thus far have survived the true power of the world apart's finest edge! Strike now, and destroy that evil structure!" He exclaimed, and he moved the sword to his right hand leaving his left hand free. Enemies were still coming, and he was surrounded, but keeping calm, he moved both hands in tandem with one another. "Now you fall." He said as he laid his hands to his side, and out of nowhere a flurry of energy beams sliced through his foes with frightening accuracy.

"Now that the distractions are gone, let us continue where we left off!" He said as he raised both hands, spread them apart as far as he could while stretching his fingers, and all at once pushed his arms together, clasping the hands in a fist. Within a few moments, ten energy blades crashed from both sides of the pillar, as the floating object of terror bursts into an explosion of light, and the sky returns to normal.

As it was destroyed, his mind suddenly went numb, he was without thought of any kind, but as suddenly as it came, it passed. "That settles that! Now the Beast of the Moon is forever prevented from being awoken. My spacecraft and blade are broken, however. Let's see what Autumn can do to fix my ship, whilst I work on re-energizing the Influx Waver. I must remain vigilant!" Without a ship, he is forced to take his railway back to HQ.

All at once, he sees the sky start to change color once more, this time to a neon cyan. "The moon shouldn't be out right now, it's mid-day! Maybe Andrea has some info on...no! This can't be happening!! The HQ!!!" He gazed on in utter disbelief as his former home, shared by dozens of others, was absolutely destroyed. “Drey? Ron?! Autumn!! Anyone…?” He slammed his fist into the rubble, tears soaking the ground, as he felt utterly helpless. That was it, this had gone too far, too many innocent people had gotten involved.

“Come on out, cowards! If you want a fight, I will give you one!! How dare you take away the ones I care for? I swear that I’ll avenge those who were lost, and I’ll-” He was cut off by a whirring sound, and punched as hard as he could behind him. An orb of electric energy burst into starry dust, as the attempted ambush was thwarted. “I’ll destroy you all with my bare fists if I have to.”
The seeds are the key to a curse
The curse shall plague the world soon
The Void of the Universe:
Home of the Beast of the Moon

Infused with Vortex, swirling inside
Infused with Stardust, glitters in air
Infused with Nimbus, in fog it hides
Infused with Solar, burns like a flare.

“Lunar Tablet 1”

The air sparkled as the electrified orb that charged the hero was shattered with a single punch. “I’ll destroy you all with my bare fists if I have to.” The Hero called out to any and all challengers. He scanned the area around him, always alert, when all at once he felt the pain of a large amount of electricity coursing through his body. The smell of seared skin wafted through the air, as he turned to see what caused such immense pain. The orb he had thought he’d destroyed was not only still alive, but was preparing for another assault.

He quickly rolled out of the way and reached for his sword. He swung at the sphere, which discharged through the metal of his sword. The overwhelming shock racing through the blade and superheated it, shattering the dull blade. The Hero looked at his broken sword, as a mixture of emotions ran through him. He was barely standing, but the creature was unrelenting. He could no longer fight, and was forced to flee. Suddenly, a giant worm flew through the sky and swooped down at him. He rolled across the dirt, only just barely managing to get out of the way as he quickly got back up and continued running.

“At this rate,” he thought to himself “I’ll never survive! I can’t keep this up, I have to find some place to hide!” His thoughts were clouded by anxiety at the chaos that surrounded him. He was so enthralled by adrenaline that he didn’t notice the wall until he was certain that he would collide face-first! Expecting to feel the pain of rock colliding with face, he instead felt nothing. The wall that was previously in front of him gave way for a split second before closing once more behind him. He ducked as a wrench flew exactly where his head was just a second prior, and he checked to make sure it was still there right now.

At that moment the Hero spotted what looked to be an angry looking woman with yellow suspenders and a red undershirt. “You'd better leave before I get angry, you blue bastards!” she said, “You don’t wanna end up like the last one-” She paused to take in what she was seeing. She began rubbing her eyes a bit, then looked at the person before her in disbelief. “Is it…” she paused, still struggling to regain composure. “...is it really you? No, it can't be.” she continued, “I’m sorry, I thought you were another one of those horrible creatures. I built this as soon as I realized I was in danger, but…” She hung her head in shame. “...I didn’t even think about the others. They could be dead!” She paused for a bit, hanging her head even lower, then continued, “They could be dead and I’m sitting here like a coward, hiding. All I could think about was saving myself.” She sighed.

“Here, sit down. I know it’s not much, but I was in a hurry. Are you hungry?" She said as she handed me a bowl of fish gumbo "It’s only been a couple hours, but it feels like I’ve been in here forever. It was all so sudden. One moment it was nice (I was about to finally talk to Tordak), the next moment all these weird things were attacking. I assumed you failed, so I prepared this area here.” Suddenly, her eyes gleamed. “Oh! I see you brought me something!” She said as she snatched up the odd machine that the Hero had almost forgotten about entirely. She also took the pieces of the broken pillar from before and got to work. “This might take a while, why don’t you tell me how you got so beat up?”

As the Hero explained, the Mechanic known as Autumn worked diligently on whatever it was she was focused on. “Only you could manage to - in just a couple hours - break your sword, a UFO, and wind up half dea-” Her work and lecture were interrupted, and a ear-piercing scream was let out. The Hero had watched helplessly as an arrow of energy pierced through her, and she fell to the ground. Thinking fast, he worked to patch up the hole that the energized ammunition was fired through, and then ran to Autumn. “Don’t worry about me, I’m too badly hurt. Just…” She coughed up a bit of blood, but continued “Just finish the bow and gun. Make sure that I’m the last casualty…”

The Hero used his last healing potion on her, then bent down to be at eye level with her.. “I promise I’ll bring back Heather. Just stay alive until then, I’ll be back for you.” He said as he got to work finishing the job she started. After some tinkering, he managed to finish up the bow, but saved the gun for later. Equipping his quiver, he ran out of the cave only to be greeted by the same type of arrow that wounded Autumn. Taking aim, the Hero matched the arrow of energy with his own. His aim was ever sharp, as his arrow hit directly, slaying the beast. In its death throes, the creature let out a flurry of arrows that nicked the Hero.

I have to be more careful, I have to at least live long enough to save her. He thought as he ran to find the second pillar. As he proceeded farther, more and more of the arrow monsters appeared, too quickly for him to destroy. Suddenly, a laser whizzed past him. He was already tired, his wounds nearly getting the better of him. More lasers came, and he dodged the best that he could. He finally came to the pillar, and it started creating more and more monsters.

“This is insanity!! I was hoping I wouldn’t be forced to put all my hope into this, but it seems that it’s my only option. Autumn, I very much hope that you knew what it is you were doing!” he said as he pulled out the gun. He loaded it with rounds and took aim. The recoil winded him to the point that he nearly fell to the ground, and it fired several shots at once. “Such power, I like this!” he said with a smirk, but while he was standing in awe of his new weapon, more and more enemies surrounded him.

Taking notice, the hero started to fire, dispatching the foes with frightening accuracy. For every one enemy he defeated, however, three more were created. He was completely surrounded when he noticed a switch on the side of the barrel. Upon flipping the switch, the gun started to glow a vibrant green as an orb of energy swirled at the muzzle. The orb grew larger and larger and the entire body of the rifle shook. Once it reached it’s peak capacity it fired a single burst of explosive energy into the air.

Nothing happened. Nothing at all came of the last hope of the Hero, and he was out of options. He frantically tried to fire the gun again, but the barrel shattered from the force of the shot. Just when it seemed all was lost, the orb exploded in the air and broke off into smaller pieces. Each shard of energy homed in on a separate enemy and before long, they were all dispatched. As the foes were defeated, the barrier of the pillar lowered. Every shard that had not been used on an enemy converged at a single point. The orb flew at the pillar, absolutely annihilating it. As it disintegrated, all at once he was overwhelmed with pain. It felt as though he was going to explode. As suddenly as the pain came, however, it left him.

He picked up the loose shards it left behind, and went towards the jungle to find Heather. One way or another, he was going to find Autumn help, and she was her only hope. “I’ll save you. Hold on, be strong. I promise that somehow, I’ll save you.”​

Coming Soon:
Four seeds were planted, placed upon 4 pedestals, linked to 4 Cosmos Gates. The gates were as such:

The Green Gate of Vortex, whose energy swirled like a galaxy,

The Blue Gate of Stardust, whose energy sparkled like the evening sky,

The Purple Gate of Nimbus, whose energy passed over it like a haze,

The Red Gate of Solar, whose energy burned with the passion of the sun.

“Lunar Tablet 2”

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom