Member-Run Project Tamers Network Project

Nakano15

Terrarian
--- This project is currently halted. ---

!!!
Check out this for the current information about the project !!!

Tamers Network Project is a monster taming game, whose purpose is to give you an adventure, and a world to explore.

I have played many games where your character can capture and train monsters, but none of them actually gives you a feel of freedom or adventure, or even give you the feel that It's your own adventure, you play the story of someone who has been fortunate to be a monster trainer. Most likelly, those games have linear paths you have to follow to reach the end of the game.

The difference between Tamers Network Project and other games, is that not only I'm trying to value the monsters and make them unique by themselves, but I also want to make so the player isn't actually a vehicle used to move through the world, so your character can actually have It's own use on the world.

The game is also planned to have cooperative gameplay, where you can party up, either with npcs, or other players, to be able to explore the world, and possibly tackle on tough challenges on the way. The world is open and isn't linear, If the map has 3 openings on the sides, you can try going to any of those. Of course It may end up having PvP gameplay, but that isn't my focus, but I do know that many people likes that in a game.

If you want news about the project, you can check up the updates on the project here, in this topic I will give only the summary of what happened during a certain time of development.

- NFT

Last edited:
It looks cool, but... I'm not sure what I can do. I suppose I could draw if anything, but I'm not a superstar drawer or anything.

It looks cool, but... I'm not sure what I can do. I suppose I could draw if anything, but I'm not a superstar drawer or anything.
May be of help, beside this project is going to be kinda big.
But at first will start in slow steps.
Edit:. Also, as said above, if you are interessed, send-me a proof of skill through private message to my profile.

Nature_Porcupine_Robot_Raccoon_Magic_Opossum.jpg

I decided to show some of my starter concepts that I showed to Nakano15 before spriting them. I'm hoping I can draw attention to this game by doing this. I'm going to have to look up some shading tutorials, though. I'm an okay spriter, but I'm a little rusty. Haven't sprited in a while. I decided to go for a Nature < Artrifice < Magic < Nature theme.

Nice Job Mugo.

Maybe I should give my update aswell.
Made some changes to the dialogue window.
Added an area to show the npc name, plus fixed the issue that caused input issues, making hard to
change dialogue or select another option.
update.png

Renamed several fields to give them unique names, so no need to say "x field 1, x field 2, x field 3..." when reffering to maps.

I were also working on battle system, but I'm having a bit of hard time on it because I'm still trying to figure out how I'll make
animations, skill stuffs and other things play during the combat.

Plus, I'm already making plans for how will be the introduction to the world, and how you will setup player name and other things, like starters, nickname and town.

There is also a question, should the maps also have flags saying from which nation it is from, and leave the flags just as
a complement, at least to tell from where the player and npc is from?
Or leave it as it is, where maps and their fields have nations representing them?

Well'p, I guess I will have to revamp this battle system...
Beside I have no idea of how I could make the interface.
battle_2.png

Ps:. The background will be changed on the future, it was just to give-me an idea of battle placement.

Magic_Opossum.png

I made the pallet on the left first, but Nakano didn't like it, so I'm asking for opinions on the one on the right.

Red and orange will look better on it. Otherwise, yellow and black/brown.

...Red and orange? Are you sure? Also, I kind of want to stray away from making these guys look too much like Pokemon, and red and orange will just make it look like a fire starter.

But it's nice to see someone else post besides me and Nakano. :)

Red and orange will look better on it. Otherwise, yellow and black/brown.
I dunno if I should take the commentary as an insult or not...
And no, the intention of this project is not rip off of other games, this is a very
different game project, I want to give players freedom aswell as things to
do in the game, alongside training and rising their monsters.

I dunno if I should take the commentary as an insult or not...
And no, the intention of this project is not rip off of other games, this is a very
different game project, I want to give players freedom aswell as things to
do in the game, alongside training and rising their monsters.

Not an insult, just thought that the color scheme would look better on it than those presented which look a bit discolored compared to it's "leafy cloth". Perhaps making the skin a bit less gray would make it more livable, especially considering the creature LOOKs like it would be very active. Colors are usually related to how some view the personality of creatures, you know?

I give that it's hard making creatures without them being compared in some way to the biggest franchise in the world that makes creatures alongside its digital counterpart... This is something that will be impossible to avoid until the game takes form, so sorry for accidentally making my comment seem as if I compared the two.

PS- should it be possible, how about allowance for customization? Such as having an NPC (stylist) allow changing the colors of creatures to the player's preference? While it would require the need to have the colored sprites for all colorable parts of monsters in each color, it would reduce the need to select a particular palette over another and would allow some diversification.

Not an insult, just thought that the color scheme would look better on it than those presented which look a bit discolored compared to it's "leafy cloth". Perhaps making the skin a bit less gray would make it more livable, especially considering the creature LOOKs like it would be very active. Colors are usually related to how some view the personality of creatures, you know?

I give that it's hard making creatures without them being compared in some way to the biggest franchise in the world that makes creatures alongside its digital counterpart... This is something that will be impossible to avoid until the game takes form, so sorry for accidentally making my comment seem as if I compared the two.

PS- should it be possible, how about allowance for customization? Such as having an NPC (stylist) allow changing the colors of creatures to the player's preference? While it would require the need to have the colored sprites for all colorable parts of monsters in each color, it would reduce the need to select a particular palette over another and would allow some diversification.
Sorry about the comment then, when I read both color suggestions, popped up 2 creatures from a game.

And, customize the player creatures color...?
That will be kinda possible to do, but I am really bad at rgb coding, the day and night system even sucks due to that.

Edit:. By the way, on a little update.
I am trying to implement a system which allows skills used in battle to have animations and effects, so the game is not as plain as a trunk in combat.

Aparently the timer is working correctly right now, but the mob positioning is not.

Mean_Wolf.png

Got another sprite. It's a gray and red wolf chewing on pants, which he will be wearing in evo forms. I wanted to avoid making him look like Zoura/Zourark, so I tried to lighten what was originally going to be black fur. ...i might need some shading tips, though.

Mean_Wolf.png

Got another sprite. It's a gray and red wolf chewing on pants, which he will be wearing in evo forms. I wanted to avoid making him look like Zoura/Zourark, so I tried to lighten what was originally going to be black fur. ...i might need some shading tips, though.
Nice job.

Also, I'm working on battle skill actions, aka what the monsters will do while in the combat.
battle_3.png

On the image bellow you see the testing of the Scratch skill in combat, currently it moves the monster to the position of the enemy monster, deal damage and then return to it's place.

Other skills are also implemented, like Maul, Punch, and Psychokinesis.

The bad is that while testing Psychokinesis skill, I noticed that skill monster positioning may fail, I will have to investigate the cause.

Edit:. Also, would the Psychokinesis skill be a skill for the Opossum? Or does not fit?

Edit2:. Discovered what was causing the bad positioning on monsters during combat animations...
Due to the script of positioning resetting on Draw method and mob skill positioning on Update method, the animation flickers between the new position and the default position.

Last edited:
I think Psychokinesis would work for the opossum. :)

Also, I got some feedback from Spriters Resource, so I'll be working on these sprites a bit more before moving onto the next one.

can you please make the battle system look simpler, cleaner (cleaner as in screen looks better. like fixing the text, adding in animations, and overall better), and better animations?

Back
Top Bottom