Tasks before Hardmode

Food - mentioning it since you say you didn't tried them before? - are quite powerful. Since 1.4, well fed has 3 levels. even lvl 1 food can raise your stats to a rather useful degree, but higher lvl foodstuff can give quite big boost. most lvl 3 food are rare, but seafood dinner is pretty easy to make, considering you spend time with fishing too. (though the duration of seafood dinner is short)

Also, yeah, those moons are very tough. Generally, at this point in the game, it's practically impossible to get to the latest waves - the point of trying is more in the hope that you get some powerful weapons or other loot (like wings), but with endgame gear, it's quite possible. though I couldn't really get to wave 20 of frost moon even with endgame gear, I think the farthest I got was wave 18. but pumpkin moon is easier.
In fact, if you clear all 15 waves of it, but you still have time until daybreak, you can just keep farming, and end up with a crazy amount of loot. though you don't need most of them, especially at late-game/end-game XD

You should wear Hallowed armour for now, until you beat Golem and craft Beetle armour.
Why is that? -15% damage from the Turtle set bonus is pretty big. Also, should I go for the full Beetle armour later? If I understood the Moon events guide correct, it suggested using helmet and greaves from Beetle armour, but Chest piece from the Turtle armour, presumably because the chest gave pretty big damage boosts. That would lose a set bonus, tho :-/
Food - mentioning it since you say you didn't tried them before? - are quite powerful. Since 1.4, well fed has 3 levels. even lvl 1 food can raise your stats to a rather useful degree, but higher lvl foodstuff can give quite big boost.
Yes, this was the first time I have used food. Have realised there are three levels to them, but the game doesn't say anything about what those are. But the main reason is an RPG curse of sorts. Pick up everything and save it for a rainy day that never comes 😊 And with limited inventory space and lots of loot while mining/exploring, I've preferred to have as much free space as feasible. It's only lately that I've used more of the space for items. Thank goodness the void bag is a thing! Wish we had more like that, because so far I've not adopted the added micromanagement of using a safe or piggy bank for temporary storage. The piggy bank is used for money, ores and bars, and sits on a shelf back at the base (without money trough usage).

About end-game gear, which you imply will make the Moon events easier, is there really all that much more great gear I can get from here on in? Better armour, perhaps, but the weapon already seems to be the "best in slot"? And these events are basically a DPS check, so I'm not sure how much more I can gain in that department. Well, I could spent even more platinum on getting a better modifier on the Terra Blade.

Edit: This is my current gear
Terraria gear.jpg
  • Full Turtle armour set (+65 defense)
  • Terra Blade sword
  • Amphibian Boots
  • Fire Gauntlet
  • Ankh Shield
  • Master Ninja Gear
  • Tattered Fairy Wings
  • Spooky Hook
Several of these are of the "Warding" type, and current defense score is 81. Actually forgot that I spent more money on redoing the Terra Blade yesterday, so now it has the "Legendary" modifier. Maybe it's not the ultimate best, but it certainly is pretty darn good. Have also put the Vampire Knives to use, which has the Demonic modifier now. It's useful for healing purposes when I'm on my last legs without the ability to use a potion.

Another edit. Tried the Pumpkin Moon event again.
Yay, got through it this time :)

Pumpkin Moon done.jpg

But unfortunately most of the town died. It's been a few days now, and the Princess hasn't returned yet :(
This happened because a Mourning Wood or two got down there. I tried to deal with it, but figured it was best to go back up so not more nasties spawned down there. Guess they did anyway.

Town died.jpg

Last edited:
Impressive work defeating the 15 waves of the pumpkin moon!
If you're interested in bestiary completion, you could spend the day after very carefully, looking for the halloween exclusive monsters. that can be tough though in hardmode actually, because normal skeletons are quire rare now.
You can also get goodie bags from monsters, and many NPCs sell their costume too, and there are some other unique stuff too.

By the way about power you can acquire in late game, yeah, there are still more powerful stuff you can get.
The next target is probably Golem, and you can get some powerful loot from him too.
Including the picksaw for example, which will technically allows you to mine every sort of block that is in the game - so, that is, the only thing you can't mine yet is lizhard brick, but the picksaw can mine that too. - though it's arguable if it would be the "best" pickaxe, if you ask me, I will often just stick with the pickaxe axe, or if want something very-very fast, and don't mind the shorter range, the shroomite digging claws are quite interesting too. these sort of pickaxes and the like can't mine technically everything, but really, the only difference is lizhard bricks, and, honestly, you don't need to mine that stuff very often in the game XD

On the side of weapons though, well... after golem, the next thing to look for is probably the martians. and they have several weapons they drop - particularly the martian saucers - that are very strong. Influx Weaver is often considered to be a stronger sword than the Terra Blade.
And that's "just" the martians.

In fact, once you're post-Golem, you'll see the cultists conducting their ritual at the dungeon's entrance. they won't mind you until you attack them, but once you attack them, they're pretty weak, and, once all 4 are killed, their leader will appear. The leader of the dungeon coven, the Lunatic Cultist is quite a tough boss too, but with such late-game gear, it's entirelly possible you could defeat him even if you would accidentally started the fight, if you fight well there. And the odd thing about late game is, that events are chained together. At this point, it might be not a very big spoiler, but, defeating the Lunatic Cultist starts the Lunar Apocalypse (AKA Lunar Events) and the various lunar fragments you can get there craft extremely powerful, practically endgame weapons, and this is what make Post-Golem such a tricky thing. Even if the final boss of the game might be still a bit far, it sounds quite tempting to try to tackle the Lunatic Cultist very soon after Golem, to get your hands on some of those late game weapons (there are armors too, and other weapons, but those are all after the final boss, so they're like "post-final-boss" stuff, so there's not much where you actually would need their power as much...

There are still some bosses like Empress of Light, and it certainly would be wise to fight the martians prior to the Lunatic cultist, but it's a good thing (IMO) you actually tried out the moons, and (tier 2) OOA and other stuff first, before going for Golem. I think, many players miss them on first playthrough, because Golem seems very obvious after Plantera, and he's really not all that tough, so you can very quickly find yourself post-golem after post-plantera, and then it's practically impossible to not notice the 4 suspicious figures doing some strange ritual at the dungeon's entrance...
So, post-plantera can easily turn into a boss-rush, and I feel very conflicted about that (even though I myself often fall into that trap as well to do a boss-rush at that point in the game) because this part of the game has so much more to offer than just several late-game bosses. So, I'm glad you tried the moons, OOA and other stuff too.

On the side of weapons though, well... after golem, the next thing to look for is probably the martians. and they have several weapons they drop - particularly the martian saucers - that are very strong. Influx Weaver is often considered to be a stronger sword than the Terra Blade.
And that's "just" the martians.
After the update that buffed the Terra Blade significantly, the Influx Waver is actually weaker than the Terra Blade. Also, its special gimmick (returning swords that deal extra damage to targets) doesn't really work on fast-moving bosses, such as Duke Fishron, Empress of Light and Moon Lord, which is a serious disadvantage compared to the Terra Blade.

@Pangaearocks should keep using the Terra Blade until he defeats the Solar Pillar, only then should he switch weapons. The Solar Pillar drops Solar Fragments, which are used to make the Daybreak and the Solar Eruption, which are both stronger than the Terra Blade.

yes, one way is to set up a mob farm (lava) platforms and have a good summon to help with damage. Also wiring up heart statues helps a ton.
AOE (area of effect) weapons help tons in the fight too. Just don't stand AFK or you'll die almost instantly.
Thanks, I got confused there and looked at the Legion stuff. With the right item, I tried it out. Very tough. Got to wave 13, maybe halfway through it. Used a bunch of potions, even food (first time for everything), and have an excellent weapon and armour, so don't think there is much more I can do. A different arena might help a little, as some enemies must have spawned down in the town and I saw messages about 3 NPCs dying.

Waded through the jungle and fought Plantera 4-5 times, and somehow ended up with 4 more Seedler swords. Also crafted and equipped the Turtle armour set.

Do people actually get to the end of wave 15 or 20 in the Pumpkin and Frost Moon events? How?

yes, one way is to set up a mob farm (lava) platforms and have a good summon to help with damage. Also wiring up heart statues helps a ton.
AOE (area of effect) weapons help tons in the fight too. Just don't stand AFK or you'll die almost instantly.
Many weapons are far more effective than lava at killing enemies.

Yeah, But I'm a Cheeser so I just do farming and it works every time. Oh and (I'm too lazy to read) but have you crafted imbuement flasks?
Yes, I'm using Ichor flasks pretty much as default now. Love that they last so long, and persist after death.
@Pangaearocks should keep using the Terra Blade until he defeats the Solar Pillar, only then should he switch weapons. The Solar Pillar drops Solar Fragments, which are used to make the Daybreak and the Solar Eruption, which are both stronger than the Terra Blade.
Sounds good, I'll keep using it then, and evaluate later :)
Impressive work defeating the 15 waves of the pumpkin moon!
If you're interested in bestiary completion, you could spend the day after very carefully, looking for the halloween exclusive monsters. that can be tough though in hardmode actually, because normal skeletons are quire rare now.
You can also get goodie bags from monsters, and many NPCs sell their costume too, and there are some other unique stuff too.
Thanks :) It was very hard and don't think I made the cut by much. There is so much happening with countless bosses on screen too, so I've no idea how many points were listed in the bottom right of the screen during wave 15. There was something like 5-6 Pumpkings virtually on top of each other, plus a bunch more bosses down on the asphalt. Not so easy!! :D

After that, I went around looking for enemies to see if something special popped up. There were some Jack O'Lanterns, but they (or something similar) have showed up in the Graveyard zone before. Possibly some funny-looking bunnies or slimes too. And I did end up with 3 Goodie Bags. All dropped vanity items, though, and I assume something more useful is possible from such bags. Currently the bestiary percentage is a little over 71%, so getting them all seems rather unlikely (and a bunch are only in corrupted worlds anyway, tho I don't know how many). The Slime count for example, has been at 21/24 for ages now, so I've probably found all that are possible in this crimson world. I know you said earlier to create a corruption area, but don't think I want to do that. I've given up trying to control the crimson at this point, and noticed a laaaarge area somewhere close to the Underworld in the bottom left-ish area. Must have been from an altar smash, as it otherwise couldn't have been that far from the rest. It's wreaking havoc through the snow biome too. Money isn't an object at this point (60+ platinum), but dealing with all that... yuck :(

Anywho... figured it was finally time to fight the Golem. Brought with me a key and a power cell, but on the way down there and maybe during the fight, enemies kept throwing more power cells at me. So I ended up fighting him 6-7 times and walked away with 44 beetle shells. Should be plenty to craft the armour I'd wager.

Btw, I suppose there isn't some kind of trick to finding more Wyverns?? I keep jumping up and down here and there, from the living trees for example, but it's difficult to find more of them. And once one of them do pop up, I tend to only get 5-ish Soulds of Flight. The Golem dropped something to make wings out of (I forget the name), and I've got two more mothron wing ingredients and another fairy dust thingy. I'm a bit bullheaded and would prefer to make wings out of it first, instead of selling the base ingredients. But most importantly is crafting the Golem wings, which I assume are better than the ones I currently use (Tattered Fairy Wings from the Pumpkin Moon event).

Btw, I suppose there isn't some kind of trick to finding more Wyverns?? I keep jumping up and down here and there, from the living trees for example, but it's difficult to find more of them. And once one of them do pop up, I tend to only get 5-ish Soulds of Flight. The Golem dropped something to make wings out of (I forget the name), and I've got two more mothron wing ingredients and another fairy dust thingy. I'm a bit bullheaded and would prefer to make wings out of it first, instead of selling the base ingredients. But most importantly is crafting the Golem wings, which I assume are better than the ones I currently use (Tattered Fairy Wings from the Pumpkin Moon event).
You should find a pretty high Floating Island, then set up a Water Candle and drink a Battle Potion to increase spawn rates. That should make Wyverns spawn more.

The Tattered Fairy Wings are a bit better than Beetle Wings (which I think is that pair of wings you're talking about), probably because Golem is easier than the Pumpkin Moon. Keep the wings you have now until you get Fishron Wings (from Duke Fishron) or Empress Wings (from the Empress of Light).

You should find a pretty high Floating Island, then set up a Water Candle and drink a Battle Potion to increase spawn rates. That should make Wyverns spawn more.

The Tattered Fairy Wings are a bit better than Beetle Wings (which I think is that pair of wings you're talking about), probably because Golem is easier than the Pumpkin Moon. Keep the wings you have now until you get Fishron Wings (from Duke Fishron) or Empress Wings (from the Empress of Light).
Wow! That was incredibly effective. Loads of harpies showed up, but also at least 10 wyverns on only one battle potion. Got 161 Souls of flight :D

While on the topic of accessories, I wonder what is the best use of some of these ingredients, and whether it will be better to swap out any of the ones I have (listed a little further up this page). From recent combat, at least some of them from the golem, I've acquired
  • Flesh Knuckles
  • Eye of the Golem
  • Sun Stone
  • Moon Stone
  • Paladin's Shield
Could I for example swap out the Ankh Shield or Master Ninja Gear for any of the items this can craft? Or will e.g. losing the debuff immunities from the Ankh Shield be a bad idea in all these invasion events and suchlike?

Edit: Nice! First time of asking :)
OOA tier3 done.jpg
A Martian Probe was suddenly just there during a Blood Moon at the ocean, which I killed during the fighting. Quite intrigued to see what the Martian invasion is about, so if I see another one, will try to hold fire.

For the time being at least, I've swapped out the Master Ninja Gear for Celestial Stone.

Last edited:
Indeed, pumpkin moon late waves are like that, there are a crazy amount of bosses XD
Impressive work on clearing it!

Also, good that you got enough wyverns. It's funny, because when you look for them, they just don't show up, but they just pop up at random at boss fights XD

I think your gear is pretty good, but you could try out some other combinations too. Yeah, the celestial stone is also a pretty popular late-game accessory.
I'm also wondering that Berserker's Glove, or something else with Flesh Knuckles might be interesting too, but I'm not sure if they're better than your current gear or not.

By the way, filling up the bestiary is difficult, there's probably no real need to worry about it. For the slimes though, I'm wondering what are the 3 missing ones might be... there's corrup slime, and slimer, which are both unique to the corruption (in hardmode), but there aren't more corrupt slime types, as far as I think. I'm wondering maybe the 3rd one missing is the rainbow slime? though you have your base at the edge of the hallow, so you might actually fought some of those too? They only show up in the surface hallow, when it's raining.

Also, water candles, potions and stuff like blood moon can rise the spawnrates very high, so that way, martian probes are more likely to appear too. Don't worry about that you killed that one, just try to look for another. One will eventually show up.

Also by the way, seeing those Betsy pieces (lol), that's quite the impressive thing. Tier 3 is quite tough too, and so is Betsy, so, quite impressive job defeating her.

Due to the hallow having overtaken the home base, rainbow slimes have spawned a fair bit when I'm out and about. I have several hundred rainbow bricks from them, so it can't be that one. Found the Slimes page on the wiki and looked for corrupt slimes. Looks like there are three: Corrupt Slime, Slimeling and Slimer. Won't help for full bestiary, but if I play a corruption world later, the achievement will presumably be ticked off when I come across those.

Earlier today I looked through a good bit of the bestiary, but using the filter per biome, and there are a lot missing. It's up to 78% now after the OOA tier three and Frost Moon events, but there are also a handful of empty slots ("?") for biomes where I thought everything had been discovered. Don't think I want to go looking for everything. If they show up, fine, and if not then I'll find them in a later save (even if I won't get 100% completion there either). Because the current gear is so overpowered against normal enemies, I'm more interested in progressing the game further, and seeing what more bosses and such can be fought. Maybe I stand more of a chance against Fishron and Empress of Light next time. Those worms are pretty hard to catch, altho Rod of Discord certainly helps. If I load up on potions and food, maybe I can take him.

Then there are these Lunar pillars I saw mentioned, which are probably really difficult. And which will probably slay a bunch of NPCs again.

Betsy was really hard, and I kept flying around, roughly in circles. The little platform above the asphalt layer helped a little too, as it blocked some of the fire spray that she had going on at times. Sometimes I went down to the ground to try to keep an eye on the crystal, and pick up any hearts if there were any. But mostly the summons had to try to deal with whatever enemies came out of the portals.

Also, I'm sure it helped a lot that I was able to buy two tier 3 summons right from the start. I bought the upgraded Ballista, plus the lightning sphere. Got a little confused when trying to place the latter, but soon it dawned on me that they couldn't overlap, and then it was possible to place a few next to each other. The Ballistas are pretty powerful, though, and can shoot into the air. They probably helped a little against Betsy tbh.

One thing I've started to wonder about: How much more difficult would it be to step up to Expert mode for the next game?

I did struggle a fair bit (here at Classic) at various points, especially early on in Hardmode, but maybe...?

Wow! That was incredibly effective. Loads of harpies showed up, but also at least 10 wyverns on only one battle potion. Got 161 Souls of flight :D

While on the topic of accessories, I wonder what is the best use of some of these ingredients, and whether it will be better to swap out any of the ones I have (listed a little further up this page). From recent combat, at least some of them from the golem, I've acquired
  • Flesh Knuckles
  • Eye of the Golem
  • Sun Stone
  • Moon Stone
  • Paladin's Shield
Could I for example swap out the Ankh Shield or Master Ninja Gear for any of the items this can craft? Or will e.g. losing the debuff immunities from the Ankh Shield be a bad idea in all these invasion events and suchlike?
If you want, you can combine the Paladin’s Shield with the Flesh Knuckles to make the Hero Shield, and replace the Ankh Shield with that. You’ll lose the debuff immunities, but you’ll rarely get any of the debuffs anyway, and the Hero Shield provides 10 defense, which is pretty significant in Classic Mode. Or you could farm for the Frozen Turtle Shell and make the Frozen Shield instead, which has 7 defense and 25% damage reduction when below 50% health, which combined with knockback immunity makes it the best shield in the game.

Also, I wouldn’t swap out the Master Ninja Gear for anything, at least during boss fights.
Edit: Nice! First time of asking :)
A Martian Probe was suddenly just there during a Blood Moon at the ocean, which I killed during the fighting. Quite intrigued to see what the Martian invasion is about, so if I see another one, will try to hold fire.
If you’re willing to, you can farm Betsy for Betsy’s Wrath, a magic weapon that inflicts a debuff that reduces enemy defense by 40. This debuff stacks with Ichor.

Also, the Martian weapons aren’t useful to you, but the Cosmic Car Key mount will really help against the Cultist and the Lunar Events.

Also, the Martian weapons aren’t useful to you, but the Cosmic Car Key mount will really help against the Cultist and the Lunar Events.
Hmmm, yeah, that might have been useful... :-/

They thoroughly kicked my arse. At least the Moon Lord did. Holy :red:stick! That guy is HARD!!

The Martian invasion was kinda fun, if chaotic. Got two of those car keys out of it, plus an UFO summon that has replaced the tiger. Managed to beat Fishron, but that was a very tough fight too. Was almost dead and flying away, when a stray projectile must have killed him offscreen.

Then I figured... why the heck not try out those cultists thingies. They look so peaceful.

The boss that spawned wasn't too bad. Teleporting all over the place, but eventually I grinded him down. Then the pillars spawned. Didn't see them at first on the minimap and I ran into a huge fire wyvern or something, which insta-gibbed me, more or less. Went somewhere else, and that went better. Died 3-4 more times to those darn wyverns that kept homing in on me. Was very difficult to escape them.

Just when I'm back down on the ground and trying to get my bearings, Moon Lord pops up and practically fills the whole darn screen. No idea what was going on in that fight, but it seems like my sword stopped working/firing projectiles, and he had me hooked on a leash or something like that. At best I took away 25% of his health, but he must have a million or something 😨😲

How on Earth am I supposed to deal with that bugger, and how can I get Luminate bars? I ran the various fragments by the Guide, and most of the items on show required Luminate bars.

Any gear recommendations for this boss and pillars?

One thing's for sure, I'm going to need a lot more potions... and probably need to place out heart lanterns all over the place so I can have some better healing, wherever those pillars show up next. Sadly it looks like I need to go through the whole ordeal again to face the Moon Lord a second time, because the cultists were back at the Dungeon entrance.

I didn't use the Ninja Gear for this btw, as I had the Celestial Stone on instead from before. Is it the dash ability that is so important?
Cultist boss down.jpg

Quickly slayed by homing wyvern beasty.jpg

All pillars down.jpg

Moon Lord wastes me.jpg

Then I figured... why the heck not try out those cultists thingies. They look so peaceful.

The boss that spawned wasn't too bad. Teleporting all over the place, but eventually I grinded him down. Then the pillars spawned. Didn't see them at first on the minimap and I ran into a huge fire wyvern or something, which insta-gibbed me, more or less. Went somewhere else, and that went better. Died 3-4 more times to those darn wyverns that kept homing in on me. Was very difficult to escape them.

Just when I'm back down on the ground and trying to get my bearings, Moon Lord pops up and practically fills the whole darn screen. No idea what was going on in that fight, but it seems like my sword stopped working/firing projectiles, and he had me hooked on a leash or something like that. At best I took away 25% of his health, but he must have a million or something 😨😲

How on Earth am I supposed to deal with that bugger, and how can I get Luminate bars? I ran the various fragments by the Guide, and most of the items on show required Luminate bars.
Those "huge fire wyverns" are called Crawltipedes, and they only attack you when you're in the air. That forces you to stay on the ground, and most of the Solar Pillar enemies are grounded ones that can attack you pretty easily when you're landlocked.

Moon Lord is a pretty tough fight. He's got 3 eyes, two of which on his hands and one on his head. Those are your targets. The hand eyes alternate between 3 different attacks, and the head eye periodically opens up, fires some Phantasmal Bolts, fires a Phantasmal Deathray that will deal quite a lot of damage, and fire some more Phantasmal Bolts before closing again. Look out for those first Phantasmal Bolts from the head eye, then circle up over the Moon Lord to avoid his Deathray. Once all eyes are killed, his core will open up. When an eye is killed, it releases a True Eye of Cthulhu that will make short work of you. So once all the eyes are killed, move horizontally in one direction only and firing behind you at the Moon Lord's Core.

Your sword didn't stop firing projectiles, it's just an effect of the Moon Lord fight that makes it hard to see many projectiles.

Luminite Bars are crafted from Luminite, which drops from the Moon Lord. They are used to make endgame armour and tools. Use the Solar Fragments you got to make the Daybreak, which is good for Moon Lord, and the Solar Eruption, which is good for re-fighting the Pillars.

Luminite Bars are crafted from Luminite, which drops from the Moon Lord. They are used to make endgame armour and tools. Use the Solar Fragments you got to make the Daybreak, which is good for Moon Lord, and the Solar Eruption, which is good for re-fighting the Pillars.
Also use the stardust fragments to make one of the summoner weapons, I would recommend one of the two but I don’t know about the pros and cons of them yet.

Those "huge fire wyverns" are called Crawltipedes, and they only attack you when you're in the air. That forces you to stay on the ground, and most of the Solar Pillar enemies are grounded ones that can attack you pretty easily when you're landlocked.
Cheers, I had no idea about this. No wonder they were spamming hard then, and killing me several times. They were utterly horrible to deal with. Next time I need to try to stay on the ground instead. It has become a habit to be mostly airbourne, and go this way and that to dodge attacks.

Tried to find more info about summons, but there isn't clear advice on which is better. Some say the UFO, some say the dragon and some say the cells creature. What would you guys recommend? The UFO has been pretty good so far, and can teleport around the place (or travel extremely quickly).

Shame about the Luminite bars though. I need them to make gear for the fight against Moon Lord, but need to kill the Moon Lord to get them. GAH! :D

About the cosmic car key mount: is it fast enough to use in combat? It felt kinda slow when I tried it out, although it's certainly nice that it can travel anywhere, and lasted forever (unlike the bee mount for example).

About the cosmic car key mount: is it fast enough to use in combat? It felt kinda slow when I tried it out, although it's certainly nice that it can travel anywhere, and lasted forever (unlike the bee mount for example).
A little bit of information that you should know about the UFO is that it moves its fastest while moving diagonally, and its slowest vertically.
Me? I just fight the Moon Lord bare and just rely on my wings, but the UFO mount is good as well.

Tried to find more info about summons, but there isn't clear advice on which is better. Some say the UFO, some say the dragon and some say the cells creature. What would you guys recommend? The UFO has been pretty good so far, and can teleport around the place (or travel extremely quickly).
Like I said, I’m not entirely sure what is best, however, since you arent playing as a summoner the only things you will make from stardust fragments is those two weapons and more moon lord summons. If you dont mind fighting the pillars you could likely make both stardust weapons and seeing which of the three feels best to you.

Back
Top Bottom