Tasks before Hardmode

Only got 18 hallowed bars, but it was enough to make a Pickaxe Axe. Reckon that can mine chlorophyte ore. Suppose this is the best melee weapon I can have at the moment, and it's not worth it to upgrade Night's Edge or make an Excalibur?
I think that the True Night's Edge is better, it has more DPS and the projectile it fires spins, making it easier to hit smaller enemies with it.

If you're just looking for a better weapon in general, the Drippler Crippler is a great flail. It is stronger than the Dao of Pow (which seems to be serving you really well) and fires a bouncing projectiles that allows you to deal at least some damage when you're farther away. It drops from Blood Eels, which you must've encountered if you've killed my brethren a few times.

Reacting to the earlier post with the demise of large parts of the jungle first, background walls don't spread spreading biomes per se. Infected background walls can't infect solid blocks at all, and while the infection seems to spread on the wall, this actually stops when at a certain distance (4-5 blocks distance or so) from the infected solid blocks. So, no need to destroy those background walls.

Good work defeating the Twins!
What you mean by Pickaxe axe being the best weapon right now? It's a tool, and as such, aren't very good for fighting (but I'm sure you know about that by now - though they certainly can be good for self-defense too, if a bat or something appears while you're busy mining.)
Excalibur is pretty good, but yeah, True Night's edge is stronger, though, The true Excalibur might be quite good too.
Plus, try to mine some clorophyte ore (at areas where there's no crimson nearby XD) and look at what sort of stuff you can craft from it.

Actually... clorophyte armor is an odd thing though. There's probably no real point crafting that. But there might be some other stuff, or other armors you find interesting there.

Also, that desert shack looks pretty fine too.
And it probably will be helpful too, as a fast-travel achor.

Also looks like someone maxed out their HP too? XD Congrats on that too!

As for Plantera, summoning her can be quite the pain, but hopefully you find some bulbs.
Note, that when outside of the underground jungle she enrages, and you really don't wanna fight her that way, so, make sure you don't come on the surface, or wander off to the infected parts of the jungle mid-battle.
She has 2 stages too, and at first she looks relatively easy and slow, but her 2nd stage can catch you quite off guard.
Might needs an arena, or at least some area where you can fly around and maneuver well enough to dodge.

Speaking of dodging stuff... It's not as useful now as it would been late-pre-hardmode, but did you tried to face the torch god? Earning his(?) favor can be useful too.
(If you put 100 (or more) torches in a small area underground, you can get him to enrage and attack you (due to the irresponsible and wasteful way of torch-placing), but if you can dodge all the torches, you can earn his favor, and if you consume that item, you will be able to place biome torches by simply placing regular torches in other biomes. e.g. you hold a normal torch in the snow biome, it will turn into an ice torch. (it can be toggled on and off too, once you gained that ability)

I think that the True Night's Edge is better, it has more DPS and the projectile it fires spins, making it easier to hit smaller enemies with it.

If you're just looking for a better weapon in general, the Drippler Crippler is a great flail. It is stronger than the Dao of Pow (which seems to be serving you really well) and fires a bouncing projectiles that allows you to deal at least some damage when you're farther away. It drops from Blood Eels, which you must've encountered if you've killed my brethren a few times.
Cheers. Would you say True Night's Edge is better than the Drippler Crippler? There was another Blood Moon that I spent fishing, and the Drippler finally dropped.

I've ended up using the True Night's Edge for now. Not as good when penetrating loads of foes, but the ranged attack is quite nice.
As for Plantera, summoning her can be quite the pain, but hopefully you find some bulbs.
Note, that when outside of the underground jungle she enrages, and you really don't wanna fight her that way, so, make sure you don't come on the surface, or wander off to the infected parts of the jungle mid-battle.
Thanks, this was good to know. Once again I noticed crimson going through the jungle like flames through dry underbrush, so I had to attempt to solve it. I was almost done and came down into a big open cave, then I spot something in the edge of the screen.
Plantera's bulb.jpg
Thousand bees there, but I made a small arena and popped the thing. Have started using ichor flasks lately, at least when doing tough stuff like the jungle. Don't know if she's immune or not, tho.
No idea what dropped because I was too busy celebrating and had a full bag :D Woot! Looks like it's the Dungeon next then, at least going by that status message.

Not too bad a fight, but she was much more aggressive in phase two. Come to think of it, I forgot to set up the Spider Staff summon, but it wouldn't have done much against such high HP anyway.

Plantera down.jpg
Have made around 12 chlorophyte bars, but don't think I'll go for the armor. Maybe just some weapons with Material tag then? The Turtle armor, however, looks pretty solid, so I may go for that instead. Gives 65 defense. Shame to lose the invulnerability, tho it's kinda hard to know how much it really helps me out.

Good info about the walls, then I can be less worried about that. Thought the jungle area I had locked off before was safe, but it somehow got around anyway, possibly via vines from the roof above a minecart track. Was it after Plentera that the evil spread-speed decreased?

Haven't fought the Torch God, didn't know that was a thing. Did people figure out these things by sheer luck, or by code diving? I would never have thought about randomly placing 100 torches next to each other :D

With the weapon question, I meant compared with the Dao of Pow, which I was using at the time. Should have used the Enter key ;) It looked a bit confusing when re-reading it later.

Btw, on the topic of chlorophyte: is it okay to remove all tiles in a vein, or should I leave 1 or 2 behind? Will it still spread normally if I remove all in a given vein? So far I removed all, but nothing when close to the crimson. Haven't really gone after them so far, mind you, as I got busy trying to build another protective layer with gray bricks.

No idea what dropped because I was too busy celebrating and had a full bag :D Woot! Looks like it's the Dungeon next then, at least going by that status message.

Not too bad a fight, but she was much more aggressive in phase two. Come to think of it, I forgot to set up the Spider Staff summon, but it wouldn't have done much against such high HP anyway.

View attachment 318937[/SPOILER]
I can't really tell what weapon Plantera dropped, however I think that it's either the Grenade Launcher or the Leaf Blower. Neither of them are melee weapons though.

Plantera also drops a Temple Key, which is used to unlock the Jungle Temple. The temple is kinda like the Dungeon, however non of the chests are locked. Each chest in the Temple has a Lihzahrd Power Cell inside it, which is used to summon a boss in the final chamber. That boss is pretty easy, but it unlocks even more new stuff, such as Martian Madness (a pretty hard event with a flying saucer boss) and the Lunar Events (something you should ignore for the time being).

First however, you should go to the Dungeon. New enemies spawn there now that Plantera is defeated. Weapons that I'd go for now are the Kraken (a yoyo dropped by any enemy in the Hardmode Dungeon) and the Paladin's Hammer (a boomerang that drops from Paladins, which are pretty tough enemies). Also, any enemy in the Dungeon now has a chance to spawn a Dungeon Spirit when killed, which drop Ectoplasm, a material that makes a set of magic armour and two summon items for new night-long wave events (think OOA except you're the target instead of the crystal).

That's very impressive, if you defeated Plantera on first try. I know I truggled a lot with her on first playthrough, and tend to, in later ones too.

By the way, turtle armor is quite good too - and it can be upgraded to beetle armor post-golem. they lack Hallowed armor's Holy Protection, but they have their own interesting set bonuses too. It's up to you which you find more useful, give a try to them, and choose whichever you like better.

I think, on normal mode, first time you defeat her, you always get the granade launcher? I dunno if you get other weapons too? Plus the temple key, of course. By the way, the Cyborg should move in now, and with that, I think you will have all NPCs which fulfills the condition for the Princess to move in too.

As for the temple key, now you can open the locked door of the jungle temple, and loot that place too. Don't fight Golem just yet though, IMO. He's a joke (but don't underestimate him, because that can end bad), but after you defeat him, several things will happen, so, maybe better try out some other stuff first.

As for one, the dungeon entered to its true hardmode state, that is, post-plantera dungeon, which is full with some of the toughest enemies. And many of them drops awesome loot.
With some of the loot you can get there (ectoplasm, that is) you can craft the items to summon the pumpkin moon and the frost moon events.
These moons are wave based and you have to kill a certain amount of enemies to progress the waves. the later waves have stronger monsters, and higher chance of awesome loot as well. the events end at daybreak, so, at 4:30 a.m. it's best to start them like at 7:30 p.m, so you have the max time for the events.
If you manage to reach past wave 15 (pumpkin moon is 15 waves, frost moon is 20 waves, but you only need to do 15 waves to) the spirit of halloween / spirit of christmas will arrive to your world for one in-game day. so, you can see halloween/christmas monsters (for bestiary completion) and find some items that are unique to these seasonal events.

There's also OOA tier 2, you can try now, as it won't change to tier 3, before you defeat Golem.

and, this time is also good to finish up some surface builds you wanna build, unhindered by a possible surprise from a martian probe. Post golem, they may spawn, and if they notice you, and then manage to get away, that starts the martian invasion. You probably wanna do that too, but they're quite tough (especially when you're not prepared) so gearing up before can be important.
Martian probes are such a pain... they barely ever spawn when you want them, but when you're building... I know I was building something big in the jungle, and a probe spawned and got away before I even could react, and I just had to deal with them first (took like an hour XD) before could continue building. XD

Also, the cultists appear post-golem, so for now, they're not at the dungeon's entrance yet, so you don't have to worry about accidentally attacking them. Though they won't attack normally either, until attacked, but summons and the like might attack them accidentally, and since you probably want to look around the hardmode dungeon now, so probably will be a frequent visitor at the entrance, so it's easier if they're not in the way. You don't wanna meet their leader yet...
Ah, also... Plantera's curse should went away from the biome keys, so...

Also, yeah, the spreading biomes spread, I think, 1/3 of the speed now, than they did before, in early hardmode. they won't stop spreading though.

I think you really most likely learn about the torch god via the wiki or such. most players don't place that many torches in a single place. and those who do, often have no idea what's happening, there were several bug reports and the like at first, from confused player who had no idea why their own torches attacked them. XD

As for clorophyte by the way, it's practical to leave 1 ore intact when you mine a vein, and it will keep growing. (that is, it turns the mud around it into clorophyte ore)
you can also set up clorophyte farms, by placing clorophyte ore in mud. note that clorophyte's spreading speed is related to how much clorophyte is in its viccinity (in a very large viccinity) so, if you set it up in the jungle, it will grow slow. If you set it up somewhere elsewhere, it might grows much faster. Like near cavern town (if you build one) - also, it only grows like in cavern layer. somewhat below zero depth. it won't grow around zero depth either, nor the surface.

The deco around doesn't affects the farm's production. I just like to try building fancier stuff XD
Also note, that it's near the caven town there, so it's easy to go there via the pylon.
46c.png

Edit: I forgot to mention in the previous post, but I think we all forgotten about queen slime? XD lol

Also, now you can try fighting the Empress of Light too (though she might be too tough at this point) and Duke Fishron as well (he's also very tough though)
None of these bosses are mandatory for progression, but they're quite interesting, and you can get some cool loot from them too.

Been playing, and came back to see your posts -- great stuff :) Went to the Dungeon as that seemed like the place to be, and it's much tougher allright! Especially those paladins were really hard. Don't recall if I got a hammer, but did get a shield. Plus a host of other things, like broken hero swords (x3). I'm now sporting a Terra Blade :cool: It looked pretty darn insane, so I had another go at the Old Ones' Army. Got to the last wave, but got completely overwhelmed again. Tried another time, and this time we made it to the end -- by a hair, but that is enough. They were closing in from both sides. The Terra Blade, though... holy crap. That thing is nuts! :lol:
OOA tier2.jpg
Got 10 defender medals for the first attempt, and then 25 when we got through it. Before buying anything more, I'd love to hear from you people again. Is it the Ballista that is most helpful? I bought the Flamestrike from tier 1, which apparently was the worst one. Don't want to do that again, haha. Is it needed to buy some of the armour pieces as well?

Oh yeah, another thing I got from the Dungeon (or maybe it was the Solar event, which spawned twice in quick succession), is a drone that swirls around me and helps to kill enemies. Really useful in this OOA event, and it was also possible to use the spider staff. The latter doesn't do much, but it helps a little.

Have looked over the armours again, but not sure whether to craft them or not. The Turtle armour does have more defense, but less +damage/crits. Got quite a bit of Ectoplasma from the Dungeon too. Speaking of the Dungeon, I couldn't find a Crimson chest. Have two keys like that :-/ A desert key dropped a while ago as well, and thankfully I found that chest. I see a snow and hallow one too, but don't have the keys for those. Have barely been to the snow biome, because it was kinda boring there. Just ice and water. It's also squeezed between two expanding parts of the Crimson. The world currently has 10% hallow and 20% crimson, which is kinda bad. 30%

Anyway, since I've been to the Dungeon already, think I'll head to the Temple, finally unlock it, and see what's inside. But will avoid taking on the boss for now. If we need to summon him ourselves, it should not be possible to accidentally fight him. Already have a power cell actually. Maybe it dropped from snakes? Some spawned outside the temple when I was there way back.

(That farm above looks very nice. Wish I was able to build nice stuff too, haha)

Awesome game btw. It has to be said.

Good job defeating the tier 2 OOA. Also, yeah, Terra Blade is quite strong! XD
For OOA sentries, I would say exploding trap and ballista are both pretty strong.
You can buy the armor too, but you can get stronger armor too. By the way, the tavernkeep's shop will expand again, when tier 3 starts (post-golem) with tier 3 weapons (100 medals each) and tier 3 armors (3 x 75 medal). you might try to save up for the sentry. You can save up for the armor too, but that's too much grinding. You can easily get around 40 medals in tier 3, if you reach to the last wave, but can't do the last wave. (the last wave, Betsy appears, and she's very tough. if you can defeat her though, tier 3 gives 100 medals in total at the end)

By the way, if you found a magnet sphere tome in the dungeon, I would recommend that too, it can be a big help with OOA. It's a very interesting weapon. it's almost useless as a main weapon, but it can be an awesome side-weapon. you just summon the magnet sphere and it will just go forward on its own for a while. it disappears after a bit, but it can zap tons of enemies in its way, which is just what you need against OOA. You need to summon new magnet spheres once in a while though. Also, if you get the hallow key, the Rainbow gun is also very helpful against OOA.

Deadly spheres by the way (the summons you got) are... well, they look very cool, but... there are plenty of much stronger, and much more intelligent summons to use.

There do should be a crimson chest though as well in the dungeon. Are you sure you looked through the whole? Maybe there's a part behind cracked bricks, you missed before? I don't think there would be, but, still. There should be a crimson chest there somewhere.

Turtle armor is quite interesting. its set bonus is similar to thorns potion, attackers take some dmg when touching you.
Upgrading it to beetle armor though, it has two variants, the shell variant is more defense focused - it gives you high percent of dmg. reduction, and, the scalemail variant is attack focused, it boost your attacks.
the bugs are a bit annoying though, IMO lol XD

Also, yeah, it's a good idea to look around in the temple, and loot it. Just don't fight Golem yet. He's summoned by you, when you place a power cell in the altar, so, he won't spawn on his own or anything.
It also could be a good idea to get a wire cutter/multicolor wrench/the grand design, before entering the temple...

Also, thank you XD
Don't worry, if you practice building a bit, you will build really awesome stuff too. The castle at your base looks pretty good too.

Also, I I think we all forgotten about queen slime? XD lol
And now you can try fighting the Empress of Light too (though she might be too tough at this point) and Duke Fishron as well (he's also very tough though)
None of these bosses are mandatory for progression, but they're quite interesting, and you can get some cool loot from them too.

Also, yes, agree, Terraria is an awesome game!

Why does crimson always spawn near jungle at world gen for me? Is it just me or am I just unlucky

Got 10 defender medals for the first attempt, and then 25 when we got through it. Before buying anything more, I'd love to hear from you people again. Is it the Ballista that is most helpful? I bought the Flamestrike from tier 1, which apparently was the worst one. Don't want to do that again, haha. Is it needed to buy some of the armour pieces as well?
In order to make tier 3 easier, you should get both a ranged sentry (the Ballista is best) and a melee sentry. The Explosive Trap deals the most overall damage per second and is the best of the sentries outside of the OOA, but the Lightning Aura might do a bit better in the OOA because it damages more enemies at a time.
Have looked over the armours again, but not sure whether to craft them or not. The Turtle armour does have more defense, but less +damage/crits. Got quite a bit of Ectoplasma from the Dungeon too. Speaking of the Dungeon, I couldn't find a Crimson chest. Have two keys like that :-/ A desert key dropped a while ago as well, and thankfully I found that chest. I see a snow and hallow one too, but don't have the keys for those. Have barely been to the snow biome, because it was kinda boring there. Just ice and water. It's also squeezed between two expanding parts of the Crimson. The world currently has 10% hallow and 20% crimson, which is kinda bad. 30%
Hallowed is much better than Turtle because of higher stats and much better set bonus. Turtle armour’s set bonus realistically doesn’t contribute much damage compared to how much damage your weapons do.

Look out for Cracked Dungeon Brick. Some passageways in the Dungeon are filled up with it, which might lead to the Crimson Chest, which by the way has an amazing weapon in it.

The Desert Chest has a minion summon weapon in it, which summons a tiger that fights for you like the drone you found, however it has better AI. And the Ice Chest doesn’t really have anything useful, so you don’t need to worry about that. The Hallow Chest has a useful support weapon with great crowd control, it might come in handy during OOA tier 3.
Anyway, since I've been to the Dungeon already, think I'll head to the Temple, finally unlock it, and see what's inside. But will avoid taking on the boss for now. If we need to summon him ourselves, it should not be possible to accidentally fight him. Already have a power cell actually. Maybe it dropped from snakes? Some spawned outside the temple when I was there way back.
There isn’t much in there apart from the Power Cells to spawn Golem (the boss) and Solar Tablet Fragments, which make Solar Tablets, which summon Solar Eclipses, but I don’t think you need anything else from the Solar Eclipse.

Thanks for the info. Tried out the Tiger from the desert chest, and yeah, it's 10 times better than the death sphere. Went back to the Dungeon to look for more cracked bricks. Used a dangersense potion because then they got highlighted (thanks wiki). Found quite a lot, but only in halls I had already been in. Tried out spelunker potions too. Went all over the place, several times, but could not find the darn chest. Well, in the end I did. It was... well hidden.
D'OH!! 😊

Crimson chest located lol.jpg
Having the Terra Blade now, it almost feels like cheating. Everything dies fairly effortless in there, and the tiger helps too. Picked up a lot more stuff in there while looking for the chest hidden in plain sight, haha. More keybrands, inferno forks, morning stars, a wheelbarrow of krakens -- and the paladin's hammer (and another grave marker, but let's not talk about that). It looks pretty sweet, but I'll stick with the Terra Blade. Kinda strange with a ranged sword, but as somebody stated early on, it's needed in the game, at least now in mid (?) hardmode. And if somebody gets in close, you can stick them with the pointy end ;)

With two people saying Ballista, I'll go with them. Then perhaps try a little more so I can buy a better 'second' tower than the fireburst one (I'm probably butchering many names, sorry about that).

Have the magnet sphere btw, but it doesn't look that good? Disappears after a few seconds, and moved very slow, so they need to be close for it to hit enemies.

Oh yeah, Queen Slime... totally forgot about her. Better summon her and see what she's about.

Wire cutter, huh? Haven't dabbled in that stuff at all. Suppose I would have to hook up the heart statues in some fashion for them to do anything? Because they sure don't drop any hearts right now.

Oh, and to @Lolo08, you can try out this seed if you want. Has a big dungeon (I assume, naturally this is my only game so far, besides a small world that was quickly abandoned), fairly flat starting area for building a town, and the jungle was on the 'other' side of the crimson. If the "V" is set in stone based on the seed, however (and not random), the crimson will spawn on the jungle-side, which caused many issues for me. But it may be worth a shot. At least the crimson isn't IN the jungle to begin with.

The seed is:
Cracked sphere of life seed.png

Ahaha, yeah, sometimes the things that are the most difficult to notice are right in the front of our eyes XD lol

The desert tiger is among the most intelligent minions - not the strongest, but quite strong too. A pretty good minion.

By the way, do give a try to magnet sphere. It isn't really useful as a main weapons, but if you release a sphere a direction once or twice every OOA wave, it can do considerable dmg. to the monsters.

Mechanisms are a bit complex, but aren't all that complex, as long as we're talking about the simple ones. I have no idea how logic gates and the like work, but simple wiring is not very difficult to do.
You can buy the wrenches and the wire cutter from the mechanic, and tinker them into the multicolor wrench, which can be further upgraded into the drand design.
If shows wires are stuff (can be toggled on and off) and you can place, and cut wires, and other stuff, like actuators (with grand design)

Might be unnecessary to explain things about them super detailed, but basically, take a mechanism, like, if you say you have heart statue, they're rare and very-very valuable! so, place that, and place some wire, connecting it to a switch, lever, pressure plate, pressure pad or such. let's say, a switch. then, now if you turn on the switch, the statue will drop a single heart. this is useful, but not very efficient. however, if you wire it to a timer, then, when you switch on this simple mechanism, it will keep dispensing hearts, as long as it's turned on. Though it can't actually dispense them very fast, and usually there's a cap, how many hearts can be near a heart statue. If it reached the cap, it will stop dispensing them, until those are picked up. - It appears though that these mechanisms "break" at blood moons and solar eclipses and have no cap at those times, meaning they can dispense a crazy amount of hearts over time (although slowly). This actually could be kept for later too, if you don't pick those up.

Oh yeah, Queen Slime... totally forgot about her. Better summon her and see what she's about.
She doesn’t really drop anything useful at this point in the game.

The armour set she drops isn’t as good as Hallowed, but I guess it is tiered a bit before it. The Blade Staff (another minion staff that she drops) is insanely powerful with summoner gear and a whip or two, but as a support weapon it is pretty bad, and overall it’s outclassed by the Desert Tiger. The mount she drops isn’t as useful anymore, its flight time starts to be rather lacklustre compared to wings available after Plantera.

However the hook that she drops is one of the best in the game, it teleports you to the hook instead of drawing you in, and you take no damage on the way.

On an unrelated note, Bone Lees in the post-Plantera Dungeon drop the Black Belt and Tabi, which are used to craft the Master Ninja Gear. The Master Ninja Gear is both a mobility accessory and a defensive accessory, it allows you to dash which by itself is great and it also provides a 10% chance to dodge attacks which can save you in some situations but isn’t as reliable as Hallowed armour.

Back
Top Bottom