Tasks before Hardmode

For a magic weapon, as risky as it is, try getting the crimson rod by smashing the crimson hearts. This will also let a meteor fall for good magic sets. For bombs, just get the demolitionist.
Crimson rod yes, but no meteor on PC since 1.4, until BoC (or EoW) is down.
But the crimson rod is also not that useful. It's fine for additional dmg, but it's almost useless as a main weapon. (IMO)

I've taken a pause from dying, or escaping back to base if I can quickly enough, by spending a lot of time fishing. And unlike the serial dying, I got something out of it. Loads of tools made of fish. So except the enchanted boomerang, the 'sword', axe and pickaxe are now made of fish. Monty Python would be proud.

Did finally manage to whack through the very wide crimson area, and located the jungle right next to it. Looked like the crimson had eaten a good part into it already, so I laid down some wooden blocks to stop it going further (for now). Same on the desert side. Won't be pretty if I make it to hardmode, but for now it shall have to do. Think there are usually 2-3 crimson/evil sections on a medium map, so I suppose they all ended up next to or on top of each other.

I didn't expect things to become so much more difficult. Yeah, maybe I should have abused bombs and grenades more, and grinded myself through the underground desert or jungle somehow. Based on what Sora wrote earlier, it might be possible to get some decent mage weapons that way. It wasn't that much fun to keep dying and dying, however, so I stepped away from the desert and all its dangers. And the jungle is arguably even worse, with all those bees and spiky slimes.

Not all bad, though. Have got accessories for double-jump (very recent) and extra jump height, plus a claw, so movement is a bit easier now. Would like some boots, but no luck with that yet. Still at only 180 HP, because I haven't dared to risk a boss spawn. Maybe that has been silly, but I'm fairly certain Eye of Cthulhu would roflstomp me anyway.

The only mage weapon I've found so far is Wand of Sparkling with -19% speed, so I've never really used it. I do have 11 amethysts, but at this rate, think I'd prefer to make a hook before an apparently inferior staff. Not easy to find any of these gems in decent quantities though.

Wow. Took a mighty long time, but have finally been able to craft a gem staff out of amber (put hundreds of silt + fossils through an extractinator), and it makes a gigantic difference to survivability! The fire-mace or boomerang simply didn't work very well. King Slime went down without too much trouble this time (he has wiped me out twice or thrice), and also defeated a goblin army. Popped down the 8 hearts that were collected, and instantly the goblins paid a visit.

Pleasant surprise so far :) However, what has surprised is that mana stars are dropping like confetti. At least they did from the slimes and goblins. Do hearts not drop any more? And will regular enemies suddenly spit out mana stars frequently now? That will make mana management less of an issue than I thought.

The Mystic Robe is quite nice, but the Diamond Robe looks to be an upgrade, so I'll look towards that if I can get enough diamonds. Or is the Jungle armour actually better than the diamond robe? Going into the jungle is risky as hell, but maybe it's possible? Feeling more confident after King Slime and goblins. Can actually take on Skeletrons as the first 'real' boss, which would be pretty weird, hah.

Anyway, I hope proper progress will be easier now, as it's been very slow going so far, with deaths around every corner.

I've been faffing around a lot, not knowing what to do in the game. Recently crafted a bunch of Brain of Cthulhu summoning items -- think it was 18. That netted a good bit of money and resources. Over 3200 crimson ore, 800 tissue samples and 1 platinum. Not sure what to do with it though, because it doesn't seem like crafting and then selling is worth it in this game :(

Don't know if this is lucky, but I have crafted the Cellphone, and some other items. Did set up a town for the Jungle NPCs, but sadly it wasn't enough to buy a pylon. Thought it would be. Have upgraded armour to molten, and crafted the Night's Edge. Probably very lucky on the latter, because it popped out as Godly :D

I have read a bit about Hardmode, so know the world will go nuts with crimson spreading like wildfire. However, is it really necessary to build several hellevators to separate areas, maybe even horizontally? Will the whole world turn evil if I don't?

Anything important I've missed, apart from the possibly huge mining jobs?
The whole world can go evil if you dont build hellevators because when you enter hard mode the two biomes "Crimson And Hallow" will spread rapidly until you defeat a certain boss called Plantera

Mystic robe is good too, if you have that, there might be no real need of a gem robe - but you can make one if you can, and try which one is better. Also, gem robes increase the chance of Tim appearing significantly.

Mana stars drop very often from killed enemies, if you're using magic weapons and your mana isn't full, but it's not a reliable way to recover mana in all cases, like, if you can't actually kill enemies (like tough enemies), or when there aren't many enemies, such as boss fights. Some bosses, like king slime spawn enemies, which likewise has high chance to drop stars, but other enemies, like EoC in phase 2, or Skeletron aren't like that.

Also, you meant, fighting Skeletron? That would be likely way too tough at the moment. EoC is quite possible though, I think.

Thanks, sounds good. For some reason there is no entry to the underground jungle on this map, so I have to dig down somewhere myself, which hasn't led to much so far (and I had to run away to not get killed). EoC spawned naturally and I took it on. Went fine for the most part, but mana became an issue there due to no/few enemies dropping stars. It looked fine for most of the fight, but holy mother was it aggressive towards the end. Almost impossible to hit, and certainly to dodge, so it became a close thing towards the end, despite having taken next to no damage until the darn thing was at 5% health or something. Was a relief to get it over the edge. Suppose the other bosses will be much more aggressive on Expert compared with Classic mode too?

Hope I can get enough diamonds to make a diamond robe. It looked pretty solid from stats (wish this was available in-game... a mod with such QoL improvements would be awesome!!). But if I can't get that, the jungle armour looks good too, just much harder to get those ingredients given how difficult jungle enemies are at this stage (and in this save, how hard it is to actually get to a good underground jungle area -- have only found tiny pockets so far).

Good job defeating EoC. And now you probably see too, why mana recovery stuff are so important. So, try to get some.
Bosses are tougher, but not all are that bad. BoC is not that bad either. Certainly has some new stuff to it, but it's still not as bad. Skeletron is particularly tough though.

Jungle armor is generally better than diamond robe, I think... it's odd there would be no entrance to the underground jungle though. maybe a crimson generated right on top of it?

EoC spawned naturally and I took it on. Went fine for the most part, but mana became an issue there due to no/few enemies dropping stars. It looked fine for most of the fight, but holy mother was it aggressive towards the end. Almost impossible to hit, and certainly to dodge, so it became a close thing towards the end, despite having taken next to no damage until the darn thing was at 5% health or something. Was a relief to get it over the edge. Suppose the other bosses will be much more aggressive on Expert compared with Classic mode too?
Nice job. In expert mode, bosses can vary between very small changes (Eater of Worlds, Lunatic Cultists), to complete overhauls (Eye of Cthulhu, Brain of Cthulhu, Duke Fishron, Skeletron). I think you shouldn't read up on expert mode boss changes because imo, discovering them by surprise is much more fun.

it's odd there would be no entrance to the underground jungle though. maybe a crimson generated right on top of it?
That is certainly possible, because there is a thick region of crimson directly east of the jungle. I looked in all these small depressions, but they were all locked off, so eventually I started digging down in one of them.
Crimson-jungle.jpg
It's a strange map, or at least very different from the last I played (which is good I suppose). No surface water anywhere close to base. The closest is the oasis, roughly where the NPC icons are to the right in this image. Then a tiny surface lake by the only living wood on the map, way off to the right, next to the ocean.
I think you shouldn't read up on expert mode boss changes because imo, discovering them by surprise is much more fun.
Very much agree, and I don't want to read up on them. I enjoyed taking on the bosses blind on classic too. Especially that first fight is very intense. The Destroyer was nuts, as it was colossal compared to the earlier bosses (it was the first mech boss that spawned). I look forward to seeing how it goes, and how different they are :)

Stuff like that happens. But looks like you found some caves there in the jungle, so if you keep exploring there, that might will work. and you could check that cave too, you found below the leftmost crimson chasm.

If you have no surface lake, look for one in the cavern layer, and set up a cavern town nearby. Sometimes there are huge lakes underground, and they can be turned into awesome fishing spots with a little tinkering with them.

By the way, are those the only crimsons in the area? while it's bad they threaten the jungle and the desert once entering hardmode, they're quite conviniently in one area, so that could be relatively easy to quaranteene from the rest.

Also, curious, what color the dungeon is? It might looks like it's not super important, but sometimes it can actually tell us valuable informations, where the V will spawn.
I think, what I read is,
blue dungeon - evil on the left
pink dungeon - evil on the right
green dungeon - random
(this is about which side the evil half of the V will spawn (and obviously, the opposite side the hallow), not where the world evils initially are at worldgen, and it doesn't tells where exactly the V will appear. not 100% sure about this, but if things weren't changed about it, it might be still something that can tell us useful information.

Also, curious, what color the dungeon is? It might looks like it's not super important, but sometimes it can actually tell us valuable informations, where the V will spawn.
I think, what I read is,
green dungeon - random
(this is about which side the evil half of the V will spawn (and obviously, the opposite side the hallow), not where the world evils initially are at worldgen, and it doesn't tells where exactly the V will appear. not 100% sure about this, but if things weren't changed about it, it might be still something that can tell us useful information.
TIL this is a thing apparently?????????

TIL this is a thing apparently?????????
Well, I'm not 100% sure, but I read that, and I think, so far, it generally seems true.
Well, check some of your worlds that are in hardmode, and we can examine more, if this pattern is true with them too.

If it's indeed true, it's a cool little secret not many players know about. It's useless with green dungeons, but if it's blue or pink, that can be at least a basic useful indicator early game, whether it's likely you would have troubles with crimson eating your jungle in hardmode, or it will spawn the other side. XD

I think, what I read is,
green dungeon - random
Wow!!! This is truly something new, and quite exciting. If this is indeed correct (I tried to search, but didn't find much), it could play out nice in the current game. I've got blue bricks dungeon to the right, and all the evil to the left. As long as the new eVil doesn't smash right through the jungle again, it could turn out quite well. Last game I had a green dungeon that spawned the evil on the left, but that would also suit since you say green is random.

A thought that struck me: could this be something that was present previously, but has been patched out? Don't recall where I read it now, but seem to recall reading that it was based on the seed. Or just random. Would be interesting with feedback from others too, so we get a better idea if this fits, based on more save games.

I need to run now, but I'm pretty sure there was no evil on the right half of the world, where the ice was -- unless I somehow missed it and it was mostly just hidden in the snow. There certainly weren't any crimson cave entrances or the like. Probably 2-3 crimsons got lobbed on top or next to each other on the left side of the world.

I think, what I read is,
green dungeon - random

My most recent journey mode map throws this into question -- it is a drunk world seed, but the dungeon's blocks are actually blue, but the evil side of the V came through the right (right through my snow biome, ironically giving me both evils technically on the same side of the map now, because the hallow cut through part of the evil on the left side)

@Dragonlord
Well, drunk worlds are special in many ways, so they might be an exception. But it's an interesting observation.

@Pangaearocks
I know that I read this initially regarding pre-1.4, but it might apply now as well.
However some pointed out another interesting thing, and that is indeed related to seeds. Pre-1.4, it worked kind of different, and the place where the V will spawn, wasn't pre-determined, so, you could exit without save, and try to fight WoF again, in hope that the V will spawn a bit different area (though it would still follow the dungeon color indicator). So, you could tried again, and hope that it won't ruin your jungle, but ruin your desert instead, or something XD lol
However since 1.4, the place where the V will appear is pre-determined, and even if you would exit without save and fight WoF again, the V will spawn the same place. That's what I read somewhere.

Cheers. I probably found the same source with that information. On the Hardmode page of the wiki.
The direction of Hallow/Corruption/Crimson biomes is random, but its position is determined by World Seed. The selection of Corruption/Crimson on a drunk seed is determined by the dominant evil, and changes at 4:30 every day.
That sentence has a reference to a video, but that one is of a "For the worthy" world if I understand correctly, which may impact things. Saw some of the video, and the evil could flip.

In this thread: PC - Hardmode "V" projection for this map
The mechanism is random but seems to have a set range. There are basically 2 starting points which are calculated, their Y velocity is set but their X speed is always opposite and toward each others (hence why the "V" shape). Not entirelly sure where they start, most likelly the top of the world itself (which means it can possibly affect floating islands too). Also looks like it does not depend on WoF's position at all. The way of predicting where the line will be is basically:
-Divide world in two equal parts from the middle, so that you have an equal long left and right side.
-Identify which side has the dungeon.
-On the side with no dungeon, line will start in a random location ranging from 3/5 to 4/5 of it on the left side, or from 2/5 to 3/5 if on the right side.
-On the side with the dungeon, line will start in a random location rangring from 2/5 to 3/5 of it on the left side, or from 3/5 to 4/5 if on the right side.
-It's impossible to predict what side will have hallow or corruption as it is entirelly random, but the horizontal speed of the line is 3/5 of vertical speed, so have fun trying to predict the potential trajectories.
The last line is most pertinent here.

But I see contradicting information elsewhere: Is the Hallow & Crimson/Corruption "V" random or predetermined?
So, is this still random? I am up to 37 resets and the only thing I can change seems to be where the Crimson starts but it is always to the right leaving me nearly no surface Hallow on the left of my map (which is why I am going back to try and reset it.)

To address comment conversations below. I am now up to 58 resets on the same world attempting to get the Hallow and Crimson spawns to swap places on my world.

Edit insert: Looking further into that world (he posted a link with info):
Dungeon Notes - Pink and is fairly large on the Right side of the map. I feel like I have only been through about a 2/3rds of it however. Some open chambers but also just some long winding corridors.
Therefore this fits well with the information @Sora_92 posted. Pink dungeon and evil to the right. [editend]

Looks like this person used version 1.3.5.3 of the game, however, so it's possible something changed in 1.4 (although I don't see anything in the changelog on relevant pages on the wiki).

Once I get there, I can try to fight the WoF multiple times to see what happens, because this world has blue dungeon bricks. But that will of course take a long while.

I suppose how this works doesn't ultimately matter all that much, it appears where it appears and we try to deal with it, but it's interesting to look into it. Different and contradicting information out there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom