Tasks before Hardmode

Cheers. I probably found the same source with that information. On the Hardmode page of the wiki.

That sentence has a reference to a video, but that one is of a "For the worthy" world if I understand correctly, which may impact things. Saw some of the video, and the evil could flip.

In this thread: PC - Hardmode "V" projection for this map

The last line is most pertinent here.

But I see contradicting information elsewhere: Is the Hallow & Crimson/Corruption "V" random or predetermined?

Edit insert: Looking further into that world (he posted a link with info):

Therefore this fits well with the information @Sora_92 posted. Pink dungeon and evil to the right. [editend]

Looks like this person used version 1.3.5.3 of the game, however, so it's possible something changed in 1.4 (although I don't see anything in the changelog on relevant pages on the wiki).

Once I get there, I can try to fight the WoF multiple times to see what happens, because this world has blue dungeon bricks. But that will of course take a long while.

I suppose how this works doesn't ultimately matter all that much, it appears where it appears and we try to deal with it, but it's interesting to look into it. Different and contradicting information out there.
Just checked the source codes. While the codes have slightly changed, both the position of the V shape and the evil/good biomes are predetermined by seed. In my original post I intended to say it *was* random but failed to mention the randomness was determined by the seed in the first place. The code calls seed-determined calculations "random" and that can cause some confusion.

Just checked the source codes. While the codes have slightly changed, both the position of the V shape and the evil/good biomes are predetermined by seed. In my original post I intended to say it *was* random but failed to mention the randomness was determined by the seed in the first place. The code calls seed-determined calculations "random" and that can cause some confusion.
Maybe the direction of the evil biomes in Hardmode is determined by the same part of the seed as the Dungeon colour?

Maybe the direction of the evil biomes in Hardmode is determined by the same part of the seed as the Dungeon colour?
Randomness is calculated based on how often a random number is generated. The seed is essentially sort of like a "starting" number, every seemingly random number after it is predictable if using the same seed, given you know exactly HOW many times a random number has been called before then .
For example, say your seed is 4, you generate random numbers 4, 2, 7, 8, 9. You will now know the fifth random number will always be 9. However because there are so many random numbers, we don't know for certain *which* random number determines both the dungeon color and the side without counting every single random call.

It is totally plausible that by the time the the code has to pick a side, the random number picked is going to be predictable based on a previous number. After all one is a 1/3 chance while the other is a 1/2. We're talking very small numbers that can easily repeat.
However it being random and there being such a huge amount of things generating random numbers, it is very hard to predict exactly what's going on at every given time.

TL/DR it's possible but there's too much randomness to be able to tell based on the code alone

Wow. Did not know this was possible. Fished up a gills potion and figured I should walk along the ocean floor to see if there were any chests.
Ocean tunnel.jpg

Got a surprise while exploring the snow biome as well, but a rather more stark one. Quick glance of a skull, then insta-gibbed :D
Must have fallen down that area, which for some reason has dungeon blocks (and walls) without any barriers. Mr Floating Head didn't much like it!

Skull:red:ed.jpg

Expert is a lot tougher. However, I'm doing much better with the Amber magic staff. Tried to tackle Brain of Cthulhu after smashing three hearts, but that was too hard. Got it down to around 25% health, but it kept jumping on top of me. Since then, the staff has been upgraded to a diamond staff, which deals a little more damage, is a little faster, but also costs a little more mana. Amazing it took 50-ish hours to get 8 diamonds, but then they are quite rare. Got most of them from the Extractinator.

It's interesting when you see such animalies in worldgen. Well, ocean tunnels are a thing now, but that thing there with the dungeon is unusual.

There are other interesting things too, like having jungle and desert switching places (so, the jungle being closer to spawn, and the desert being farther), or having the snow biome be around spawn, or I even heard about maps where the spawn is on a floating island! Didn't seen such yet though. But seen snow spawn, desert-jungle flip, also, seen somewhere a desert generated in the middle of the snow XD lol, or a tiny desert with a pyramid, that was mostly in the jungle - also saw jungle temple being half in the desert, or a jungle temple without a door XD lol, ah, and, saw such dungeon wall outside of the dungeon once, on a multiplayer playthrough, where a granite biome next to the dungeon had dungeon walls instead of granite XD lol
There are lots of weird stuff like that, and it's fun to find such. Too bad you can't tell the map in advance, to surprise you with a few weird stuff like that. Sometimes, some maps are "just normal". which is good too, but it can be fun to run into some weird stuff sometimes. XD

By the way, I would recommend fighting BoC on the surface. You can summon it with item too. (do smash some more hearts too though for loot). And, creepers drop both crimtane and tissue samples, so, it's actually possible to make full crimtane armor and stuff, even if you couldn't defeat it yet. That armor might be helpful in the fight too. It is not a mage armor per-se, but it's a decent one regardless.

Being so new to the game, I've not really had a clue on what is a "typical" map, but that said, those things sound pretty wacko. Especially desert in the snow, haha. Jungle temple without a door? :D How do you get in? :D "Oi! Mr Golem, you smell! And are ugly... and the snakes don't like you, hissing about how bad you smell behind your back. Also, you smell like goblin farts!!" XD

This map is probably fairly bog standard, or on the unlucky side. Odd to not have any surface lakes anywhere nearby, and there weren't any real cave entrances either. A couple of tunnels (straight through elevated land), but not one of those that traverse way down. Also noticed there was an ocean tunnel or cave on the other side (though I've not been able to explore it yet).

One thing I do wonder about, however, given that this is a mage playthrough: what are more typical early game accessory setups?

So far I've gone with roughly what I did last time. So Bottle-double-jump, frog gear, band of regeneration, bezoar and running boots. I kinda forgot about the Shield of Cthulhu and kept it in a vanity slot. Ooops. Had another go at the Brain now, and thankfully beat it. The last stage was a little confusing, heh. At least for the time being, when not in the jungle, have replaced the bezoar with the Brain of Confusion. That sounded pretty good. However, I have no magic-related accessories...

Last edited:
The previous map was probably pretty normal too. But, yeah, you can see weird stuff sometimes XD
Actually, that jungle temple had an entrance, but there was no door (but I saw screenshots of jungle temples, where the entrance was blocked by lizhard bricks, so it would been impossible the enter without items from another world, to mine it XD
But the one I saw was just like this.
the lanterns were placed by me (cheated in via cheat sheets mod). I found this temple early game, and looted it after EoC(!) - initially wanted to loot it pre-bosses, but EoC spawned XD note that it was a normal playthrough, but so, lizhards are quite weak... XD of course, you can't summon golem pre-plantera though.
Capture 2019-08-13 01_11_25.png

Note that it's obvious by design, that the (locked) door should be where Chrysanta is standing, but there is no door. XD

And, yeah, lakes vary. Sometimes there aren't any large ones on the surface. But you usually find some large ones underground too. You can actually make lakes on your own too though. There are ways like pumps, and endless buckets, but you can actually make lakes almost at the start using water duplication glitch. you just need 1 bucket. and fill it with water, and, then, dig out a hole where you want the lake, then place some blocks in a small U shape above it (so, there's one empty block there in the middle) and if you stand there and move the bucket very fast, you pour out some water, but the same time, catch some of that water, so you can pour out that too, then catch some of it again (the U shape mostly needed that some water flows in there too, so, if you accidentally misclick or anything requires attention, like a monster, you can continue it using the water in there (by picking it up with the bucket) it's probably much easier to do, than to explain XD lol

It might be a glitch, but it can be very useful, when fishing matters, like, if you planned to fish lots, but there's just no lake where you need it.

Yeah, there aren't many mage accessories early game, I think it's mostly the nature's gift and its derivates, and the band of starpower and its derivates. If you got a panic necklace, you might want to craft it into a band of starpower.
But otherwise, it's mostly normal accessories early game, yes.

Also, something to note regarding accessories on expert mode. You probably read about it, but the item that comes from WoF's treasure bag gives you 1 more accessory slot. (can be only used once per character, and the effect does not works in normal worlds) so, in hardmode, you will have 6 accessory slots on exper, instead of the standard 5. pretty cool! (on master mode, you have +1 since the start, so there you have 7 in total by hardmode, but well, master mode is very tough (IMO) so that's kind of needed too XD)

Funky temple without a door. A rare bug I assume. Would have been funny if you could summon the Golem, though, and then take on the Moon Lord shortly after via the cultists, without fighting Eye of Cthulhu :D

Yes, I read about that extra accessory slot. I'm sure that will be very nice to have, since the game is a fair bit more difficult, and I'm sure early hardmode will be extremely brutal. That extra slot might help a little then.

Think I need to look up those accessories you mention, just in case they're more useful than what I'm currently wearing. Haven't found a Panic Necklace, tho.

Nice with some real progress in the save lately, after faffing about a lot with building, fishing and jungle and desert exploration. Defeated BoC and then Skeletron. The latter wasn't as bad as I thought, but then I did create an arena, and used some potions, including Endurance. Been to the dungeon and collected enough bones to make the Void bag items. That will be great, as it has been quite painful to have so little storage space while exploring. And once again I keep postponing sorting out the chests... That whole big room in the cellar, full of chests, and not one item in them :D 😱

Expert Skeletron defeated.jpg
Don't recall where I found the Tavernkeep last time, but isn't he supposed to be underground somewhere? I was looking for him while exploring deep underground, then he suddenly shows up, sleeping outside a door in the old NPC hostel. Weird.
Tavernkeep on surface.jpg

That's quite impressive. Expert skeletron is very tough, so, imressive if you defeated him on first try or something, huh.

Speaking of the dungeon, there are some nice mage weapons there too. Magic missille and aqua scepter. But the other thing to look for is the key, of course, since shadow chests/obsidian lock boxes have some awesome mage weapons too. flower of fire is decent too, but there's also flamelash, which is really powerful. It works similar to the magic missile, that it summons a projectile you can control with the cursor, however it's stronger, and can hit enemies up to 2 times before disappearing, and it does a small area dmg, so you can hit stuff right on the other side of the door or such. it also provides a decent amount of light, the only drawback is, that it's a fire weapon, and as such, it can't be used in water. But, it's really an amazing mage weapon, that should do well even in early hardmode. (but it's a bit slow to be very useful against WoF itself)

As for the tavernkeep, he appears after EoW/BoC, but he can spawn pretty much anywhere. I think wiki says something like surface/underground.
Capture 2019-08-13 08_25_19.png

Thanks. Yeah, it actually was the first time fighting Expert Skeletron. Did use some potions to help me out, tho. From memory: ironskin, regeneration, mana regeneration, endurance, swiftness, and I think heartreach too. Not sure if any hearts were dropped, mind you, so maybe that was futile. Also got the newbie wings after getting to some sky islands. Ascent is slower, I think, but flight time is a bit longer, which probably helps in these fights were you usually need to move around a lot. Also equipped the Shield of Cthulhu and tried to use it to dodge, but I tended to just run into him over and over again, so it oddly may have hurt. So far I've found it very awkward to use.

Did indeed get the shadow key earlier in the dungeon, so have been in hell now for a long while (hehe). Only found one shadow chest, oddly enough, and nothing decent inside, but did get a couple of demon scythes from enemies. Am trying to use it, but it can be a little difficult due to the slowness of the attack. I've found it can work out well if somebody are chasing me, or standing still on a platform for example. General use it more tricky. For the most part I still prefer using the diamond staff. It's honestly really good, and kinda feels like a not-as-good Terra Blade. Attacks very fast, and with a little penetration. Damage doesn't quite hold up any more, but until now it has been very good, and it's what I used against Skeletron. Won't be good enough when moving into hardmode, but unless I find something better, think I'll use it when I try out Wall of Flesh. The range should be good there, assuming I'm able to stay ahead of the giant beast. That's going to be unlikely unless I go through the painful work of mining holes in all those buildings down there.

Must admit, though, it was quite confusing to fight down in hell, when I have a demon scythe and a fire imp minion, and we are up against rather many fire imps and demons :D

Speaking of buildings, it's funny how different this experience has been. Must have used an Obsidian Shield or something last time, because I got seriously confused when I was set on fire just by walking on some buildings. Turns out some of them are different, and are made of fire -- or close enough. Not being immune to that effect, practically makes it impossible to get past them (at this stage). Well, I suppose obsidian skin potion will do the trick, but I left all those at home.

Btw, what's the view on the Grey Zapinator magic gun? The Travelling Merchant had it, and I bought it. The listed damage is quite high, but the gun fires quite slowly, and doesn't have auto-fire. Have only tested it out against a few slimes so far. Is it good?

Small nice thing I discovered about lakes. Looks like the "depth region" is decided by where you stand, not where the lake is (if that makes sense). I happen to have an underground lake slightly under the base. Now when I see the info on the screen, it says 8' Surface when I stand on the platforms I made. But the top of the lake itself is below the Surface. I tested it out by using the hook on some of the surfaces there, like underneath the platform and the different parts of the dirt to the right of them. Yet I end up getting Surface fish from there, including Fish of Cthulhu and such for quests. Given I have no actual surface lake anywhere nearby, that was a pleasant surprise.
Underground Surface lake.jpg

Last edited:
The 3 high-tier gem staves are actually surprisingly awesome indeed, but I'm not sure if they will be good against WoF. Demon scythe on the other hand is often said to be good against it. It do works, but using it can be quite tricky, since it's so slow. - but that doesn't quite matters there, you just run ahead and send those scythes at the wall. I guess. It has very good attack power, but it's a bit of a pain to use, since it lacks autoswing.

Did you found the magic weapons from the dungeon I mentioned? Also, you can get the hell weapons from obsidian lock boxes too,that comes from crates from lava. Though there's surely several shadow chests, you just have to find them.
Also, yeah, most tower down there use obsidian bricks, but some are made from hellstone bricks. Much like the material they're made from, you'll burn, if you stand on it, without anything to have immunity (obsidian skull, obsidian skin potion, etc.)

Zapinators are weird weapons. (the's an orange version in hardmode too) they're broken, so, the attacks are quite random, some attacks deal decent damage, some doesn't, and the shots behave very different. Zapinators are weird weapons, and not particularly reliable, but with some good luck, they can pack a punch.

Give a try to other magic weapons too though, like the space gun, or the bee gun.
Though if you ask me, I usually prefer more mage-like magic weapons, but magic guns are a thing too.

Also, I wonder how exactly lakes like that work. I'm not quite sure whether it's based on the position of the player, or the lake... it is possible it's based on the player position.

Not found the Flamelash, but did get the Magic Missile and Aqua Scepter. Wasn't thrilled with the Aqua scepter, and it was a little tricky to get to terms with the Magic Missile too. Used it a little, but not battle-hardened in the dungeon.

Holy mother that place is brutal! So.. many.. enemies..! Must have been there for at least an hour, and came out with 9 angry bones banners. That's at least 450 kills. Despite removing some water candles, they just keep coming and coming, with barely a second's pause to hack away some spikes. It's a fun challenge, but it got exhausting with the sound effects non-stop for so long.

Managed to use the demon scythe a fair bit on them, but it's a bit tricky since it's so slow to start. It does more damage than the diamond staff, tho, so I'm trying to get used to it. In general, however, I like (magic) weapons that fire straight and with auto-swing, because it makes all the hectic fights with lots of moving about easier to handle. Directing a projectile (like the magic missile) will be hard in all the chaotic situations we end up in, I think. With a weapon like the diamond staff, you can fire in an enemy's general direction, maybe spread it out a little to try to predict enemy movement, or if there are several, and most likely kill or injure several, often a screen away. It keeps you safe, while thinning out some of the packs. Have also found it good for boss battles, when you move around a lot and ping at bosses from every which way. Therefore I hope to find more weapons like that, that can hold up in hardmode as well. But if not, I'll try to get used to new ones. The demon scythe seems to work okay, at least in some situations. Bigger hitbox than the staff too.

Since you mention the bee gun, that reminds me that I need to try the Queen Bee again. She has killed me twice already. So little room, despite building a mini-arena, and all those projectiles/bees overwhelmed me. Maybe I'll get her next time.

Impression so far has been that once you get past the very early game, Expert isn't too terrible. But I'm sure early hardmode will be extremely brutal again. Struggled something fierce with that on Classic. That was with a melee character, tho, and those jumping derplings and turtles and suchlike slayed me over and over and over again 😢 :D

Looking at the Ankh Shield on the wiki, I have some of those items, but lack others that have very low drop chances. Adhesive Bandage is quite limited in who can drop it, plus low drop chances. However, I do have vitamins, trifold map, bezoar, blindfold and fast clock -- plus the Obsidian Shield.

Drop Bezoar in the new Shimmer to get a Bandage.

Any item that directly makes the ankh charm has 2 ingredients. Those 2 ingredients can be transmuted to the other in Shimmer.. so if you are lucky and get 2 of 1, but not the other, you can still make it.

Shimmer spawns under 1 of the oceans, I think Cavern layer.

As for your accessories.. I mean they are fine, but if you want advice..

Upgrade your cloud in a bottle to a Bundle of Balloons. I normally find a world seed with a balloon and make 3 of those worlds. Otherwise ya need to hunt for 3 red balloons. I also have a world seed with lava charm, ice skates, and all 3 bottles for the bundle of balloons.

Upgrade boots to Teraspark.

In the 1.4.4 update even the Cellphone can be upgraded with the 2 Conch's. Magic Conch from I think deserts, and Demon Conch from lava fishing. (Hellstone bars and a bug net will make a net to catch lava critters to fish in lava, Teraspark boots will allow walking on lava and give lava immunity)

All wings prevent all fall damage.. fledgeling wings before hardmode, leaf wings can be bought for I think 75 gold from Witch Doctor housed in the jungle. I got lucky and got a Giant Harpy feather super early before hardmode, or you could farm pixies for those wings; all will need you too kill Wyverns for Souls of Flight besides fledgling and leaf, since you don't need to craft those ones.

It's better to find the cobalt shield to attach an obsidian skull to than the horseshoe; the bundle of balloons give quadruple jump, wings will prevent fall damage like a horseshoe, and the cobalt shield crafts into the ankh shield eventually, granting immunity to -alot- of annoying debuffs; while it's base shield gives knockback immunity, a must have for most things since it's hard to aim if your are constantly getting pushed around.

Now. You may not even still have this world or character, but thought this would be good info for those looking at this forum post, like I am, as they are going into hardmode for the first time, or after a long hiatus, and not wanting to miss stuff.

Hallow Mimic gives the best ranged weapon for it's point in the game, Daedalus Stormbow. I think Corrupt for magic and Crimson for melee, but they could both be melee, but crimson is very close melee. The Fetid Ba... Not even gonna butcher it's name, I never used, but if you like up close melee may be good..

As for gear.. I have used Space Gun from once the first meteor drops up until I get early hardmode weapons, then switch to the underworlds mace the Dao of Pow. Space Gun only used while wearing Meteor Armor. I'm preparing a larger world for hardmode now and while I have hardmode ore armors I am still using Meteor, but most my accessories have +3/+4 Armor, so it isn't much a difference. Reforging accessories can give up to +20 defense, almost a third of even hardmode ore armors.

This would need another world since I think ya mention Adamantine.. but Titanium gives a very good set bonus for melee users. It's set bonus basically gives you shields that damage enemies.. not as good against ranged enemies but can wreck melee ones if used right.

Once you down a boss definitely head to the jungle, and learn how to counter the enemies there, while nabbing some Life Fruit to max out health (500)

Farming for Souls of Light/Night should also be a priority; they are needed for some crafting and allow you to spawn greater Mimics, although you won't need too many with a bit of luck, since each one usually only has 1-2 things you will be aiming to get, outside of collecting things or multiclassing (as in, aiming to get gear for multiple classes)

Before you defeat the Mech Bosses, the easiest is The Destroyer. By using the right weapons and making an elevated arena, it can be cheesed pretty simply, the Twins can be too but require fast boots and a skybridge, or a gravitation potions. (Make it chase you... Until it dies. Meaning it can't hit you much and it remains on one side of you, making aiming alot easier) and Skeletron Prime can be annoying since it's 4 arms and the head all attacking, so I recommend that one last.

I'm surprised you have got so far with a Cobalt Shield. It's one of my first (Read: Only) priorities after Meteor gear. Horseshoes aren't really used as much so glad they have been getting love.. but they aren't used for a reason; wings do the same thing as a 'side effect' almost, in addition to a main effect.

TL:DR, weapons should be the biggest priority, agreed, but look into Accessories too. You grinded for the Cellphone and nothing besides Shell Phone and Zenith has a bigger crafting trees, although Ankh Shield is close.. So a Bundle of Balloons and Obsidian Shield shouldn't be anything difficult at this point. Fledgling Wings as a minimum to compensate fall damage.

Drop Bezoar in the new Shimmer to get a Bandage.

Any item that directly makes the ankh charm has 2 ingredients. Those 2 ingredients can be transmuted to the other in Shimmer.. so if you are lucky and get 2 of 1, but not the other, you can still make it.

Shimmer spawns under 1 of the oceans, I think Cavern layer.

As for your accessories.. I mean they are fine, but if you want advice..

Upgrade your cloud in a bottle to a Bundle of Balloons. I normally find a world seed with a balloon and make 3 of those worlds. Otherwise ya need to hunt for 3 red balloons. I also have a world seed with lava charm, ice skates, and all 3 bottles for the bundle of balloons.

Upgrade boots to Teraspark.

In the 1.4.4 update even the Cellphone can be upgraded with the 2 Conch's. Magic Conch from I think deserts, and Demon Conch from lava fishing. (Hellstone bars and a bug net will make a net to catch lava critters to fish in lava, Teraspark boots will allow walking on lava and give lava immunity)

All wings prevent all fall damage.. fledgeling wings before hardmode, leaf wings can be bought for I think 75 gold from Witch Doctor housed in the jungle. I got lucky and got a Giant Harpy feather super early before hardmode, or you could farm pixies for those wings; all will need you too kill Wyverns for Souls of Flight besides fledgling and leaf, since you don't need to craft those ones.

It's better to find the cobalt shield to attach an obsidian skull to than the horseshoe; the bundle of balloons give quadruple jump, wings will prevent fall damage like a horseshoe, and the cobalt shield crafts into the ankh shield eventually, granting immunity to -alot- of annoying debuffs; while it's base shield gives knockback immunity, a must have for most things since it's hard to aim if your are constantly getting pushed around.

Now. You may not even still have this world or character, but thought this would be good info for those looking at this forum post, like I am, as they are going into hardmode for the first time, or after a long hiatus, and not wanting to miss stuff.

Hallow Mimic gives the best ranged weapon for it's point in the game, Daedalus Stormbow. I think Corrupt for magic and Crimson for melee, but they could both be melee, but crimson is very close melee. The Fetid Ba... Not even gonna butcher it's name, I never used, but if you like up close melee may be good..

As for gear.. I have used Space Gun from once the first meteor drops up until I get early hardmode weapons, then switch to the underworlds mace the Dao of Pow. Space Gun only used while wearing Meteor Armor. I'm preparing a larger world for hardmode now and while I have hardmode ore armors I am still using Meteor, but most my accessories have +3/+4 Armor, so it isn't much a difference. Reforging accessories can give up to +20 defense, almost a third of even hardmode ore armors.

This would need another world since I think ya mention Adamantine.. but Titanium gives a very good set bonus for melee users. It's set bonus basically gives you shields that damage enemies.. not as good against ranged enemies but can wreck melee ones if used right.

Once you down a boss definitely head to the jungle, and learn how to counter the enemies there, while nabbing some Life Fruit to max out health (500)

Farming for Souls of Light/Night should also be a priority; they are needed for some crafting and allow you to spawn greater Mimics, although you won't need too many with a bit of luck, since each one usually only has 1-2 things you will be aiming to get, outside of collecting things or multiclassing (as in, aiming to get gear for multiple classes)

Before you defeat the Mech Bosses, the easiest is The Destroyer. By using the right weapons and making an elevated arena, it can be cheesed pretty simply, the Twins can be too but require fast boots and a skybridge, or a gravitation potions. (Make it chase you... Until it dies. Meaning it can't hit you much and it remains on one side of you, making aiming alot easier) and Skeletron Prime can be annoying since it's 4 arms and the head all attacking, so I recommend that one last.

I'm surprised you have got so far with a Cobalt Shield. It's one of my first (Read: Only) priorities after Meteor gear. Horseshoes aren't really used as much so glad they have been getting love.. but they aren't used for a reason; wings do the same thing as a 'side effect' almost, in addition to a main effect.

TL:DR, weapons should be the biggest priority, agreed, but look into Accessories too. You grinded for the Cellphone and nothing besides Shell Phone and Zenith has a bigger crafting trees, although Ankh Shield is close.. So a Bundle of Balloons and Obsidian Shield shouldn't be anything difficult at this point. Fledgling Wings as a minimum to compensate fall damage.
While I praise your effort, the post you're responding to is a year and a half old, and the guy behind it hasn't logged in for as long either. It's rather likely that he either already completed that playthrough or lost interest.

Back
Top Bottom