Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
The tavernkeep doesn't appear to apply the happiness modifier for discounts to old one army weapons. Is it intended that you get no discount/surcharge on these weapons when every other item that is sold does?

I tried on two worlds one where the tavernkeep has a 15% discount and one where he has a 12% increase all the weapons/armor for defender medals are unchanged in cost.

I looked through the wiki and didn't see any mention of it not supposed to work on these items. Not that defender medals are hard to get I just think its an oversight in the new happiness system if it is only applied to coin based item costs.

The tavernkeep doesn't appear to apply the happiness modifier for discounts to old one army weapons. Is it intended that you get no discount/surcharge on these weapons when every other item that is sold does?

I tried on two worlds one where the tavernkeep has a 15% discount and one where he has a 12% increase all the weapons/armor for defender medals are unchanged in cost.

I looked through the wiki and didn't see any mention of it not supposed to work on these items. Not that defender medals are hard to get I just think its an oversight in the new happiness system if it is only applied to coin based item costs.
I think this is intended just because it’s the OOA event that is a crossover with dungeon defenders 2, and I don’t think it didn’t get changed because of that reason

I think it's because defender medals can't be divided into smaller currencies like coins can, and making them be affected by happiness would either lower the cost way too much or way too little as a result because of rounding.

I think you could easily round it to whole medal values, so that shouldn't be an issue. And they changed every other NPC which several are references to other media/games as well. Why is this one exempt?

I think you could easily round it to whole medal values, so that shouldn't be an issue. And they changed every other NPC which several are references to other media/games as well. Why is this one exempt?
Again, because it would be messy and the values would be rounded far, far more than with coin values. Terraria always rounds things down, so if you had 21% reduced price for an item costing 5 medals, the price would be reduced all the way down to 3. This is a 40% discount when the intent is 21%, and really is way too skewed.

Again, because it would be messy and the values would be rounded far, far more than with coin values. Terraria always rounds things down, so if you had 21% reduced price for an item costing 5 medals, the price would be reduced all the way down to 3. This is a 40% discount when the intent is 21%, and really is way too skewed.
I don't think you understand how rounding works at all. 21% x 5 would mean it would give it a value of 4 as 21% of 5 is 3.95 which would round it to 4. Anything before .49 would round down and anything .5 or higher would round up, that's just how rounding works. I have never seen terraria always round down as you mention and I've literally been played nearly 1500 hours at this point, any rounding that is done is done correctly. You can see this when you have 12%, 15% and 8% values added to items that do 20 dmg, only adding 1-3 points of base damage.

I don't think you understand how rounding works at all. 21% x 5 would mean it would give it a value of 4 as 21% of 5 is 3.95 which would round it to 4. Anything before .49 would round down and anything .5 or higher would round up, that's just how rounding works. I have never seen terraria always round down as you mention and I've literally been played nearly 1500 hours at this point, any rounding that is done is done correctly. You can see this when you have 12%, 15% and 8% values added to items that do 20 dmg, only adding 1-3 points of base damage.
I was confusing it with Use Time, sorry about that. It doesn’t seem consistent as to which things it affects, but I do know for a fact that Use Time always does round down.

Use Time has breakpoints for it to be effective. You can see this in pickaxe speed with how many frames it takes to break a block.

I literally tested the math this morning to verify it works like math is supposed to. I had a necro armor on(15% damage increase) had a minishark with demonic(17% increase) and tested by removing each piece of armor to see when it changed. Took out the calculator and verified it rounded up when it was over .5 correctly. Math is math man, it doesn't work oddly.

Use Time has breakpoints for it to be effective. You can see this in pickaxe speed with how many frames it takes to break a block.

I literally tested the math this morning to verify it works like math is supposed to. I had a necro armor on(15% damage increase) had a minishark with demonic(17% increase) and tested by removing each piece of armor to see when it changed. Took out the calculator and verified it rounded up when it was over .5 correctly. Math is math man, it doesn't work oddly.
I just admitted my mistake.

Please keep discussions civil.

As Greybrynn mentioned, items costing Defender Medals are not discounted due to happiness. Nor are they penalised due to unhappiness. The medal cost does not change.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to be an :red: about it, but he already explained his position. In some games, rounding does work differently than it would normally, so your snide "math is math" is not just rude but factually incorrect.
My comment math is math because a program that you insert a value and ask it to round, should round correctly. The only time it doesn't is when it is specifically programmed not to. I literally use debuggers for a living and the round function works every single time you use it. So its not snide to state a fact that math of rounding works when you are rounding, not sure what games you play or if you aren't paying close enough attention to the numbers to think that the numbers are rounding differently.

I was literally commenting that it isn't discounted I literally understand that its not discounted because that's what I am reporting. It doesn't make sense to discount cost on vendors if you aren't doing it for all goods, unless you specify it doesn't work for specific types. Not like this game does a good job explaining mechanics outside of the wiki from people data mining the game, and nowhere does it mention that the medals do not get a discount or intended not to.

Back
Top Bottom