Tax collector rescue is not obvious enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly the entire game requires out of the box thinking. How did you about floating islands, the way to summon the Wall, Duke, when to go back to the Dungeon after beating Golem, or the Truffle? Thinking outside the box. Or dumb luck, but eh.
the armsdealer mentions something about a guide voodoo doll in hell, while you're there grabbing some hellstone theres the dumb luck of that voodoo doll falling in lava.

for floating islands the angler talks about those now and then (Did you know there's magical islands that float up high in the sky? Bet you didn't! They say angels live in the sky, and I believe those angels have fins and gills and swim around! I believe you must catch one for me!)

for the part about going to the dungeon after beating the golem, that just requires a tiny bit of thinking of where you could go next (after going underground all over the place for the hardmode ores and going through the jungle there's only a few places to look) and you can't miss those cultists dancing around.

Truffle and duke is pretty much either real dumb luck or just learning about it thanks to wikis/this forum.

theres the dumb luck of that voodoo doll falling in lava.
Or dumb luck, but eh.

Of course I used him. But his tips end on demon altars and souls and never mention sky islands and there's nothing except wild guessing and a picture somewhere underground that may not even spawn in your world to base an assumption they exist.
for floating islands the angler talks about those now and then (Did you know there's magical islands that float up high in the sky? Bet you didn't! They say angels live in the sky, and I believe those angels have fins and gills and swim around! I believe you must catch one for me!)
for the part about going to the dungeon after beating the golem, that just requires a tiny bit of thinking of where you could go next (after going underground all over the place for the hardmode ores and going through the jungle there's only a few places to look) and you can't miss those cultists dancing around.
Except:
A You already went to the Dungeon. Twice.
B Most people barely ever go near the place, as most stuff needed is before it.
Truffle and duke is pretty much either real dumb luck or just learning about it thanks to wikis/this forum.
Refer to the first qupte from me.

Again, why making such a big deal over an NPC that is only gonna give you 10 golds every 3 days? He's really not important and there's no point in making him "more obvious".

Again, why making such a big deal over an NPC that is only gonna give you 10 golds every 3 days? He's really not important and there's no point in making him "more obvious".
If some feature is not vital enough, it shouldn't be discussed? There's no point in lots of things, but it will be just more comfortable.

IMO if the game requires player to go through the wiki to learn features with no way to learn them ingame, it's an issue that should be addressed and discussed.

If some feature is not vital enough, it shouldn't be discussed? There's no point in lots of things, but it will be just more comfortable.

IMO if the game requires player to go through the wiki to learn features with no way to learn them ingame, it's an issue that should be addressed and discussed.

Just expand the Guide's hints to include a hint regarding the Tortured Soul, with the word "purify" somewhere.
Bam. Problem solved.

Honestly the entire game requires out of the box thinking. How did you about floating islands, the way to summon the Wall, Duke, when to go back to the Dungeon after beating Golem, or the Truffle? Thinking outside the box. Or dumb luck, but eh.
I found out about floating islands because I was building a sky bridge. I encountered the Wall of Flesh because accidental voodoo dolls, the cultists are kinda hard to miss since a lot of people go to the dungeon. And really, anyone taking a quick stroll around their world would see them. Duke Fishron is a boss so people would find out about it anyway. Truffle? Truffle is actually kinda dumb too. I even made a surface mushroom biome without realizing Truffle existed. Thing is, he's the path toward Shroomite and you can see exactly how to make shroomite via the guide. Then you'd take a trip to the wiki to find out more.

But the Tax Collector? No. That's just ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure all the people who are supporting this are really only asking for some NPC's to talk about him. That's it.

This game is a sandbox game. You can do anything you want. There isn't always a guide to everything because not everything needs to be explained. Some things don't need explaining either. You aren't required to get the Tax Collector as he's not needed at all. He gives you free Silver based on the amount of NPCs you have.

So just because there isn't an easy way to find out about him doesn't mean there needs to be one. I didn't know he was there until I saw Yrimirs video and even then I didn't get him for another week.

This game is a sandbox game. You can do anything you want. There isn't always a guide to everything because not everything needs to be explained. Some things don't need explaining either. You aren't required to get the Tax Collector as he's not needed at all. He gives you free Silver based on the amount of NPCs you have.

So just because there isn't an easy way to find out about him doesn't mean there needs to be one. I didn't know he was there until I saw Yrimirs video and even then I didn't get him for another week.
Terraria is also an action adventure game.
And ah yes, just because you didn't want him very much, then everyone else surely must not care much for him either... -_-

Honestly? The Tax Collector is a life saver for me. He's the closest thing to my suggestion way back when and the extra 10 gold every once in awhile is great. Even if you don't sped money constantly, pocketing 10 gold is wonderful.

For this game, the forums, other players and the wiki are required reading... without them, nobody (and I mean nobody) would find all the things in it.

... but since the forums, wiki, and other players do exist - all is good :)

For this game, the forums, other players and the wiki are required reading... without them, nobody (and I mean nobody) would find all the things in it.

... but since the forums, wiki, and other players do exist - all is good :)
Except me and many others in this thread discovered it on their own, using past experiences.

My experience encountering the Tortured Soul:
Oh hey a new hell mob! And its showing up on the rare enemy thing! Man, this thing must drop some cool loot!
*kills*
*nothing*
*finds another*
*kills*
*nothing*
*never finds another*
It was never obvious I needed to use purification powder on it (especially seeing as how I never use it anyways) until I found out about it on youtube.
Everything else you can find out. "HEY BEAT A STRONG ENEMY AND DRYAD!" "HEY BRO, I ACCIDENTALLY LOCKED SOMEONE IN DUNGEON WHILE CURSED!"
Even with items, you get a material? Show the guide! He'll tell you how to make everything in the game that you can make.
I agree that there needs to be some sort of mention of purifying the Tortured Soul.

-Flying around randomly after you've gotten wings. Found the floating islands.
-Killing a Voodoo Demon while it's over lava, resorting to the Guide or the Arms Dealer. Found the Wall of Flesh.
-Fishing in the Ocean while trying out your new Truffle Worm bait. Found Duke Fishron.
-"Screams are echoing from the Dungeon."

The Truffle is pretty hard to discover, but not absolutely necessary to progression.

Except me and many others in this thread discovered it on their own, using past experiences.

Uh, sure... if you say so... have you discovered that if you kill three specific enemies in the exact correct order (without killing any other enemies in between) you get a special banner and unlock the devs items for use?

... that one had no clues about it in the game at all...

Uh, sure... if you say so... have you discovered that if you kill three specific enemies in the exact correct order (without killing any other enemies in between) you get a special banner and unlock the devs items for use?

Wait, what are you talking about?
Which enemies?

Let me just say this, certain NPC give clues on what to do. For instance,don't you think a tortured soul need purification due to his sin?

I was actually dumb enough to figure it out myself. "What purifies stuffs? Must be purified powder, no way this can go wrong". Turns out it didn't go wrong. Also it was pretty obvious it was an NPC as it dealt almost no damage and its Fighter AI acted very similiarly to a town NPC, that's where I figured out it was most likely an NPC.

Yet again, it's super obscure and it would be great to have a better directive on how to obtain it.

-Flying around randomly after you've gotten wings. Found the floating islands.
-Killing a Voodoo Demon while it's over lava, resorting to the Guide or the Arms Dealer. Found the Wall of Flesh.
-Fishing in the Ocean while trying out your new Truffle Worm bait. Found Duke Fishron.
-"Screams are echoing from the Dungeon."

The Truffle is pretty hard to discover, but not absolutely necessary to progression.

... the Voodoo Demon thing was a BIG surprise to most of us... meaning we were just killing things down there and accidently killed a voodoo demon over lava and then all heck broke loose... even after the wall came and death dragged me through lava I had no idea how I had summoned it... I didn't even have a clue what had happened... took me accidently summoning it a few times to make the connection... luckily, I didn't kill it before learning what was going on... if I had killed it the first time, I would have never known where it came from... :)
[DOUBLEPOST=1437598901,1437598766][/DOUBLEPOST]
Let me just say this, certain NPC give clues on what to do. For instance,don't you think a tortured soul need purification due to his sin?

... so collecting tax is a sin? lol @ the IRS... they have a surprise waiting for them :)

That doesn't exist. Period. Dev items are found in Treasure Bags. I got Red's stuff from the Destroyer bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom