Official TCF 1st Year Anniversary Winners Announcement!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done to all the winners and all the participants. I enjoyed very much looking through all the entries. And Fury's video was my absolute favorite entry of all, very excited to see it win.

Congrats to all the winners and everyone who participated! These are truly incredible entries.

This contest was a fun opportunity to try building something new and creative, it was a great ride!

@Eris Falling ,

Led extends a hand for shaking,

"Congratulations, sir. As much as I hate to admit, as soon as you put your work out, I knew which one of us was going down. I will admit that this piece inspired a great deal of awe within me. Your victory was well-earned."

There will be another day when I have something to present, but for now, I'll be in the shadows of the forum lurking and working.

Until we meet again.

index.php

The TCF 1 Year Anniversary Contest Results!

Good day, one and all! Riding closely on the heels of yesterdays back to back mobile and 3DS releases, we have yet another eagerly anticipated event for you . . . the results for the TCF 1st Year Anniversary Contest! We are aware it took a bit longer than anticipated to review the results; in part, this was due to the timing coinciding heavily with busy events for the development team, and it was also partially due to the surprisingly lengthy task of reviewing some of the categories (namely Writing!). Nonetheless, the results are in!

If you haven't already seen the two hundred amazing entries we had, or maybe if you just need a refresher course, please check them out here in the entry thread!

Before we begin, a brief reminder on how we are handling the winners and the prizes they will be getting:

1. Each category (of which there are five) had one grand prize winner. Each grand prize winner will receive:
  • A $50 Steam Wallet gift code
  • A 1.3 Contest Winner's trophy and title, as well as the 1.3 Contest Participation trophy/title
  • The option to request a creative/user content thread of theirs to be pinned at the top of its section for one month (an art thread, a creative writing thread, etc). This will still be subject to moderator review, and the winners will be contacted about this.
2. Each of the five categories has two additional runner's up. All of the runner ups will receive:
  • A 1.3 Contest Winner's trophy and title, as well as the 1.3 Contest Participation trophy/title
Additionally, all qualifying participants will receive the 1.3 Contest Participation trophy/title. So with that said, let's get onto the results!

kdcROYP.png

Not_a_Kid%2C_nor_a_Squid_%28Placed%29.png

Artwork

2zqxvtl.png

Grand Prize Winner: Szaila!

3FcTV6L.jpg

There are few better ways to describe this entry other than "breathtaking". This drawing is exceptional in every way; fantastic quality, composition, design . . . its just amazing. This epic sized capture of the Lunatic Cultist is awe-inspiring in every way. Szaila, you've truly earned your title this year.

1st Runner Up: Scarecrow
yYxsEx6.png

A gorgeous and particularly creative rendering of the much feared Moon Lord, Scarecrow's entry was inspired by a poster for the classic horror film Phantasm, the same franchise which inspired the Deadly Spheres found in game! The coincidence between the film's title and Moonlord's "Phantasmal" attacks is just too much; this tribute was clearly meant to happen!

2nd Runner Up: Izzabelle
fJeqfha.jpg

Deciding to avoid the ever popular Moon Lord and Lunatic Cultist, Izzabelle's depiction of the Underground Desert really gave life to this new biome and its denizens. Between the unusual angle, vivid coloring, and the sifting sands, Izzabelle really shows how beautiful this dangerous biome can be.

kdcROYP.png

o6e7er.png

Screenshots

2zqxvtl.png

Grand Prize Winner: rulick15!
YVs0gpod8QnUFD4yvoW1ptkRjZ-KmZYD6xaLeTD3_-JrVf_cy14=w1167-h933-no

This beautiful fountain shrine, enclosing the Cultists at worship, was a favorite of ours from the beginning. Despite dozens of other wonderful entries, there were few of us who didn't give this screenshot the highest marks from the very beginning. It pushes the mechanical and aesthetic potential of the game to its limit, resulting in an astoundingly ornate build. Fantastic work!

1st Runner Up: Snarferman
Z7F2LiN.jpg

Snarferman's depiction of an epic space battle . . . well, its got just about everything you need: lasers, spaceships, space-dragons, fire, and a massive Celestial meteor carrying the 4 pillars. This sprawling build is really impressive, and shows an alternative encounter with these invaders . . . while they are still floating through space!

2nd Runner Up: critcodedtuna
LoJb9kh.jpg

While an impressive build in its own right (check out the pattern of the banner colors), this screenshot is really a testament to dedication, collection, and showing off your Terraria loot. What better way to celebrate Terraria and its newest update than to engage in the most difficult collectible venture in the game?

kdcROYP.png

x203d3.png

Writing

2zqxvtl.png

Grand Prize Winner: Mystery!
“Admiral, sir. The fleet is approaching the target.”

“Excellent.” Andrews grunted. “Inform the fleet to begin exiting hyperspace. And get Officer Reynolds in here immediately.” The crewman hurried off through the metallic doors nervously.

The admiral stared at the blinking monitor in front of him. The deep humming of machinery filled the cabin. The monitor contained information on all the ships in his fleet, allowing him to communicate with all of his captains, their vessels, and the high-powered weapons that they brought with them. And in the center of the screen, was a box that contained all the information The Alliance had on It.

The admiral stared at that blank box for what felt like the hundredth time. Underneath, there was an annotation that read: “Target is extremely dangerous. Approach with caution.”

Just as a sliver of doubt entered Andrews’ mind, the doors slid open smoothly and the head officer of the weapons and tech division strode in.

“Sir,” The officer stated with an air of self-importance. “We will be in range of the objective in less than an hour.”

The Admiral nodded firmly, but a thin film of sweat began to appear on his forehead. But why? This thing had wiped out a few relatively uninhabited border planets, yes. But The Alliance had enough firepower to destroy planets. The martians they had sent packing last year knew that all too well.

“Admiral.” said Reynolds, jerking Andrews back to reality. “Weapons are ready, and we are in position. The fleet is awaiting your command.”

The Admiral swallowed, failing to relieve his dry throat. “Very well, tell them—”

He was interrupted a piercing beeping sound. One-tenth of the green dots on the monitor indicating his ships had turned red.

“Sir?” Officer Reynolds asked hesitantly. “What’s going on?”

“It can’t be. This… this isn't possible.” Another group of the green dots flashed red. Andrews pressed down on button activating the communication system. Static. Officer Reynold’s eyes widened.

“Admiral, what’s happening?”

The Admiral was just about to answer the obvious: he didn’t have a :red:ing clue, when the ship gave a sudden lurch and he was knocked off his feet. The sound of screeching metal could be heard in the distance. Red lights flashed, and the piercing sounds of alarms and warnings continued. Andrews willed himself to forget the panic that was pressing in on him, and stumbled towards the main control panel. He hurriedly input the combination of buttons that opened the blast shields of the cockpit and allowed him to look outside the cabin.

Against the pitch-black nothingness that was space, there was chaos. Explosions fired at regular intervals. Enormous hunks of the wreckage floated by, burning. And suddenly it was gone—replaced by darkness. The darkness slowly slid away and the admiral stared into the eye of existence in its purest form. He felt his humanity dissipating. He gave one last, longing look towards the stars. And then emptiness.

The Elder One and the four devotees approached the decrepit castle warily. Shattered vases and burnt tomes littered the ground. A patch of fresh dirt had been upturned near a collapsed wall. It seems that they were not the only ones who had been here recently. Gravediggers and thieves, searching for treasures long-since buried, most likely.

As the group of robed men picked their way through the ruins to the pillared entrance of the keep of the castle, the shaggy packhorse let out a cry of lament.

Poor animal, thought the priest. It had been towing the large, cracked tablet for several miles without rest and the creature was exhausted. Its journey was soon at an end, the Elder sensed, if the loyal creature did not stop and rest. But then again, so was everyone else's if they did not reach the sacred grounds in time.

He placed his hand on the beast’s side and channeled some of his own power into the animal. The horse sniffled and its step hastened. The Elder One shook his head sadly.

As they entered the gate, he led them onward. Finally, he found the spot he was looking for. He gestured for his disciples to clear away the debris and make room for what was about to take place. There were runes engraved in the bricks in this part of the pavilion, runes very similar to the ones that inscribed the edges of the stone tablet that now sat in the middle of the decay.

As he laid down the wax candles, he recalled the day he was chosen to be the new Elder. The day his predecessor lay dying, telling him what he must do when this day came. He began to sweat under the heavy blue robes.

Once the candles were arranged carefully around the tablet, he nodded to his followers. They began the familiar low, rhythmic chant. The high-priest muttered a few words and the candles flared. A faint glow began pulsating from the tablet as it began to ascend and the chanting grew louder. He said the words. They echoed all around him. It was going to work. They would be safe.

And then, the chanting stopped. The Elder One’s concentration faltered and he spun around. Standing in front of him was a man in shimmering armor, holding a sword drenched in blood, a look of hunger in his eyes. As the head toppled from the corpse of the last disciple, the Elder One let out of a cry of anguish.

“No, you mustn't!” he screamed. The yell was muffled by the white mask; now splattered with droplets of red as the blade slit open his throat.

The warrior stood at the Edge of the World, his blade drawn. His armor shimmered in the light of the fading suns. It was getting closer. He could feel it… It was almost here. All these years; fighting his enemies, exploring the unnatural, and building the impossible—it all culminated to this. His purpose. His destiny.

As the light of the suns finally went out, the ground beneath him started to shake violently. The burning inside of him came to life again.

As the warrior saw the horror that now filled the sky and descended upon him; he understood. And for the first time, that warrior felt true exhilaration.

According to Mystery's tale, the Moon Lord can obliterate an entire war fleet in space in mere moments. That certainly makes our encounters fighting him face to face all the more impressive! One of a number of short stories which portrayed the Cultists as potentially well meaning, this one stood out from the rest as particularly well written. The hero as a thrill seeking extremist, leaving chaos in his wake in search of the next biggest challenge? Well, that's certainly one way of looking at it!

1st Runner Up: Ery
Their arrival was still fresh,
They mindlessly beat at the door,
Hungry for my succulent flesh,
I hid till they knocked no more.

These zombies are scary,
Much more powerful than before,
They try to eat poor Ery,
Fear gripping me to the core.

Hidden behind a safe wall,
Swinging at them through a gap,
Something new made me stall,
Zombies with reach, oh crap.

Retreating deeper inside,
Daring not to tempt fate,
For much time I did bide,
Till morn ended my wait.

The troubles did not end,
As rain began to fall,
My belief I did suspend,
For this was not rain at all.

Slimes fell from the sky,
Landing this way and that.
"Oh no, oh crap" I cry,
As the slimes all go splat.

I reached for my best defense,
My trusty stack of platform.
I did the only thing that made sense,
Build a bridge to protect from the swarm.

From beneath the bridge I swung,
Relentlessly slaughtering slime.
What happened next made me bite my tongue,
The king had come to punish my crime.

Quickly equipping my knives,
I fought with the king.
Frantically avoiding his dives
My brain made a ding.

I threw up a line of rope,
hanging just high enough to tease.
It was to be my best hope,
A strategy full of cheese.

A moments relief as the king is slain
An interesting bag lay on the floor.
A small reward to keep me sane.
I drop down to collect my score.

Within the bag is a shiny new toy
A powerful new trinket for me to wear
So that no longer will slimes annoy.
However a new threat begins to stare.

Night has fallen and the air is cold,
I shiver, feeling a powerful presence
A roar is heard, causing fear to take hold
Originating from an Eye most immense.

It looks the same as it usually does,
But I know to expect some new tricks.
I had heard from some of the buzz,
That it had new moves added in the mix.

Warily I fought, watching for signs
It finally snapped and rushed at me
Dashing quickly along straight lines
Leaving very little space to flee.

Almost lost the fight in shame,
But my luck was quite superb.
Panicking and swinging without aim,
A lucky hit sent it to the curb.

Very fun I found it,
The new expert mode.
I continued to commit,
To this new long road.

Of challenges anew,
and much variation.
Many new things to accrue,
Extending my play's duration.

There weren't very many poetry entry's that caught our attention, but Ery's depiction of the rigors of Expert mode stood above the rest. With a solid and engaging rhyme scheme, it still manages to cover a lot of content, and definitely deserves a read!

2nd Runner Up: Kazzymodus
Have you ever seen the sky run red with the blood of the otherworldly?

I have. It’s rather boring, really. Plus, it’s virtually impossible to wash out of your clothes.

I was doing the usual hero stuff, you know, like flying around, placing walls, bleeding, the usual, when I saw this thing. It wasn’t a large thing, but it was a very weird one. It looked a bit like those things they put on top of those large metal towers to make your phone go 'bip'. So I got out my Cell Phone and tried to make it go 'bip', which it wouldn’t. There was a 'bleep', though. Only it wasn’t coming from my phone. It was coming from the thing.

So the green thing (come to mention it, I never mentioned it was green, although it’s rather relevant for this sentence, so yes, it was green) stopped being green and turned red. Then it went away. At first I thought it was because I didn’t pay my phone license fee (which, to be fair, I don’t), but I quickly ditched the connection between this thing and my phone because as soon as it was gone, all these... well, I can’t use the term ‘thing’ for these things as well, so I’ll have to make up another one... I’ll just call them Neville. So yeah, suddenly the sky was full of Nevilles, and from these Nevilles came down... I have to invent another term now, don’t I? I’m not going to do that for every single one of them, so I’ll just call them all Edwin, alright?

So, to recap, from the Nevilles came down all these Edwins, which were trying to kill Eve (that’s me, by the way. Nice to meet you). There were small, grey Edwins, but also large, hulking, three-legged Edwins , and also a bunch of Edwins with little suits, but the encompassing trend seemed to be that they all had an affinity with lasers, and an affinity with firing those lasers in my general direction, which I considered to be an infringement of my personal space, property, and health, so I responded in kind (or equally unkind, if you will).

Now, here I was, having a blast blasting the blasted bastards, when suddenly a huge Neville showed up. It was different from the other Nevilles in that it appeared to be a combat Neville as opposed to a transport Neville, which I deduced from three observations:

1. It was trying to kill me.

2. It was trying really hard.

3. It almost succeeded a few times.

Quickly ascending my list of priorities, I attempted to destroy the Neville, which was rather difficult because the Edwins didn't respect one-on-one combat (which, to be fair again, neither did I), so I had to resort to indirect combat. You see, I once found this staff in the Dungeon that summons an ice dragon called David (that’s not what he’s inherently called, that’s just what I call him). He has the loveable quality of spitting on everything that doesn’t like me, while being invincible himself (although he does tend to melt a bit in the desert). So I hid in my cellar while planting David on top of my roof, where he did a really good job of shooting the Neville’s armaments to bits. After it had lost both turrets and both cannons (after mere hours), I leapt to the opportunity to finish it off, which in hindsight wasn’t such a great idea after all because it still had a fairly powerful laser to its disposal, which managed to singe all the hair on the right side of my face (including my nose hair, so ever since I’ve had the smell of charred keratin in my right nostril). Dodging further strikes from the Neville, I Uzi’d whatever remained of it to the moon and back (as it presumably had come from the moon, or at least somewhere extraterrarial, so simply sending it back would have been rather pointless). In a fashion similar to my braid, it went up in flames, dropping its keys in the process for reasons still unknown to me.

The loss of this Neville seemed to severely demoralise the remaining Edwins, as the other Nevilles left in a hurry, and as I mopped up the remainder of the Edwins, no new ones took their place. Clearing up the mess they left behind, which included limbs, heads, and some artistic banners, I found a strange kind of plating, which I have to admit makes some brilliant furniture. For instance, I made this really cool blueish lamp for my bedside table, though I can’t leave it on for too long because the light makes me somewhat nauseous (and I also have a hunch it’s somehow inhibiting my hair growth, which I desperately need at the moment). I also made this awesome piano, which makes a really cool ‘woo’ sound, like when you put a ceiling fan in the bathtu-

Er, sorry about that, can’t remember how that sentence was going to end. I was writing this when, guess what, I saw another one of those 'bleep'-things. I think it saw me as well, because it turned red again, but I know better than to piss off those Edwins by breaking their stuff, so I just left it alone.

No, I don’t think I’ll be seeing any more Nevilles anytime soon.

Kazzymodus' silly retelling of a Martian Invasion sort of reminds us all about how weird Terraria can be. As serious and intense as it can be at times, Terraria has always been, and always will be, a fun loving, goofy game all throughout. We will never fight Nevilles and Edwins the same again!
kdcROYP.png

e9cgsn.gif

Videos

2zqxvtl.png

Grand Prize Winner: Fury!
The video category was one of the hardest to judge. It has so many amazingly impressive and creative entries, each one taking a completely different path, and this makes it very difficult to rank them in terms of best. Apples and oranges, you know? With that said: Fury's Vengeance is an amazing video and we've decided that it was our selection for winner. Not just for its obvious strengths; fantastic editing, good storytelling and action, great builds, and engaging music . . . all of these are here. But what's most amazing is that this entire video was made purely with Terraria footage, telling an epic tale with the source material. It truly took the game and made something amazing out of it. Well done!

1st Runner Up: Ajidot
When we asked you guys to make videos, we figured you would record footage of gameplay, maybe a tour of a large build, or tell a story like Fury's entry. We were pleasantly surprised at some of outside-of-the-box thinking, like MinecraftxTerraria videos, or building Terraria sprites out of Legos. But I don't think any of us expected Ajidot (a sure shoe-in for the Artwork category) to literally make a video. From scratch. Animating this amount of video content is a tremendous task, and its amazing that this was able to be done in a month. Well, we've now had a preview of how epic a Terraria cartoon could actually be. Truly, truly impressive.

2nd Runner Up: Zoomo
Zoomo's beautiful reimagining of this lead up to the Moon Lord fight is fantastic. It looks and sounds great, and it raises a lot of thoughts about the future of the Terraria franchise. The limited action and build up, along with the hair-raising cliff hanger only leave us screaming for more. So uhh, when can we play the full game?

kdcROYP.png

cWIE9k7.gif

Music

2zqxvtl.png

Grand Prize Winner: Eris Falling!
Eris Falling's Underworld remix is dark, intimidating and foreboding; everything that the Underworld should be. It captures and expands upon the original mix fantastically, and unless I'm mistaken, even toys with some Phantom of the Opera motifs. And nothing gave me goosebumps more than-
THE WALL OF FLESH HAS AWOKEN!

1st Runner Up: "Led"
"Led"'s Goblin Invasion remix is tons of fun to listen to. The guitar and drums really give some "oomph" to this already interesting track. It was definitely enjoyed by the judges, and deserves its place as 1st Runner Up.

2nd Runner Up: Lordcakespy
https://soundcloud.com/lordcakespy/moon-lord-remix
An exciting electonic remix of the Moon Lord theme, this rendition took the theme into a lot of different directions, and was a favorite of many of the judges. It definitely warrants a spot in the top three remixes!

kdcROYP.png

Judging this contest was very difficult! There were over 200 entries, and distilling all of the amazing entries down into 5 winners and 10 runner ups was a grueling process; after all, no one wants to have to choose one spectacular entry at the expense of another spectacular entry. But we really went out of our way to give it as fair a run as we could; a complex, multi-element scoring process was used by 7 initial judges to give each entry its own final score. This was also phenomenally time consuming, but well worth it!

We'd like to thank every one of the people who entered this contest! Regardless of the category, each of these mediums showed us new perspectives, interpretations, and potentials for the lore and and content of Terraria. A number of the writing entries especially showed entirely different ways of viewing the game; the hero as a villain, the Cultist as a hero, the Clothier as a fallen friend . . . so many possibilities! On behalf of all of us; well done!

We'd like to hear any feedback you guys have for the contest, or recommendations for future contests! We already learned a lot from it, and have thought about ways to improve the efficiency of our judging process for next time. We may discuss more ideas in a while, but for now, let's celebrate our winners!​
Only if there was an mobile thing of this.

Congrats to all participants and especially the winners! You guys made the right choice for each of those entries. I loved reading/viewing/watching them all.

Whilst I didn't win, congrats to the winner/runner-ups for writing. You guys (gals?) are amazing! :happy:

Until the next update everyone! Where my writing skills will conquer the world!

(Also, since when is @Leinfors an egg?)

Congrats to all participants and especially the winners! You guys made the right choice for each of those entries. I loved reading/viewing/watching them all.

Whilst I didn't win, congrats to the winner/runner-ups for writing. You guys (gals?) are amazing! :happy:

Until the next update everyone! Where my writing skills will conquer the world!

(Also, since when is @Leinfors an egg?)
Since when is he NOT an egg?

Great work everyone! The suspense of waiting for the results was surmounting any other wait I have ever done! Congratulations to all the winners! Your guys' entries were spectacular. I look forward to participating in another contest on TCF. :dryadhappy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom