Important TCF Continues to Evolve: New Year's Updates

Loki

Consigliere
Staff member
Re-Logic
Administrator
VRjtWVK.png

Good evening Terrarians!

We are entering a new and exciting year for Terraria and ReLogic! We have just passed the three month anniversary for TCF, and – as we said back in October – we cannot be more thrilled with how things have gone thus far. We hope that everyone is still enjoying all that TCF has to offer as well as the multitude of happenings in regards to Terraria. From mobile/console updates to toys/shirts to vague teasers on new projects to the ongoing mysteries of 1.3, it is an exciting time in the Terraria universe!

As you probably noticed, we took some time over the past few days for maintenance and upgrades to TCF. This is all part of our standard planning and process for keeping the community site current and evolving in a way that meets the needs of each of you. Below you will find a list of some new features and tweaks that we hope will enhance your time here. We cannot get to all of the community’s expressed desires quite yet – typically because either the Add-On doesn’t exist and/or we just don’t have the bandwidth in the team to made coding fixes at this point (since we share Skiphs with the development of 1.3) – but rest assured that we do keep a running list that guides our development alongside our own ideas.

Keep that feedback coming – and a sincere thank you to each and every Terrarian out there for your support. You guys keep us energized and excited to go above and beyond to enhance the Terraria experience, and we look forward to the weeks and months to come.

Cheers and Happy Holidays!
~The Re-Logic Team

kdcROYP.png

Without further ado, here is the changelog for today:

Updates to existing Xenforo core software and several of our plugins
This is mostly a large handful of bugfixes and behind-the-scenes technical enhancements that will subtlely make your time here more pleasant. :)

We have also added a few new "toys" to our spam and bot prevention toolkit.

divider.png

Alerts on Browser Tabs
TCF members will now see a count of their total alerts (Public & PM) as a number at the top of their browser tab. This works for mobile as well as desktop browsing. This will help you stay in touch with TCF while you multitask in other browser tabs.

Tabbed Alerts.PNG

divider.png

New Start Conversation (PM) Button
In order to start a conversation/PM with another user in the past, members had to either click on another member's portrait or do so in their own inbox area. This worked (and still does), but was a but cumbersome. With our latest update, you will notice a new "Start Conversation" button located in the member information section of every post - just beneath the other member's title banners.

You can simply click this button to instantly start up a conversation/PM with the user in question! We hope this subtle change will help streamline your TCF experience.

image.jpg

divider.png

Profile Page Enhancements
We have added a couple of profile page enhancements. One is a minor aesthetic change and the other a major change in what is possible on profile pages.

First up, we have added banner support for profile pages. This is a small improvement over the old system, where titles and banners were displayed as text only. This means that your awesome title banner will now be displayed on your profile page and popup profile card rather than just the text of your title! NOTE: THIS IS STILL IN TESTING AND DEVELOPMENT AND MISSED THE DEADLINE - STAY TUNED ON THIS.

In addition, TCF members now have the ability to edit their own profile comments and not just their own profile posts! This is something oft-requested, so we hope it is to your liking. :)

Our larger change is that BBCode is now activated and functioning on profile pages! That means that all of the formatting options and more are now available to you for your profile posts. That includes standard formatting as well as the linking to images and videos (whereas before you could only post the url).

BBCode Off.PNG

Profile BBCode.PNG

This will still require a working knowledge of BBCode tags and how they work. Some items - such as YouTube videos - should auto-convert to videos vs links. For those that ran into issues with the system truncating their YT videos this week during testing, this is why. Sorry about that. :)

For anyone still wishing to profile post a video as a link, it's still possible - just use an embedded link in some text. Open the spoiler below for details:
Here's how you can post links to videos:

[url=LINK TO YOUR VIDEO]TEXT THAT WILL BE LINKED[/url]

Here is an example:
Terraria 1.2 Trailer

Images can appear as status messages, but will not appear in the Recent Posts feed - it works well, but the potential for clutter is there. Videos may only appear as videos on your profile itself. I tried to make this work like images for status popups and the news feed, but trust me when I say that it looked terrible. ;) We reserve the right to revisit any of this at any time.

We will also be monitoring the use of this feature for bugs and any abuse. As with anything else, abuse of this feature can and will result in the removal of a member's ability post on profiles. Additional account action is possible for extreme or repeat abuse or harassment of others. We will have a VERY low tolerance for this, so please consider this an advance verbal warning to everyone (though staff will still reach out before taking action to explain things and ask for your cooperation first). -_-

If you have any video links that would violate forum rules on your profile, now would be a good time to remove those. :)

divider.png

Leaderboard Removal Options

As we alluded to in the "likebomb" banning post, we now have the ability to remove both the "most likes" and the "most posts" leaderboards. We have currently left this disabled, as we would like to have a robust community discussion prior to taking action in regards to their removal.

divider.png

Table BBCode
We have added the capability to use Tabular formatting in bbcode. This can assist in the posting of certain types of information. Though we do not expect everyone will use this, we do think those that do will find it quite useful. Details and an example of what this does are below.

The table below is a simple example of what this tool can do. Please note:
  • Tables need to be coded by hand and format by cell (so if you want to center-align a row, you must align each cell one at a time).
  • Experience with BBCode is HIGHLY recommended when using this. The Staff can help some, but we cannot debug everyone's tables. :)
  • All BBCode functions (save table-within-a-table) should work.
  • Table Columns separate with pipes | rows with a press of the Enter key.
  • The first row just below your table tag will always serve as your column header text.
  • Tables are sortable, to see what I mean, click the top row of any column in the example table below.
  • We will be working to expand on the capabilities of this feature over time.

IRON TOOLS |Type|Crafting|Tool Power|Damage |Use Time|Knockback|Velocity|Sprite
Iron Axe |
Axe​
|
Iron_Anvil.png
:
Iron_Bar.png
x9,
Wood.png
x3​
|
45%​
|
5​
|
26 (Average)​
|
4.5 (Average)​
|
N/A​
|
Iron_Axe.png
Iron Hammer |
Hammer​
|
Iron_Anvil.png
:
Iron_Bar.png
x10,
Wood.png
x3​
|
40%​
|
7​
|
29 (Average)​
|
5.5 (Strong)​
|
N/A​
|
Iron_Hammer.png
Iron Pickaxe |
Pickaxe​
|
Iron_Anvil.png
:
Iron_Bar.png
x12,
Wood.png
x3​
|
40%​
|
5​
|
19 (Very Fast)​
|
2 (Very Weak)​
|
N/A​
|
Iron_Pickaxe.png
Iron Shortsword |
Shortsword​
|
Iron_Anvil.png
:
Iron_Bar.png
x7​
|
N/A​
|
8​
|
11 (Very Fast)​
|
4 (Average)​
|
N/A​
|
Iron_Shortsword.png
Iron Broadsword |
Broadsword​
|
Iron_Anvil.png
:
Iron_Bar.png
x8​
|
N/A​
|
12​
|
20 (Fast)​
|
5 (Strong)​
|
N/A​
|
Iron_Broadsword.png
Iron Bow |
Bow​
|
Iron_Anvil.png
:
Iron_Bar.png
x7​
|
N/A​
|
8​
|
27 (Average)​
|
Varies (Based on Arrow)​
|
6.6​
|
Iron_Bow.png
(Clicking item names will take you to the Terraria Wiki page for that item)

Here is another example of Table utility from our very own @Charmander27 's The Island Roleplay!

Character Name|Nicknames|Race|Gender|Age
Blane Smith |N/A|Human| Male |-
Kyte Aperos |N/A|Human| Male |-
Marcus Eralice |N/A|Human| Male |-
Michael Lortnoc |The Hope|Human| Male |-
Mick |Shirtpants|Human| Male |-
Nicolaus |"The guy who owns the outpost"|Human| Male |-
Regnil Slade |N/A|Human| Male |-
Tellarus Cagath (Professor)|N/A|Human| Male |-
Victoreem |N/A|Human| Male |-
Zack |N/A|Human| Male |-
Lilliana Yrimir |N/A|Elf| Female |-
Luna |Lady Luna|Elf| Female |-
Sylar Del Rae Ignacio |N/A|Elf| Male |-
Uhlsrar Zautyl |The Midget|Drow| Male |-
Jack |N/A|Fairy| Male |-
Maurna Alitus |N/A|Fairy| Female |-
Alawaniz |N/A|Giant| Male |-
Aurixvrak Auneluith |N/A|Ilcar (Winged)| Male |-
Azaka Shango |N/A|Ilcar (Wingless)| Male |-
Sallextrexa Viranduun |Sally|Ilcar (Wingless)| Female |-
Epsilon |Ellira's Host|Lamia| Male |-
Lillith |N/A|Raven| Female |-
Dravideyas |The Magickal Canine|Werewolf| Male |-
Lieuwe Drasnkr |N/A|Werewolf| Female |-

kdcROYP.png

That's it for this go-around! Keep those suggestions and ideas coming, and we will take them into consideration along with a few ideas of our own. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
This was posted on the 11th of December, but the front page says 5th of January?

Loki, stop messing with the space time continuum, I don't want to end up as a very safe penguin (obscure references for the win).

Also, I can now make a proper DPS table for my suggestion (shameless plug) instead of screenshotting a Word document. Nice one. And I see The Island is getting some much needed publicity.

Please don't ban for necro, oh great Time Lord Loki.

EDIT: Scratch that, some very timey wimey stuff going on here...

This was posted on the 11th of December, but the front page says 5th of January?

Loki, stop messing with the space time continuum, I don't want to end up as a very safe penguin (obscure references for the win).

Also, I can now make a proper DPS table for my suggestion (shameless plug) instead of screenshotting a Word document. Nice one. And I see The Island is getting some much needed publicity.

Please don't ban for necro, oh great Time Lord Loki.

I started drafting the post on 12/11....with vacations, testing, etc. it took that much to get it right. Sorry for the delay and the mess with code over the past few days. Mea Culpa.

Also, you guys should check out @Cenx 's profile....

I started drafting the post on 12/11....with vacations, testing, etc. it took that much to get it right. Sorry for the delay and the mess with code over the past few days. Mea Culpa.

Also, you guys should check out @Cenx 's profile....

Why do you always apologise when you have no reason to? Makes me feel like I'm accusing you. :(

Anyone want another forum goodie? You can now edit your profile comments. :cool:

NO MORE OCD-DRIVEN DELETING AND REPOSTING MY COMMENTS WHEN I SEE A SPELLING MISTAKE AND GIVING EVERYONE 5 ALERTS PER POST!

These are some seriously sweet additions. I especially love the page title alert addition(). Though I'd like an option to add a Terraria-esque sound to the alert. The sound doesn't need to be enabled by default, but I like to believe that if facebook gets away with it, so can you.

While very very obvious, it's probably better said than unsaid that with a forum dedicated to playing Terraria, you wouldn't want to use a common in-game sound for this task since there's a fair chance people will play the game when the alert sound plays.:p

Nice additions! I noticed a few myself, but not all!
With regards to the likes leader board, once it was clearly banned, most of the problems seemed to have stopped, so hopefully they will be able to stay up! (Although you should remove the 'most points' tab, since no-one has any points :p)

Pro tip on alert spams: Don't check the thread anymore. It won't give you more alerts on it if you let it go.

*Punches someone who was about to bring up the Frozen song.*

Back
Top Bottom