Official TCF Forum Bug List/Reporting [V2]

Hey, would it be possible to make the Calamity Adventure IC Thread run better?

Edit: Apparently the CA thread might take longer to load than The Last Post Wins, and I have no idea why. Just sharing that in case it helps at all.
Also, I'm using Windows 10 with Firefox.

Last edited:
I've noticed that the page navigator only appears on the bottom of the page/posts. And I thought it used to be on both top and bottom of the posts.

So if I want to see the first or last post, I've to scroll all the way to the bottom first. (As far I know on mobile). Is it possible to add them back on the top too?

Will be implemented shortly. Along with additional bug fixes and security updates.

for some reason when i try to view the user guide it says "page not found"

This is not behavior I have noticed. What are your steps to reproduce this?

Hey, would it be possible to make the Calamity Adventure IC Thread run better?

Edit: Apparently the CA thread might take longer to load than The Last Post Wins, and I have no idea why. Just sharing that in case it helps at all.
Also, I'm using Windows 10 with Firefox.

Both threads load near instantaneous for me. Both on desktop and mobile variants, is this behavior something you notice right now, or just on Saturday?

The community user guide wont work for me. I went to the table of contents and clicked on a link, and it just says "oops, we ran into some problems." It does this with every link I click, and I've been trying to get it to work for a while. (Resetting my computer, refreshing the page, waiting for awhile; all of these things didn't fix it either.) I haven't actually read it due to this issue. It would be nice if you could look into this issue and maybe help me resolve it.
2020-03-20.png

Oops, I'll try get that fixed ASAP. The links point to old version which were deleted/archived.

The other User Guide threads should be the correct ones.

eta: We think those links are updated properly now, let us know if any still aren't working. (thanks for the help, @Leinfors!)

Last edited:
Okay, yeah, I'm back again to bring up the Tables thing, even though I'm pretty sure it's been noticed by now.
So, last time, I was told that, to get Tables to align to the Center or Right, I have to surround them with the proper BBCode. There are two issues with this workaround that I can no longer shrug off:
  1. You have to surround everything inside the Spoiler, not just the Table, or else one Spoiler splits into two differently-aligned Spoilers when it gets to the Table, which can be a problem if you don't want the non-Table text in the Spoiler centered. If you don't have anything else in the Spoiler besides the Table, then it's fine, except for one thing.
  2. The Center BBCode you have to surround the Table with ALSO centers everything inside of it, which, again, is a problem if all you want is for the Table itself to be centered so I don't just suddenly have a Spoiler off to the left for some reason. It looks awful when it's the only left-aligned thing.

Okay, yeah, I'm back again to bring up the Tables thing, even though I'm pretty sure it's been noticed by now.
So, last time, I was told that, to get Tables to align to the Center or Right, I have to surround them with the proper BBCode. There are two issues with this workaround that I can no longer shrug off:
You have to surround everything inside the Spoiler, not just the Table, or else one Spoiler splits into two differently-aligned Spoilers when it gets to the Table, which can be a problem if you don't want the non-Table text in the Spoiler centered. If you don't have anything else in the Spoiler besides the Table, then it's fine, except for one thing.
The Center BBCode you have to surround the Table with ALSO centers everything inside of it, which, again, is a problem if all you want is for the Table itself to be centered so I don't just suddenly have a Spoiler off to the left for some reason. It looks awful when it's the only left-aligned thing.
XenForo explains that sometimes the BBCode as written by a poster (either by RTE or manually by BBCode Mode) can produce invalid html. Invalid html on a page can, at best, cause wonky results, and at worst, break the entire output of the page. The system tries to fix it resulting in html code that is valid, but produces undesired results. So, if you’re seeing undesired results (wonky stuff like two spoilers instead of one) it’s normally because the input created invalid html for the page, and the forum software did what it needed to make the html valid, which may have left the BBCode with weird results.

Are you doing everything in the Rich Text Editor (font, bold, alignment buttons are available) or in BBCode Mode (only the gear icon is active) or both? A lot of times with complex formatting, especially involving spoilers, using the RTE or using both will get wonky results. Staying purely in BBCode Mode can be frustratingly slow and tedious to make sure everything is individually and correctly wrapped in whatever style and alignment you want, but can normally get the results you’re looking for.

For instance, I can have a spoiler with all different types of alignment like this...

Some stuff before the table
this is left aligned​

left align​
center​
Right​

this is after and to the right​

Code:
[CENTER]
[SPOILER="Should be centered"]
[LEFT]this is left aligned[/LEFT]

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][LEFT]left align[/LEFT][/TD]
[TD][CENTER]center[/CENTER][/TD]
[TD][RIGHT]Right[/RIGHT][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[RIGHT]this is after and to the right[/RIGHT]

[/SPOILER]
[/CENTER]

If you want to send me what you’re working on and details of how it should be in a private message, I can see if I’m able to fix it.

this is left aligned

left align​
center​
Right​

this is after and to the right​
Okay, but now look what's happened now that I've quoted your post. It just kinda broke; split up into two Spoilers.
What you've provided works, but I have to retype all of it every time I edit the post or switch from BBCode Editor to Rich Text Editor, because it just breaks for some reason. Pretty much every thread that I've had this problem with has more several Tables in it, so I'd have to go through the hassle of inputting the code every time I wanted to make so much as a minor edit just to fix a few typos or something.
I suppose I'm just looking for a way to align Tables normally and have it be permanent, just how it works with pretty much everything else. Permanency is the main key, here, I suppose.

A big problem, for me, is that I tend to work on some pretty big stuff. If you've seen some of my larger suggestions, those things don't get done in a day. The Save Draft function, as I've found out the hard way multiple times, only saves stuff for 24 hours (I had to have mods explain that to me), so I've been switching to BBCode mode so I can copy all of it into a Text document in the case that TCF decides to toss it all out, so even WHILE I'm working on a thread, I'll have to deal with this issue for the sake of not losing all the work I've done.

Last edited:
Okay, but now look what's happened now that I've quoted your post. It just kinda broke; split up into two Spoilers.
What you've provided works, but I have to retype all of it every time I edit the post or switch from BBCode Editor to Rich Text Editor, because it just breaks for some reason. Pretty much every thread that I've had this problem with has more several Tables in it, so I'd have to go through the hassle of inputting the code every time I wanted to make so much as a minor edit just to fix a few typos or something.
I suppose I'm just looking for a way to align Tables normally and have it be permanent, just how it works with pretty much everything else. Permanency is the main key, here, I suppose.

A big problem, for me, is that I tend to work on some pretty big stuff. If you've seen some of my larger suggestions, those things don't get done in a day. The Save Draft function, as I've found out the hard way multiple times, only saves stuff for 24 hours (I had to have mods explain that to me), so I've been switching to BBCode mode so I can copy all of it into a Text document in the case that TCF decides to toss it all out, so even WHILE I'm working on a thread, I'll have to deal with this issue for the sake of not losing all the work I've done.
Yeah, I understand the frustration, I would think it should stay how you have it and be permanent even if you switch from RTE to BBCode editing, however it’s not something in our settings that can be fixed, and what I’ve seen from the forum software developers on this indicates that they say it’s working as designed (in order to fix the invalid html).

What we’ve found (forum staff and when huge threads for Re-Logic are needed) is that cleaning it all up in manual mode is needed.

As a person who works very often in Xenforo environments and also has a tendency to make utterly tremendous and heavily detailed posts, I've found that working in a Google Docs and bookmarking that Google Doc for quick access saves me a world of trouble. If I had a nickel for every time I lost something in a Xenforo draft, ... ... well, I'd have a bag of nickels.

I could walk into a Starbucks with that bag of nickels and they'd point and laugh at me. Not the people that work there, but someone.

Another big tip for working with a ton of BB codes - Get into the habit of immediately closing a tag when you open one. Put a return carriage (carriage return?) in between each tag if you need work-space, but just remember that you already closed it. Making sure I've closed a tag before I start rambling has also helped me a ton.

Reactions: Bry
Yeah, I understand the frustration, I would think it should stay how you have it and be permanent even if you switch from RTE to BBCode editing, however it’s not something in our settings that can be fixed, and what I’ve seen from the forum software developers on this indicates that they say it’s working as designed (in order to fix the invalid html).

What we’ve found (forum staff and when huge threads for Re-Logic are needed) is that cleaning it all up in manual mode is needed.
Aw, that... really blows. Thank you for the info, though, and for taking the time to respond to me.
As a person who works very often in Xenforo environments and also has a tendency to make utterly tremendous and heavily detailed posts, I've found that working in a Google Docs and bookmarking that Google Doc for quick access saves me a world of trouble. If I had a nickel for every time I lost something in a Xenforo draft, ... ... well, I'd have a bag of nickels.

I could walk into a Starbucks with that bag of nickels and they'd point and laugh at me. Not the people that work there, but someone.

Another big tip for working with a ton of BB codes - Get into the habit of immediately closing a tag when you open one. Put a return carriage (carriage return?) in between each tag if you need work-space, but just remember that you already closed it. Making sure I've closed a tag before I start rambling has also helped me a ton.
...And thank you for your tips. I‘ll make sure to keep those in mind!

Yep! Between you and me, ... and everyone else reading, I guess, I always prefer working in raw BB Code mode. It means I always know EXACTLY what it is that I'll get when I've finished working on a post.

... or at least what my intentions were.

It's why before I submit a post I've made, I do a quick {Ctrl-A] -> {Ctrl-C} to copy the entire post to my clipboard. I usually get some kind of weird error when I'm done because I missed something important.

The reason why I copy it all is because after a post is submitted, it does its best to fill in any oddities regarding inconsistent BB tags. That sort of extrapolation is really inaccurate. I've found no fewer than eight [/size] closing tags all next to each other at the end of my signature quotes spoiler box after editing my signature, and I definitely did not add that many size tags in my signature. It's so wonky. So if you do a {Ctrl-V} to paste your raw BB code back in, you can go back and edit your intended code without having to use the "Edit" button to find a horrific mutated mess of code in there instead of what you thought you had actually written.

{Ctrl}-{A} -> {Ctrl}-{C} is a vastly underrated procedure to do just before saving anything. Long story short, forums are weird, and should be respected like fire. They can be really dangerous and unpredictable, but when we learn to control them and shape them for our purposes, they can be majestic and useful.

I can't to edit a thread (on mobile).
I just get this:
View attachment 295138
Hi there @dirtlord, the ability to edit a thread (the title) is only available for a short time after its creation.

If you’d like to truly edit the thread: you can report the first post and request the title be changed (or a poll removed, or a prefix changed, or it be moved to another section). A forum staff member will change it for you.

Or, if what you’re trying to do is to actually edit the contents of your post, click the Edit button underneath your post (edit the post, not edit the thread).

the "Spoiler" tool is broken in my forum (double spoiler appears when I post a photo)

the "Spoiler" tool is broken in my forum (double spoiler appears when I post a photo)

Can you link to a post that does it?
What happens if you type the spoiler tags manually? I.e:

[spoiler][img] (Image URL goes here) [/img][/spoiler]

I do know what you mean about spoiler boxes being weird and glitchy though. On another Xenforo forum, I have a gigantic compilation of signature quotes in a spoiler box, and sometimes, when in the vicinity of other BB tags (Which wouldn't necessarily be visible in "What you see is what you get" editing mode, rather than raw BB code mode.) it would sometimes create a second spoiler box for no reason with only a few things in it.

You can combat that by going into Raw BB Code editing mode. That way you have precise control over what opening and closing BB tag is. It's not at all complex, really. For every open tag that exists, a closing tag must exist. Closing tags are identical to opening tags except they have a / before it, just as I illustrated in the [/img][/spoiler] above. Those are both closing tags.

Here's how you enter raw BB code mode on a Xenforo forum.
okSJgX0.png

Yep, I've had that before. It's not so much a glitch or bug, as it is the Xenforo text processor (For lack of a better word.) trying to handle seeing a mismatched amount of opening and closing pairs of BB tags.

Basically somewhere in the post there is an unpaired BB tag. It must be found and either paired or removed.

It's also sadly true that each time we switch between Raw BB Code mode and the WYSIWYG mode (What you see is what you get) it tries to compensate for missing tags as well, and that can break things.

Best thing to do is to go through the entire post and separate paragraphs so that every paragraph has an even and obvious amount of opening and closing tags. It'll take a while but it'll be worth it.

Another thing to do is to write up your post with raw BB Code somewhere else, like Google Docs or a notepad file, and paste it into the browser here, and do "Preview." If you like what you see, submit the post. If it bugs out, edit it in the notepad file.

Back
Top Bottom