TCF needs some originality in avatars

A few months ago I made a thread about how I thought that a person's posts shouldn't count in the "Off topic" section or the general "Non-Terraria topics" section to prevent people from post farming, and for some reason I only got hate for it. But you know why? Because it's a pet peeve of mine. From your standpoint, you could just be baffled at how people don't agree with you, like I was in my thread, but really it only bothers you. The point is, before you make a thread, you kinda have to think about if a pet peeve of yours is really worth bringing up, because the only kind of replies you could get are hate responses.

Anyway, my spiel is over.

It's understandable that people who are into the same thing would use the same images. Some people may not have the skill, time, inspiration, or whatever to make their own version so they use one that is already there. I didn't make mine either, although it's been a long time since I've run into a PSO fan somewhere other than PSO-World.

I understand completely... there's this one guy who insists on typing in yellow or orange, I can't remember. And because of him, I had to change my forum theme. I just can't look at the snow theme. ~:cry:
You talking about me? I wouldn't be surprised if you were. It's an old habit, I've been using orange on forums for as long as I can remember. It feels so normal to me. :)

It's understandable that people who are into the same thing would use the same images. Some people may not have the skill, time, inspiration, or whatever to make their own version so they use one that is already there. I didn't make mine either, although it's been a long time since I've run into a PSO fan somewhere other than PSO-World.
Yep, many people either don't have the time or the skills not to. Many people also don't have the dedication or motivation to do so as well so I understand why many of the avatars on here aren't original

whatever the hell your avatar is.
Pretty sure it's the sword from Xenoblade Chronicles or something. From the game cover too.

Let's face it, people use their avatars to either express themselves, or because they like it(trending avatars), or the final card, because it's convenient(I'm talking about the three default avatars). The world might have a lot of issues, but people using similar avatars on the forums is not one that needs addressing.

I don't have this problem since my avatar is all my own, but I don't see as many of these copycat avatars as you guys see?

It personally drives me nuts. I don't go around asking people to change though. Didn't stop a post of mine on my own profile from offending some to the point it was dragged through several places and required mod intervention though.

You don't have to like fads or support them, but by all means, RESPECT THE DECISION of those who choose to either partake in them or to avoid them.

I'm someone that hates being mainstream, so it's only natural that I am keen on originality. Nothing really annoys me about fads though, but I never plan on being part of a group that does them (unless I unintentionally start a trend, that is).

(I visually identify)
Same here. Did we have an influx of new users? Nope everyone keeps changing their avatar. I don't mind ofcourse, it's their forum-given right.
But it makes it uneasy for me to adapt. Probably an autism thing. :p
I understand completely... there's this one guy who insists on typing in yellow or orange, I can't remember. And because of him, I had to change my forum theme. I just can't look at the snow theme. ~:cry:
Do like I do. Just don't read their posts. :D

People use profile pictures to express interests, and sometimes people share those interests. That DJ sprite is sick, so it became a bit of a mini-meme of sorts. Also, so what 6 or so people have the same avatar? It seems to me like most of the people here have extremely varied avatars, so I really don't see what your point is.

I don't like sword icons, for example, but I'm not going to tell you to be "more original". Some people do like them, and that's fine.

I find it fun to take the new funny/cool thing and put my own spin on it. And also see others' takes on it. They may be similar but they're not all the same. We're not all using the same exact avatars.

Also it's not really "not having the skills for an avatar"... I mean, don't most people here use avatars not created by themselves? Trend avatars, however, do take some amount of effort, even if very little. Unless someone uses the default trend avatar, but I haven't seen that yet.

Same here. Did we have an influx of new users? Nope everyone keeps changing their avatar. I don't mind ofcourse, it's their forum-given right.
But it makes it uneasy for me to adapt. Probably an autism thing. :p

Do like I do. Just don't read their posts. :D

It's like driving at night. You don't want to stare into other people's headlights, but (at least I) can't help it.

I understand your reasoning, as I personally don't like to use images as avatars unless I have edited them in some way, but then again, hey, if they were acknowledged enough to become a trend, they must be pretty good...

And the trendsetter has to be very original too.

The only thing I care about is that I can identify people from their avatar, considering I'm bad with names. Unoriginality is better than frequently changing IMO.

Back
Top Bottom