Tedit Creation: Tree of life

My anatomy and perspective skill is not really good. I am not a professional artist, I just draw on Tedit as a hobby. Maybe her hip/shoulder ratio is off? Too broad shoulders with too small hip? I can try moving her arms back a bit closer to her body to make it seems smaller. Her shoulders are completely concealed after all.

The way I draw things is just...directly draw them without sketching a base, then erase what doesn't look "right", repeat till it looks "right". Not a terribly efficient way to draw, and very prone to error.

And yes, flat cut is not natural at all. i am thinking of a way to blend that with the tree, but provide player passage underneath so they can move around freely.

Edit:
Got back to where I was before losing all data. Kinda:
Untitled.png

You might noticed the tree shape has changed. I haven't measure yet, but I think this tree is a little bit wider and a little bit shorter than the version before I lost my data. And, although I am not sure if people noticed it, but her left side has slightly more leaves than the right side... ah well, nothing is exactly symmetrical in nature. Going to have to make each side of the tree looks unique now instead of the uniform branch structure. The base will stay the same, but will have different details like smaller branches and vines. Then after that will be the roots. Then player pathing. After pathing will be lighting design. And after lighting...well, I can release the base version of the tree for people to build their own stuff under the protection of Terra.

Last edited:
Small update:
Untitled.png

Roots are well on their way to completion. I am just having a had time figuring out where would be the best ground level so that I can actually have some roots break over the earth and form some safe pockets for farms. You might notice that this image is really tiny compare to previous ones. This is because the tree is waay too high now and I have to zoomed out a bit for full capture. From the lowest tip of the roots to the highest tip of the foliage, the tree is about 380 blocks, and this is just eyeing it with max size brushes. The width of the tree is about 300 blocks. Going to have a hard time finding a place to fit this thing.

The orb thing you see the roots warping around is similar to the dryad's cave in the first version. It is just a place where the dryad can hang around and doing her buff thing. Will have a small pool here now, thanks to expanded space.

Oh and if you want to gauge how much space the tree will take in your world right now before I post a schematic file, you can use the image I posted and import it to Tedit in place of a schematic file. I just tried it myself and turn out it actually works.

Holy :red: this would make a killer tattoo
Hey, if you do get a tattoo using my design, please post a picture of it. :dryadtongue:

As for the tree, it got butchered:
Untitled.png

Designing player's path is a difficult job, and I haven't done yet- this is just a basic plan. By the look of this, it is likely going down from the spawn point in front of Terra will be a one way trip for new players, since there are no easy way for them to get back up the paths on the side branches, though I can just spam more vine ropes if needed. Then again, do people go back there that often? Going to have a closer look at this before play test.

The green line you see is the recommended ground level, for people planting the tree in their world, though people can plant it higher or lower or however they like. I just use it to have a reference point for the roots. The green patches on the trees are for vines to grow later on. If the player like, they can extend a vine rope from those places to have hanging houses and it would still look natural. Sorta.

Just gotta finish pathing for players, then I can work on lighting (which takes a bit more time since it has to be done in-game (at least the checking part), and mods like buildaria is not working anymore >.>).

Last edited:
Hey, if you do get a tattoo using my design, please post a picture of it. :dryadtongue:

As for the tree, it got butchered:
View attachment 70106

Designing player's path is a difficult job, and I haven't done yet- this is just a basic plan. By the look of this, it is likely going down from the spawn point in front of Terra will be a one way trip for new players, since there are no easy way for them to get back up the paths on the side branches, though I can just spam more vine ropes if needed. Then again, do people go back there that often? Going to have a closer look at this before play test.

The green line you see is the recommended ground level, for people planting the tree in their world, though people can plant it higher or lower or however they like. I just use it to have a reference point for the roots. The green patches on the trees are for vines to grow later on. If the player like, they can extend a vine rope from those places to have hanging houses and it would still look natural. Sorta.

Just gotta finish pathing for players, then I can work on lighting (which takes a bit more time since it has to be done in-game (at least the checking part), and mods like buildaria is not working anymore >.>).
This looks incredible so far. When TerraCustom updates I'm definitely going to putting this thing into my hub world :)

First in game look:
Capture 2015-08-10 21_20_15.png

Will probably have to get more light branches around her face to make it less dark. Hah, if only there is a type of glowing paint, or a nature-looking glowing block (glowing leaf?) it would make things looks much nicer. She looks quite nice on the map though.

Also, funny mushroom growing out of nowhere...I don't remember putting a mushroom there.

Current full view in Tedit:
Untitled.png

Last edited:
this is progressing in a very good fashion, really like all of this, as for light, try placing gemspark walls behind some blocks, like her eyes, mouth, or the hair leave blocks, emerald gemspark walls might give it a pretty cool effect i think

this is progressing in a very good fashion, really like all of this, as for light, try placing gemspark walls behind some blocks, like her eyes, mouth, or the hair leave blocks, emerald gemspark walls might give it a pretty cool effect i think
Interesting idea, with interesting result:
Capture 2015-08-11 00_48_41.png

It makes it looking like she has her eyes half opened. Looks a bit menacing and scary for some reasons...like she is staring down on me with her glowing eyes behind her leafy eyelids. Can't apply the wall to a larger area due to wall "bleeding" and not completely hidden behind blocks, so it looks weird having flat, sharp shapes along with the more organic textures around it. I don't think I will use it for her, but I will keep this trick in mind when making other stuff. Thanks for the idea!

So I just learned what the snapshot function does (11.5mb screen shot...):
qWDvlas.jpg

Lighting looks good enough, and I don't think I can work more lights to shine on Terra's face without starting to have things growing on her face.

Please excuse the trees on the ground that get snipped by the roots, I just plopped this in a new world to see how it looks without cleaning up. I recommend using TEdit to modify the ground nearby the tree and under it to your liking before playing.

Doing some final tweaks right now, I can post a cleaner shot with the roots visible later in my TEdit world.

Also, quick question: Do you need light in the cave under the tree? I thought I should just leave it dark with some holes in the wall for more natural lighting. Players can fill that in later and have their own lighting place afterward.

Shots from Tedit world, quite a bit cleaner:
0qTfBGF.jpg

Some weird shadows around, but well, an extremely small world works funny.

vGNhNAP.jpg

Edits: Tree of life v.2 and v.1 side by side, for those who are interested:
Untitled.png

v.2 is actually better connected, and has more usable space for almost the same dimensions.

Last edited:
Now I want em both for the map I'm building :D
Joking aside awesome work and I can't wait for a download link. V2 is almost perfect (to be honest I liked the lights at her eyes). V1 is very good still, but I'd make some small changes there before I use it, such as more natural foliage in general and more curvy/interesting look at the roots but to be honest I'd definitely want to make an adventure map around them. had I the time for it.

I use it on my playthrough and I can say it's awesome! Just a couple of things tho'
1) It'd be a nice idea if you added a way or two to get out of the tree :)
2) Monsters can spawn inside. I don't know why but it makes things quite hard for an expert new character to move/fight in there the first couple of nights.
3) Compared to v1, v2 needs more space for both NPC's and place to put chests/workstations.
4) When I pasted it on my world a huge chunk of terrain around it in a rectangle got deleted. This probably tho' is simply TEdit's problem not recognizing the empty space as "empty" even in bmp and not applying schematics as a layer on top of the existing world.

Other than that it's excellent and I fully support using it as a spawn point for the new characters/worlds.

I use it on my playthrough and I can say it's awesome! Just a couple of things tho'
1) It'd be a nice idea if you added a way or two to get out of the tree :)
2) Monsters can spawn inside. I don't know why but it makes things quite hard for an expert new character to move/fight in there the first couple of nights.
3) Compared to v1, v2 needs more space for both NPC's and place to put chests/workstations.
4) When I pasted it on my world a huge chunk of terrain around it in a rectangle got deleted. This probably tho' is simply TEdit's problem not recognizing the empty space as "empty" even in bmp and not applying schematics as a layer on top of the existing world.

Other than that it's excellent and I fully support using it as a spawn point for the new characters/worlds.

1. I can't really put exits at the base of the tree, since I don't know how deep people will put it, as that differ based on preference and based on the location of the tree in each world. That is why I think I will just leave it like that so that people can make an exit most suitable for their situation.

2. Oh? Can you take a screenshot of where they are spawning from so I can check it? I was pretty sure the whole place is walled up, and in my own play test I had no monster inside. If you are playing with an outdated version of terraria though, the living leaf wall (Moss wall in TEdit) does allow monster spawn.

3. Hmm, can you show what kind of space that you need exactly? I thought V.2 has more open space for both of that on both of the branches, comparing to V.1. I can easily extend the length of the trunk for more storage space if needed. Though also remember you can use the space underneath the branches for hanging houses and pavilions if you need more spaces:
Untitled.png

(just an example I whipped up. Not something I will add to the tree, it looks horrible.)

4. I can give you an empty world containing only the tree if the schematic is causing problems.

Last edited:
There you go

Capture 2015-08-14 21_34_35.png

I put it in my world fine. I only wish I could use the ore generator at TEdit so I'd save myself sometime instead of manually rebuilding the whole area :)

This is just an example from when I last logged in. Same thing happens at most places of the tree. I have 2 doors at the bottom but both are closed. I believe that the game algorithm forces the spawns even if the place is walled up if the whole spawning place around the player "90 tiles iirc?" is walled up. I don't think that's a problem with the tree itself but with how the game works to be honest :(

Another thing is that I'm not sure if NPCs can go to the rooms properly. For example I have 240 health atm but besides the guide no other NPC has come yet. From the NPC spawn rules I should have the merchant/nurse/demolitionist already. I have made the rooms for those and game says that they are suitable, but no npc's yet. Will need further testing for that tho'

There you go

View attachment 71618

I put it in my world fine. I only wish I could use the ore generator at TEdit so I'd save myself sometime instead of manually rebuilding the whole area :)

This is just an example from when I last logged in. Same thing happens at most places of the tree. I have 2 doors at the bottom but both are closed. I believe that the game algorithm forces the spawns even if the place is walled up if the whole spawning place around the player "90 tiles iirc?" is walled up. I don't think that's a problem with the tree itself but with how the game works to be honest :(

Another thing is that I'm not sure if NPCs can go to the rooms properly. For example I have 240 health atm but besides the guide no other NPC has come yet. From the NPC spawn rules I should have the merchant/nurse/demolitionist already. I have made the rooms for those and game says that they are suitable, but no npc's yet. Will need further testing for that tho'

Oh you mean you want more space up where Terra is? I always thought people prefer to stick closer to the ground for ease of movement (was something I realized after playing v.1 for a while - it is a pain getting from top of tree to the ground), so this time I made more space in the cave down there in case people want to be there. I would suggest moving the storage/ work space to the 2 branches on the sides, and build something up:
Untitled.png

And for the monster spawn, try replacing the leaf wall to player grass wall using Tedit and see if that persist. That seems very strange to have monster in there. I didn't see any when I was hanging around in my test world and see how well the vines grows from the grass blocks.

For NPC rooms, if game says it is suitable, then I would think it is suitable for NPC to move in.

For rebuilding, is it because the tree cuts an area of your world that you have to rebuild? It could be due to differing TEdit version. I am still using a fork of 3.5 since that still work fine instead of using the beta version of 3.6.

Seems like NPC's refuse to spawn for some reason. Housing is suitable but while I'm waiting for 3 NPCs to come I'm stuck with only the guide.
Could it be that NPCs can't climb up to the branches where their houses are?

For rebuilding, is it because the tree cuts an area of your world that you have to rebuild?
Exactly. I'm using 3.6 at the moment but I fixed it for now so I'm not sure if that's the problem but it might as well be :)

I'll try that with the leaf wall tomorrow. For now my biggest problem are the NPCs stubbornness.

EDIT: Seems like whatever the wiki says leaf wall doesn't work (player made or not) for NPC rooms. I tried with your walls NPCs did not come. I made some leaf walls myself and nothing changed. When I put living wood walls the NPCs started arriving.

But the only sensible space to make rooms with living wood wall is at the bottom of the tree... There go my dreams of not making hotel towers for them in this playthrough :(

Maybe it's not counted as "wall" for enemy spawn rules as well? Didn't try to edit it through TEdit yet but if it's not recognized as wall for NPC housing (player made leaf wall) it only makes sense if it doesn't work to prevent enemy spawns as well I guess...

Last edited:
Maybe it's not counted as "wall" for enemy spawn rules as well? Didn't try to edit it through TEdit yet but if it's not recognized as wall for NPC housing (player made leaf wall) it only makes sense if it doesn't work to prevent enemy spawns as well I guess...

What is your terraria versions? Leaf wall has been made suitable for housing since 1.3.0.5

Also, NPC will teleport to suitable rooms once you are out of view. Sometimes they will even get to sky houses.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom