Tool TEdit - Terraria Map Editor

-tries to click simple ore generator- -nothing pops up- ...dangit

So..... I've never actually tried that plugin before, so I checked out the code base and.....
It does work, it's just not intuitive, I should add a pop up....
Open up the pencil or brush and in the tile picker select your chosen tile (this plugin will use whatever tile is picked, so it's more of a simple tile generator not just ores)
If you only want to use the plugin in a certain area, go ahead and pick the selection tool and select just the area.
Then run the tool and bam you've got some random tile generated. It will only change dirt or stone tiles that don't have a wall behind them

There was more things I wanted to point out, let's see if I can remember what they were. So you fixed the Announcement Boxes. There is now a sprite for "ground", "hanging", "left side", "right side" and "floating". And looking at Signs now, there is no "floating" for Signs. How did that one get missed after all this time? XD
Also I really think Geysers and Boulders should count as traps, but when you type "trap" in the filter they don't show up in that list. Really seems like they should go in the trap category.

Now for 1 suggestion, I right-clicked on a stack of items in 1 slot of a chest thinking I could copy and paste into other slots. But nope nothing. I also tried Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V but still no. Seems like copy and paste should be a thing for items/stacks in chests. I'm sure a lot of people would really like that to be a thing.
`:)

@enigmaquip, thanks for the explanation. (@SovereignVis) Vis, good suggestion, been meaning to say something about the copy and paste in the chest, but always forget when I come here. Maybe also, add a selection for max items for each item in the chest so for items maxing out at 999 it puts 999 or items of just 1 stays at 1.

Thanks to the team on TEdit, you guys have been rocking it!

One workaround for the copy and paste for chests would be to use the Selection tool and copy&paste the chest elsewhere. But yeah, that doesn't solve the single item problem. Maybe the ability to send a chest item into the clipboard could work it out...

A few things I could suggest:
- Make it so you can delete Actuators without deleting blocks along with it.
- Make it so you can toggle any tile Active/Inactive without the need to have a Block placed. If you remove an inactive block, there's no way to reactivate the cube space unless you put either a block or a sprite.
- A Hand tool would be good to click-and-drag sprites and blocks that are placed. Just for sprites would be very good just for a start. The way the program works, I can see why this could be a difficult one.
- A Hammer tool would be good to make quick slope edits. It would work just like in the game. This tool would make checkbox unticking/ticking less tedious for pencil/brush when you want 1-3 squares to be sloped. The way we can edit slopes right now is mostly good for bulk jobs...
- The Sprite Tab should cover the entire height of the screen, due to the sheer amount of it. Maybe even have a different window popup for it... Also, reduce each item's box by a couple of pixels so you can squeeze more sprites into the window.
- The ability to see applied paint while you edit in zoom in mode would be nice. You can only see the paint color if you zoom out of detailed tile mode.
- Add number key shortcuts for items in the clipboard. Inside the clipboard tab, you could assign your number keys to your favorite selections and quickly swap between each. Favorited Selections would be saved on your PC instead of just floating in RAM.
- Speaking of Favorites, Pencil/Brush could use a system like above. A specific type of Pencil or Brush at the touch of a hotkey. A Picker tool favorite system perhaps?
- A zoom in/out slider for the edit zone would be nice.

If I think of anything else, I'll drop by. Cheers.

@Vagrant, good suggestions. When a final release of Terraria happens, maybe it would be a good time to do those bigger code changes.

As for the clipboard, you can export schematics to save the clipboard items to re-import at a later time.

@Vagrant
- Having extras checked with the actuator option unchecked will delete an actuator, just keep tile/wall unchecked, I might change it so that having the eraser selected with the actuator checked will do the same.
- re: active/inactive I think I'm gonna make a change that deleting a tile will delete slope, actuator and active status (basically the extras tab)

Paint is a weird beast and BinaryConstruct and I have talked about it a lil bit. There's an easy way, and there's a harder way. The easy way is to use the render engine's built in shader option, which in no way mimics the real paint techniques of Terraria. Or there's doing it the right way that involves using a Pixel Shader. I can make the easy way work in no time flat, but I'm not happy with the way it turns out. The hard way, I need to learn how to use pixel shaders with mono and how to integrate them in the code. When I started contributing to TEdit a year ago when 1.3 dropped I hadn't touched C# before, in that time I've overhauled the pencil tool (for the better I think, some may not agree), added track editing, fixed a bunch of rendering, and since @SovereignVis likes to keep me on my toes, fixed a bunch of missing sprites. Give me time and I'll get there.

Quick update 3.8.16212.114 add's Vis' missing sign sprite, and changes above (deleting a tile will remove extras associated with it and having the extras tab checked with eraser selected will erase all extras as well)

Quick update 3.8.16212.114 add's Vis' missing sign sprite, and changes above (deleting a tile will remove extras associated with it and having the extras tab checked with eraser selected will erase all extras as well)

Thank you for the hard work. Even if not perfect, this program is a powerful world-shaping tool. I'm really having a blast remaking my adventure map with it.

F- me, but do you remember when we couldn't add items to chest or how signs could not be edited, like before 1.2? I remember painfully giving my characters items so I would go inside the map and place them manually. Same for signs, I had to be inside the world to edit. Now, everything is so ez-pz it puts everything I did to shame XD

Got 2 more suggestions:

- Mannequins with any armor/clothes on it. There's no way to see what you placed on the Mannequin. The only way to see if you have something at all is if part of the mannequin becomes invisible in Tedit. It could also use a tab like Chests so we could put or remove anything down. Currently, the only to add stuff on Mannequins is to go directly inside the game...

- Magic Dropper tool to make water drops. Unless this is already possible by adding a block of water inside a brick? Referring to this btw --> http://terraria.wiki.gg/Magic_Dropper

Got 2 more suggestions:

- Mannequins with any armor/clothes on it. There's no way to see what you placed on the Mannequin. The only way to see if you have something at all is if part of the mannequin becomes invisible in Tedit. It could also use a tab like Chests so we could put or remove anything down. Currently, the only to add stuff on Mannequins is to go directly inside the game...

- Magic Dropper tool to make water drops. Unless this is already possible by adding a block of water inside a brick? Referring to this btw --> http://terraria.wiki.gg/Magic_Dropper

Droplets are in the sprite tab, they go in the space below the tile you want to drip from
upload_2016-7-31_22-17-31.png

Wo/mannequins, tile frames, and weapon racks have been on my todo list for a lil bit, both the rendering and editing are quite the endeavor

@enigmaquip Ah, so that where these were hiding out. Thanks for pointing it out.

As for the mannequins/others, it doesn't really need the full render. You could cut corners by simply adding a mannequin with a star or exclamation point near it. That would indicate us that this mannequin/frame is wearing something. When we edit, we don't really need to see all that. :)

@enigmaquip Got it. jeez that was fast.

Opened it up, checked my mannequins, they all have a render now. Great work. I guess that big endeavor you were talking about is only for editing. :)

Question/Poll of sorts
and goes to what was suggested earlier
would you guys prefer the utility bar on the right to be full height instead of the toolbar at the top full width?
This is what it would look like
upload_2016-8-1_18-13-1.png

Everything does fit when full screen at 1920x1080... Using the widest tool as an example. Although some of those I could pull off trimming the width a little bit

Sorry for the spam-o-tron, but here's yet another idea I had while editing.

How about the ability to swap working sprites behind a fake sprite?
i.e. Make an Abandoned Tent sprite clickable like a Bed. Or make a Dresser act like a Demon Altar. Or make some Gray Bricks act like Ice Cube to simulate wet floors.

I imagined this would work by using the Arrow tool to right click the sprite, which would open a Properties tab showing you a drop list of of other sprites renders.

This feature would be unique to TEdit and would allow some pretty funky combos. No clue if that would even be possible in Terraria, but consider the crazy possibilities. XD

Edit: @enigmaquip posted while I was finishing this post. I vote Yes! The Sprite list is very, very long so all the space we can muster is good.

Back
Top Bottom