Terra, a Terraria Demake for the Pico-8

Terraricanth

Official Terrarian
The Pico-8 is a game development tool emulating the restrictions game developers had to deal with all the way back in the 80's. It's been around since at least 2014 or so, but it's only really gotten traction now. Some impressive games have been created using it, but the most popular types of games made for it are demakes of more advanced games. Recently, Terraria got a demake too!

Screenshot (92).png

Terra is a bite-sized version of Terraria on the Pico-8, created by cubee.
To quote the game's description, here are its current features:
  • A large map of 252x130 tiles, stored using the extended memory
  • 3 biomes (Forest, Jungle, Corruption)
  • 3 bosses (King Slime, Eye of Cthulhu, and a secret one that you'll have to find yourself. They won't spawn naturally, summon them using their summon items)
  • Various enemies for each biome and underground (12 total)
  • Cave generation
  • Mining and crafting
  • Melee and Ranged attacks
  • Ranged weapons automatically aim towards nearest target or bosses
  • A basic palette fade lighting system, with a day-night cycle
  • A few progression/recipe changes due to space limitations
  • Life Crystals and Shadow Orbs to smash!
That's not to say that's everything cubee planned, more stuff will be added in the future, but these are the features it has so far.

Play it here!

I've played the game a few times myself and I do think it's pretty good both as a demake of Terraria and as its own thing, the mechanics are really faithful to the original and swinging at enemies is just as satisfying, though sometimes building and mining can be a bit tedious. That's just my opinion however, what do you people think?

An addendum: Terra has recently had a massive update!
New features include four bosses in comparison to the original's three, unique songs and backgrounds for biomes, and a (separate from the main game) crafting guide to inform you of all the differences recipes have in this version due to the limitations.
As the game is one number away from having completely used up its programming tokens (Pico-8 has a set number of "tokens" that regulate how advanced you can make your game), you could consider this the "Journey's End" of Terra.

Check it out here.

I only came accross this today, but this is quite impressive!

I really love pico-8's design, and it's suprising to see what you've all managed in that limited space. :)

Back
Top Bottom