Tool TerraCustom for 1.3

TerraCustom just stopped working for me :\
Everytime i create a world, it freezes at generating structures, but i only changed backgrouds and ore spawn rate :\

TerraCustom just stopped working for me :\
Everytime i create a world, it freezes at generating structures, but i only changed backgrouds and ore spawn rate :\

It tends to happen if you have the thorium mod- It should take 5-10 minutes for medium worlds but I don't know about large ones (Never managed to make one). If you don't have it,I don't know.

Why didn't I know about this before I generated dozens of worlds trying to find a perfect one... Thanks for the tool!

Firstly I have to say, fantastic program! Thank you so much for this! Now onto my issue. Every time I generate a world there's a MASSIVE underground snow biome. Try as I might, I can't see anywhere I can adjust this. Am I just blind or is there a setting/slider for this?

Firstly I have to say, fantastic program! Thank you so much for this! Now onto my issue. Every time I generate a world there's a MASSIVE underground snow biome. Try as I might, I can't see anywhere I can adjust this. Am I just blind or is there a setting/slider for this?
I don't remember ever making a slider for that yet. It should be comparable to vanilla though. Let me know if it is disproportionately large.

Thank you for making this program! I love it.

Two minor suggestions/requests if feasible:

1) I would really love an option to scale up or down the amount of corruption/crimson the world starts with. I often wish I could start with about 50% as much corruption as it tends to give you. This is made worse because when I use TerraCustom, I like to select both the option to make corruption exclusively on the side of the world where the jungle *isn't*, and the option to start with BOTH corruption and crimson, but the result of that combination of things is that pretty much the *entire* other half of the world map, including the entire tundra, is riddled with either corruption or crimson chasms. So, I'm very demanding, apparently, and I could just Tedit it...but an option would be lovely.

2) I really like the option to modify the upper bound on tree height. I made a world with super tall trees and it delights me for some reason, plus it means it's easy to get lots of wood early on. However, right now, the default option is to set both the lower limit and the upper limit on tree height as 5, so if you don't purposely change that option, all the trees come out exactly 5 tiles high? I think it would be better to set the default as...whatever the vanilla game default is.

2) I really like the option to modify the upper bound on tree height. I made a world with super tall trees and it delights me for some reason, plus it means it's easy to get lots of wood early on. However, right now, the default option is to set both the lower limit and the upper limit on tree height as 5, so if you don't purposely change that option, all the trees come out exactly 5 tiles high? I think it would be better to set the default as...whatever the vanilla game default is.

especially this, i never noticed how obvious the tree gen cap is set on terracustom until after i planted some acorns and got some tall trees.

Thank you for making this program! I love it.

Two minor suggestions/requests if feasible:

1) I would really love an option to scale up or down the amount of corruption/crimson the world starts with. I often wish I could start with about 50% as much corruption as it tends to give you. This is made worse because when I use TerraCustom, I like to select both the option to make corruption exclusively on the side of the world where the jungle *isn't*, and the option to start with BOTH corruption and crimson, but the result of that combination of things is that pretty much the *entire* other half of the world map, including the entire tundra, is riddled with either corruption or crimson chasms. So, I'm very demanding, apparently, and I could just Tedit it...but an option would be lovely.

2. I'm pretty sure I programmed it to use default behavior if you don't touch the sliders.

1. I know people want this, just need more time, or help.

2. I'm pretty sure I programmed it to use default behavior if you don't touch the sliders.

Hmm, I went back to double check and it's wonky.

It turns out, if you don't touch the sliders, half of the trees come out 5 tiles tall, and the other half come out very tall, and none come out intermediate height. (Someone else mentioned this oddity in an earlier post on this thread.)

There are some long stretches of just 5-tile-high trees, which is probably why earlier, I mistakenly thought the whole world turned out to just be 5-tile-high trees when I tried leaving the tree-height slider untouched.

The interface is also weird, because what it actually says when you're making your choices is that the lower bound on tree height is 5, and the upper bound is 5, when obviously that's not right.

This is all easily fixable by just manually setting the upper bound on the tree height to something reasonable; it's just a little odd.

Attachments

• Capture 2016-06-21 19_03_12.png
    Capture 2016-06-21 19_03_12.png
    702.3 KB · Views: 299
yep, i can confirm that without touching anything, the upper AND lower limit for tree height in Terracustom defaults to 5. Meaning that, beyond the special tall trees, every naturally generated tree in your world will be exactly 5 tall.

easy enough to fix, just set the upper limit to 16 (normal limit for tree height) manually, but still weird that the program defaults to 5

I just cant use this tool anymore :c
for some reason, even if i try the default settings, i get stuck at "Generating Structures"
Any ideas on how to solve it??

Would you mind giving us download links to the older versions? Im currently looking for the 1.3.0.8 version but couldnt find it anywhere.

For those getting stuck at Generating Structures.
I spent a few hours running some tests last night.

Before that though, great mod Jopojelly.
Its made my worlds SO much more interesting.

TLDR version: mods slow everything down to a crawl during world gen.

Ok, setup background.

PC
CPU: Intel i7 960 Quad @3.2 Ghz (Laptop is from 09 :( )
Ram: 12 GB (DDR3 I think, but im not sure. Older ram from 2011)
Vid: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 285M (1 GB VRAM I believe)

So, older machine, but still capable.
More so if the damn 285M would be able to run DX11 (codec limitation). But I digress.

Terraria setup.
Mods played with (less in multi)
Aeons of Terraria
Calamity
Jenosis Cosmetic (well, once the coin rupee sound is changed)
Prefixes for enemies
Epicness Remastered
Legend of Terraria
Longbows FTW
Lunar Rings
More Guns
Pre Hardmode Wings
Pumpking (if I can get it to load...anyone else have this problem? Figured it out, page 55 of that mods thread as a new link.)
Quality of life
Sword of Cthulhu
Thorium
Tremor
Zoaklen

Yeah, mod heavy. But the rig handles it.

Anyway, heres my results from this mod.
If a setting isnt mentioned I did not alter it from standard.

All worlds large.
All mods disabled at this point. This is important.

First run, world gen time of about 1-2 mins.
No alterations, all standard.

Second run, world gen time of about 3-4 mins.
Settings:
Terrain
Surface Height Variance: 156%
Beach Size: 148%
Dungeon Size: 299%
Temple Size: 195&
Surface Tunnels: 152%
Lakes: 156%

Ores:
Both on all. Cobalt, Mythril, Titanium

Ore Amount:
Copper through Gold: 150 ish %
Demonite: 0%
Gen Hardmode ore: 21 altars
Prevent patch spawn: Enabled

Backgrounds: Surface: Hallow: 2

Misc:
Crimson w/ corruption
Force avoid jungle: yes
Pyramids: yes
Trees: yes

Various spawns:
Pre drop meteor: 1
Tree upper: 22

Chests:
Biome Chest sets: 3
Temple Chests: 147%
Shadow chests: 160%

Third run:
Same settings as above
Enabled Thorium Mod (only this one as it has world gen ores.)
World gen time: 6-7 mins.

So a good size jump in gen time.
That said, ive noticed when doing a world gen normally in the game, with Thorium active it takes a good chunk longer.

Fourth Run:
Same as run 2, unless noted.
No mods enabled.
World gen time: 5-6 mins

Terrain:
Dungeon size: 347%
Temple size: 243%

Ore amount:
Copper through Gold: 200 ish %
Hellstone: 147%

Fifth run:
Same as 4 except:
Ore amount: Presmash gen both sets of ores: enabled.
World gen time: 8-9 mins

Sixth:
Same as 5, with Thorium enabled.
World gen time: 15-16 mins.
Again, a massive jump in time.

In ALL cases, it appeared to 'hang' at Generating Structures.
That said Ive figured out that when the gen fails the client will crash.
I cranked everything up, and it took a bit longer to get to the Gen Structures mark. After a couple mins there, the client crashed with a out of memory error in windows.
So as long as the sun/moon are cycling, and you can hear the music, it SHOULD be still working.
THAT said, if your rig is comparable (or better) and 20 -30 mins in, its still there, well close and it lower some settings.

Thinking about it, its bending the rules of forming a world without giving it new strength to do so.
Ie, your rig, and the game itself, are only designed to do so much.

So dont get discouraged if it seems to hang.
As long as the client doesnt crash or you BSOD, let it gen.
Do as I did, play a few rounds in destiny pvp, for example, and then come back to it.

Mods enabled during world gen make a BIG difference.
That said, I did a normal world gen in tmod terraria.
With no mods, about 2 minutes or so.
With thorium active, closer to 4.
And with all of them active, about 4-5.

Thorium doesnt NEED its ores gen during world gen.
All its ores are either gen during play, or can be had in other ways.
So if its hanging, try having no mods enabled.
You can still enable ALL your mods when you go to play the world with no problems.

Anyway, sorry for the wall of text on my second post.
But I hope it helps.

Last edited:
@Ropya i read wat you said, and decided to let it run for a while. i was like i'm gonna watch one anime episode and it will do it
3 hours later, stills not done

wanna try out my settings to see if it works for you?
( it has a lot of changes and it used to work before, it just stopped working for no reason :\ ( and the default world, if i dont change anything, doesnt work neither ))

Back
Top Bottom