Tool TerraCustom for 1.3

Could you please clarify the steps that the mac users should take? Ive renamed the one file that i could find in the folder to terracustom.exe, and then nothing happens. What else should i do or is there something im doing horribly wrong?
I cant find the terraria.exe file, i can only find terraria.app, and i dont think i should replace that.
A .app is actually a folder, go inside and you'll find what you are looking for.

I'm not sure I've used the very most recent version, so forgive me if this has already been dealt with, but I noticed a weird problem where TerraCustom seems to mess with my config.json. Specifically it sets Fullscreen to false and removes the UseExperimentalFeatures line (causing it to revert to false when I launch Terraria). I can't imagine why it would be doing that on purpose, so I assume it's unintended.
Hm, I thought I prevented this, but it looks like I didn't, should be fixed next release. (launching is windowed despite fullscreen in config, however, is intended.)

Last edited:
1.) You should be able to set the minimum, and maximum surface height limits. Rather than the cryptic system in place currently, I think you should be able to set the maximum and minimum heights, and then use a slider to determine how flat, or how hilly your world will be.
See, the "cryptic" system in place actually means something, it is the max and min as a percentage of the world height. And you can use the variance slider for hilliness.

1.) This is about the ocean. Whatever side the dungeon is on, the ocean following it always has an abnormally long beach, leading to a very small ocean, as a result. The other ocean, on the side of the Jungle, never has this issue.
I can't figure out what could be causing this.

This one I agree with 100%. Although in nearly every world I make, both sides of the map tend to have extremely short/shallow oceans, with near non-existent (sometimes completely non-existent) beach portions. And while this was my result among all sorts of varied setting combinations, it should be noted I mainly play on large worlds -- I have not tested this nearly as much on smaller world sizes.

Like I've posted some weeks ago, I proposed for three new options:

1. Allow to define the surface area of beaches (where palm trees grow) to the user's liking

2. Define the length or surface area of the ocean itself

3. Define the ocean's depth (this one being the least important, but nice to have nonetheless)
Those are some nice suggestions there! I support your suggestion! What do you think about my other suggestions though, I've certainly had many issues with a near-by snow biome.
[doublepost=1483046765,1483046631][/doublepost]
See, the "cryptic" system in place actually means something, it is the max and min as a percentage of the world height. And you can use the variance slider for hilliness.

I can't figure out what could be causing this.
I am still confused about what you mean by these percentages. I am trying to achieve a relatively flat world, that is also tall throughout the entire world. I generally find that the spawn point of my world is much lower than the outer edges of my world, is there something I can do to fix this? Also, I always find that the dungeon side of the world is usually lower than the other side of the world. Like I said earlier, I just want a tall world, that has hills, but isn't too extreme, like you have posted in your previous examples.

Kept getting an error when I would hit create and the error message said something about World Gen Previewer so I disabled it, and then I could make a world normally.

The error message also mentioned the Wormholes mod too but that was still loaded and it was fine, so it might be something like the two mods don't work together well in TerraCustom, but fine if only one was loaded.

Kept getting an error when I would hit create and the error message said something about World Gen Previewer so I disabled it, and then I could make a world normally.

The error message also mentioned the Wormholes mod too but that was still loaded and it was fine, so it might be something like the two mods don't work together well in TerraCustom, but fine if only one was loaded.
Might just be I need to update to tmodloader 0.9.1

Ok, I have tried generating more worlds, and STILL no luck. Could you add an option where you can simply keep the same generation as normal worlds, but just increase the average world height of a world? Kind of like a slider, that's all I want to see! I keep on finding amazing worlds, but they are plagued by a pathetic low world height. I like high worlds because they have more blocks to manipulate, and more underground to explore!

Ok, I have tried generating more worlds, and STILL no luck. Could you add an option where you can simply keep the same generation as normal worlds, but just increase the average world height of a world? Kind of like a slider, that's all I want to see! I keep on finding amazing worlds, but they are plagued by a pathetic low world height. I like high worlds because they have more blocks to manipulate, and more underground to explore!
Here are some examples:
(Surface Upper, Surface Lower, Surface Variance)
10%, 14%, 100%
Z5TjjmH.png

10%, 20%, 200%
R3QHgnW.png

10%, 23%, 100%
v2edTuw.png

10%, 23%, 250%
x9HGzcw.png

12%, 45%, 100%
qcBhCix.png

17%, 18%, 100%
ZPbZu5J.png

17%, 30%, 100% -- Vanilla generation
hYV2IXx.png

So, I hope you can see how a larger % on the lower limit results in a lower world while a low % on the upper limit results in a world near the sky. The 10%/14% combo is really close to the top of the world, which i think is what you want.

If you are going off the reported "height" in game with the cell phone or something, you'll be confused, since that measures from the surface layer line. For example, if you do 10%/11%, the surface layer line will be at here where the character head is: (btw, on the surface the height is reported as 65 feet)
MzwmyAv.png

But in reality, the world is very high, and very close to the upper limit.

With the 12%/45% world, the surface level will be here where the character head is: (btw, the reported height on surface is 364 feet)
DzLy3Vt.png

I hope this makes sense. Basically the larger difference between upper and lower limit, the more likely you'll get a high reported "height", but in reality lower numbers for both those options push the real height higher.

Anyway, to answer your questions, just make upper and lower surface limit to a smaller % in tandem.

Wow man, thanks for the effort put into your post! This is definitely making more sense, I'll post more if I screw something up again. Thank you again for making this INCREDIBLE tool, it has made finding a custom world so much easier! Also, what sized worlds are these? I am making large worlds, does it make a difference depending on world size? The reason why I do not like low elevation worlds is because the ugly altars spawn near the surface, but that's just a minor complaint. If I tune down the height variance, will I get an overall more consistent height? I constantly get worlds that are generally tall, but have one part of the world that is very, VERY low. Also, it says that if I take the first percentage below 15%, then I will have a high chance of failure. Is this true, if so, to what extent?

Last edited:
Wow man, thanks for the effort put into your post! This is definitely making more sense, I'll post more if I screw something up again (because I'm an idiot :p). Thank you again for making this INCREDIBLE tool, it has made finding a custom world so much easier! Also, what sized worlds are these? I am making large worlds, does it make a difference depending on world size? The reason why I do not like low elevation worlds is because the ugly altars spawn near the surface, but that's just a minor complaint. If I tune down the height variance, will I get an overall more consistent height? I constantly get worlds that are generally tall, but have one part of the world that is very, VERY low. Also, it says that if I take the first percentage below 15%, then I will have a high chance of failure. Is this true, if so, to what extent?
Well, I generated all these without crashing....but that first world doesn't have any sky islands because there is no room. Should be fine on large though. These were all small, but it's all the same, a percentage of the total world height. Yes, that is what height variance is for.

Well, I generated all these without crashing....but that first world doesn't have any sky islands because there is no room. Should be fine on large though. These were all small, but it's all the same, a percentage of the total world height. Yes, that is what height variance is for.
Awesome, thanks for the clarification! May be worth it to crank up the sky island generation as a result of that.

Finally, one more issue I've been having, pretty much every beach I have generated is over 200 blocks long, resulting in a VERY small ocean, which I obviously don't want. Any reason as to why this is? I have my beaches set to 50% as well, so I don't see why the beaches are so long. (Large World)
EDIT: I have come to realize that what you concluded in your post about world size isn't what I want. I don't want a world that is close to the height limit, I just want a surface that is high in terms of feet, such as 600' above the surface level. How can I reproduce this?

EDIT #2: Here are some screenshots to show my points. I don't want a world where I can see underground cabins, and altars from the surface. I don't want the surface of my world to be close to the ceiling of the world (space), I want my world to be as tall as possible (in terms of feet / meters on my Cell Phone). Also, the other two images show how broken the ocean generation currently is, most oceans aren't even 50 blocks long. http://imgur.com/a/KwHLK

Last edited:

But u dont have any clue why the Beach is messing up everytime ? i mean in ur exampels the Beaches/Oceans are fine. But i notice the same when doing a world one side of the beach is like super big and the ocean super small.

Alright, here is what I want my world height to be, I hope this can give more clarification, this is a visual indication of what I want my world to be. Link here: http://imgur.com/a/m49jc
There are some descriptions of the images, but all of the values are based on the depth meter of the Cell Phone accessory. I don't want a world that has a low surface height, I want a world that is about 600' tall at spawn, and throughout the whole world, and caps off at over 1000' feet overall. What do I have to do in order to generate a world of that spec? Could you provide me large world examples? (My example is also in a large world). Thank you for all the help you have provided me, I am simply an idiot that cannot reproduce the circumstances of your world height examples properly. And of course, the ocean issue is still plaguing most of my worlds.

Alright, here is what I want my world height to be, I hope this can give more clarification, this is a visual indication of what I want my world to be. Link here: http://imgur.com/a/m49jc
There are some descriptions of the images, but all of the values are based on the depth meter of the Cell Phone accessory. I don't want a world that has a low surface height, I want a world that is about 600' tall at spawn, and throughout the whole world, and caps off at over 1000' feet overall. What do I have to do in order to generate a world of that spec? Could you provide me large world examples? (My example is also in a large world). Thank you for all the help you have provided me, I am simply an idiot that cannot reproduce the circumstances of your world height examples properly. And of course, the ocean issue is still plaguing most of my worlds.
K, the problem is you are talking about cell phone measurements, so it's a little confusing.

So, Depth meter measurements are based off of "Main.worldSurface", which in turn is set by "Main.worldSurface = worldSurfaceHigh + 25.0;" during world gen, and worldSurfaceHigh is clamped between Upper and Lower Surface Terrain Height (17% and 30% in vanilla.) The problem is that you can't have a large reported height unless upper and lower are spread far apart and you just happen to get lucky and the randomness of the terrain generator favors moving up instead of moving down.

So, set them at max and min, make a few worlds, watch them gen.

K, the problem is you are talking about cell phone measurements, so it's a little confusing.

So, Depth meter measurements are based off of "Main.worldSurface", which in turn is set by "Main.worldSurface = worldSurfaceHigh + 25.0;" during world gen, and worldSurfaceHigh is clamped between Upper and Lower Surface Terrain Height (17% and 30% in vanilla.) The problem is that you can't have a large reported height unless upper and lower are spread far apart and you just happen to get lucky and the randomness of the terrain generator favors moving up instead of moving down.

So, set them at max and min, make a few worlds, watch them gen.
Set both of the parameters at maximum and minimum? I get what you are saying, somewhat, but should I try setting both to max, then both to min? I'm definitely willing to play with some RNG, if only the worlds generated quicker (first world problems).

Set both of the parameters at maximum and minimum? I get what you are saying, somewhat, but should I try setting both to max, then both to min? I'm definitely willing to play with some RNG, if only the worlds generated quicker (first world problems).

No, spread them as far as possible, so the surface layer is tall. If they are the same number, or close, that layer is skinny.

No, spread them as far as possible, so the surface layer is tall. If they are the same number, or close, that layer is skinny.
Alright, and do I keep the surface height variation at 100%? I want vanilla terrain generation for the most part, so any thoughts? Thanks for the clarification, I don't want a very thin surface layer. Also, does it matter if I set max world height to the highest number, and minimum world height to the lowest number? Or do I have to do it one way?

Alright, and do I keep the surface height variation at 100%? I want vanilla terrain generation for the most part, so any thoughts? Thanks for the clarification, I don't want a very thin surface layer. Also, does it matter if I set max world height to the highest number, and minimum world height to the lowest number? Or do I have to do it one way?
It won't let you do it the wrong way. As for variation, keep it at 100 since you said you didn't want it more hilly.

I've been having success finding taller maps, but I keep on running into two issues. 1.) The height variation is too great. For example, I can generate a world that is 600' tall at spawn, and 10' tall at the ocean, how can I make world height more consistent? 2.) Oceans are screwed up, all oceans I generate are FAR too small to even function as an ocean biome, the beaches are always far too large. I think this may actually be a bug, screenshot here shows why this is a problem: http://imgur.com/a/PqqLE

Back
Top Bottom