Tool TerraCustom for 1.3

So i just keep getting the "System out of memory" error... Any help? My PC is pretty beastly don't think that's a problem. And yes i'm running it in the terraria steam folder
1-open terraria
2-disable "mods that have no world gen features"
it should help a "bit" to terra custom to dont crash on world gen or out of memory issues.

So i just keep getting the "System out of memory" error... Any help? My PC is pretty beastly don't think that's a problem. And yes i'm running it in the terraria steam folder
Yeah, pfft, I ran out of memory on a computer with 16GBs of RAM

Terraria is a 32 bit program and as such is limited to 4 GB (less overhead) no matter how much RAM you have installed on your computer. Based on previous posts, out of memory errors occur because you have too many mods active. The solution here is to disable some of the mods.

Terraria is a 32 bit program and as such is limited to 4 GB (less overhead) no matter how much RAM you have installed on your computer.

Yeah technically was my point. I know that 32-bit programs can only access certain parts of your PC's hardware/specs but since my PC has 16GB of memory, up to 4GBs would've available guaranteed since Terraria/TerraCustom was the only program running at the time.

Based on previous posts, out of memory errors occur because you have too many mods active. The solution here is to disable some of the mods.

The only other three mods that were running while using TerraCustom at the time is TModLoader which is required (obviously), Large World Editor (v0.1.1), and WorldGen Previewer (v0.1.5) which two of three (WorldGen Previewer) is required to use TerraCustom.

The only other three mods that were running while using TerraCustom at the time is TModLoader which is required (obviously), Large World Editor (v0.1.1), and WorldGen Previewer (v0.1.5) which two of three (WorldGen Previewer) is required to use TerraCustom.
I am not familiar with mods (I don't use any myself aside from TerraCustom), but I'd hazard a guess Large World Editor might be the culprit. WorldGen Previewer and TMod Loader aren't required to use TerraCustom. (Unless it's actually part of the TerraCustom install package, but they are not separate prerequisites.)

Aside from that, there are some settings that might cause problems with world generation. For example, the number of chests generated. Perhaps start with a small world on default settings and gradually increase it until you get issues? A few settings tweaks might help resolve the problem.

Yeah technically was my point. I know that 32-bit programs can only access certain parts of your PC's hardware/specs but since my PC has 16GB of memory, up to 4GBs would've available guaranteed since Terraria/TerraCustom was the only program running at the time.

Yeah... so, if you knew that 32-bit process memory limits exist, perhaps you should have considered not referring *only* to completely irrelevant details. Also, it's a 2GB limit, I'm afraid, since Terraria isn't large address space aware – at least, as shipped via steam.

I assume you mean "Large World Enabler", not editor, which suggests you are trying to generate something larger than a standard world, yes? As Sigma90 said, that's much more likely to lead to memory shortfalls.

Yeah, I have the same issue, can't make as gigantic of a world as I would have liked, lol. Would be a dream come true to have Terraria able to use what my machine has to offer, some world large enough to house multiple playthroughs at once! I toyed with the idea of making a few Large worlds width wise, but twice as deep, then using a world editor to paste them side by side, but I don't think any editors out there would be able to do that.

I am not sure if this problem I am having is related to this mod, but I think it is. I generated a world with TerraCustom, and I left the world size to its default (vanilla) large world settings. I made a world, and I played on a server with it for about 150 hours or so. I made sure to back up this world manually every three hours or so. Now, every single backup is apparently corrupted. I can load everything up fine in single player, but in multiplayer there is always a massive chunk missing. I downloaded and opened the world with TEdit to see what would happen. TEdit reports that the file might be corrupt, but it will still open the file. Everything looks fine in TEdit: no missing chunks or anything. However, TEdit did report one thing when informing me that the file may be corrupt that I don't really understand but that sent me to this thread.

Here is the exact error report:
-------
There was an error reading the world file. This is usually caused by a corrupt save file or a world version newer than supported.

TEdit v3.9.17105.0355
TEdit Max World: 187 Current World: 194

The error is:
Unexpected Position: Invalid Mob and NPC Data

System.IO.FileFormatException: Unexpected Position: Invalid Mob and NPC Data at TEditXNA.Terraria.World.LoadV2(BinaryReader b, String filename, World w) in c:\projects\terraria-map-editor\TEditXna\Terraria\World.FileV2.cs:line 652 at TEditXNA.Terraria.World.LoadWorld(String filename) in c:\projects\terraria-map-editor]TEditXna\Terraria\World.cs:line 128
-------

I apologize if this is too much information. I am not a programmer, and I did not know what was relevant so I copied it all. If this has nothing to do with this TerraCustom, I also apologize. I saw "TEdit Max World: 187" and assumed that that must be the value of a max world size or something, and then I saw that it reported the world that won't load properly at being "194," so I thought that maybe the world was larger than the default/expected size? I did generate this world using TerraCustom, and it has worked fine until now on my server. I can still play it with no issues at all on single player. Every single one of my last 25 backups is apparently corrupted. I simply find that hard to believe, especially considering I have two copies of each of the 25 backups across two separate external hard drives. Anyway, if this is not relevant to this thread, could a mod please move it for me? I don't want to spam the post with relevant posts. If it is relevant, I hope someone here can help me. We have 150 hours worth of building on this world spread across four people. We really don't want to lose it all. Thanks for taking the time to read my post, and thanks for any input! :D

~Sage Raziel

I am not sure if this problem I am having is related to this mod, but I think it is. I generated a world with TerraCustom, and I left the world size to its default (vanilla) large world settings. I made a world, and I played on a server with it for about 150 hours or so. I made sure to back up this world manually every three hours or so. Now, every single backup is apparently corrupted. I can load everything up fine in single player, but in multiplayer there is always a massive chunk missing. I downloaded and opened the world with TEdit to see what would happen. TEdit reports that the file might be corrupt, but it will still open the file. Everything looks fine in TEdit: no missing chunks or anything. However, TEdit did report one thing when informing me that the file may be corrupt that I don't really understand but that sent me to this thread.

Here is the exact error report:
-------
There was an error reading the world file. This is usually caused by a corrupt save file or a world version newer than supported.

TEdit v3.9.17105.0355
TEdit Max World: 187 Current World: 194

The error is:
Unexpected Position: Invalid Mob and NPC Data

System.IO.FileFormatException: Unexpected Position: Invalid Mob and NPC Data at TEditXNA.Terraria.World.LoadV2(BinaryReader b, String filename, World w) in c:\projects\terraria-map-editor\TEditXna\Terraria\World.FileV2.cs:line 652 at TEditXNA.Terraria.World.LoadWorld(String filename) in c:\projects\terraria-map-editor]TEditXna\Terraria\World.cs:line 128
-------

I apologize if this is too much information. I am not a programmer, and I did not know what was relevant so I copied it all. If this has nothing to do with this TerraCustom, I also apologize. I saw "TEdit Max World: 187" and assumed that that must be the value of a max world size or something, and then I saw that it reported the world that won't load properly at being "194," so I thought that maybe the world was larger than the default/expected size? I did generate this world using TerraCustom, and it has worked fine until now on my server. I can still play it with no issues at all on single player. Every single one of my last 25 backups is apparently corrupted. I simply find that hard to believe, especially considering I have two copies of each of the 25 backups across two separate external hard drives. Anyway, if this is not relevant to this thread, could a mod please move it for me? I don't want to spam the post with relevant posts. If it is relevant, I hope someone here can help me. We have 150 hours worth of building on this world spread across four people. We really don't want to lose it all. Thanks for taking the time to read my post, and thanks for any input! :D

~Sage Raziel
Looks like you are just using an old TEdit. You need 3.10 not 3.9 for 1.3.5 worlds.

Thank you for your reply. Do you happen to know why my world files keep corrupting? This isn't the first time its happened. It's odd because I can still play on single player, but not on mutiplayer with those worlds. I have experienced this without mods installed and with mods installed, and I am really at a loss for the cause. I thought maybe TerraCustom had something to do with it, but maybe not. I can provide any of my world backups, if anyone wants to take a look at them. The same issue in multiplayer applies regardless of if I use a dedicated server or Steam server. I am really appreciative of any help. I've spent literally days searching forums and the web, and I can't find anything. I hate to start a new world, but I will gladly do it if I can figure out what is causing this issue and prevent it from happening in the future. I just don't want my friends and me to get deep into a game and invest many, many hours if it is just going to randomly corrupt again. I hope someone more knowledgeable about this than myself can help us figure this out. As always, thanks in advance for your time. It is greatly appreciated.

~Sage Raziel

P.S. I will update TEdit and see what the new version says about my so-called 'corrupted' world files.

EDIT #1: TEdit 3.10 opens all of my world backup files perfectly. There is no error reported. I would simply save the world using TEdit and try loading it, but in this particular case, we are playing with mods. Still, the server loads the world, but a large chunk is missing. This is not the case in TEdit or in single player.

EDIT #2: Now, for whatever reason, single player loads the world 50% of the time, and the other 50% it throws the out of memory error. I'm guessing that the world save file is too big? I mean, it worked for like 150 hours of gameplay, so is it the case that all of our building made it too big to load alongside the mods we're running? Sorry for all the annoyance...

Thank you for your reply. Do you happen to know why my world files keep corrupting? This isn't the first time its happened. It's odd because I can still play on single player, but not on mutiplayer with those worlds. I have experienced this without mods installed and with mods installed, and I am really at a loss for the cause. I thought maybe TerraCustom had something to do with it, but maybe not. I can provide any of my world backups, if anyone wants to take a look at them. The same issue in multiplayer applies regardless of if I use a dedicated server or Steam server. I am really appreciative of any help. I've spent literally days searching forums and the web, and I can't find anything. I hate to start a new world, but I will gladly do it if I can figure out what is causing this issue and prevent it from happening in the future. I just don't want my friends and me to get deep into a game and invest many, many hours if it is just going to randomly corrupt again. I hope someone more knowledgeable about this than myself can help us figure this out. As always, thanks in advance for your time. It is greatly appreciated.

~Sage Raziel

P.S. I will update TEdit and see what the new version says about my so-called 'corrupted' world files.

EDIT #1: TEdit 3.10 opens all of my world backup files perfectly. There is no error reported. I would simply save the world using TEdit and try loading it, but in this particular case, we are playing with mods. Still, the server loads the world, but a large chunk is missing. This is not the case in TEdit or in single player.

EDIT #2: Now, for whatever reason, single player loads the world 50% of the time, and the other 50% it throws the out of memory error. I'm guessing that the world save file is too big? I mean, it worked for like 150 hours of gameplay, so is it the case that all of our building made it too big to load alongside the mods we're running? Sorry for all the annoyance...

Hey, mind uploading your world file?

Has anyone had success generating worlds with both crimson and corruption biomes in them? I'm generating worlds at 16800 x 1950 and random with 50% on each generates only one while setting it to both causes the world to generate in T custom fine but once I select the world in game it fails to load and gives a memory limit crash.
I am running Thorium and the spirit mod so it's possible the world gen goes over the limit by factoring in their biomes but the whole reason I'm trying to generate such a wide world is so the game can fit in more biomes with fewer overlaps.

Last edited:
Has anyone had success generating worlds with both crimson and corruption biomes in them? I'm generating worlds at 16800 x 1950 and random with 50% on each generates only one while setting it to both causes the world to generate in T custom fine but once I select the world in game it fails to load and gives a memory limit crash.
I am running Thorium and the spirit mod so it's possible the world gen goes over the limit by factoring in their biomes but the whole reason I'm trying to generate such a wide world is so the game can fit in more biomes with fewer overlaps.

Yes. It works fine to generate such a world. You will need to ensure your memory usage does not exceed capacity, however, probably by making a smaller world overall. Try reducing the width some, probably the simplest solution.

I have uploaded the world file, my player file, and my mods folder so that anyone attempting to resolve my issue can recreate the game environment that I have for modded Terraria. I included only these files, and I have deleted the mods cache file in the uploaded version to reduce the file size. The download link through MediaFire is below:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/w1i2bh3issczr2t/ModLoader.zip

Again, thanks to anyone who looks over these files or attempts to help me. I am really grateful for your input, and I am appreciative of such an active, helpful community as well.

~Sage Raziel

This is probably going to sound really dumb, but trying to open the world simply says "Load failed, no backup found." Did i do something wrong?

EDIT: every world says that now, great

is there a way to make the snow biome bigger?

Yea ive been waiting around for him to include a only one biome challenge thing in the options, or at least a disable forest biome in the options so we can force it to only really generate one huge snow biome and a small thing of ocean.
but it seems its at the bottom of his to do list for some reason.
  • Chlorophyte Ore Option/Slider
  • Preview even more things: Jungle Shrines
  • Tile Spawns: Silt, Sand
  • Spawn Area: Prevent Snow too close, Choose challenge biome to spawn in
  • Altar amounts
  • Floating island size
  • Other water?
  • Giant Trees amounts.
  • Cave size
  • Obsidian Towers: Spawn, Range
  • Pregen surface mushroom biome?
  • Spawn surface hallow
  • Multiple Temples? Multiple Dungeons?
  • Generate All one biome? <---------?????
  • Starting weather?
  • Choose novel spawn locations

Another cool option would be weather always on for constant blizzard and sandstorm but not sure thats posible with just a world file. i think the hero mod has something like that though although it used to be really anoying with a watermark all over your screen.

Well, The author said if there is enough demand, it would come sooner. So we just need to up the demand more.

If anything, I just want to disable the forest biome. That or switch the forest biome code with the snow biome code so it'll be an ice land with a small patch of woods.

I'm not seeing any preview images when selecting surface background style. I'm on the latest version of Terraria and Terracustom.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom