tModLoader [1.4.4] TerraGuardians - Terraria Companions Mod

Hi, uh... I’m just here to say I really enjoy this mod, and have been wondering where to find a mod concept like this for a long time, as friends can be unreliable. So thank you, and uh.. keep up the good work! Also, I have one question, I’ve heard that guardians can actually use thorium’s healer. Is this tested at all, because if it works, well.. my thorium play through just got way easier. Anyways, bye for now ig..

Hi, uh... I’m just here to say I really enjoy this mod, and have been wondering where to find a mod concept like this for a long time, as friends can be unreliable. So thank you, and uh.. keep up the good work! Also, I have one question, I’ve heard that guardians can actually use thorium’s healer. Is this tested at all, because if it works, well.. my thorium play through just got way easier. Anyways, bye for now ig..
If companions can use Thorium's "healer" items then that's impressive. Beside right now I wonder how the mod picked It. Maybe is because of damage?

Okay so I'm trying to figure out a solution for my problem. I've allowed Terra Guardians to live in my town. Unfortunately they like to move into houses that are already occupied by an NPC and they get in the way. I can right click and remove their portrait from the house but I can't figure out how to specifically tell them where they can live as I'd like to build a separate town for the non-human terraguardians. Also you may want to specifically assign the sex of the terraguardian to match there name as a cow who spawns in as male really shouldn't be name a female name. On that note it seemed like both the cow and the human terra guardian had the same name Michelle. I renamed the cow to Michael, but again it's a cow and should be a female always unless you're going to allow a separate skin to make it look like a bull.

With all that said: How SPECIFICALLY can I tell them to live in a Specific house?

Since I’m here, I’ll just answer, so uh, the houses for guardians need to be a bit taller than most houses. You can make them move in like other npcs. Go to your inventory, on the right is the accessories and stuff. On the top of that menu you’ll see a house icon, click that, this pulls up your NPC house selection, normal npcs appear on the right, your available companions appear on the BOTTOM of your screen, if they won’t appear, you either don’t have any companions that you’ve allowed to move in, or your resolution is too low. I also have 2 questions here. One, I’m so stupid. My blue is level 5, how can I mount a guardian. Other question. These gems are appearing above enemies heads, and giving them stat boosts, way more health, tons of defence, tons of damage, or way more speed, I can’t figure out what’s causing it, I don’t believe it’s any other mods, so I’m assuming it’s this one, how can I toggle these gems from appearing, or can I? I’m on an expert mode world, is that it? I would be somewhat fine with these gem things.. but they affect bosses.. and it’s IMPOSSIBLE to try and kill eoc when it does 500+ dmg and has over 29k health. Anyways, there’s your answers, and my questions. Adios

Okay so I'm trying to figure out a solution for my problem. I've allowed Terra Guardians to live in my town. Unfortunately they like to move into houses that are already occupied by an NPC and they get in the way. I can right click and remove their portrait from the house but I can't figure out how to specifically tell them where they can live as I'd like to build a separate town for the non-human terraguardians. Also you may want to specifically assign the sex of the terraguardian to match there name as a cow who spawns in as male really shouldn't be name a female name. On that note it seemed like both the cow and the human terra guardian had the same name Michelle. I renamed the cow to Michael, but again it's a cow and should be a female always unless you're going to allow a separate skin to make it look like a bull.

With all that said: How SPECIFICALLY can I tell them to live in a Specific house?
I already answered your issue on the discord chat, but I'll post here anyways, in case someone else has this question, beside there's more to that question than you said on the discord so... well...:
When setting up where the npcs will live, instead of checking the npcs head to the right of the screen, check the bottom. On the bottom of the screen, has the head of all companions that are spawned and can live in your world. Just click on It and then click on the house you want them to live.

The way I designed the mod, multiple companions can share the same house, alongside share their house with a Terraria town npc, but I don't recommend you to aglomerate several of them on the same house.

As for the human companion and the terraguardian... The human companion name is Michelle, but the cow TerraGuardian name is Minerva. If Minerva spawned with the same name as Michelle, then maybe the mod has some weird naming bug.
You can buy an item from the Dryad which allows you to rename the companion.

As for the idea of changing the gender of the companions: I also had that idea before, but spriting both gender version of each companion would make me spend more time developing the companion before releasing, so for now, that's not doable.
If I wanted to be cheap, I could make a different body sprite for the other gender, but anyways, It's about 20 companions to add gender swapped version, without counting that I would need to review their dialogues to reflect on their gender. Without counting their skins and outfits.

Maybe in the future I'll try that, but for now, not yet.
Since I’m here, I’ll just answer, so uh, the houses for guardians need to be a bit taller than most houses. You can make them move in like other npcs. Go to your inventory, on the right is the accessories and stuff. On the top of that menu you’ll see a house icon, click that, this pulls up your NPC house selection, normal npcs appear on the right, your available companions appear on the BOTTOM of your screen, if they won’t appear, you either don’t have any companions that you’ve allowed to move in, or your resolution is too low. I also have 2 questions here. One, I’m so stupid. My blue is level 5, how can I mount a guardian. Other question. These gems are appearing above enemies heads, and giving them stat boosts, way more health, tons of defence, tons of damage, or way more speed, I can’t figure out what’s causing it, I don’t believe it’s any other mods, so I’m assuming it’s this one, how can I toggle these gems from appearing, or can I? I’m on an expert mode world, is that it? I would be somewhat fine with these gem things.. but they affect bosses.. and it’s IMPOSSIBLE to try and kill eoc when it does 500+ dmg and has over 29k health. Anyways, there’s your answers, and my questions. Adios
You could have added a line break. Anyways, here it goes:
To mount a companion, you need to make use of the order system. Generally, It's assigned to ' key, but I recommend you to check the game control settings, to see to which hotkey is It bound. Beside I recommend you to set It to a key of easy accessibility. Through the order interface, you can tell companions to do things. If you access "interaction" order, there is the "mount/dismount" action.

The gem monsters are really from this mod, and beside they make monsters stronger, they also make them give more loot in some cases. They were implemented to add an extra challenge when you're travelling with more than 1 companion in the group.
You can disable the gem monster spawning on the mod global/server settings.

Thanks for the help!

Uh.. so another thing...

I know this may sound stupid, and you may have heard this before, but.. have you considered adding custom music? I don’t mean on the WHOLE GAME, just certain areas, for example, when fighting the zombie guardian (zacks). I also don’t mean composing anything, I guarantee that there’s a good chiptune (chiptune is retro arcade style, 8-bit type music, also can be referred to as retro electronic) that you could find out there. Something that sounds similar to terraria’s soundtrack, yet different at the same time.

I can just.. I guess.. look for something that fits that miniboss fight. Something suspenseful, that captures the feeling of the bloodmoon, while not being overly dramatic. I have NO IDEA how you could get the music into the game, I have no idea how to code either, all I could do would be simply finding the music, and posting a link. Most small chiptune / electronic artists tend to have their music be open-cc, so they wouldn’t mind if you had their music in game, as long as you mention that they made it somewhere, which could simply be in the mod’s description.

Sorry if you’ve already been working on something like this, I just really enjoy this mod and wanna actually contribute to a mod I enjoy for once. If there’s no need for this, sorry for making you read a very long post. Have a good morning/ evening/ midday /idk what other times of day to say.

update: found a potential song I think has a chance of being decent, still looking, if you would like for me to, I can post a link, but it’s pretty worthless if you don’t want me to try this.

Last edited:
so that ghost make me leave game, no biggie. so started the game and the ghost is haunting me but i can't move so how in the world can i kill the one that killed it?

maybe it's conflicting with other mods or not but i suggest you remove that feature or whatever you call it because your mod is already awesome but that ghost killed the fun.

anyway i kinda fixed it by disabling and enabling your mod again.

EDIT: wait, it's not fixed. sorry got no time to disable/enable other mods so i can't pinpoint the suspect.

Last edited:
so that ghost make me leave game, no biggie. so started the game and the ghost is haunting me but i can't move so how in the world can i kill the one that killed it?

maybe it's conflicting with other mods or not but i suggest you remove that feature or whatever you call it because your mod is already awesome but that ghost killed the fun.

anyway i kinda fixed it by disabling and enabling your mod again.

EDIT: wait, it's not fixed. sorry got no time to disable/enable other mods so i can't pinpoint the suspect.
By can't move, It looks like your character is frozen and can't be touched? Maybe the character is crashing.
When you get to the game again, and that manages to happen, check if a orange text will appear on the chat.
You can also try sending me the client crash log through private message or here, so I can try investigating that. Do notice that the client crash log may only have relevant things if the issue happened the last time you opened the game.

If the issue persists, you can try using a cheat mod to remove the debuff. That will make the ghost guardian disappear, and potentially fix the issue. That wont stop her from spawning again, though.

Edit:. By the way, which of the haunts you got?
Thanks for the help!

Uh.. so another thing...

I know this may sound stupid, and you may have heard this before, but.. have you considered adding custom music? I don’t mean on the WHOLE GAME, just certain areas, for example, when fighting the zombie guardian (zacks). I also don’t mean composing anything, I guarantee that there’s a good chiptune (chiptune is retro arcade style, 8-bit type music, also can be referred to as retro electronic) that you could find out there. Something that sounds similar to terraria’s soundtrack, yet different at the same time.

I can just.. I guess.. look for something that fits that miniboss fight. Something suspenseful, that captures the feeling of the bloodmoon, while not being overly dramatic. I have NO IDEA how you could get the music into the game, I have no idea how to code either, all I could do would be simply finding the music, and posting a link. Most small chiptune / electronic artists tend to have their music be open-cc, so they wouldn’t mind if you had their music in game, as long as you mention that they made it somewhere, which could simply be in the mod’s description.

Sorry if you’ve already been working on something like this, I just really enjoy this mod and wanna actually contribute to a mod I enjoy for once. If there’s no need for this, sorry for making you read a very long post. Have a good morning/ evening/ midday /idk what other times of day to say.

update: found a potential song I think has a chance of being decent, still looking, if you would like for me to, I can post a link, but it’s pretty worthless if you don’t want me to try this.
Music is always good, and yeah, I thought about adding music to the mod, but in my thought, was actually for when the player goes knocked out cold.
The boss fight against the Zombie Guardian could surelly use a music too.
If you find any interesting music that doesn't brings me troubles, I can check It and see if It can go in the mod.

Thank you! I’ve always wanted to at least be able to suggest some content for a mod.

Tell me if this is too upbeat for the zombie guardian fight.

I feel like it captures the feeling, but it’s kinda upbeat. I’ll keep looking, but it definitely fits the feeling of most terraria audio.

What kind of feeling are you looking for when music happens as the player is knocked out?

Oh, and I forgot to include, all you would need to do with most chiptune, besides some by huge artists (noisestorm, shirobon, etc) is simply just state that it’s THEIR song in your credits somewhere, if you do that, they’re happy to allow you to use their music, sometimes it’s their purpose for making the music, and since this is a mod, not a game itself, it can’t face copyright issues. Since you don’t try and make money off of this also, it can’t face copyright issues. That’s all I guess, still looking for some more options for the miniboss fight. If you want me to try, I can look for other music for different things in the mod. Tell me what you want more thematically if the song up there doesn’t fit. :)

Last edited:
Thank you! I’ve always wanted to at least be able to suggest some content for a mod.

Tell me if this is too upbeat for the zombie guardian fight.

I feel like it captures the feeling, but it’s kinda upbeat. I’ll keep looking, but it definitely fits the feeling of most terraria audio.

What kind of feeling are you looking for when music happens as the player is knocked out?

Oh, and I forgot to include, all you would need to do with most chiptune, besides some by huge artists (noisestorm, shirobon, etc) is simply just state that it’s THEIR song in your credits somewhere, if you do that, they’re happy to allow you to use their music, sometimes it’s their purpose for making the music, and since this is a mod, not a game itself, it can’t face copyright issues. Since you don’t try and make money off of this also, it can’t face copyright issues. That’s all I guess, still looking for some more options for the miniboss fight. If you want me to try, I can look for other music for different things in the mod. Tell me what you want more thematically if the song up there doesn’t fit. :)
I thought for a moment that Shovel Knight was a kind of Contra like game, when listening to that music. It is waaaaaaay too upbeat, and doesn't really match the scare It gives to one who first meets him.

As for the ko music: when the player is knocked out cold, It just lies on the floor, passed out, waiting for rescue. Basically a kind of defeated state.
A kind of sad music would do, I think.

I see, something more tense, but still with the chiptune feel. I’ll keep looking.

I don’t have any song ideas right this minute for being knocked out, but I have an idea for how the music could act. It could be soft, most of the time, but as you heal, it gets quieter, and quieter, when you have enough health (maybe like 99 percent hp) it shuts off all together, and when low on hp (maybe 15 percent?) it’s at max volume, it would stay if you end up dying, until you respawn. This is when you’re knocked out, not at other times. The only issue I see with this, while it would be cool, would be that it could jump from pretty quiet to moderately loud if you take a lot of damage. Idk, just a thought.

Do you care if the music is chiptune? I could find some 8-bit sounding synth or techno music that can fit your suspense fix. I’ll also be working on the K.O music.

update: isn’t as suspenseful, and doesn’t sound like terraria music, but it captures the feeing of a frantic battle, I get this probably isn’t all that good, but it’s worth a try.

Still working out the K.O music, I have a few candidates.

Last edited:
Alright, I’ll find something smaller that isn’t game related.

Edit: I think im gonna make it myself.. I’ve got a surprise music concept I think you would enjoy, it’ll add suspense. Making music isn’t all that fast.. so uh, expect a few days before i release my first song, I plan to make 3. I know you need 2, but one is related to another. ;)

I may not be the next DM Dokuro, but I promise I’ll get something quality to you, if I take a while longer than stated, please note it’s because I hope to make quality over quantity. I’ve made other kinds of electronic music before, just not chiptune, so I may need a bit to get used to the software, after that, I’ll do regular updates as it gets closer to completion. Thanks for this opportunity!

Update 1: I’ve got the lengths of each song roughly estimated.
Song 1: 30-45 seconds
Song 2: 1:30-2 minutes
Song 3: minute-ish.

Song 1 -> approaching zombie guardian, feeling of being watched, eerie
Song 2 -> theme of zombie guardian, tense, surprised beginning, fast paced.
Song 3 -> Plays when knocked out, slightly tense, defeated sounding.

Next update I’ll say completion levels for each, I plan to take today to learn the software, I’ve found the VST I plan to use, and I’m excited to start. I plan to keep the chiptune feel of terraria music, while being almost completely original. I plan to do song 1 and song 2 first. Also, on the next update, I should have names for some of the themes, if anyone has ideas, fire away.

Update 2!: Got song name ideas, installed the chiptune VST I plan to use. (PULS) I’m currently goofing off with it, seeing all it can do.

name ideas (tell me what ya think, these are just a start)

song 1: Gaze of the undead

song 2: Flesh-eater’s frenzy

Song 3: In need of assistance

like these?

This post is running VERY long, so I won’t give any updates until someone else comments, so I don’t make this even longer. I’ll also start condensing the updates into larger, but less frequent ones. If anyone has name ideas for the songs, just comment ig. If I don’t get any by the time I finish the song then, well, I’ll keep what I’ve got.

Update 3: :( sad news. My 5 year old laptop won’t work whenever I try and put a chiptune plug into my DAW, so this means I can’t make
The music currently. On the bright side! My birthday is in less than 3 weeks, and I’m getting a decent pc setup! It’ll be able to handle it for sure! I plan to map out my songs, so when I get the pc, I’ll be much quicker in making them. So sorry about this delay, I hope it doesn’t bother anyone too much, but I promise once my pc is setup, (maybe around early July, as my birthday is on the 4th of July.) I’ll be straight to work, so sorry! And I know I said I wouldn’t make this post longer, but I felt this was necessary.

Last edited:
Uh.. I got another song idea.. is this too many... anyways.. idk.. something that just plays when you get close to the ghost fox guardian? Some quiet, spooky, and slow music. Hearing the upbeat funky terraria underground music just didn’t feel all that mysterious when I found the guardian. Is this too many songs.. should I just get the 3 out first when I get the chance and add on later..? Sorry I talk so much. Lol

If you plan on being versatile, focus on one at a time. If you try doing them all at the same time, you'll only trip on your own feet.
Anyways, a music for when being chased by the ghost fox guardian would surelly bump the tension.

If you plan on being versatile, focus on one at a time. If you try doing them all at the same time, you'll only trip on your own feet.
Anyways, a music for when being chased by the ghost fox guardian would surelly bump the tension.
Great advice! I’ll start with the zombie guardian themes. Then the KO theme, then anything else I come up with.

Holy crap… I’ve never read about some of the crap modded music makers have had to put up with when it comes to their devs! Or even worse, their communities. Thank you for not being one of those devs… you know what I mean.. *cough* ALPHAKIP *cough* Anyways, quick update, my pc is in, and my monitor is ordered. I got a pc I’m very happy with, and music should be developing very much on the track I had in mind. Thanks for your patience!

Back
Top Bottom