tModLoader [1.4.4] TerraGuardians - Terraria Companions Mod

Hi, first at all, thanks for this mod, I very like N Terraria for the NPPlayers and this ported to normal/modded terraria it's great <3.

And now, some questions and sugestions:

1. Could you explain to me what behavior changes when you modify the guardian tactics->combat_combat behavior (left / middle / right) ?
  2. Do mod accessories work or only vanilla ?
  3. What class does each guardian belong to? Or what is the "guardian gameplay style" ?
  4. It would be nice if the "button order" (right click) can be changed, so it don't interfere with other mods, for example using a charge of a weapon.
  5. If I change the guardian size, it can fit in any npc house ? And that size is only aesthetic or does it affect your attacks?
  6. There are a issue with yoyos behavior when a guardian use it, the attack comes from the player and not from the guardian (visually).
  7. I notice that any glowstick don't work on guardians. I would like it to work especially the spelunker glowstick 😉
  8. It is possible that the guardians are affecting the maximum number of summons than a player can have ? because suddenly it changes from a fixed number to unlimited, or it's may be another mod, I can test it yet.

Best reggards.
Hey there. Here's my reply.
  1. Those tactics changes the behavior of the guardian in combat, from left to right, is how close to the target It will be. Left most will make it snipe their target from a far distance. The right one will make the guardian always try attacking on melee, so It will charge in the direction of their target. The center one is a kind of ranged combat, It will try to keep some distance from their target, but will attempt to do melee attacks when their target gets near.
  2. Nope. I'm still trying to figure out how to add compatibility to other mods content to TerraGuardians. But right now, It will be like placing a Shackle on your TerraGuardian.
  3. You make it. I created the TerraGuardians each with their own statistics and style. But nothing stops you from making it be... Anything you want. You can, for example, make a guardian that has high defense be a mage. Looks weird? Yes, but why not?
  4. I added an option to change that to the Q button. Check the mod options later.
  5. The guardian size option wont affect the npc housing. Even if you set the guardian to have about your character size, It will still need x tiles tall house to live. And the size is partially aesthetic. I say partially, because positioning of items, or even your character, or the guardian itself depending on the situation is changed. So for example, if you use a tall guardian on a 3 tiles tall gap, It will have troubles aiming at monsters behind it, a problem that guardians set to your size wont have. Other than that, It's just a question of taste, if you like to have the guardians to your size, flip that switch on.
  6. Weapons that spawns projectiles for attack have problems (I'm not talking about bows and guns), so you may want either to use with caution, or avoid using items like Yoyos, Flails or Spears (for some reason they no longer deal damage).
  7. That's weird, I guess I messed up something. Beside even if It did work, the spelunker glowstick wouldn't work as you intended, but I'll see if I can change that after I fix that issue.
  8. I doubt it, I play as a summoner most of the time, and I didn't had that issue. Some mod you are using may be causing that.
Enjoy. :)

It looks like i ran into an issue when switching the button order. Even when i use the default Q, or any other button, it just blinks so i cant command the guardians. When i switch it back to right click, it works as intended.

Another TerraGuardians update is out.
Guardian npcs will no longer keep the doors shut when they just closed it, and are near it.
Fixed item scale when the guardian is holding it.
There is a change on how the order window will work now.
I've found out that the by registering a hotkey, it adds an option on the controls menu to change that hotkey, that means you can change how you'll call the order window through the control settings.​
That also means there is no more toggle between how the order window will be called, but by default, It is set the default value to RMB.​
In case the order window isn't being called, go in your control settings and either set a key to the command, or just click to reset to default.​
The guardian will now try using glowsticks when they are not underwater.
Spelunker glowstick also has It's effect.​
Glowsticks held by the guardians will now produce light.
You can now know the cans and can'ts of the guardian on the Guardian Selection Inteface.
The mouse text on GSI gained a few more spacing away from the cursor.
The guardian dialogues are now lists, instead of an fixed length array.
Beside the patch notes aren't huge, the reason why It changed from Version 35 to 36, is because the guardians dialogue system has changed. Probably now is a lot better to add new dialogues to TerraGuardians.

Pay attention to the keybindings on your control options, check out if the button to call the Order Hud is set correctly, If Isn't, you can either click to reset it, or set it to any key you want. I guess that might fix a problem.

Also, the next TerraGuardian may be coming this week, I'm sure no longer will be hard for you to stack life increasing items for her, but... Yeah, Just for your information.

It would be stupid of me to say that It isn't because It doesn't happen to me.
But some other mod may be conflicting with TG mod. Probably when the status masking Guardian <-> Player happens.

... Probably when the status masking Guardian <-> Player happens.

It could be, since it happens only when I have a guardian invoked, if the guardians are in their homes, I can only summon the correct number of minions.

Maybe this data can help you find where the conflict is generated.

By the way, when I have other mods loaded, the keybind of this mod does not appear in the game menu (more conflicts).

Bye.

It could be, since it happens only when I have a guardian invoked, if the guardians are in their homes, I can only summon the correct number of minions.

Maybe this data can help you find where the conflict is generated.

By the way, when I have other mods loaded, the keybind of this mod does not appear in the game menu (more conflicts).

Bye.
Well, the guardian itself can't have It's own summons yet somewhat, so I guess It's better if I remove that masking.

And the keybinding not showing up when having other mods is really bad, beside I think that's actually a tModLoader bug.
At least you can change it by disabling the other mods and changing the keybinding, then enabling the mods again.

A new update has landed.
Brutus will now complain about the chairs.
Guardians will no longer try closing non existing doors.
You can no longer grow relationship with your guardian faster by leaving several alcoholic drinks on their inventory. The amount of drinks they will take before gaining friendship point was drastically increased.
You can no longer manage the guardian inventory and equipments while It teleported to sell your items on the town.
The guardians will receive less bonus from melee attack speed bonus when using heavy weapons.
The melee attack speed penalty deduced is the diference of attack speed and 1, dividing the result by half. AtkSpd - (AtkSpd - 1) * 0.5.​
Passing the mouse over the guardian status bars will now show you useful infos.
Buff descriptions will no longer be obstructed by "2P Press Start" text.
Greatly compressed the sprite animations drawn in front of the guardian. Now there will be only the necessary frame for it, and the mod will know when to call that frame sprite.
Guardians that can drink alcoholic stuffs will no longer behave like an alcohol addict. Now they will only try drinking alchoholic stuffs when in battle.
The game will no longer show an empty pricing message when the guardian teleports to sell items without value.
The Jungle Star and the Flamberge has gained a damage boost.
Setting the guardian combat AI to charge will now make magic item using guardians try melee when near their target.
Fixed a confusion on the guardian npc position prediction, that would cause It to have problems using certain magic items.
Now the item predictions only affects guns and bows.​
Changed the stuck checker of the guardian. Now If the guardian hop on the wall for long, It will try reaching your character.
New TerraGuardian added: Bree the Cat Guardian.
"She's reffered as Cat Wife Guardian in the game, since Sardine has taken that name."​

The newest TerraGuardian has arrived on the mod: Bree.

fcs1.png
"I have been searching world by world, for years, looking for my stupid husband. Have you seen him?"

Her quote is automatically very descriptive, she is looking for her husband, I can't possibly wonder who's he. She Is trying desperatedly to find him so they could go back home, but definitelly nothing could post pone what she has planned for them.
If you either manage to find who she's looking for, or simply persuade her to stay at your world for a while, she might be able to help you during the time she's at your world. At least once you have gained her trust, so be sure to help her with anything she asks you. If possible.

As for the mod, I guess I'll relax a bit on the scripting of it, and try adding more guardians for you to meet. I've made the base sprite of two, being that one of them will kind of have a late arrival, since I should have begun making It before Christmas arrived. But nothing stops me from using that at my advantage, to explain why she shows up late.

The other guardian, I have a serious problem that I have to solve, ever since I begun practicing spriting. Sketching crossed arms. My behind is being kicked everytime I try to sketch that, but I guess I'll manage to do it right, If I figure out how arms work. Hehe.

Well, Enjoy. By the way, I recommend you to try persuading Bree first, If you want to recruit her quickly.

The results of the first TerraGuardians Popularity Contest is here.

Blue is January's Most Valuable Guardian!
Thanks everyone for voting on your favorite TerraGuardians. Be sure to give your vote on this month contest, when It goes live.

See ya!

Edit:. February popularity contest votings are up!
Vote on your favorite TerraGuardians.

Last edited:
And then, Nemesis has gained some love.
Voting link changed to February.
Added the Protection Mode AI.
This AI will make the guardian focus on defending you from the threats near your character.
The guardian will more likelly be pulled to your position if it goes away a few number of blocks while in combat.
The AI wont be under effect if you tell the guardian to guard some place.
Having your guardian with a friendship level that allows it to place the coins gained from the sales on your piggy bank, will now make it also store coins and medals in their inventory too.
They have already access to your piggy bank, right? Why not send them to store your coins too? There's even a special dialogue for that!
Nemesis can now transform into Werewolf or Merman depending on It's buffs.
You can force the transformation as vanity, by placing a Moon Charm (for werewolf) or a Neptune's Shell (for merman) on one of the first inventory slots.
Nemesis also gained a few revamps.
Now It will show the red eyes no matter how visible it is.
Will also show the red eyes when transformed.
Player model based guardians will no longer hover over ground.
Fixed the fade out effect.
Reduced the fade cooldown from 30 seconds, to 15.
It will be drawn in front of the mount, when sitting on the player mount.
Body animation will now use the Left Arm animation.
A number of those changes are valid for any other player based companion added to the mod. If end up having any.
It may sound stupid, but the popularity contest has improved my motivation to keep this mod going, and due to the fact that a lot of people actually liked to have Nemesis as their companion, I did some additions and fixes to It.

Just for you to know, I will still need help to debug the multiplayer of the mod, I wont be able to launch a definitive version of the mod with multiplayer, If I be unable to debug it with other people, even more since I develop anything on a 2GB RAM computer, so I don't have spare memory to run 2 Terrarias at the same time (It wouldn't be a problem if the game were version 1.2 or less).

Also, I'm making 2 new TerraGuardians meanwhile, they may show up in the future as either leak or update.

Enjoy :).

I'm not totally sure what the three dots mean in the combat settings. Also, sometimes Rococo will teleport me to him and it's a bit... jarring.

I'm not totally sure what the three dots mean in the combat settings. Also, sometimes Rococo will teleport me to him and it's a bit... jarring.
Left dot = Snipe AI, will attack the target from far away with a ranged weapon disponible. Will avoid melee attack, unless that is It's only option.
Middle Dot = Assist AI, will try avoiding staying near the target in combat, keeping some distance while shotting, but will try melee combat if the target gets too close, and has a melee weapon in the inventory.
Right dot = Charge AI, the guardian will try getting near the enemy to engage melee combat, will use either any ranged or magic weapon disponible when trying to reach the target.

And... I think that Rococo teleporting you to him sometimes is actually a bug, do you have any more information about it? Like, when it happens, or some other info?

Well, I can't really see any thing all that common in times it happens besides when I walk on top of the town NPC farm and he's below it, almost every time he will teleport me to him. I can't tell what causes it to happen during combat, but it seems to happen when he's too far away and can't figure out how to get to you and doesn't want to use the grappling hook?

Edit: Don't know if it's an imcompatibility with the mods I have but when I have this mod enabled my minion slots constantly fluctuate and keep going up. I should have 5 but I somehow got to close to 80

Last edited:
Wait, now I'm confused. Rococo teleports you to his position, or Rococo teleports to your position?
Also, If Rococo teleports you to his position when shotting, that may mean the player masking system I added is failing somehow.
Or maybe It's the aggro masking that is failing. I don't know.
I'll have to investigate that.

Also, I think the above is related to your summon issue too, but more on the projectile part. Even though I disabled the summon count masking, I guess there's something breaking it.

He teleports me to him. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
I think the aggro masking is glitching out.
The aggro masking swaps temporarily your character position with the guardian position before the monster AI plays, when the guardian is nearer to the monster than your character. But for some reason, It seems like the modloader isn't running the script of restoring the player position after the monster AI happens. Possibly that happens because some mod is stopping the monster AI, but If the mod makes people stop using other mods because of such problems, then the mod Itself turns into a problem.

I'll see If I can change how the guardian aggro system will work. The bad is that I can't think of any work around you can use meanwhile, since even while mounted on the guardian, the "teleport" may happen. No, wait, It wont, but It will still be annoying if you be bound to the guardian literally until the problem be solved.

I've launched a hotfix. Check out if the issue is fixed after... It's launch.
Guardians using magic weapons and with Charge AI will now try approaching their targets.
Some minibosses have the chance of spawning as bounty target on Hardmode.
A number of weapons gained their shotting attributes, like spread and multiple shots.
The mod will now try giving directly the coins and medals acquired from guardian sale If there is actually any coin to give.
Guardians just pulled to player position, or dismounting from player mount/back will have the same speed as the player.
The mod will no longer give you more summons than you can have.
Guardians can now sit on Thrones, Benches and use Beds. Rococo's new animation for both were disabled before the update upload.
It may end up have solved both the teleporting and summon bugs. At least the summon bug I'm sure is fixed, because I discovered that the projectile ai script had... An extra line.

Enjoy. If you see the bug again, report.

Edit:. Video showcasing Bree in a battle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom