tModLoader [1.4.4] TerraGuardians - Terraria Companions Mod

I mean, there's the Gender Change Potion, I could simply add an order to make Nemesis use it when It's on the inventory.
I will just have to hold myself not to add gender swapped version of existing guardians to the mod.

Is the option to take control of a guardian still a work-in-progress maybe? I'm not exactly sure how it's supposed to work, but all it does for me is make Terraria crash.

That makes me think, it'd be nice to have a config setting to hide it.
Uh... The crashlog can help fixing that issue, beside I most of the time use the player control to test new guardians animations and placements, so I didn't had any crash with it, yet (beside quite a number of players said that It's pointless).

And actually, the entire order system needs a revamp, because there's way too many actions in It, but before I revamp the system, I'll have to find a way of making it quick to give orders without cluttering the screen.

By the way, pick one: Male or Female Lamia? Or both?

First, i love this mod already. I like what you've done with it and i already see a couple play throughs with it. Keep up the good work.

second, i have a question about heart crystals and how to get my guardian to consume one. i've tried both a regular heart crystal and the ether crystal. i've tried most of the tings i thought would make him consume it, but i'm still at a loss.

First, i love this mod already. I like what you've done with it and i already see a couple play throughs with it. Keep up the good work.

second, i have a question about heart crystals and how to get my guardian to consume one. i've tried both a regular heart crystal and the ether crystal. i've tried most of the tings i thought would make him consume it, but i'm still at a loss.
You Can Hold The Guardian Control Button And Then Order Your Guardian To Take The Mana/Life Cristal/Fruit

Capture 2020-04-16 18_38_18.png
I Was Like "What The F*** Is That?!" When I Saw Rococo Like That Lol
EDIT: Still Pretty Nice Everything And The Animation When They Is In Bed Are Nice

Melee guardians can't attack short enemies, like those 1 block tall ones, for example, slimes, spiders(when they are on the ground), when sllimes jump up, guardians can attack again, i don't know if it's a problem with all guardians or just those tall ones, in my case, zacks, and maybe even alex, they stay idle when fighting low positioning enemies, i used the statue to test, and zacks only stood there and let the spiders beat him with no comebacks, i'm pretty sure this is not supposed to happen. At first i thought this is a specific feature about zacks, how foolish.

And some minor things, short guardians seem to have the most advantage with furnitures, either witth chairs or beds, those four block tall big buddies can't even sleep with their feet on the bed, feel sorry for them. And leopold, bragging about reading books all day, yet i never see him with any book in his free time, but when he's asleep, now he has a book, used as a cover for light it seems, so that's how he read, in his dream. By the way, really nice about the bunny hop with leopold, i even gave him the bunny foot(or is it tail?), feels a bit weird though, carrying your own species' body parts.

And last, quick question, why does zack need to sleep? Do zombies need to stay healthy too? Hmm maybe you can make him sleep during the daytime, if that's possible, it'll be more reasonable. Afterall, zombies come out at night. ("Grrrrrrrrrr~~, I'm gay.")

I'm glad to see that you're liking it. Enjoy your new buddies.

As for the second, I'm sure DinoZers said the solution. In case you can't call the order window, check the control options for the order button, and set it to a key you can easily access. Hold it in-game, and a new menu will appear, just move the mouse in the direction of the order you want to give.
View attachment 267373 I Was Like "What The F*** Is That?!" When I Saw Rococo Like That Lol
EDIT: Still Pretty Nice Everything And The Animation When They Is In Bed Are Nice
I had a few proportion issues when making their sitting animations, some guardians have the animation working nice, others... Well, at least they can use the furnitures hehe.
Melee guardians can't attack short enemies, like those 1 block tall ones, for example, slimes, spiders(when they are on the ground), when sllimes jump up, guardians can attack again, i don't know if it's a problem with all guardians or just those tall ones, in my case, zacks, and maybe even alex, they stay idle when fighting low positioning enemies, i used the statue to test, and zacks only stood there and let the spiders beat him with no comebacks, i'm pretty sure this is not supposed to happen. At first i thought this is a specific feature about zacks, how foolish.

And some minor things, short guardians seem to have the most advantage with furnitures, either witth chairs or beds, those four block tall big buddies can't even sleep with their feet on the bed, feel sorry for them. And leopold, bragging about reading books all day, yet i never see him with any book in his free time, but when he's asleep, now he has a book, used as a cover for light it seems, so that's how he read, in his dream. By the way, really nice about the bunny hop with leopold, i even gave him the bunny foot(or is it tail?), feels a bit weird though, carrying your own species' body parts.

And last, quick question, why does zack need to sleep? Do zombies need to stay healthy too? Hmm maybe you can make him sleep during the daytime, if that's possible, it'll be more reasonable. Afterall, zombies come out at night. ("Grrrrrrrrrr~~, I'm gay.")
I know about the issue where guardians can't attack mobs shorter than them on melee, I'm still trying to think how I'll fix that issue. Beside as consolation, guardians don't know either when to stay ducking or not, so they will repeatedly do that when they feel that they need to duck to attack monsters (I don't know when, either). Yep, two bugs for me to bash, yay!

As for large guardians having problems using furnitures is a known issue, I've fixed the problem on the version on development. I really messed up part of their new AI to look for furnitures. They will also be able to look for furnitures on platforms inside their houses too (I'm pretty sure that will result into bugs, but let's see the result). I didn't really thought of any other moments Leopold could be reading a book, maybe I could add an Idle AI for that, I just need to think how It would be triggered.

As for Zacks, he doesn't sleeps. If you notice, he's awaken the entire time he's in bed, beside isn't supposed for the Zs to appear. I were thinking about adding dialogues for when talking to the guardians when they are sleeping (like happens when using the toilet). I'm very sure he's probably bored when at the bed. I mean... Staring the ceiling for hours.

I know about the issue where guardians can't attack mobs shorter than them on melee, I'm still trying to think how I'll fix that issue. Beside as consolation, guardians don't know either when to stay ducking or not, so they will repeatedly do that when they feel that they need to duck to attack monsters (I don't know when, either). Yep, two bugs for me to bash, yay!

As for large guardians having problems using furnitures is a known issue, I've fixed the problem on the version on development. I really messed up part of their new AI to look for furnitures. They will also be able to look for furnitures on platforms inside their houses too (I'm pretty sure that will result into bugs, but let's see the result). I didn't really thought of any other moments Leopold could be reading a book, maybe I could add an Idle AI for that, I just need to think how It would be triggered.

As for Zacks, he doesn't sleeps. If you notice, he's awaken the entire time he's in bed, beside isn't supposed for the Zs to appear. I were thinking about adding dialogues for when talking to the guardians when they are sleeping (like happens when using the toilet). I'm very sure he's probably bored when at the bed. I mean... Staring the ceiling for hours.
New dialogues or not, maybe make it so after talking with guardians during their sleep, they won't get up, it's kinda funny to see them get up and go into bed and get up and go to sleep again and again, if it's possible, if not, then there is no need, no impact.

Interesting enough though, if i take their melee weapons away, and left them bare handed, they will begin to attack shorter mobs. With their fists and with proper ducking.

Sometimes i notice the guardians sit on chairs and get off chairs repeatedly, probably AI thing, but to be more specific, the chair is in their room, if they sit on chairs in other NPC's room, it's fine. Might be mistaken in details, but the sit and off probelm does exist. And perhaps it's because of the time of the day, maybe it only appears in night time, when all npcs stay in their own rooms, and stand still, so when they sit they automatically stand up again, i don't know anymore, since i've already changed their furnitures from chairs to beds. Now they sleep instead of freaking out with chairs, and during daytime, they could sit on other people's chairs. Problem solved. For me.

New dialogues or not, maybe make it so after talking with guardians during their sleep, they won't get up, it's kinda funny to see them get up and go into bed and get up and go to sleep again and again, if it's possible, if not, then there is no need, no impact.

Interesting enough though, if i take their melee weapons away, and left them bare handed, they will begin to attack shorter mobs. With their fists and with proper ducking.

Sometimes i notice the guardians sit on chairs and get off chairs repeatedly, probably AI thing, but to be more specific, the chair is in their room, if they sit on chairs in other NPC's room, it's fine. Might be mistaken in details, but the sit and off probelm does exist. And perhaps it's because of the time of the day, maybe it only appears in night time, when all npcs stay in their own rooms, and stand still, so when they sit they automatically stand up again, i don't know anymore, since i've already changed their furnitures from chairs to beds. Now they sleep instead of freaking out with chairs, and during daytime, they could sit on other people's chairs. Problem solved. For me.
I know of the bug where the guardians reset their AI when you close their dialogue. I'll try fixing it.

The guardians... Not knowing how they want to spend the night until they go sleep is also a bug that I have fixed on the update in development.

Damn, I really have to release the update.
I'm so slow.

If it's less trouble to do just one, the female lamia would be nicer to have around, plus it's more likely expected to be female if there is one. They're typically female, in most media.

Some people might appreciate having a male option though, but only worry about that if you have the motivation to do so.
Oh and maybe the eyes could be basically like the lamia enemy. Might as well.

🤔 Assuming I know what's being asked about here.
I can try adding the Lamia mob as a follower.
This is really cool... I do prefer having humanoid companions rather than giant animals tbh, but I guess thats what Nemesis is for...
Not really, I added Nemesis because I wanted someone else to wear the halloween outfits I were getting from Goodie Bags (It even makes comments related to that in It's dialogues). And so It was born. But nothing really stops me from adding humanoid companions (other than spriting and stuff).

As I mentioned before, I have ideas for a Terrarian companion, but I never actually begun making her.

I like that idea of using Nemesis as a way to put vanity stuff to use, but his/her feet are still visible with some things.
I also tried the Djinn's Curse, but on Nemesis, it looks the same as its appearance on a mannequin.
Djinn%27s_Curse.png
Djinn%27s_Curse_%28equipped%29.gif
Djinn%27s_Curse_Mannequin.png

Using the Reaper set for now.
Reaper_set.png

🤔 I wonder if things like the wolf or merman accessories affect Nemesis's appearance, but probably not. At least definitely not the Siren's Heart from Calamity, though there'd still be feet in that case.
I fixed that particularity on Lamia and Mermaid Legs equipments on Nemesis on the in dev update.
As for Djinn's curse, It seems to use a different way of drawing the... Flame. I'll have to find out what the devs did before implementing the feet. And fun fact, the mannequin actually shows the standing animation frame of the Djinn's curse sprite.

Also, Nemesis can use both Werewolf and Merman outfits as vanity gear, It will be shown in the transformed form, and the color effect of Nemesis body will affect them too.

how does nemesis work? he isnt just a regular player, is he? how does coding accessories for guardians work? do you have to individually code every accessory to work with the guardians?

Last edited:
I didn't think it was working at first, but then night came.
View attachment 267435
That's actually pretty cool.
If you leave a Moon Charm or a Neptune's Shell in one of the first 10 inventory slots, It will use it as a vanity all the time.
That is also valid to some items that are useful as vanity gear too.
how does nemesis work? he isnt just a regular player, is he? how does coding accessories for guardians work? do you have to individually code every accessory to work with the guardians?
Nemesis works like any other companion in the mod, but with the differences that It is based on the player model, and you can't make use of some interactions with it, like mounting.
Due to the companions in the mod not deriving the player, I had to program in their script the effect of items, armor, accessory and stuff. A lot of items has their effects, aswell as sets and accessories, but there will be a number of them broken.

Back
Top Bottom