tModLoader [1.4.4] TerraGuardians - Terraria Companions Mod

Well, I have tips. First, actually spend time on your sprites and compare them to the original terraria characters and see if they're good enough. For example, the starting wolf companion could have some fur detail and better shading. The companion armors could use some more detail, better shape and shading.
Yeah, but shading is extremelly complicated, even more since I don't really have much vision of depth on colors (some of the guardian sprites shows that). And the time I would spend making better shading on sprites, I invest enhancing the mod systems. So even though It has bad graphics, the system compensates.
Me? I'm glad the sprite is like this, even more since It could have been far worse, since initially I wasn't even bothering about adding light shading.

New huge update is out!
Mothron Eggs will no longer be affected by the gems health boost.
Fixed the speed of the Onix Blaster projectile.
Nerfed Vladimir maximum run speed. He's no longer faster than Rococo. On other hand, Jump Speed buffed.
Changed the way guardians will behave in combat, when confused and using the new combat AI.
Nemesis is now given free during Halloween event.
Asking Vladimir npc to hug you for a number of seconds will now give you a buff that increases many status.
The buff is applied every 10 seconds, It's duration can increase up to 3 times.​
Some guardians will no longer "sink on the ground" upon leaving some furniture due to combat.
The name given to the guardian will be treated as a kind of "nickname". On the guardian selection interface, the original name will be displayed next to the nickname.
Changed the way the mod arranges the way guardians are drawn. Possibly no floating body parts when another guardian is in the range, or a floating player.
The guardian will no longer be passive If you idle for 3 minutes.
Made the bounty quest accessories rare again, because they were showing up too frequently.
Guardians now recognizes Golden Toilet as a Toilet.
Ichor and Betsy's Curse debuffs makes It easier to break the guard of 3 gems or higher monsters.
Monsters with the guard broken will not gain the extra defense bonus.
The mod will no longer throw party for companions that aren't in the world, but will still tell you that It's the companion birthday.
The guardian will now try leaving furnitures, If they are using them when performing certain actions you tell them to do.
There is no longer the possibility of skyrocketting yourself by trying to control a guardian you're mounted on.
A number of effects now affects the guardians, and wont affect your player when It is caught by it. They are:
-Petrification from Medusa.​
-Obstruction from Brain Suckler.​
-The ogre spit AOE debuff.​
-Wither Beast's... Wither effect.​
1 Gem level monsters will no longer spawn when you have only one guardian following you.
Added an option to allow making all guardians you have, have their maximum health and mana based on the number of status increase items used on your characters.
Added a script to increase guardians maximum health, If your character has more than 500 maximum life.
This change is intended to help in case you use mods that increases their maximum health.​
Monsters gains 10% knockback resistance per gem ranking.
Gem bosses now have the chance of giving extra loot.
Fixed Leopold's mount sitting animation, now there is light shading on his left(right) leg.
You no longer need to have at least one companion summoned to count kill quests.
Added a reaction to Vladimir on Leopold's recruitment dialogue.
Added a button to hide/show the inventory interface related to the guardians.
Added an option to allow setting the guardians maximum health/mana to be player like.
Added an option to turn on/off the skills system.
Turning it off, disables the leveling and status bonus gain from that.​
Sharkrons now receives boss modifiers.
Sharkrons are the sharks that spawns from tornadoes released by Duke Fishron.​
Guardian renaming command now allows composite names.
Do notice, the length of the name must be between 2 and 16 characters.​
The npc used by guardians town npcs will no longer drown.
The Guardian selection interface will now show the number of second and third places the guardians appeared in contests.
Your character is now immune to harm when being hugged by Vladimir NPC.
The mod now tells the direction where Bree appeared.
You'll need to know the directions of that flower whose name I forgot to aid on finding her.​
Added Vladimir's recruitment method.
Guardians will now ask you for Bezoars If the Queen Bee has been previously defeated.
Guardians fall height in blocks tolerance changed from 25 to 15.
Terrarian like.​
Added a reason not to be hugged by Vladimir during Bloodmoons.
I'm talking about his Npc version.​
Changed the way npcs dialogues are selected.
Added Tax Collector dialogues about Leopold and Vladimir.
I also missed when I launched updates with huge patch notes.

Of course, I'll try comenting about some of the changes.

The latest guardian launched gained a few changes and fixes, aswell as got his "hug" system expanded, so now If you don't want to hear him chatting randomly, or simply gain friendship level with him in a lazy and slow way, you can just be hugged to get a buff that stacks up to an hour and thirty minutes (1 hour and 30 minutes). I don't mean 1 hour and 30 minutes of Terraria time. You can also make the leader guardian be able to gain the buff too, by making your character be hugged when controlling the guardian. But by doing that, you wont get stacks on the buff. Maybe I should make so both the player and leader guardian can be hugged?

The gems difficulty system (which I also call modifiers (With D, not B (I don't think many people will get why I said this (Too many parenthesis)))) got a few tweaks. I made so Mothron eggs don't get health boost from them, because they were making survival on the eclipse be a big pain in the area, even more when you have several gem mothron babies ramming you around.
I also added the possibility of getting extra loot from defeating gem bosses. That extra loot doesn't actually obey the loot rules of Terraria, so they will always give the chance of dropping materials and potions, and if the boss has equipments, weapon and accessories, will give a chance of dropping an extra of those. That chance may stack depending on the number of guardians following you, so you can have up to 2 chances of getting extra loot from bosses, by having a full party of 5 companions with full health.

I think those changes to gem monsters will make them more interesting and rewarding to face, but I still have drops to give to monsters, but I'm still formulating what should monsters offer. I can't decide between a custom currency, or a morph ore (ore that can be morphed into another ore type).

A number of debuffs that are inflicted by scripts on the player were also implemented for TerraGuardians to be affected, includding the Medusa's Petrification. I'm itching myself to begin making their stoned sprites, but until then, enjoy the frozen grayed guardians.

And npcs used by guardians as masks no longer drowns!! Yay!! Well, at least I added a script to make them not drown, but if you want to try making a guardian live in a house filled with water (If that is even possible), you can give it a try.

And also, the most important change of the entire patch note. Fixed the Onix Blaster. *Huge crowd cheering sounds*

Well, I guess that's all for my comments on the update.
Enjoy the changes : )

New huge update is out!
Mothron Eggs will no longer be affected by the gems health boost.
Fixed the speed of the Onix Blaster projectile.
Nerfed Vladimir maximum run speed. He's no longer faster than Rococo. On other hand, Jump Speed buffed.
Changed the way guardians will behave in combat, when confused and using the new combat AI.
Nemesis is now given free during Halloween event.
Asking Vladimir npc to hug you for a number of seconds will now give you a buff that increases many status.
The buff is applied every 10 seconds, It's duration can increase up to 3 times.​
Some guardians will no longer "sink on the ground" upon leaving some furniture due to combat.
The name given to the guardian will be treated as a kind of "nickname". On the guardian selection interface, the original name will be displayed next to the nickname.
Changed the way the mod arranges the way guardians are drawn. Possibly no floating body parts when another guardian is in the range, or a floating player.
The guardian will no longer be passive If you idle for 3 minutes.
Made the bounty quest accessories rare again, because they were showing up too frequently.
Guardians now recognizes Golden Toilet as a Toilet.
Ichor and Betsy's Curse debuffs makes It easier to break the guard of 3 gems or higher monsters.
Monsters with the guard broken will not gain the extra defense bonus.
The mod will no longer throw party for companions that aren't in the world, but will still tell you that It's the companion birthday.
The guardian will now try leaving furnitures, If they are using them when performing certain actions you tell them to do.
There is no longer the possibility of skyrocketting yourself by trying to control a guardian you're mounted on.
A number of effects now affects the guardians, and wont affect your player when It is caught by it. They are:
-Petrification from Medusa.​
-Obstruction from Brain Suckler.​
-The ogre spit AOE debuff.​
-Wither Beast's... Wither effect.​
1 Gem level monsters will no longer spawn when you have only one guardian following you.
Added an option to allow making all guardians you have, have their maximum health and mana based on the number of status increase items used on your characters.
Added a script to increase guardians maximum health, If your character has more than 500 maximum life.
This change is intended to help in case you use mods that increases their maximum health.​
Monsters gains 10% knockback resistance per gem ranking.
Gem bosses now have the chance of giving extra loot.
Fixed Leopold's mount sitting animation, now there is light shading on his left(right) leg.
You no longer need to have at least one companion summoned to count kill quests.
Added a reaction to Vladimir on Leopold's recruitment dialogue.
Added a button to hide/show the inventory interface related to the guardians.
Added an option to allow setting the guardians maximum health/mana to be player like.
Added an option to turn on/off the skills system.
Turning it off, disables the leveling and status bonus gain from that.​
Sharkrons now receives boss modifiers.
Sharkrons are the sharks that spawns from tornadoes released by Duke Fishron.​
Guardian renaming command now allows composite names.
Do notice, the length of the name must be between 2 and 16 characters.​
The npc used by guardians town npcs will no longer drown.
The Guardian selection interface will now show the number of second and third places the guardians appeared in contests.
Your character is now immune to harm when being hugged by Vladimir NPC.
The mod now tells the direction where Bree appeared.
You'll need to know the directions of that flower whose name I forgot to aid on finding her.​
Added Vladimir's recruitment method.
Guardians will now ask you for Bezoars If the Queen Bee has been previously defeated.
Guardians fall height in blocks tolerance changed from 25 to 15.
Terrarian like.​
Added a reason not to be hugged by Vladimir during Bloodmoons.
I'm talking about his Npc version.​
Changed the way npcs dialogues are selected.
Added Tax Collector dialogues about Leopold and Vladimir.
I also missed when I launched updates with huge patch notes.

Of course, I'll try comenting about some of the changes.

The latest guardian launched gained a few changes and fixes, aswell as got his "hug" system expanded, so now If you don't want to hear him chatting randomly, or simply gain friendship level with him in a lazy and slow way, you can just be hugged to get a buff that stacks up to an hour and thirty minutes (1 hour and 30 minutes). I don't mean 1 hour and 30 minutes of Terraria time. You can also make the leader guardian be able to gain the buff too, by making your character be hugged when controlling the guardian. But by doing that, you wont get stacks on the buff. Maybe I should make so both the player and leader guardian can be hugged?

The gems difficulty system (which I also call modifiers (With D, not B (I don't think many people will get why I said this (Too many parenthesis)))) got a few tweaks. I made so Mothron eggs don't get health boost from them, because they were making survival on the eclipse be a big pain in the area, even more when you have several gem mothron babies ramming you around.
I also added the possibility of getting extra loot from defeating gem bosses. That extra loot doesn't actually obey the loot rules of Terraria, so they will always give the chance of dropping materials and potions, and if the boss has equipments, weapon and accessories, will give a chance of dropping an extra of those. That chance may stack depending on the number of guardians following you, so you can have up to 2 chances of getting extra loot from bosses, by having a full party of 5 companions with full health.

I think those changes to gem monsters will make them more interesting and rewarding to face, but I still have drops to give to monsters, but I'm still formulating what should monsters offer. I can't decide between a custom currency, or a morph ore (ore that can be morphed into another ore type).

A number of debuffs that are inflicted by scripts on the player were also implemented for TerraGuardians to be affected, includding the Medusa's Petrification. I'm itching myself to begin making their stoned sprites, but until then, enjoy the frozen grayed guardians.

And npcs used by guardians as masks no longer drowns!! Yay!! Well, at least I added a script to make them not drown, but if you want to try making a guardian live in a house filled with water (If that is even possible), you can give it a try.

And also, the most important change of the entire patch note. Fixed the Onix Blaster. *Huge crowd cheering sounds*

Well, I guess that's all for my comments on the update.
Enjoy the changes : )

For some reason, Blue isn't consuming the archery potion I gave him or the ether heart I gave him. Also, how do I get new guardians?

For some reason, Blue isn't consuming the archery potion I gave him or the ether heart I gave him. Also, how do I get new guardians?
Blue's a girl. And they wont make use of buff potions and life/mana increase items automatically at the moment, so you need to give them the order to do so.
By default, right mouse button calls the order menu, and I didn't set the mod to use the new order menu by default, so I guess It's still using the old menu.
Hold right mouse button and see if the order menu will appear shortly after, If doesn't, go in the control settings and change the order key to a key of easy access.
In case you're using the new order hud, just tapping the button will call it, but I still think that changing the key to call It is a good idea too.

That way you can give the guardians orders, includding to use items. Beside I recommend trying the new order menu, If you aren't.

Aaaaaaaaaaand I think I forgot to change the default hotkey for calling the order menu.

So that's the interesting part, looks like i misjudged you, sorry satan. But in expert mode bosses don't drop items, only loot bags, guess i'll have to find out myself. And since you said that's not ordinary way for item dropping, does it apply to coins ? Or hearts and mana stars ?
Though you posted lots of things related to Vlad, we aren't getting it (or him (or her in case it's really mabel in disguise as i suspected)) right now, so quit it ! And the status i get from hugging so long better not be "shattered ribs and broken neck".

My personal opinion, don't give too many things to guardians related drop pool, some is nice, and too many is bad for inventory slots(normal player of course, i'm using mods so whatever), currency idea seems fine, but what for? Better provide something really useful. If it only replaces something which is already existing, then it's pointless to make the change. I don't know what you mean by morph ores, most ores are pretty useless in vanilla game, except for those ones provide consistant aid in gameplay. So i don't know, extra drop chance seems more legit right now, but unlike bosses, gemmy-heads are too many, then again they are hard to defeat, then again you were creating the gem system to balance guardian power in the first place, hard to say. To be honest, you don't really need to give them anything, too powerful makes it op(which is overpowered which is too powerful, hmm), too weak makes it less appealing, if it's too rare then player needs to farm, makes no sense.

Out of curiosity, when player interacts with stationary items like sharpening station (the name is definitely remerbered wrong(i maybe wrong to think it's remerbered wrong )) to get armor penetration, does it apply to guardians as well? There are quite a few stations in the game.

Thanks again for the interface thing, you relationship with some random guy across the ocean has increased by one points.

So that's the interesting part, looks like i misjudged you, sorry satan. But in expert mode bosses don't drop items, only loot bags, guess i'll have to find out myself. And since you said that's not ordinary way for item dropping, does it apply to coins ? Or hearts and mana stars ?
Though you posted lots of things related to Vlad, we aren't getting it (or him (or her in case it's really mabel in disguise as i suspected)) right now, so quit it ! And the status i get from hugging so long better not be "shattered ribs and broken neck".

My personal opinion, don't give too many things to guardians related drop pool, some is nice, and too many is bad for inventory slots(normal player of course, i'm using mods so whatever), currency idea seems fine, but what for? Better provide something really useful. If it only replaces something which is already existing, then it's pointless to make the change. I don't know what you mean by morph ores, most ores are pretty useless in vanilla game, except for those ones provide consistant aid in gameplay. So i don't know, extra drop chance seems more legit right now, but unlike bosses, gemmy-heads are too many, then again they are hard to defeat, then again you were creating the gem system to balance guardian power in the first place, hard to say. To be honest, you don't really need to give them anything, too powerful makes it op(which is overpowered which is too powerful, hmm), too weak makes it less appealing, if it's too rare then player needs to farm, makes no sense.

Out of curiosity, when player interacts with stationary items like sharpening station (the name is definitely remerbered wrong(i maybe wrong to think it's remerbered wrong )) to get armor penetration, does it apply to guardians as well? There are quite a few stations in the game.

Thanks again for the interface thing, you relationship with some random guy across the ocean has increased by one points.
Even if you kill expert mode bosses, you may end up finding extra accessories alongside their loot. And no, you don't get extra coins from killing the "gemmy heads", beside, what for? Collection? Maybe making them have a higher chances of dropping hearts will be okay (I wont mention the mana stars, because their loot rate is so extremelly high, that would be better to give it a nerf instead).
Well, he may give you shattered ribs and broken neck if you start moving too much while he's hugging you during a bloodmoon. Don't try doing that with a hardcore character, though.

I know how inventory management is bad, my Terraria is mostly vanilla, and I most likelly end up with my inventory full of trash, because I think some of the things may be useful in the future. The morph ores is an idea I had quite some time ago. My idea were that if you drop it on a stack of ore type item, the morph ores will turn into that ore. So If you drop 77 stacks of morph ores on 50 stacks of chlorophyte ores, you will end up with 127 chlorophyte ores. I thought about the morph ores because on hardmode, getting ores is a extreme pain, even more when you're gathering chlorophyte. Also counting the fact that if you want to gear all guardians... Well, I guess I don't need to continue. The good side is that It would help preserving the jungle, I guess? :3

I didn't programmed stationary items to give buffs to guardians when the player activates it, but I can make It do.

And heh, no problem. When I was going to implement it, I thought "why add a hotkey to hide the interface, If I can instead add a button". Now the mod is safe from an extra hotkey.

(I wont mention the mana stars, because their loot rate is so extremelly high, that would be better to give it a nerf instead
Indeed, mana stars are too common, even more when you have mages like leopord by your side.

My idea were that if you drop it on a stack of ore type item, the morph ores will turn into that ore.
What kind of trick is that? Is that possible? this makes me feel like a middle age country man, hurting me heads, brilliant idea though, yet i do have a weird feeling about this feature, i have no idea how to describe it, the purpose of this ore thing feels "thin",very good usage, especially in late game, but it basically just turns all gemmy-heads literally into "gemmy-heads", maybe when you finally decide to add the feature, add a option to turn it on/off as well(alongside the boss drop), no idea why people would hate extra drops, but having the freedom to choose is always good. Besides, don't have a clue how you implent it, will it work with mods? only vanilla ores, or tiles as well? Imagine morph them to dirt block.

The sationary thing doesn't matter at all, it's a time-limited buff, no real use other than fighting bosses near player base, useless, no need to waste your time on that.

Well, he may give you shattered ribs and broken neck if you start moving too much while he's hugging you during a bloodmoon. Don't try doing that with a hardcore character, though.
Well now i have to do that, i see what you're doing there, satanic mind tricks, yes. You are good, best of your kind.

Gotta ask something else, one of the mod's options says "shared life and mana cap", the name is self-explanatory, yet the tip says something like "nothing stops you from increasing their personal status cap" something like that, what that means? They can get two times the bonus? Right now it's off by default, and i don't want to change that in this playthrough. By the way, after some future update, i think you can get rid of the old combat AI, nobody would use that anymore.

im having a bit of trouble figuring out how to get the guardians to use things like the ether hearts and medkits, any help would be appreciated

Gotta ask something else, one of the mod's options says "shared life and mana cap", the name is self-explanatory, yet the tip says something like "nothing stops you from increasing their personal status cap" something like that, what that means? They can get two times the bonus? Right now it's off by default, and i don't want to change that in this playthrough. By the way, after some future update, i think you can get rid of the old combat AI, nobody would use that anymore.
Even with the shared life and mana cap option on, you can still give life crystals/fruit and mana stars to increase their maximum cap. It will be really useful if you either grow tired of the shared life and mana cap option, or want to make the health/mana bar have different coloring.

I can try disabling the old combat AI on the next update. If nobody misses it, I will remove them for good.
im having a bit of trouble figuring out how to get the guardians to use things like the ether hearts and medkits, any help would be appreciated
You have to give them the order to use life and mana increase items. Go in the control options, and change the control setting for the order hud to a key of easy access.

If you have the option of the mod using the new order hud, you just need to simply tap the button, and navigate the new menu by using the numbers about the letter keys. In case you aren't, hold that button, and a menu will appear, just move it to the option you want to use, until It is highlighted.

I really need to add tutorial messages to the mod.

I found a bug where the guardian tries to go to town to sell inventory but fails and keeps trying again and again:
Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 1.08.09 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 1.08.09 pm.png

Woah! Now I question myself how that happened.
I'll analize the code and see if I can fix that.

By the way, at which frequence he teleports away when the bug is happening?

Edit:. Were your character dead when that happened?
no i wasnt dead and he doesnt teleport at all

I... Forgot to add a checking, to see if the guardian has a magic mirror in the inventory, before trying to sell the items. Oops.
Avoid letting the guardian loot items while the inventory is filled.

Edit:. Beside... That is giving me ideas. Like... The guardian without magic mirror tries selling the item, and a message shows up saying "The guardian has departed...", and then the guardian runs to the edge of the screen, to then sell the loot.

Yes, i might just ask which part of the inventory will the guardians sell, all of them, or the slots below the main hotbar, and they can use teleport potion right now, right?

Beside... That is giving me ideas. Like... The guardian without magic mirror tries selling the item, and a message shows up saying "The guardian has departed...", and then the guardian runs to the edge of the screen, to then sell the loot.

Torchlight?

Yes, i might just ask which part of the inventory will the guardians sell, all of them, or the slots below the main hotbar, and they can use teleport potion right now, right?

Torchlight?
They will only sell items that are not in the first 10 slots of the inventory, and aren't set as favorite. Be sure to set items you don't want them to sell as favorite before allowing them to sell loot.

Also, "Fortune smiles upon you...".

Back
Top Bottom