tModLoader [1.4.4] TerraGuardians - Terraria Companions Mod

Does this mod add a rare npc called "..." that teleports around and says pathetic if you interact with it? i saw it while running through the jungle at night and figured it was probably the armor wraith npc (since i have the census mod, but dont actually have the armor wraith moved in) and im trying to figure out whether its this mod or ancients awakened, and to figure out what to do with it

Does this mod add a rare npc called "..." that teleports around and says pathetic if you interact with it? i saw it while running through the jungle at night and figured it was probably the armor wraith npc (since i have the census mod, but dont actually have the armor wraith moved in) and im trying to figure out whether its this mod or ancients awakened, and to figure out what to do with it
Nope, that npc isn't from this mod.

Any news on this? 🙏

I guess a spriter would have to edit the body to be without arms, and remake them separate from it.

That makes me think, why has no one ever tried making weapons that summon the monsters themselves? One mod lets us summon harpies, but they're tiny original sprites instead.

😖 Also, I suppose I should probably note that it seems like Nemesis is showing only a male torso. Need to look at armor worn on the female form to confirm.
There's issues showing the leg-covering part of most robes as well.

I hate bringing up more Nemesis problems. View attachment 269489
My greatest problem when making the lamia companion sprite, is that I don't find a really good way to dye the sprites to a darker tone, to make it like the skin tone of the Lamia.
And the problem with trying to make the lamia mob Itself be a companion, is the way the body moves when walking. Probably I'll have to make use of a system that was turned obsolete in the mod.

And I will check the problem with robes on that companion.

The problem is because I were trying to make use of the player sprites to use as base for the lamia sprite, because It has attacking animations, but by the look of it, wont be easy because I couldn't dye the player sprites (which is entirelly white).
Either I'll have to find out how to dye the player sprites, then do the adjustments to use the lamia outfit as the body parts, or I'll have to make use of the monster sprite as base, then modify to supply the needs of the companion.

Is their a wiki or spotlight, also how do you use the ether hearts, and do i need nterreria to do so?
There is no wiki, but I don't have the intention of hiding things behind very specific steps, so you'll most likelly find everything the mod has to offer during your gameplay.
Ether hearts can only be used by TerraGuardians to increase their max health. You need to place the items on the inventory of the guardian you want to increase, then give them the order to use the item. I mentioned above how to call the order window.
You don't need N Terraria to run the mod or make use of anything. This mod may be part of that big mod, but is completelly independent, so you don't need other mods to have this mod's full potential.

hi, how do i get the guardians to move into my house? i dismiss them and send them to home but they still dont appear in my housing menu

Depending on their size, they will need a bigger house to move in. The house size must be have a free tile of difference between the roof and the guardian head.
If the requirement suffice, their npc will appear in the world (That can happen even if you have the guardian following you, so think of it as if they settled down in the world).

but i had this small little raccoon and he didnt move in either. he was in the world at first but then he left before i got to give him a house

You must have accidentally made him move out of the world.
Go in the interface at the bulldog button, then click the button "Allow to Move In" on that guardian.
If you want to know If It can move in to your world, select any other guardian in the list, and see if the name is white.
If the name is shown white, that means the guardian is allowed to live in the world.

i seem to have a bit of trouble doing requests for leopold because he almost always asks me too kill certain things with him, but i cant call on him yet and he's had about 7 consecutive boss/enemy requests that i have to wait upwards of an hour for it to cycle, is this normal? i only have him at friendship level 2, if that has anything to do with it

Good thing that I read that before launching the update.

Talking about update...
Changed the default key for calling the Order menu from Mouse2 to Q.
The new Order hud is now active by default. You can still use the old system by turning it on in the mod settings.
Fixed a error that would happen if you tried to make use of Action order for everyone.
You can now move the guardian left or right when It is lifting up your character.
Probably will now be easier to aim at that pesky opening on the floor above.​
Guardians will no longer try using offhand items while using another item, with the player mounted on them, or vice versa.
Telling your guardians not to use heavy weapons when the player is mounted will make them not use heavy weapons when the player is mounted mounted, on new combat AI.
Vladimir will now crouch when finishing the heavy swing attack.
Companions can now hold Water Candles and Peace Candles.
This brings their buffs too.​
Guardians will no longer be attached by their furnitures when being pulled by the player.
Added an alternative message for when the guardian dies of fall damage.
Companions now recovers their MP after respawning.
Readjusted Mabel's left(right) arm position. Now really looks like her arm is on her leg.
Fixed Mabel's hat positioning when she's crouching.
Guardians will no longer try selling your loot without a magic mirror in the inventory.
New combat AI is now forced on.
Old combat AI may be removed depending on reception of the new combat AI. Beside I preffer to improve the new AI in case there's something from old AI missing.​
Changed the "Take Control" action to "Control Companion".
Did that to remove the confusion when trying to either give control to a guardian mounted, or use the player control on the guardian.​
Guardians will no longer idle while taking an action.
Your character will no longer pulling dead companions.
Changed Blue's crouching animation.
Readjusted the sprite of Blue's... Chest.
Gem monsters now offers more coins depending on their gems.
Guardians can now sell loot for you if they doesn't have any magic mirror like item in the inventory.
The time they take to sell the loot increases with the distance from either the nearest vendor npc, or the spawn point.​
When the guardian uses a magic mirror, they will take less time to sell the items.​
Fixed the problem that caused guardians not to be able to be called, when they ask you to do something alongside them, and they don't have enough friendship level to be called.
In case you dislike the new order menu, you can use the old one by toggling on the options. Be sure to give your feedback on it about why you dislike it.
I'm trying to make the new order menu accessible if you use keyboard and mouse to play the game. I don't know how controller works, neither how their keybindings works (since the last controller I used was the one from PSX), so I can't do much about that.

I fixed the issue where guardians weren't being able to be called when you get a request that requires them to be present, but didn't had enough friendship level to be called. Yep, that means Leopold will no longer play the difficult one about requests.

Due to the TerraGuardian coming next, I'm having to do some readjustment on... some of the TerraGuardians... chest. Blue got a readjustment, beside I still have to think how I'll do the readjustment for when she's sleeping. I also did some readjustments on Blue and Mabel sprites in other parts, like her arms when sitting on a throne, her legs when crouching, and Mabel's left(right) arm position, because It weren't looking like her hand was on her leg.

The new combat AI is now forced on, in case you dislike it for some reason, give me feedback on what is wrong. In case the reception isn't that great, I may bring back the option of using the old AI.

Aaaaaaaaaand.... Companions can now be sent to sell your items even without having a magic mirror in the inventory. Of course, It will take longer for them to do the transaction and then to return to you If you send them to sell items without a magic mirror. Well... Time to prepare a TerraGuardian to take care of your loot. :3

Upcoming Talk

Now for the talk about what is coming, I teased on my profile about an alternative revive system I'm making for the mod, so... Better I get into talking about it:
Of course, the alternative revive system that is in development is optional, so If you preffer the old Terraria system, you can still use it.

The revive system will make so If a character gets It's health lowered to 0 or bellow, and the sum of the resulting health value plus half of max life is above 0, the characters enters a downed state. In that downed state, the character will be lying down on the floor, waiting for revive. It can be revived by other TerraGuardians, or by the player by (at least for the moment) standing right on the position of the downed character. The character also restores hp overtime in the downed state, based on health regen, and can still be hurt by monsters while in this state, but the aggro will be lowered.

If the downed character fills to max health, the character is revived, and gains half the max health of health back. If reaches 0, the character dies.

There is also an option of making so when the health reaches 0, the character enters a knocked out state. In the knock out state, the only way of restoring the health of the knocked out characters, is by getting help of others, since natural health regen is negated. Due to the fact the character is knocked out, you can force It's death by pressing the (currently) grappling hook button. That only to be used in case there is no way of reviving (Ex:. All your companions are knocked out too).

Both the players and TerraGuardians can enter the downed and knocked out state, depending on the options set. And currently, only Rococo has animations for both reviving and downed state. As for the player, the player shows up lying down on the floor.

Well, that is the base idea. What do you think of it? I guess that can turn the companionship a lot more interesting, includding the party play.

As for the update, enjoy the changes :3

Wait That Will Work On Multiplayer Too? However Man, That's Sounds A Great Idea You Had. Very Interesting I Would Like That
If I manage to make multiplayer work on the mod, I can try adding a sync for that. And yep, I also thought It would be awesome for multiplayer, too.

Regarding female TerraGuardians, I'd say don't fret too much about the subject of their chests. We know you're not making THAT kind of mod, and if anyone saw it as such, they'd already be talking about it in such a way. There's also maybe the option of a small add-on later to change the detail of sprites for anyone who somehow ends up getting disturbed by it, but I'm not expecting anything major.

The next guardian, if it's what I think it is, it makes sense it might stand out a little more because it won't have fur or scales on the upper half, but there's always obscuring with long hair.

:dryadsmile: I can already imagine it coiled up when sleeping. Or maybe just the lower body hanging off the edge of it like others if it's a big guardian. Or a bit of both. 🤷‍♀️
That's already giving me ideas about her.

By the way...
Check that out.

I checked the idea too and i want to think that it will look just as character do and have same buffs or like accesories like it will be a exact copy in buffs, accesories, and look

:dryadindifferent: Oh wait, I think I get it now. Maybe the new guardian will resemble a clone of the player, going by the fact there appears to be two of it in the screenshot. Might not work well if this ever dips into multiplayer plans, but it could also just copy the appearance of whoever's hosting the game, in that case.
And I Think It would be cool that it copy all the buff you have in the exact moment and from the accesories too

View attachment 270111
Finally I thought to check on this thread again.

I like your idea. It's simple, but cool, a regular player-looking character. We already have Nemesis, but there's always room for more. Now if only she and Nemesis would work with other mods' appearance-altering accessories in the first bar like Calamity's "Siren's Heart", a form-changing item like the Moon Charm or Neptune's Shell.

The sprite's well-done, but I like being a View attachment 270105lamiaView attachment 270106 more than a View attachment 270107sirenView attachment 270108, though it'd be fun as a partner.

🤔 Would making that work be better as something in Calamity or TerraGuardians though? I mean obviously you'd need both mods to start with.

More mod devs need to look into TerraGuardians, especially since you put up info for people on how to make custom ones. I'd try it myself, but I'm only good at spriting. I'm no modder. I gave Terraria's files a look-over, and nope.:dryadwhat:

Anyway though, more guardians are always great. My only complaint is that because some mods have really powerful things in them, guardians can't always keep up with the player, but that's our fault for using those mods, and I didn't try the other guardian options yet.
I didn't sprited that character. That's the system I mentioned before, of companion terrarians, under effect.
The photo shows the model, and the actual companion side by side in the game. Beside I had to make a script to get the exact color values of the character.

Beside I still have to test to see If there are some more obvious bugs with it, the companion only needs a name, a description (I kind of have something on mind) and her dialogues (aswell as world interaction dialogues (npcs mentions)).

:dryadindifferent: Oh wait, I think I get it now. Maybe the new guardian will resemble a clone of the player, going by the fact there appears to be two of it in the screenshot. Might not work well if this ever dips into multiplayer plans, but it could also just copy the appearance of whoever's hosting the game, in that case.
Actually, since the in dev version, there are now two types of companions: TerraGuardians and Terrarians.
The difference (other than the way they are drawn) may come as the mod updates.
And I Think It would be cool that it copy all the buff you have in the exact moment and from the accesories too
You guys really loves giving me more work eh? I guess I'll add that to the suggestion list. Doppelganger seems like a good name, though. I wonder how one will recruit it.

Oh yeah, by the way, Nemesis now works the same way as that Terrarian companion. Of course there is the difference from a normal Terrarian.

Back
Top Bottom