tModLoader [1.4.4] TerraGuardians - Terraria Companions Mod

I thought earlier on that you thought I meant you sprited the siren, but then realized that wasn't it, and now I thought about it some more, and...

😐 right, the "TerrarianGirl". That's clearly a player sprite, yeah.

Also I'm late to comment on it but I love the new ordering system, and that pressing the hotkey again goes back one step, if we selected a wrong command. TerraGuardians being able to move around while lifting us up is excellent, too. No more trying to position perfectly first before getting help.
Pressing the order call button sends you back one command. Use it if you do a mistake.
By the way, even though you can now move the guardian while It is lifting your character up, beware not to hit your character head on the ceiling.
I wonder now If someone managed to die due to that.

Me encanta este Mod, lo amo UwU
Heh, nice to see that you're enjoying. :)

@topic
I've finally managed to get the mod github working, now I'll need to read some tutorials on how to relieve tModLoader from downloading my mod files. And also clear some confusion on the source, before showing It up.

There is no wiki, but I don't have the intention of hiding things behind very specific steps, so you'll most likelly find everything the mod has to offer during your gameplay.
Ether hearts can only be used by TerraGuardians to increase their max health. You need to place the items on the inventory of the guardian you want to increase, then give them the order to use the item. I mentioned above how to call the order window.
You don't need N Terraria to run the mod or make use of anything. This mod may be part of that big mod, but is completelly independent, so you don't need other mods to have this mod's full potential.
i tried right mouse clicking but noting happened and their no setting for it in the controls. Is it different on steam with tmodloader?

The key config of the order hud is written as "Order Wheel Key".
Also, if right mouse button does nothing, try pressing Q, instead. The only way of that not working is if tModLoader unbinded the key due to something, like another mod using it.

What would you guys do for a home for these big guardians? I'm thinking a cave, and maybe they can live with the dryad nearby, though I'm not sure how to begin. At least, I feel like they wouldn't have a typical house like common Terrarians, plus caves can still be a bit fancy, so Blue and Mabel would likely be okay with it.

Now I wonder how the Ether Realm looks. 🤔
Partially don't think of the TerraGuardians as animals, they know how furnitures works, what is a village, and like to have their houses decorated. Feel free to build a beautiful house for them If you want. And something gives me the idea that you're thinking about building Vladimir a house.

And I kind of wonder too about the Ether Realm. In my ideas, It's a kind of medieval world, with a king ruling the land. But the major question is, should the Ether Realm be the same for every world? Or be generated like the Terrarian world. Hard question...
Hmmm, Now i'm thinking weird places xd
EDIT: I just realized that i forgot to put the link for the thread in my singnature XD
You like causing curiosity on people, eh? Beside I wonder If I'll regret knowking what you were thinking.

Also, Woops. At least the forum search works. :)

I wonder If I'll regret knowking what you were thinking.
By the name i think like houses made out of crystal or like a very friendly world or a world that if that doesn't look like an "animal" is weird or unknow like explaining why leopold acts like that when sees the player

Haha, friendly world, very funny. The guardians will possibly be friendly, I'm not sure about the other things that will be in there. In my initial idea, the place would be like an "open world raid", so you can expect things to be hard.
And the reason why Leopold acts when he sees the player, is because Terrarians are a unknown thing for TerraGuardians, and vice versa (because of the different realms they live). Some of the npcs and TerraGuardians recruitment dialogues gives that away.

I wonder how a corruption would be in their realm and how are the creatures from there Thats not an idea for a Terraguardian I'm just saying xd

I wonder how a corruption would be in their realm and how are the creatures from there Thats not an idea for a Terraguardian I'm just saying xd
That's a great idea!
Just kidding, the Corruption and the Crimson aren't a thing there. And I don't think the hallow is either. Maybe due to the fact that the Ether Realm is another kind of world, the Hallow would fit, but the biome Itself gives me nausea, so heck no.

:dryadcry: Seeing poor Vladimir have to put up with those tiny chairs.
View attachment 270738

:dryadindifferent: Alternatively, with sofas,
View attachment 270739

%-_- Good thing he didn't sit on a marble or palmwood chair.
Marble_Chair.png
Palm_Wood_Chair.png
It could be worse.
Glass. Chair.

@topic Little spoiler, the new revive system is coming next mod update :D.
As I said before, the feature can be toggled on in your game, and will be normally turned off.

If you fear playing on Expert Mode because of the character dying so much, that may end up giving you an extra incentivation to try it.

And what about putting that revive system in the Terrarguardian mod and doing a mod with the revive system for multiplayer so you don't have to make the whole mod to have a compatibility with multiplayer? is that hard?

It is really a bad moment to be launching an update, but at least, It'll be already out if you guys decide to revisit the mod later.
Has gained petrified frame: Rococo, Blue, Sardine, Zacks, Alex and Brutus.
Added Terrarian companion possibility.
This will allow me to create Terrarian companions, without having to mess with player sprites to create new companions.​
Nemesis also got changes to fit the system, but there may still be bugs.​
Your companions will no longer use buff potions when you tell them to use hp and mana status increase items.
Asking a guardian to teleport with you to the town, will now take the companion you're controlling, and mounted on with you.
You can no longer pull guardians to your position when they are with the terrified debuff, and you aren't facing the wall of flesh.
Fixed Zacks head and his hair being split by lines when he's sitting on a throne.
Fixed part of the disasterful health regen script.
Companions will now use furnitures for longer.
New Knock Out system is in.
With the knockout system, you can add an alternative to death, by making the characters enter knocked out state when defeated.​
When in Knocked out state, the character wont be able to act, and nearby allies can try reviving It when there is no threat nearby.​
Both the player and companions can make use of this system.​
You can revive others by passing the mouse over their body, and holding the item use button.​
The system is fully configureable, there is a new mod setting specially for this system.​
You can also set If the character dies when health reaches 0 while knocked out, of If It will enter Knocked Out cold state.​
In some cases, the character will end up dying when health reaches 0. For example, when the character dies for being hurt by lava.​
Trying to move your guardian when It is using furniture, and you are mounted on it, will make it leave the furniture.
Companions will no longer ask you to hunt for Giant Worms and Diggers.
Most of you guys probably are extremelly hyped at the Terraria update coming tomorrow, and so am I, but when would the update come out If I decided to give it a time to play the new update? I too am curious about the new update, and itching myself to try it, If my pc be able to run it... Anyway, in case you decide to give a break of playing the mod to try the new update, then no need to worry, the mod will still be here for you, and I'm sure your companions will also be waiting for you.

First, let me talk about the new Terrarian companion system.
It was really annoying for me, to have to get the Terrarian sprites, cut and paste It down to create the body parts of the character, and then dye it... Now things have changed. The mod now has a special system to create and draw Terrarian sprites, diverging from TerraGuardian sprites. With that I can create companions that really look like Terrarians, includding by their default outfits, I even spoiled that here:

Nemesis will count as a Terrarian companion, and his "Wraith" thing is now his character effect, so you'll still see It entirelly dark, and with red eyes.

As for the new revive system. Not only you can allow guardians to enter knocked out when their health goes to 0, but also your character too. Knocked out characters can be revived by nearby allies.
The system by default is disabled, but I added a new mod configuration tab specially for the system, there you can pick what revive rules should be under effect. You can even make so the characters don't die if their health reaches 0 when knocked out (beside depending on their current condition, they will die).
The allies who can revive defeated characters are players (get near the downed ally and hold the item use button with the mouse over It) and companions (alive companions who has you in their view range, even companion npcs can revive you).

Due to the new revive system, I had to add two extra behaviors that some npcs will take if there are knocked out characters in the battle. Enjoy!
What? You were expecting me to tell whose npcs are they? Haha, nice joke!

And to finish, the mod now has a GitHub page. I have to say, I'm a complete newbie on this GitHub thing, but I'm slowly getting the hang of it. The reason why there is no github with tModLoader yet, is because It seems like they automatically build the mod to the latest version pushed on the site, and since I'm still getting the hang of it (and forgot how to handle branches on the program I use), I decided to not try that right now... Sadly, that means that the cool icon I made for the mod isn't visible yet, either.

If you're curious, this is the link to the repository: nakano15/giantsummon
I'll probably get yelled a lot by other professional developers for not being a perfect person, but I don't care. I made a companion mod, they didn't.

Well guys, I'm not sure if many of you will be playing the mod by tomorrow, since tomorrow is Terraria 1.4 update, and even I am itching myself to see what's new. If you want to explore the mod until the launch, feel free to.

All I can say now is, see ya later, and have fun. :D

Edit:. Little addendum, If you fear playing on Expert Mode because of dying so much, feel free to try playing it with this mod, and with the revive system on and the without bleed out death.

Last edited:
I'm gonna try the actualization tomorrow at morning. I think this is a pretty cool update.
PD: I tried to get Moonlord as a companion but i don't know how XD
EDIT: Could you put that the Terrarguardian need to have a First aid Kit, So it can revive you

I'm gonna try the actualization tomorrow at morning. I think this is a pretty cool update.
PD: I tried to get Moonlord as a companion but i don't know how XD
EDIT: Could you put that the Terrarguardian need to have a First aid Kit, So it can revive you
Maybe he's still furious that you destroyed his pillars.

I've been lurking around this mod's development for a while now, since I like the idea of having a full-fledged friend as opposed to more simple-minded summoner minions (and I say this as a Summoner myself), but always stopped short of playing it myself since I felt like the sprites clashed too much with the game's artstyle for my tastes. But this new thing about having Terrarian-style companions definitely caught my interest. Will we be able to customize companions for ourselves? And what would be the extent of their behaviour, stats and combat abilities?

Personally, I think it'd be really neat if we could hire existing Terraria NPCs (like the Wizard, for example) and perhaps give them better equipment to suit their purposes and help them be less squishy, but I understand I might be asking for too much here. ^^;

I've been lurking around this mod's development for a while now, since I like the idea of having a full-fledged friend as opposed to more simple-minded summoner minions (and I say this as a Summoner myself), but always stopped short of playing it myself since I felt like the sprites clashed too much with the game's artstyle for my tastes. But this new thing about having Terrarian-style companions definitely caught my interest. Will we be able to customize companions for ourselves? And what would be the extent of their behaviour, stats and combat abilities?

Personally, I think it'd be really neat if we could hire existing Terraria NPCs (like the Wizard, for example) and perhaps give them better equipment to suit their purposes and help them be less squishy, but I understand I might be asking for too much here. ^^;
The only thing I can say about the companion sprites is, It could have been worse. I even added a light shader on the border of their sprites, and also kind of paid some attention to their form and animation detail (Yep, It could be better too).
Currently, the Terrarian based companions have their own designs. Maybe in the future I can try adding a way of creating a custom Terrarian companion, but not right now. I still have a "TerrarianGirl" to finish making aswell (and the current villain of the mod).

The idea of hiring existing npcs as companions is ambitious, but due to the fact they mostly have unique styles, they would partially work like the TerraGuardians, at least in draw method. Yep, would be a hell for me to make.

One of these days, I should look into those sprites, if I can extract them, and take a shot at editing, just to see if I can make them mesh more in the minds of people like Commissioner Tadpole, without changing the style much, if any. I get what they mean about the appearance compared to the rest of things.

For now though, I sleep. Hope the update doesn't add too much work for mods like this.
You don't need to extract, the source and the sprites are on github. I even posted the link on the patch note post and in the mod main post.
Well, and things like that opens up a window to new things, for example... A custom texture loader.
Maybe is easier than letting people create entirelly custom skins, hahaha.

Edit:. I forgot that there are too many frames and drawing stuff on the companion sprites, so yeah, go ahead and feel free to extract the mod for the sprites.
At least the sprite sheet are already done in the mod.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom