tModLoader [1.4.4] TerraGuardians - Terraria Companions Mod

yeah I have to admit it is pretty funny when I first saw it, but then again I seem to not be able to get 1 single atlantic cod

There isn't a wiki for the mod. If you have questions, you can ask them, and either me or the other players of the mod may be able to answer It.

ok. in how many ways can the player approach each terraguardian?

my problem is that i can't have Leopold as a companion because he got scared when i got near him
(I managed to raise the frienship level up to 4 but still can't call him)

EDIT. nevermind raised the level to 5 and can now call him

Last edited:
Each TerraGuardian has their own recruitment methods, but in Leopold's case, you will need to analyze his dialogue.
By the way, the Dryad is like the Guide for the mod, so you can speak with her to have ideas of how to find new TerraGuardians.

I actually only got what you said when I was about to go sleep.
Some companions like Leopold and Mabel, requires a certain Friendship Level to be able to be called as companions.

And no problem, beside the little misunderstanding from my part.

They will only try using first aid kits when heavily injured.
Also, the companions will not use first aid kit if they are with the cooldown debuff.

@topic Before someone ask, I want to apologize for the delay on the update.
Not only I'm trying to debug the new request system, but also trying to debug the
custom companion loading system, because It's having intermod problems, which are causing
the companion not to load automatically when I reopen the game, and I'm trying to solve them.

Hello again, came back with an idea/concept

seeing how the terraguardians work, perhaps a "terramount" could be created, working mostly like the controlled terraguardian sistem.
while in the "Terramount" you could be limited to assigned attacks that the mount has, or for it to attack automatically while you attack too.
one example could be controlable metal slug vehicle (first thing that came to mind), that could be upgraded to increase it's speed, health, damage, defense, and other status.
it is supposed to be a limited health mount, so, when it runs out of health,it despawns/dies/explodes so you cant use it for some time.
to make it fair certain healing items could be created to heal the terramount, with the same kind of effect the potion sickness has.

perhaps someone will see this and make it a reality but for now, i can always have hope

(might be good to mention that im not a native english speaker, so forgive me for any spelling mistake or incoherence)

I think I see what you mean, but what you're asking for is a kind of battle vehicle.
I don't think that idea would fit this mod, but you may try going on General Mod Discussion session of the forums to post your idea.

You may If you want. Even more because I wont create It myself.
Just let me know when you put It on the air, so I can place the link on the main post.

I think I see what you mean, but what you're asking for is a kind of battle vehicle.
I don't think that idea would fit this mod, but you may try going on General Mod Discussion session of the forums to post your idea.

ok, i will, but where is the forum if i may ask? i'm not sure where's that

Last edited:
Hello guys, long time no update? Hehe, sorry for the pun.
Rococo will no longer mention Alex when he's not in the world.
You can no longer use potions when knocked out.
A number of dialogue fixes.
Knocked out companions will now be drawn in front of other companions, but wont be drawn in front of your character.
Leopold's hopping animation will no longer happen when knocked out or dead.
His hopping jump animation will now only play when dashing.
New Request System is in:
System completelly restructured.​
Requests will be disponible after the cooldown ends, regardless of how many requests you have ready to pick.​
There is no cooldown of life for the request available, so you can just keep It on hold until you want to check It out.​
You need to talk to the companion having the request to get a brief description about It, then you can pick If you want to accept or reject It.​
If you have less than 3 requests active, you will get the request from the companion, and then the timer for you to do It will start running. The time is the same as in the old system, so you have plenty of time to complete It.​
When you reject, the request is erased and enters in cooldown. When the cooldown timer ends, a new request is set available for you.​
There is 1 in 3 chances of you getting a Talk request from the companion, so you just need to speak with It to hear what It has to say, and get a generous reward.​
You will be getting common requests at first, but after completting 3 common requests, the companion may give you a special request:​
The Special Request wont repeat unless you've completed all the requests possible at the moment for the companion.​
Those requests are very personal for the companion, so It will be tied to them, and possibly have some extra lore about them.​
Some companions may not have yet special requests, so you will still receive common or talk requests.​
Talk request can appear when this request should appear, but will not reset the counter of requests completed.​
Completting the special request will set the request counter to 0, so you need to do 3 more requests to get the next request.​
Each request now has It's own reward value, aswell as the objectives also helps filling the reward value of the request.​
I will explain the new reward system bellow.​
You can also check the request information of companions following you, aswell as accept/reject them through the request tab.​
To check the request of the companion, you need to have It selected on the tabs when checking the request tab.​
Companions in the team that have requests will tell you If they have a request for you.​
This system is still in testing state, so there may be bugs.​
New Reward system is in:
Companions will now award you item rewards based on a score.​
All companions have a fixed number of rewards that may be given based on score.​
Each companion is going to have their own special rewards for completting their requests.​
Some rewards will be given if you give the companions tools.​
You don't need to keep those items on the first row of the inventory.​
Fishing rewards will only have the chance to come, if you give them baits too.​
Like the old system, if there is remaining score, you will gain coins as reward.​
You can no longer give orders while knocked out.
Knocked out companions will now teleport to your position after your character respawns.
Face accessories are no longer displayed when the companion is sleeping, using a throne or knocked out.
Brutus got a hair change.
Companions will no longer be reluctant about using heavy melee weapons when the player is mounting on them.
Having a Titan sized guardian will no longer make monsters and bosses stronger.
Nerfed Titan guardians status.
Now instead of 3 times their health, they will only get 80% more health.​
Instead of 30% defense bonus, they only get 20%.​
They no longer gain defense rate bonus.​
Instead of their melee attack getting 30% faster, It gets 20% slower.​
They now gain 10% move speed bonus.​
They get 300 aggro.​
Fixed a crash in the old order hud, which would happen when It tried to draw the head of Terrarian companions.
Nerfed the maximum number of Honeyfins Vladimir may ask you.
Removed information that tells you that companions who can sell your items needs a teleportation item in the inventory, because that's false since a number of updates ago.
Friendship Ranking now starts as 0 for everyone.
You will require 2 friendship levels on companions to reach rank 1.​
Everyone will see the effect of this, by having the character lose 2 friendship exp. That may cause your character to lose a friendship rank, but you can get It back.​
Changed Blue's recruitment script, so It now has more into It than a startle.
Also removed the requirement of killing the Eye of Cthulhu for her to begin spawning.​
You no longer need to beat Queen Bee to have Vladimir show up.
You most likelly will end up spawning her when trying to fulfill his request, anyway.​
You no longer need to have beaten Eye of Cthulhu to have the chance of Rococo showing up.
Also updated the recruitment tip from the Dryad.​
Companions that teleports from higher places to revive someone will no longer get fall damage.
Added Leopold's two handed weapon swing animation.
Several fixes on custom mod companions system.
Added Companion Groups system.
You assign a string ID to It, the game will locate the group, then get It's name, and If the companion is a custom sprite companion, and If It is recognized as TerraGuardian.​
A lot better for sorting out your companions If you want.​
Changed the "Is TerraGuardian" icon on the Guardian Selection Interface.
Instead of saying if It's a Terrarian or a TerraGuardian, It will tell if the companion is a Ether Realm Creature, or a Terra Creature.​
The difference affects Ether Heart and Fruit.​
Sending your companion to sell your items, without It having a magic mirror, and also mounted on your mount, will no longer cause the companion to take you with It unless you dismount.

There are two major points I want to speak about, the Request System and the rework on the Custom Companion system.

The request system got a major overhaul, so now It's even a lot better for me to add new requests, aswell as having the new reward system, and the companions unique request system. Overtime, I'll add the specific rewards the companions can give, aswell as their unique requests. Possibly, something extra will be acquired when you complete specific companion requests, but that's only coming in the future, after I finish adding the companion requests and their unique rewards.

The new request system is currently in testing, so be sure to give feedbacks about It, and If you find some problems with It, you're welcome to report It.

I couldn't find during my test playthroughs the causer of the empty request bug, but I left a trap for it on the quest log. If you manage to find a empty request, and is able to call the companion, do so before trying to complete It, then open the request list with the companion selected, It should show the request ID and type. Try taking a screenshot of that and sending to me, so I can try bashing that bug.

--

As for the custom companion system overhaul, I found out that several bugs were going to happen If you made a custom companion before this update. Gladly, I could fix several of those issues, and I've been able to play with the custom companion without problems.
I'll probably have to update the custom companion creation tutorial, but to begin with, you'll need to know how to create a tModLoader mod, and how to do mod references. Due to the fact that there's currently a example mod, I think It will be a lot easier for you to setup your own custom companion, beside will probably need help.

The solution of the example custom companions can be found here, and on the Releases session you can find the already compiled mod, beside you can also use the Mod Browser.

By the way, the reason why I made Gaomon as a follower here, is because I was wanting to have It as a follower on Skyrim. Since I couldn't get It as follower on Skyrim, at least I could get him as follower on Terraria. Gladly that allowed me to further develop the custom companion system, and resulted in a... At least in my point of view, a cool sprited companion. And also because I think that there's enough Pokémons in this forums.

You can also find the mod on TCF, check out the thread here.

--

As for the newest companion, sorry for slugging her development, but I finished her sprite work yesterday, and now all that's left is the dialogues, and her recruitment method. Probably her recruitment method will give me a lot of work, but if I manage to make It, I'm pretty sure you guys will love It. Hehe.

--

By the way, I'm planning on doing some changes to the TerraGuardians Popularity Contest. It doesn't really make sense to hold a contest every month, even more since the companions participating doesn't changes, so I'm trying to gather ideas on how I'll reformulate that. My idea would be of changing It to last 2~3 months, but maybe that's a short period of time, and can cause new companions to be left out of It. So I want to ask what is your idea about the contest. How could I make It less tiring but keep it participative for you?

--

Well that's all, have fun. :)

Last edited:
Looks like I'll have to make a list of exceptions too. Hotfix coming soon.

Edit:. Well, It's launched on Mod Browser and Mega links, check out if there will be more crashes.

Back
Top Bottom