tModLoader [1.4.4] TerraGuardians - Terraria Companions Mod

I heard the Dryad talk about a dog guardian or something? From what I'm gathering, his name is Alex. How do I go about finding him? Is there a specific spot he can show up at or do I just need to look everywhere? Also, is Domino only available in hardmode, and do I need to install the mod from here or will the ModBrowser one just remain up to date?

I heard the Dryad talk about a dog guardian or something? From what I'm gathering, his name is Alex. How do I go about finding him? Is there a specific spot he can show up at or do I just need to look everywhere? Also, is Domino only available in hardmode, and do I need to install the mod from here or will the ModBrowser one just remain up to date?
If you created the world after you installed the mod, Alex will spawn somewhere in the surface.
Domino's requirement is quite tricky, but you can still meet him on pre hardmode. He needs you to have met another TerraGuardian for him to appear.
And I always update the mod on the mod browser, so If you want faster updates, you can use It to update the mod.

Who's that someone? And I'm glad that the someone knows how the mod works, heh.
By the way, that depends on the way such equipment works. If It works like the Moon Charm, there would need to be a script to make such change happen.
Aaaaaaand here enters the case of the inter mod compatibility that doesn't exists yet in the mod. :/

Just as I thought. I mean, item talk wise. It would be necessary to program their effects to happen on the companions.
Hm... Maybe I could begin trying to add cross mod compatibility script, at least to allow people to make third mods that
makes mod item effects work on companions, but I'll need to think how I could make that work.

Attachments

• Capture 2020-07-24 10_29_47.png
    Capture 2020-07-24 10_29_47.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 127
  • Capture 2020-07-24 11_47_04.png
    Capture 2020-07-24 11_47_04.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 134
Before the change log, I want to apologize for making this update look like a hotfix on the version number, beside It brings
quite a good number of changes to the mod, so... Try ignoring the number.
Tried making It easier for you to find Alex in the world, now he'll spawn:
On the Surface.
Some place without walls.
Non corrupted zones.
Non sloped or half block tiles.
He'll appear on Lifeform Analyzer.
Also did changes to his recruit npc.
Alex no longer has eagle eyes. he can no longer find you before you find him.
Sardine's Cait Sith outfit added to the mod.
Help him to be able to get It.
Domino will no longer stalk you trying to move into your world, whenever you send him home.
Companions will now try using the Space Gun, whenever they are wearing the Meteor set, and they are waiting for mana to recharge.
Companions walking will now have their animation run 3 times faster, to make their movement look less weird.
I did the following changes to companion recruitments:
Now recruiting the companions for the first time, will rise their friendship level to 1.
This prevents you meeting the companions twice, and avoiding having to do their request to be able to increase their friendship level.
When the scene where Leopold notices the TerraGuardians ends, your character will not automatically get him on your companion list, but also get a friendship level.
Bounty Requests now have the chance of giving weapons and accessories as rewards, but currently, only pre hardmode weapons and accessories will be given.
On the old order interface, you can now send your companions to sell items without the necessity of having a magic mirror in their inventory.
Changed when the mod will populate the starter companions list.
Now the list will be populated when generating a world, instead of when the mod loads.
This change is to possibly fix and issue where incorrect npcs could try spawning with the world, that also includes other mod npcs.
Fixed a bug where Sardine's left (right) leg wouldn't be drawn in front of the player when mounted.
Added Title texts that can appear in the game window when the mod loads.
Companions will no longer spawn in the world higher than they were before you logged out.
Stopped their Keep on Rising trend.
Skill Reset Potions are not a very exciting reward, so I moved their importance position lower on Bounty Quests.
Due to this, Fishing accessories, rare informative accessories, teleportation mirrors, random accessories and random weapons will show on the announcement of the request as spotlight item.
Skill reset potions will be rarer now, too.
Brutus will no longer go away when you are afk, independing of the level.
Let's use the logic, he's a bodyguard, and you hired him. Why he would return to his house after dying, if he's supposed to protect you regardless of the situation?
First of all, let's talk about the most important part of the update, Sardine's new outfit. Haha, just kidding, that isn't the... Well... Least important part of the update, even more since even I liked the result.

Skins and Outfit System

outfit.png
Sardine: All that was left is a rapier, but sadly It couldn't be shipped from the place the outfit came from.

That's the Cait Sith outfit, you can get It from doing a specific request for Sardine (beside is the only one he has). Why I'm telling you this? Stop questioning yourself! Go get It now!

So... As you may have noticed on the equipment tab of the companions, there are now two extra tabs that you can pick, Skin and Outfit. I will explain the purpose of each, beside both works quite the same way:

Skins are related to the companion body, so changes their body sprite appearance, like is the case with Bree's Bagless Skin, which removes the bag from her body sprite.
Outfits are for clothing, they don't change the character sprite, but will add more sprites to It to create It's clothing. The Sardine's outfit adds the hat, the cloak, the belt and the boots.

Another thing about Outfits, is that if they use the head, their hat will be hidden if you give them a hat. Can't stop style, right? Also, some people may like more giving them a specific hat to wear, instead of the outfit hat.

In my plans, Skins and Outfits will be acquireable by in-game activities. I don't think all of them will be acquireable through special requests, though. Sardine's outfit was initially intended to come from the Travelling Merchant.

What's next about this system? Well... I'm pretty sure people may want in the future to make outfit and skin mods for companions, so yeah, I'll have to add a system to allow custom outfits in the mod. But my biggest worry will be providing outfits for all the companions. Let's see how that will result into.

Bounty Quests

The Bounty Quests got a few new additions, they can now give you vanilla Terraria accessories, and some weapons as reward (sadly, only pre-hardmode weapons will be given as reward currently). Those accessories and weapons have big chances of coming with a good modifier in them. With this, I hope to make It easier to equip your companions, even those who are not in your party at the moment.

I also made use of the chat scripts to make the new bounty announcement text be more compact. Now It will show the coins and the spotlight item as icons on the chat. You can still check the item by passing the mouse over It, like happens normally with chat item icons.

Title Texts

The mod gained custom Title texts that can change your game window title with a chance, when loading the mod. There are 8 different title texts that can appear, and It's planned to get more in the future. It's also open for suggestions of title texts, feel free to give ideas.

Well, that's all for the news. Enjoy the update, and the new outfit. :D

Edit:. Wow! This mod is getting 1 year older in 3 days, thank @Scratch Lunin for telling that.

I thought It was yesterday when I launched the first version of the mod, hahaha.

Last edited:
I will check if those IDs are being recognized on the mod when I get to work on this mod.

The way npcs ids for modded npcs works is quite different, I would need to not only check if the mod exists, but also get the npc internal name to get It's ID.

Well, this would be a solution, the second code piece:

The problem is that I know nothing about the related mods.
I probably would need to check if they have an open wiki, and see what I can do to
add that checking.

Last edited:
Oh noes! Another bug, the character isn't showing only the bones!
Just kidding haha.

I fixed the experiment issue after I saw the post, but you would be surprised at the amount of times she talks about experiments.
Maybe It's her obsession.

I actually already noticed the issue and fixed on the upcoming update. Well, at least the vertical positioning of the hat is.
I'll make the hat move one pixel forward aswell to make It fit better on the head.

By the way, the equipments head position isn't shared with other companions. Each companion has their own hat positioning, specific either by default values, or specific frames.

Ps:. I forgot about the existence of nurse hat, It looks okay on her, beside the Wizard Hat looks better.

Today is the day where TerraGuardians are now 100% non dependable on mask town npcs.
Blue and Zacks will now wander in the wilderness at night to howl at the moon, during Full Moon nights.
> They will never do that during a Blood Moon.
> If there were sound effects though...
Lowered the position hats are placed on Malisha's head.
Brutus will enter a defensive stance near your character when your character doesn't takes any action in 1 minute.
> Brutus will kneel behind the player, protecting It from damage from ahead and behind.
> While in this state, the player will be immune to damage, until Brutus dies, or somehow gets far away from your position.
> Brutus will not move while in this state, but will still retaliate monsters that gets in range of his attacks.
Event slimes will now be recognized as slimes to hunt.
Defeated companions will no longer show a chain when you try pulling them before they are defeated.
Fixed a number of problems with Brutus sprites.
Fixed some more broken english on Malishas dialogues.
Companions now gains coins when killing monsters.
> They wont make use of them right now.
> Nope, you can't take their coins.
Companions will now be able to automatically health/mana increasing items again, without giving them the order to, if:
> The item is placed in one of the first rows of their inventory.
> The item isn't marked as new.
> Your inventory isn't opened, or isn't checking the companion inventory.
The mod will now try to update the companion animation when getting their sprite on the Guardian Selection Interface.
> That may be necessary depending on the companion, and the current situation of the world, or something else.
Fixed a crash that caused bounty requests to crash, when you receive a bounty before facing any boss.
Homeless companions will no longer have the urge of keeping using furnitures during the entire house, when they find a house to stay.
Fixed a bug where starter guardian variable weren't being saved with the world.
> If you tried talking to a guardian that spawned with the world, after you reloaded It at least once, that guardian would not be recognized as Starter Guardian anymore. The starter guardian variable is important, if a guardian that has friendship level requirement spawns with the world, because It flags them as starter, and allows you to call them regardless of friendship level.
Companions will now close doors when they use a furniture.
Companion town npcs will show death messages descriptible about their death, like the follower guardians does.
Implemented the Rescue system to the mod, for those who really don't want their character to die in combat.
> When your character gets knocked out cold, and there is no companion alive nearby to revive you, a countdown will begin.
> While the countdown is running, the screen will get darker.
> Once the countdown reaches 0, you will respawn either nearby a companion with a house nearby, a companion without a house which can help you, or at your character spawn point, without anyone to help you.
> In case you are helped by a companion, your character will wake up with It trying to revive your character.
> After respawning, your character and companions will be on Knocked Out state, able to restore conscience overtime.
> The maximum health you respawns with greatly increases if there's an event happening, like a moon event, an eclipse or invasion in progress.
> Do notice that this also causes the time to jump a few hours ahead. It takes time to bring you and your companions to a safe place.
> > The time jump isn't related to the distance from your character to the rescuer. Near or far away from the rescuer place, the time has the same jump distance range.
> Added an option on the revive system configuration, to make so the rescue timer starts as soon as your character is knocked out cold, instead of when having no awaken companions nearby.
> This is very ambitious, right? Wonder how much of a pain would be to make It work on Multiplayer, if It existed.
Changes to how Companion Town Npcs works were implemented.
> Now companions no longer requires a mask npc to exist in the world, there is now a different system which allows their existence in the world.
> Due to the changes, I also had to make a npc spawning and housing system specially modified for them, due to that, they now allow:
> > Companions to share the same house, depending on how many chairs available there are.
> > Companions will be able to share house with a Terraria Town npc, this actually was partially not intended, but I made It be possible to avoid a bug that would cause problems with house assigning.
> > > This may stay, maybe If I add a affinity checking with specific town npcs, where TerraGuardians may not mind to live with a town npc, like Mabel and the Angler kid.
> Town npcs from older saves will be automatically converted into the new TerraGuardians companions.
> > They will be homeless at first, so be sure to assign their houses after you enter the world.
> Due to the changes, here the few things you need to be aware of:
> > If you have the companion town npc in the world, and you want to call It to aid you on your battle, instead of creating a new version of that companion and hiding the older, It will now set that companion town npc as your active companion, and It will teleport to your position if you're far away.
> > The inverse also happens if you dismiss, wherever you are when you dismiss the companion, they will return to they will try returning to the town from there, or idle around. In other words, beware of when you dismiss the companion. Of prefference, do so in a safe place.
> > None of those are going to happen on multiplayer, if you are nuts and bolts to try doing so.
There is now a different from Terraria dialogue interface and system, for when talking to the Companions.
> This new dialogue interface will only be shown on dialogues with companions, and their options will show up depending on the moment, the companion and/or other reasons.
> You can speak with the companions travelling with you, but to reduce the annoyance, there is a 1 second delay before you can speak with them.
The following changes were done to Injury and Heavy Injury debuffs:
> Upon leaving Knocked Out State, you will get 1 minute of Injury debuff, instead of 45 seconds.
> If you leave Knocked Out State while with Injury, you will get 3 minutes of the Heavy Injury debuff, instead of 1 minute.
Companion Town Npcs will no longer try dropping from platforms whenever their Wander AI begins.
> This may solve their drowning compulsion problem.
Companions now are distinguishable by Diurnal and Nocturnal.
> Diurnal companions will behave still behave like the companions used to, when as town npcs.
> > They will move in their house when the night comes (7:30 PM), and will try going sleep 10 PM. They will only wake up around 5:30 AM.
> Nocturnal companions will behave the complete opposite of Diurnal companions, they will move in their houses during the day, and even sleep at that moment, and will also be active during the night.
> > They will move in their house at 6 AM, and go sleep 10 AM. They will only wake up around 5:30 PM.
> Raining, Eclipse and other things still makes the companions move inside their houses, regardless of wether they are Diurnal or Nocturnal.
Companion town npcs will now... Somewhat correctly try defending nearby npcs, hurt by enemies.
Made Domino and Brutus dialogue during Domino's request less "bloody", If the player allows him to move in the world.
Vladimir recruit npc will now be able to comment when you try to move, jump or attack while being hugged. But will still not idle chat while you have the dialogue closed, and haven't passed the hug time.
Brutus Royal Guard skin is now available.
> You need to unlock It by doing some guardian specific requests.
Changed the name and description of the configuration option of setting the health and mana status of the guardians like the player. (Ex:. Brutus would have 400 Max Health If he had used 15 Life crystals, instead of 900).
> Before this change, looked like the option of setting the life and mana items shared value between guardian/player and this option did the same thing, what wasn't the case.
For companions to drop from Platforms, you now need to press Jump key while holding Down button.
> This change was made, because many companions can crouch.
Let's hope the change log is readable.

Due to the TerraGuardians no longer having a npc mask, I had to make some scripts specially for their spawning, mouse over and dialogues. I fear there may be bugs in the mod due to that, but I managed to kill a good number of them.

I also took the liberty of allowing guardians to share the same house depending on the number of chairs. Try not making everyone share the same house, or make them share It lorewise, beside making Blue and Leopold, or Brutus and Domino share the same house could result in interesting situations, but that's for the future.

Guardians can now be either Diurnal or Nocturnal. The difference caused by that, is the moment where they will be awaken, go home or sleep. Diurnal companions will be more active during the day, and stay in their house during the night. Nocturnal guardians does the inverse, they are active at night, while during the day they stay at home. That also affects the time of day companions have a chance of having their town npc appear. Diurnal during the day, Nocturnal during the night. (Speaking like this sound stupid, but to clear any confusion..)

I also tried to add companion behaviors, so during fullmoons, you'll see Blue and Zacks wandering around during the night, while howling to the moon. I also added a behavior to Brutus, where when your character is afk for some time, he'll enter a defensive stance, kneeling on the floor, and protecting your character from attacks of any direction. While in this stance, Brutus will be unable to move, but he can still retaliate attacks in any direction. Give me your feedback about the guardian behaviors.

Also talking about Brutus, his Royal Guard outfit arrived on this update.
brutus_royal_guard_skin.png
Brutus: "*It has been a long time since I last used this outfit.*"

Differently from Sardine's Cait Sith outfit, It will require you to do quite a number of special requests to acquire, includding one from Domino (Yep, I really want you to get the outfit).

Well'p, I guess that's all I have to talk about this mod update. I have to warn you, there may be bugs with the new companion town npc system, and pay attention to the fact that the old companion town npcs will be converted into the new companion town npcs, but I didn't added a script to set their homes to their old npc homes, so you'll have to set their houses again. At least now you can make Sardine and Bree, aswell as Blue and Zacks (maybe) share the same house. Now I'll need to think how I'll make them share the same bed.

Enjoy the update :)

Hey man, Very nice update youy're bringing
AND
I have a question
As i'm not really having any time to start creating the wiki for the mod i want to do something that don't really take me a lot of time spriting, but, here it goes the question
Are you going to improve the sprites of the wepons in the mod or could i improve them? i'm not really good spriter but i think that the weapons in the mod could be a little bit better

My focus on the mod is the companions themselves, so I'm not really giving much of a importance to the items. I think the only items I actually care about are the Two Handed Weapons. You may try spriting yourself the items, the mod GitHub will allow you to get the sprites for the items, just try not to burn yourself trying to help the mod.

As for the wiki, if quite a number of people ask for It, I may try creating It. I, myself, really don't mind not having a wiki for the mod, because people who play the mod wont really have a guidance on where to find the content, so discovering something is like a magical moment. On other hand, I would like to give my input about some of the things related to the companions and some of the systems, and possibly the idea for as to why some companions surged, and why they are like that. Beside I could possibly add something on the mod to tell such hidden facts.

This mod's idea I love...
But those sprites...
I would have made better ones but you need a paid program to edit ASESPRITE files it seems...

This mod's idea I love...
But those sprites...
I would have made better ones but you need a paid program to edit ASESPRITE files it seems...
Actually, the entire mod source is disponible on GitHub, you just need to look in the right place to find the sprites.
For example, the companion sprites are in Creatures folder, each folder is to a different companion (Terrarian companions will not have a sprites, obviously). Items... Well, on Items folder.

If you plan on trying improve the sprites, you will have to pay attention to where those sprites are placed on the companion, and do notice that some sprites, like Body Front and Right Arm Front doesn't exactly follow the other body parts spritesheet (that's to save virtual memory space).

The other thing, is that a sprite change may cause me problems in the future, even more when making new companions, but I could add them as an already unlocked skin to the companions.

Ps:. Also, Aseprite is awesome, I would have several problems splitting the companion body parts if wasn't for It.

Actually, the entire mod source is disponible on GitHub, you just need to look in the right place to find the sprites.
For example, the companion sprites are in Creatures folder, each folder is to a different companion (Terrarian companions will not have a sprites, obviously). Items... Well, on Items folder.

If you plan on trying improve the sprites, you will have to pay attention to where those sprites are placed on the companion, and do notice that some sprites, like Body Front and Right Arm Front doesn't exactly follow the other body parts spritesheet (that's to save virtual memory space).

The other thing, is that a sprite change may cause me problems in the future, even more when making new companions, but I could add them as an already unlocked skin to the companions.

Ps:. Also, Aseprite is awesome, I would have several problems splitting the companion body parts if wasn't for It.
The problem is that the program is paid. If png versions were on there too...

Back
Top Bottom