tModLoader [1.4.4] TerraGuardians - Terraria Companions Mod

I could try, but I would need to either find a way of doing that, without turning Thorium mandatory to run the mod, or create a third mod that makes intercomunication between thorium and terraguardians mod.

Thorium compatibility ? Sounds interesting,already imagine Sardine in sith outfit as bard and ghost fox as healer.By the way,thats shoud be that ghost fox slowly revive herself after KO ? First time notice that

Thorium compatibility ? Sounds interesting,already imagine Sardine in sith outfit as bard and ghost fox as healer.By the way,thats shoud be that ghost fox slowly revive herself after KO ? First time notice that
The only problem is that to make companions benefit of effects from other mods, would need intermod dialogue, and that's still a mystery for me.
And yes, Fluffles doesn't actually gets knocked out or dies, she just fades for a while. Some companions are literally demi immortal, like Zacks. One can manage to defeat them, but they always return.

A bunny reaper I was working on also works like that, but I still need to finish a little part of his sprite work, and add his recruitment method. He was intended to be a easter special companion, but It looks like I wont be able to launch him before It happens.

So I finally downloaded and installed the mod and have been playing around with it, and it's definitely extremely impressive. Quite a beautiful creation you've got here.

Is there any way people can help adjust the English and spelling used in the mod? Is there a way to export all of the text so people can edit it and you can reimport it in the same place? Or does it not work that way. I'm not much of a modder myself.

I had flashbacks that I've seen you post here before, and I was right. By the looks of It, you stayed about 1 year and a half without trying the mod :/. Well, I can't blame you though, nobody would know that tModLoader's 1.4 version would take THAT long to come.

And yup, the mod improved a lot over the time It has been in development, and continuing...

The way one can help with the spelling would be by the mod github, since the mod source is literally there. The only problem is that I don't know how pull requests works. I remember vaguelly trying to make use of that when trying to help translating Tree of Savior to portuguese, but I stopped trying after the community rejected my pull request.

Anyways, you can explore the github page to find out how, even more since I just found an edit button when checking a companion script.
The companions dialogues are inside their companion definitions, inside Creatures folder. As for other translation stuffs, you need to explore the mod github page.

So I see! Thank you! I checked out Alex's page. Here's my initial thoughts and adjustments. A lot of this relies on [Ctrl]+[F] to search for the string, though it does go in a straight line down the page, so it's not like it's scattered all over. I'll see about other characters in a bit if this is okay with you.

-Extremelly sociable. --> "Extremely"
Description = "Your new best friend, a very playful one.";
Should be: Description = "Your new best friend - a very playful one.";
"("I'm sure you would like to meet " + AlexRecruitScripts.AlexOldPartner + ", well, she was a bit closed to other people, but she was my best pal, that's what matter, I guess?");"
Should be:
("I'm sure you would like to meet <PERSON>. Well, she was a bit closed off to other people, but she was my best pal. That's what matters, I guess?");
I should check it up later? --> Should I should check on it later?
I don't fear any of those monsters outside. The only thing I fear is the Legion, but It doesn't exist in this world.
"The day seems good enough for playing outside!" <-- Is this supposed to be TODAY, or the DAYTIME?
The rain would spoil the fun, If wasn't for the puddles. --> "The rain would spoil all of our fun if it weren't for all these puddles."
"I still have two AA batteries to be depleted, so let's play a game!"
"This night remembers me of an adventure I had with " --> Reminds, not remembers
"He's really bad at hiding, his tail gives him away" -> Turn the comma into a period. "He's really bad at hiding. His tail gives him away."
"teached " --> "taught"
"while swinging her broom on me" --> while swinging her broom at me."
""Why [gn:1] watches [gn:2] and I playing, and don't join us in the fun? Would be better than staring, right?"" ----> "Why does [gn:1] watch [gn:2] and I play? Why don't they join us in the fun? That would be better than staring, right?"
[gn:2] called me to go on an adventure, I wonder if you will mind that." --> Turn the comma into a period.
I asked earlier if [gn:3] were using one of his bones. His answer was very rude." --> Turn "were" into "was"
""Why does [gn:3] and [gn:1] looks a bit sad when meet each other? Aren't they dating?"" ---> "Why do [gn:3] and [gn:1] look a bit sad when they meet each other? Aren't they dating?"
""I tried cheering [gn:3], he threw a frizbee for me to catch, but when I returned, he wasn't there. Where did he go?"" ---> "I tried to cheer [gn:3] on. They threw a frisbee for me to catch, but when I returned, he wasn't there. Where did they go?"
"I've got [gn:0] and [gn:2] to play with me. I guess my new dream will be everyone in the village to play together." --> "I guess my new dream will be for everyone in the village to play together."
"includding " --> "including"
"I love playing with [gn:8], the" --> "I love playing with [gn:8]. The"
"I'm up to playing some more, do you know if [gn:8] is free?" ---> Turn the comma to a period.
"is a real buddy, he accompany me when I go visit" --> "is a real buddy. He accompanies me when I go visit"
"Sometimes [gn:"+Rococo+"] and [gn:"+Fluffles+"] plays with me. It's like a dream came true, they could do that more often." ----> "Sometimes [gn:"+Rococo+"] and [gn:"+Fluffles+"] play with me. It's like a dream came true. They could do that more often."
""Is this how you humans uses toilet?" --> "Is this how you humans use a toilet?"
""You'll sleep on my bedroom?" --> "You'll sleep in my bedroom?"
"He seems to be having pain." --> "He seems to be in pain."
"Looks like I wont have a rest this night" ---> "Looks like I won't be able to rest tonight."
"My old partner once said that I had C batteries in the body" ---> "My old partner once said that I had C Batteries in my body."
"and I were the best friends every!" --> ever
"No!! I wont lose you too!" --> won't
"Hang on buddy, I'll lick your wounds, please don't die!" --> "Hang on buddy, I'll lick your wounds! Please don't die!"
"You woke me up, Is It because you finished my request?" --> Change the comma to a period.
"Did you completed It?" --> complete
"You couldn't do It? Don't worry." ---> "You couldn't do it? Don't worry."
Already? Aww... How long we'll rest then?" --> "Already? Aww. How long will we rest then?" (I'm actually not sure what is trying to be said here.)
"Doesn't looks like the best moment to get a rest."; --> "Doesn't look like"
*Snif snif* [nickname], there is something cool on\n[shop]'s shop! Let's check out."; -----> *Sniff sniff* Hey [nickname], there is something cool on\n[shop]'s shop! Let's check it out."; (Should there be another space in "on\n[shop]" somewhere ?
*Happily wagging the tail* --> "*Happily wags their tail*"

So I see! Thank you! I checked out Alex's page. Here's my initial thoughts and adjustments. A lot of this relies on [Ctrl]+[F] to search for the string, though it does go in a straight line down the page, so it's not like it's scattered all over. I'll see about other characters in a bit if this is okay with you.

-Extremelly sociable. --> "Extremely"
Description = "Your new best friend, a very playful one.";
Should be: Description = "Your new best friend - a very playful one.";
"("I'm sure you would like to meet " + AlexRecruitScripts.AlexOldPartner + ", well, she was a bit closed to other people, but she was my best pal, that's what matter, I guess?");"
Should be:
("I'm sure you would like to meet <PERSON>. Well, she was a bit closed off to other people, but she was my best pal. That's what matters, I guess?");
I should check it up later? --> Should I should check on it later?
I don't fear any of those monsters outside. The only thing I fear is the Legion, but It doesn't exist in this world.
"The day seems good enough for playing outside!" <-- Is this supposed to be TODAY, or the DAYTIME?
The rain would spoil the fun, If wasn't for the puddles. --> "The rain would spoil all of our fun if it weren't for all these puddles."
"I still have two AA batteries to be depleted, so let's play a game!"
"This night remembers me of an adventure I had with " --> Reminds, not remembers
"He's really bad at hiding, his tail gives him away" -> Turn the comma into a period. "He's really bad at hiding. His tail gives him away."
"teached " --> "taught"
"while swinging her broom on me" --> while swinging her broom at me."
""Why [gn:1] watches [gn:2] and I playing, and don't join us in the fun? Would be better than staring, right?"" ----> "Why does [gn:1] watch [gn:2] and I play? Why don't they join us in the fun? That would be better than staring, right?"
[gn:2] called me to go on an adventure, I wonder if you will mind that." --> Turn the comma into a period.
I asked earlier if [gn:3] were using one of his bones. His answer was very rude." --> Turn "were" into "was"
""Why does [gn:3] and [gn:1] looks a bit sad when meet each other? Aren't they dating?"" ---> "Why do [gn:3] and [gn:1] look a bit sad when they meet each other? Aren't they dating?"
""I tried cheering [gn:3], he threw a frizbee for me to catch, but when I returned, he wasn't there. Where did he go?"" ---> "I tried to cheer [gn:3] on. They threw a frisbee for me to catch, but when I returned, he wasn't there. Where did they go?"
"I've got [gn:0] and [gn:2] to play with me. I guess my new dream will be everyone in the village to play together." --> "I guess my new dream will be for everyone in the village to play together."
"includding " --> "including"
"I love playing with [gn:8], the" --> "I love playing with [gn:8]. The"
"I'm up to playing some more, do you know if [gn:8] is free?" ---> Turn the comma to a period.
"is a real buddy, he accompany me when I go visit" --> "is a real buddy. He accompanies me when I go visit"
"Sometimes [gn:"+Rococo+"] and [gn:"+Fluffles+"] plays with me. It's like a dream came true, they could do that more often." ----> "Sometimes [gn:"+Rococo+"] and [gn:"+Fluffles+"] play with me. It's like a dream came true. They could do that more often."
""Is this how you humans uses toilet?" --> "Is this how you humans use a toilet?"
""You'll sleep on my bedroom?" --> "You'll sleep in my bedroom?"
"He seems to be having pain." --> "He seems to be in pain."
"Looks like I wont have a rest this night" ---> "Looks like I won't be able to rest tonight."
"My old partner once said that I had C batteries in the body" ---> "My old partner once said that I had C Batteries in my body."
"and I were the best friends every!" --> ever
"No!! I wont lose you too!" --> won't
"Hang on buddy, I'll lick your wounds, please don't die!" --> "Hang on buddy, I'll lick your wounds! Please don't die!"
"You woke me up, Is It because you finished my request?" --> Change the comma to a period.
"Did you completed It?" --> complete
Already? Aww... How long we'll rest then?" --> "Already? Aww. How long will we rest then?" (I'm actually not sure what is trying to be said here.)
"Doesn't looks like the best moment to get a rest."; --> "Doesn't look like"
*Snif snif* [nickname], there is something cool on\n[shop]'s shop! Let's check out."; -----> *Sniff sniff* Hey [nickname], there is something cool on\n[shop]'s shop! Let's check it out."; (Should there be another space in "on\n[shop]" somewhere ?
*Happily wagging the tail* --> "*Happily wags their tail*"
I managed to do the changes, and pulled them. Btw, I had to do a few changes on the result message, and I'll try commenting some of them, as for why:
The day time, since that's a message that shows up during the day, and when It's not raining, neither having an eclipse.
I changed "they" to "she", since It's refering to Blue.
I had hard time trying to find what changed here.
That message shows up when you tell your say to your companion that want to rest.
\n is a code for line break, so not necessary.

While writing the text above, I've noticed a few lines I've completelly missed, so I also corrected the text and pushed It to github by now.

Thanks. :D

I could try, but I would need to either find a way of doing that, without turning Thorium mandatory to run the mod, or create a third mod that makes intercomunication between thorium and terraguardians mod.
that would be great (also I've noticed that weapons that shoot multiple projectiles at once only shoot one projectile when used by a terra guardian would it be possible to fix that?)

that would be great (also I've noticed that weapons that shoot multiple projectiles at once only shoot one projectile when used by a terra guardian would it be possible to fix that?)
A good number of projectiles that shoots multiple projectiles at once are broken somehow. I think I'll need to review how those weapons AI works and then try fixing that issue.

@topic I've launched another hotfix for this mod.
Added trails and pulsating effects to armors.
Rococo and Bree are now rarer to be found.
Companions will now have their flag of attacking target disabled, when their last target is dead, and It finds another.
Fixed an issue with companions attack range, when using light weapons, like normal Terrarian swords, and the attack range of their last animation frame.
Companions will now only aim at what they will attack.
Added "CharacterPositionYDiscount" variable to GuardianBase.
-> That variable will be very useful if you have characters whose feet aren't actually on the lower bound of the spritesheet.
Companions will no longer spam boomerang like items.
-> While the companion has the boomerang, or other weapon of the kind thrown, It will try picking a ranged or magic weapon to attack.
Companions will now know what to do next, after they stop using a furniture at their house.
Your following companions will now try to better follow you around.
Your companions will now better tell you what you've unlocked through their dialogues, before letting you continue using their dialogues.
Changed Alex's dialogues to fix typos and weird writing. -Thank ShadowTiger for this
Skeleton variants now counts towards requests asking to kill them.
Fixed Dualwieldable Weapons and Item Attack Range lists not saving correctly.
Weapons that uses Phantasm AI are still broken on companions...
-> Those weapons includes: Laser Machinegun, Laser Drill, Charged Blaster Cannon, Arkhalis, Solar Eruption, Vortex Beater and Last Prism.
Do watch out for the following:
Due to companions now telling what you've unlocked through their dialogues, I've added a branch to their dialogue system after you complete a request, where they will check if you unlocked something or not. In case the dialogue breaks in the end of a dialogue, please report how It happened.

And companions are a bit restless during the night. I still need to fix that issue.

Enjoy your gameplay.

1618460778495.png

Welp time to buy alot of gifts

Of,back to saddle.
Found funny bug when Alexander catch me underwater when i steal tomato.While think am i right person or not, he drowned.Now I doomed to crawl like a worm for rest of my life.Like Inperial guard from oblivion,he was ready to chase me even to ocean deeps,sadly not on horse and lighted on torch.Still,he has my respect
(bugged animation fix realy fast)

Attachments

• 20210416182648_1.jpg
    20210416182648_1.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 96
hey could you figure out what thorium uses to determine if something is a player or not because currently healer items don't affect the guardians at all
The TerraGuardians and the Player characters literally functions different, so there is no way Thorium can figure out that TerraGuardians are like Players, somehow. Depending on how Thorium works related to that, either I would need to translate that to Thorium, or in one of the worst cases, have to do some workarounds to make It work.

But that I'll try only when I try doing a port to support Thorium to the mod. I can't really say when I'll begin working on that, beside the results of the experiment can be useful for other mods too.

I recently installed this mod and I've been loving it so far! However, there is something weird I've noticed. My in game brightness seems to be much lower with this mod installed, so I was wondering if there was anyway to set it back to how bright vanilla usually is. The 1st photo is with Terraguardians installed, and the 2nd photo is just vanilla. Oddly enough, when I go into settings (3rd photo), the brightness goes back to normal around the menu. It also goes back to normal in camera mode.
Desktop Screenshot 2021.04.21 - 15.38.52.28.png
Desktop Screenshot 2021.04.21 - 15.39.40.37.png
Desktop Screenshot 2021.04.21 - 15.39.10.68.png

I think you caught a sneaky fish.
I'll have to take a look at the game source to see what handles the screen fading effect, and find out why It isn't working correctly with the mod.

New mod update is out!
Companions will no longer continue using furnitures when they should be wandering or waiting.
Fixed bug where companions were jumping when climbing stairs.
A change were done to the "Shared Maximum Health and Mana?" setting:
-> Now It also affects companion town npcs when you're on singleplayer mode. They will have their max health based on current playable character max health.
Companions without a house will no longer find the old man a good option of person to stay around during a night.
Can now setup the companions main hand to be their right hand on their characteristics.
Companions will now spawn at the same location as your character when you enter a world, with them following you.
Added another method to find a sign required for Sardine's request.
-> Now It will check if the companion has a house logged. If there is, It will check an internal furniture id counter.
Change Blue and Brutus left arm position when standing and walking.
Mabel got a change to her left arm sprite when standing and walking.
Your character will now be forced off their mount when knocked out.
Changed Minerva's starter items:
-> Instead of Fruitcake Chakran and Bee Gun, she now begins with Pearlwood Sword and Amethyst Staff.
Eater of Worlds and Brain of Cthulhu gem versions will now award less extra ore and reagent reward upon killing them and their minions.
Fixed an issue where your buddies mode companion wasn't receiving health boost correctly.
You can now have assist companions with you on Buddies Mode.
-> Only your buddy and your character will get bonus status from Buddies Mode.
-> You will need twice the friendship rank to unlock the extra companion allowance.
-> Your buddy will award twice friendship ranks.
Added an appearing and disappearing effect for the companions.
-> Sadly you'll only hear It :/.
Companions now have their own Birthday day.
-> Their birthday day is based on a virtual season and day system.
-> That actually makes It easier to setup their birthday, since It's only 4 seasons to pick, and 30 days each.
-> The mod still operates by 32 days a year, so there's a method behind this to translate the companion birthday to the mod year duration.
Alex recruit npc will no longer crash when meeting a friendly face.
-> Alex will now correctly follow your character when speaking to you.
-> Neither he will try dropping your character on the floor.
Improved companions target seeking.
-> That should make the game behave better when having several companions living in your world.
Fixed a bug where companions you just met (and if asked, you allowed them to move in) wouldn't try moving to your world.
A number of companions gained sprite changes, and the mod gained a few improvements on performance too.
Companions also gained their own birthday days, so they will no longer make birthday at exactly every 32 in-game days since you started your gameplay.

Have fun.

Edit:. I also launched a new hotfix to fix an issue with Brutus skin, where the left arm position weren't updated with the new position.
There is a stray pixel issue, but It will be fixed on next update.

Last edited:
I recently installed this mod and I've been loving it so far! However, there is something weird I've noticed. My in game brightness seems to be much lower with this mod installed, so I was wondering if there was anyway to set it back to how bright vanilla usually is. The 1st photo is with Terraguardians installed, and the 2nd photo is just vanilla. Oddly enough, when I go into settings (3rd photo), the brightness goes back to normal around the menu. It also goes back to normal in camera mode. View attachment 317810View attachment 317812View attachment 317816
I just check that and i dont have such issue,with and without mod i have same bright.Can be mod conflict or it just light rain weather effect(doubt about last but still...Or Nakano fix that and i didn't notice)

Meanwhile found 2 bugs
1:Guardians that not taken in party,disapear when open game settings,Appear back when close menu.
2:If you take any guardian from world A to world B where he not allowed to,allow him,wait untill he arriwed and then disband him,he turn into(second)Rococo.With same inventory,health,and replics.Get rid of that bug a bit problematic,need to prohibit them(original and clone Rococo)hanging in this plase and wait until they leave world.After they leave,you can safely allow them to visit your world without cloning consequences.

Last edited:
I just check that and i dont have such issue,with and without mod i have same bright.Can be mod conflict or it just light rain weather effect(doubt about last but still...Or Nakano fix that and i didn't notice)

Meanwhile found 2 bugs
1:Guardians that not taken in party,disapear when open game settings,Appear back when close menu.
2:If you take any guardian from world A to world B where he not allowed to,allow him,wait untill he arriwed and then disband him,he turn into(second)Rococo.With same inventory,health,and replics.Get rid of that bug a bit problematic,need to prohibit them(original and clone Rococo)hanging in this plase and wait until they leave world.After they leave,you can safely allow them to visit your world without cloning consequences.
That bug is scratching my head, since I can't find what possibly could be causing that.
@Letrew , which mods are you using, other than TerraGuardians?

About the two bugs you found...
1: I know. To avoid drawing the companions in the world twice, there is a flag to check if they were drawn after drawing the tiles, or after npcs were drawn.
The problem, is that the game settings menu skips the moment where the flag is reset, so they are never drawn again while the settings menu is open.
2: I have bumped into that bug before. I'll have to investigate that issue. It were happening when I were trying to make a copy of the companion spawn on the world, upon dismissing It on a world where It's town npc didn't spawned.

Edit:. I forgot to tell, but a long time ago, I added a script to check if there aren't companion clones in the world when you load the world. That may solve your problem.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom