tModLoader [1.4.4] TerraGuardians - Terraria Companions Mod

Now that I completed Zacks shirt quest, it makes me imagine that once the mod is on 1.4, there will be a separate credits roll for the mod, there would be screens featuring: Zacks back to normal, Fluffles revived and able to talk again, Fury happy in a flower field, Glenn having his family reunited, Etc
Are there more ways to support the mod? I don't have my debit card available for now (It's blocked) but in the future when I have it and start working I would like to support the development of the mod, maybe via Patreon. Or maybe there's other ways to support the mod?
I doubt a special credit screen for mods may be possible, beside if that happened, that would depend on what you did on your gameplay.
-Zacks being revived is something I still need to work on.
-Fluffles wont be able to be revived, but I plan on making her be able to talk again. That will probably be a quest.
-Fury's case... Well... That will never happen. There is something else about him that is being cooked on the background. Also, there's more emotional fragments of that companion that needs to arrive to the mod.
-Glenn and his family reunited is something that will be good to happen. Beside I plan on adding a brother or sister to him, but for that I need to implement another system related to how much companions likes each other.

The mod has a paypal, and you can find it on the main post. As I mentioned before: I don't like the idea of using Patreon, since I don't want to give the feeling that I wont work on my projects unless you guys pay me, and neither have to offer anything extra for people who donates. I'm already really busy working on the mod while low funded, wonder if I had to offer something else for the donations.
Not entirely so sure if anyone has talked about this already but. If you use a custom race from MrPlague's Authentic Races mod
Michelle Would be the same race as you.
View attachment 339918
View attachment 339919
View attachment 339920
That's not a new issue report. I think Mr Plague's mod directly injects the textures of the races on the character sprite files, so that issue ends up happening. The only idea I have to try solving that issue, would be backuping in the memory the original textures of the player. The problem of doing that, is that the issue of texture overcrowding on the memory will worsen, so better I not try doing that either.

Last edited:
Why i feel my companion after update the mod much weaker. Now michelle can't even defeat plantera on her own like previous version.Did you change some thing about combat fuction?

Why i feel my companion after update the mod much weaker. Now michelle can't even defeat plantera on her own like previous version.Did you change some thing about combat fuction?
May I check your companion status?

ok,here. With even weaker status like this,michelle can easy defeat duke fishron,golem,even moonlord in previous version
But now, she cannot defeat plantera(after update)
May I check your companion status?
I feel the same problem on leopold and vladimir too. But for Offense companion like capTain St or kurume, they still powerful as they were ( please buff michelle)

Attachments

• Michelle weak.png
    Michelle weak.png
    297.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Neft michelle.png
    Neft michelle.png
    314.1 KB · Views: 113
I think I have an idea of what happened.
The companions have an extra factor that affects their resistence to damage in combat, which is the Defense Rate.
Defense Rate also is increased based on the companion actual defense, so that greatly reduces the damage Michelle were receiving.
Comparing the 2 photos, Michelle was using an armor set that gave way more defense points than the Turtle set, so that not only dropped the defense she had disponible, but also dropped the defense rate she actually has.

Compare for yourself the defense rate changes:
Then: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?attachments/stats-equip-png.339423/
Now: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?attachments/neft-michelle-png.340006/

Oh,i got it. Because of that extra factor, the more progress,the more she powerful. Nice.

I Saw that terrarian companion have many disadvantage compare to the ether realm companion. They can't use ether heart,ether fruit,Have lower heath pool,Cannot be mount or mount on player,Cannot equip packlead necklace. I think You should add a special Ability only for them . Like... Fishing. Yeah,They can help player in fishing If player give them a Fishing rod,bait And set them near a Water pool. That would be great . Having someone fish for you while you go mining is Really comfortable,it will feel like we truly play muti player.
That is just my idea. You don't need to do it if you don't like. But it would bring a really good feeling for anyone playing this mod if you can do it in the future,also it will give player More reason to choice Terrarian companion instead of only choice elther ream companion

Oh,i got it. Because of that extra factor, the more progress,the more she powerful. Nice.

I Saw that terrarian companion have many disadvantage compare to the ether realm companion. They can't use ether heart,ether fruit,Have lower heath pool,Cannot be mount or mount on player,Cannot equip packlead necklace. I think You should add a special Ability only for them . Like... Fishing. Yeah,They can help player in fishing If player give them a Fishing rod,bait And set them near a Water pool. That would be great . Having someone fish for you while you go mining is Really comfortable,it will feel like we truly play muti player.
That is just my idea. You don't need to do it if you don't like. But it would bring a really good feeling for anyone playing this mod if you can do it in the future,also it will give player More reason to choice Terrarian companion instead of only choice elther ream companion
Even though they can't use ether items, they can still use the normal health increase items. If health and mana are being a issue for you, you can turn on an option of sharing the max health and mana progress of your character.

If I ever manage to add possibility of fishing, all companions will have access to it. And beside the terrarian companions have many disadvantages compared to tgs, they still have access to the skills system, so they get stronger as you have them with you during your gameplay.

If you think about the benefits of having tgs on your team instead of terrarian companions, then you'll never actually manage to have them on your team.
You managed to have Michelle beat the behind of a boss by herself, and that isn't because she's weak. She has as much potential as any other companion.

• Love
Reactions: Phu
So I was reading some past posts from you and apparently the mod is not multiplayer compatible, is this still true? Really want to build an army with my friends.
Btw I was wondering if I could get from you some mod recommendations that work really well with the mod, I have it enabled in all my playthroughs.
I know I been buggin you too much about the topic, but I was wondering if you were to introduce the Cheetah Girl, what name she would have, because all the Guardians have an unique name that represents them either in appearance or behaviour.
Also I was thinking about this, is Brutus really supposed to appear Pre-Hardmode? His equipment is early hardmode and could easily be exploited by the player.

So I was reading some past posts from you and apparently the mod is not multiplayer compatible, is this still true? Really want to build an army with my friends.
Btw I was wondering if I could get from you some mod recommendations that work really well with the mod, I have it enabled in all my playthroughs.
I know I been buggin you too much about the topic, but I was wondering if you were to introduce the Cheetah Girl, what name she would have, because all the Guardians have an unique name that represents them either in appearance or behaviour.
Also I was thinking about this, is Brutus really supposed to appear Pre-Hardmode? His equipment is early hardmode and could easily be exploited by the player.
Yeah, there is no multiplayer support yet. I think the mod can be played on multiplayer though, but the problems are:
-You wont be able to see other players companions.
-Companion npcs may not spawn correctly on multiplayer, and neither they will be sync'd.

As for recommendations of mods, I don't really have any. I play the game mostly raw, and It's very few mods I play it with, so mods that adds various contents aren't enabled on my mod list.
I only have the idea of a cheetah girl companion. I didn't went far in the idea of her, even more since I'm working on more things, includding a companion that may arrive next update.
Yes, Brutus is really supposed to appear pre-hardmode. And It's cobalt weapons, those aren't that much op. Also, It's quite hard to see him appear on the world, so isn't much of an issue.

-I saw a new update.but see nothing here. That update is hot fix for something?
- Also i click on something name 'Guardian spell' But see nothing there. is it underdevelopment or something?

Last edited:
I remember reading that people can actually create their own Guardians for the mod. Are there any third party Guardians yet?
Maybe we need to help this mod to reach more recognition so new Guardians are created. The problem is I'm no Chippy to help the cause.
Also is there a chance for there to be a Discord of this mod? I know it takes time and sweat to administrate it, but maybe you can find coders there to help you with the mod.

There is a problem when play Terra guardian mode with Pinky mode. That is the poitrait of friend only display 3 companion (Michelle dissapear,that is the worst) instead of all of them. Can you check and fix this one?

Attachments

• bug buddies mode.png
    bug buddies mode.png
    240.6 KB · Views: 89
There is a problem when play Terra guardian mode with Pinky mode. That is the poitrait of friend only display 3 companion (Michelle dissapear,that is the worst) instead of all of them. Can you check and fix this one?
The companions that shows up in the Portrait of a Friend, are either Starter companions (like the ones you see in the list), and companions previously met by your other characters. If you deleted the character that had all the companions you wanted met, then the game thinks you didn't even knew they existed.

If you plan on deleting your character to create a buddy mode one instead, do so after you create the new character, and setup buddy mode on it.

Hello Nakano,

I absolutely love your mod but I cannot play with it has it has a very potent bug. Randomly, seemingly when the game runs out of memory or something, it freezes. Like, I can still walk around but all projectiles and entities are frozen in place. A random amount of time later it will unfreeze and will kind simulate all projectiles and will usually kill me immediately. It's very very weird and I've never seen it before. The second I deactivated the mod I haven't seen it since. If this has been bug fixed since then please link me to that so I can read it as I haven't tried since and don't want to break my world. But I adore having companions. It makes the game feel a lot more alive :)

Thanks and great work as always.

Hello Nakano,

I absolutely love your mod but I cannot play with it has it has a very potent bug. Randomly, seemingly when the game runs out of memory or something, it freezes. Like, I can still walk around but all projectiles and entities are frozen in place. A random amount of time later it will unfreeze and will kind simulate all projectiles and will usually kill me immediately. It's very very weird and I've never seen it before. The second I deactivated the mod I haven't seen it since. If this has been bug fixed since then please link me to that so I can read it as I haven't tried since and don't want to break my world. But I adore having companions. It makes the game feel a lot more alive :)

Thanks and great work as always.
Thank you for not telling me of this post, TCF.

I have received reports of that issue too. The other player having it were playing on the underworld, were you exploring there too?
Also, the next time that issue happen, could you try getting the client crash log and send it to me? It's located in My Documents/My Games/Terraria/ModLoader.

@topic Who's ready for a new update? Because... Well... I've been play testing it before launching so...
FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRST!!

Please don't hate me.

Companions will now be affected by buffs of nearby tiles.
Fixed an issue where the call dialogue added the companion to the team, when you don't have the space for it.
Leopold now has a Tungsten Broadsword as one of his initial items.
Malisha now has a Flintlock Pistol as one of her initial items.
Companions will now try carrying fallen allies in combat.
-> Companion nearest to the fallen ally will try picking them up.
-> A minor recovery effect will happen when the companion is carrying the ally.
-> Upon being revived, the companion will wait a little moment before placing the ally on the floor, if it is safe to place ally on the floor.
Shadow set visual effects will now work on companions.
Removed the extra difficulty boost from bosses, when you try to spawn them from the request list.
Being rescued will now remove Bleeding debuff from everyone in your team.
Fixed a number of moments where the companion messages didn't had their text codes interpreted by the mod.
Fixed a few shading issues on Cinnamon's body.
Alexander will gain 2% Cover Rate for sleuthing Daphne, instead of 0,02%.
-> My bad.
Fixed a bug where melee enchantment weren't working.
The Weight bar in the GSI will only show up after you have got at least one companion following you.
Increased the maximum weight of companions you can get from friendship rank to 7000.
Companions will now comment which world the temple door was opened.
Fixed a bug where the companion would tries to go reviving a fallen companion while mounted.
Fixed a bug where newly met companion mentioning were counting as event finished.
-> Depending on the companion you spoke with while having that bug, would sound like as if they were extremelly anti social.
The mod now knows who is the bounty monster, so you no longer is affected by debuffs from monsters that doesn't make sense.
Fixed an issue where bosses special effects and attacks weren't working.
-> Gladly, that didn't made a bug from Sapping and Osmose attacks to cause lots of rage.
Terrarian companions can now have skin and outfit options.
Miguel arrives!
-> Do his daily exercises and get fit.
Quentin arrives!
Companions will no longer have their last message on their head upon KO or Death.
Changed where the friendship heart is shown on the companion dialogue interface.
-> Will be shown on the left of their head part, instead of the right.
Added Trust system to the mod.
-> Companions gains trust with you:
-> -> When their friendship exp increases.
-> -> When their comfort stack increases (trust continues increasing even if comfort stacks are at max).
-> -> If the Trust level is lower than 20. Increases by 1 everyday. Also increases by 1 extra point if the companion is now living in your world.
-> -> Helped companion revive.
-> Companions loses trust with you:
-> -> When they enter knocked out state.
-> -> When they die.
-> -> -> For the above two, if the reason is seem to be by the player fault, the companion will lose more trust than usual.
-> -> When wall of flesh swallows them.
-> -> Cancelling a request from them that you've accepted.
-> -> Failing a request.
-> Depending on how low the friendship level of the companion is, they will refuse to:
-> -> Live in your world.
-> -> Follow you.
-> -> Giving Requests.
-> -> Letting you control them.
-> Depending on how low the friendship level drops, those may happen:
-> -> Companions will stop following you.
-> -> Companion will move out of the world.
-> You can check the trust level of the companion on the dialogue window.
Companions will now try using certain potions depending on situation:
-> Obsidian Potion when they're inside lava, or are in the Underworld.
-> Gills potion, when they're underwater, and their breath metter is under 20%.
Fixed an animation issue with Fluffles backward standing animation.
-> It were borrowing a frame from revive, instead of playing it correctly.
Fixed a bug where tile placement in houses weren't updating correctly.
Companions will try to abuse of pull saves for when:
-> About to take fall damage.
-> About to fall on lava.
-> When being inside lava.
-> When about to drown and your character isn't drowning.
-> Pull saves only happens when the companion is following you.
Fixed a issue with the revive action for mounted companions.
Companions afflicted by buffs or debuffs will no longer affect general companions commentaries.
-> That means there will be no delay before another companion be able to comment something.

Arrivals

As read above, this update introduces 2 new companions. Prepare yourself to meet:

Horse Guardian.png
Miguel: "*Hey! How are you supposed to save the world with that skinny body? Time to grow some muscles, Terrarian.*"

He's your personal trainer, like it or not. People have been slacking so much, that I thought they needed to do some exercises and get healthier, and that's what he has to offer to anyone who gets exercises from him daily. I tried adding some dialogues to him based on things I learned when I used to make exercises, so I hope It's actually mostly accurate?​

Quentin.png
Quentin: "Hi, I'm Quentin, an apprentice magician and a novice adventurer looking for new adventures."

This mage bunny was created by totote97, and well... He's mostly a terrarian, with a bizarre bunny head and a hat, or bunny ears, depending on your choice. Based on what he said, he's based on a character of a bunny storyteller from children stuff. He's 100% possible to find in-game, beside until the release of the update, I still didn't managed to get him, beside managed to make him spawn when testing his spawning. Heh.

I kind of wanted his storyteller part be part of his character, but currently I don't really have much time to make up stories he could tell, so that will be for future planning instead.​

Trust System

Due to people bullying the companions, I had to add a trust system. The trust system will give allowance to people to request more things of the companion, like asking them to move in, follow them, or even get requests. Currently, mostly you can lose trust with them if you let them die, if you let them be knocked out and not revive them, fail a request or cancel a request you accepted from them.

Depending on how low their trust drops, they will forcedly leave your party, or even leave your world. Don't worry, though. If the companions are living in your world, their trust will rise if they live well in your world. And if they're not, trust is restored every in-game day passed.

Also, as a side effect to this change, I took the liberty of adding "pull saves" AI for the companions. When following the player and they feel that are going to have their face smashed on the ground, or fall in lava, drowning, or even burning in lava, they will try pulling themselves to your position. That should reduce a lot of accidental deaths during your travels, includding on the infame underworld.

Ending

Well, I guess that's about it. Do be careful, since the Bounty Quests target modifiers were fixed, so now they should make things harder for you.

Enjoy your gameplay. :3
And have fun.

I've launched a new hotfix for the update. You were waiting for this one? Me too, and only took a few hours.
Added Alexander's missing greet messages.
Glenn's recruit npc will no longer be saved with the world.
Changed Quentin's colors.
Quentin gained a description.
Removed unnecessary extra info from Blue's description.
-> Of course she wouldn't rip apart creatures with her claws, right? Right?
Fixed Quentin's face being the one of a Terrarian.
Added Michelle's missing homeless dialogues.
Well, I guess Quentin is ready. Can you notice the difference between his new outfit color and the old? Because I don't.

I've launched a new hotfix for the update. You were waiting for this one? Me too, and only took a few hours.
Added Alexander's missing greet messages.
Glenn's recruit npc will no longer be saved with the world.
Changed Quentin's colors.
Quentin gained a description.
Removed unnecessary extra info from Blue's description.
-> Of course she wouldn't rip apart creatures with her claws, right? Right?
Fixed Quentin's face being the one of a Terrarian.
Added Michelle's missing homeless dialogues.
Well, I guess Quentin is ready. Can you notice the difference between his new outfit color and the old? Because I don't.
It wasn't just the underworld. It happened anywhere at any time. Very random seeming. I will try and get the crash logs but Im struggling to get Tmodloader to even try and load my mods right now.

Back
Top Bottom