tModLoader [1.4.4] TerraGuardians - Terraria Companions Mod

for the life of me, i cannot figure out how to give life crystals to my companion. It tells me to give them permission to use them but i can't find the button for it.

scratch that question.

also, this is most likely a "me" thing, but is there an option to disable the trust system? And how do you get multiple companions?

Is it possible to bring back the ability to make our custom players be companions like NTerraria?

sorry for the questions bombardment :D
Can't disable trust system.
To get multiple companions, you must rise the friendship rank, by leveling up the friendship of companions. You can do that by many ways.
Bringing custom players as companions like in N Terraria is not possible.

A new hotfix update is out now!
Fixed a bug where the game spammed knock out message on companions that are already ko'd.
The companions head banners will now be drawn correctly on their houses.
Fixed an issue where you needed 2 characters created before you can have Portrait of a Friend spawn with a new character.
Fixed a bug where buddies couldn't be assigned a house.
Fixed another bug where certain infos were being saved when they shouldn't, like companion life time and their status.
Liebre will now comment something else when he saves the soul of a player who's his buddy, and dies on hardcore mode.
Companions will now mention when someone pick them as their buddy.
-> If the person speaking to the companion, is the buddy of the companion that is mentioned the message, the message will change to a message from the companion to the player, instead.
Added a interface telling the current season, days and day of week. It's visible when inventory is opened.
-> The time shown there is different from world time, so the time passed is irregular compared to the world.
-> Think of this as a "Ether Realm time".
New worlds have the chance of spawning with more than one companion, depending on number of companions met on other characters, and your luck.
Don't let the time and season shown on the interface confuse you. As I mentioned above, the time is totally different from the world time. It's actually directly tied to the companions life time.

And now their infos shall be saved correctly.

Have fun :D.

Can't disable trust system.
To get multiple companions, you must rise the friendship rank, by leveling up the friendship of companions. You can do that by many ways.
Bringing custom players as companions like in N Terraria is not possible.
Ah, okay. Good mod nonetheless. Looks way more different then last time
I played it.

New hotfix came out. This one is special, because I tried fixing the 2P mode.
Blue's dialogue is no longer narrative.
Your character will no longer lie vertically while being carried by a companion.
Companions will make carried downed allies invincible from damage.
Fixed a bug where in 2P mode, the second player could control all followed companions.
Fixed issue where companion horizontal movement were inverted in 2P mode.
Fixed an error that happened when the mod tried deleting debuffs from your character upon calling rescue on knock out state.
Liebre can no longer receive damage while knocked out.
Companions that are set to live in your world will no longer leave when they have a house, and is at the time they should be going home.
You can now see the hotbar of the second player on 2P mode.
-> Use Left Shoulder and Right Shoulder buttons to change the inventory slot.
-> Unnarmed inventory slot is also selectable.
The new 2P Mode key bindings is:
-> Left Thumbstick = Move Companion
-> Right Thumbstick = Move aim
-> Left Shoulder = Select Previous Hotbar Slot
-> Right Shoulder = Select Next Hotbar Slot
-> Left Trigger = Jump
-> Right Trigger = Attack
-> Start = Start/Stop 2P mode
-> The keybinding is set based on a XBox controller layout. I don't know if it will work on other kinds of controllers.
When in 2P mode, companions following will be divided between the player and leader guardian.
Sadly, due to how Terraria controls are set, you need to have 2 controllers plugged in for it to work correctly, then go in the mod Client Settings, and set the Second Player Control Port to Two.
Well, at least I managed to attempt make that work. Oh yeah, I plan on working more on this too, so just you wait.

Have fun :3

Hotfix again.
Now definitelly fixed issue where companions were leaving the world while having a home.
Fixed a bug where downed allies about to be picked up by companions were shown as standing.
When being carried by a companion while knocked out, the camera will center the companion.
Fixed an error that happened when your character force rescue when KO'd.
Reduced trust gain for helping a companion be revived, to avoid exploit.
-> Having a companion be knocked out while that isn't the player fault, reduces trust by 3. Reviving them, used to give 5 points of trust. Now it gives 3, instead.
Changed how companions finds people needing revives.
-> Also made companions check out if someone needs to be picked up when in combat.
Hopefully now the issues are fixed? I guess?

Just want type about ungrateful bakas guardians leaving my world for no reason and here a fix for it.
Guardians flap their arms when go down from horisontally surface,both from hammered block and planforms.
Liebre have party saucer hat
Scunk cap constanly pull out and pull in torch if first one given to him,he also afrait of torch when sptint(torch fly behind him)

Edit1:Not only scunk,vladimir also do that with lantern,so that possibly everyone do that

Last edited:
Just want type about ungrateful bakas guardians leaving my world for no reason and here a fix for it.
Guardians flap their arms when go down from horisontally surface,both from hammered block and planforms.
Liebre have party saucer hat
Scunk cap constanly pull out and pull in torch if first one given to him,he also afrait of torch when sptint(torch fly behind him)

Edit1:Not only scunk,vladimir also do that with lantern,so that possibly everyone do that
Uh... What?

Uh... What?
I should have described it more clearly.

When guardians walk on horisontally surface,they play jump\fall animation for 0.1 second constanly,so its looks like they flap with their arms.That usualy happened when they walk down on stairs or horisontally block that beed hammered to horisontall shape

Liebre's party hat drawed in wrong position,above his scythe.So i call it party hat shaped alien saucer.

Guardians that hold torch or lantern consanly pull it out and hide it at 0.1 second intervals.

Not bug but question,Alex and Daphnie now not mountable by player?I try mount them but they sit on player shoulders instead
Also,few upates ago,you introduse Quentin.He appears in game or he not ready yet?

I should have described it more clearly.

When guardians walk on horisontally surface,they play jump\fall animation for 0.1 second constanly,so its looks like they flap with their arms.That usualy happened when they walk down on stairs or horisontally block that beed hammered to horisontall shape

Liebre's party hat drawed in wrong position,above his scythe.So i call it party hat shaped alien saucer.

Guardians that hold torch or lantern consanly pull it out and hide it at 0.1 second intervals.

Not bug but question,Alex and Daphnie now not mountable by player?I try mount them but they sit on player shoulders instead
Also,few upates ago,you introduse Quentin.He appears in game or he not ready yet?
Oh, It's less ridly now, and better to understand.

The issue of companions playing their fall animation when leaving a platform is known. That is because I didn't implemented yet some script, to check if there's a step under the player. I should try doing that some time later.

Based on what you said from Liebre, seems like I forgot to add the positioning of hats on him. I'll see into that.

Can you give me more information about guardians holding torches and lantern pulling it out and hide it in 0.1 second? Were they using some weapon meanwhile? Or is it happening regardless of condition? Beside I can check that later when I open the game.

Alex and Daphne no longer mountable?! I'll see into fixing that.
Quentin is in-game, but even I had some trouble finding him. It will require a bit of grinding for you to find him.

I hope I helped. Have fun :3

Can you give me more information about guardians holding torches and lantern pulling it out and hide it in 0.1 second? Were they using some weapon meanwhile? Or is it happening regardless of condition? Beside I can check that later when I open the game.
No,they don't use weapon or something else.
Spottet that first on scunk cap,i tried remove ranged weapon that i gave to him(but b'cause script he don't use it at all) and he still have that glitchy animation when he hold torch and then don't hold and then hold again.
By the way,he(scunk cap) have wrong torch drawing position when sprint,on normal walk\run torch position is fine.And while he sleep his boots textures sink a bit in floor textures

New update is out now.
Fixed Liebre's headgear positioning.
Dog companions will no longer mount on your back just because they're underage.
Companions will no longer "oscilate" when holding off hand items.
3rd person dialogues from Zacks were turned into 1st person.
A number of companions got dialogues they say when the player is their room mate:
-> Wrath, Alexander, Fluffles, Minerva, Liebre and Miguel.
Fixed an error that would cause due to the companion trying pull save when there's no leader player.
Fixed a bug where Minerva could spawn underwater.
Fixed issue where the Friendship Rank exp bar were not working correctly.
Liebre's plasma shell is now more visible while under effect of light depending on how many souls he carries.
Companions will no longer keep carrying allies revived upon carrying, until the companion carrying drowns when stuck underwater.
Blue's requests are now in 1st person, instead of 3rd.
Brutus spawn requirement will now count TerraGuardian companions living in the world.
-> The potence they affect his spawn rate is by half.
Fixed a bug where companion recruit npcs weren't being renamed upon spawning.
Cinnamon got some speed rebalancing.
Companions that are using furnitures will now leave them to try picking up someone knocked out.
Fixed an issue where the random variable was null when starting a dialogue.
Luna arrives.
-> She's also a Starter guardian.
You can no longer place solid tiles in a position that has a companion standing.
-> The hitbox used for that is the one of tiles, so It disregards sizes.
Companions got revamp on their AI regarding doors.
Added some requests that will require crafting some basic furnitures, and they also may end up asking you to craft a wooden sword too.
Fixed an issue with the companions melee attacks, that the last frame wasn't hitting foes correctly.
Removed old and unused combat script.
Death triggers on companions will no longer disregard distance.
Fixed a bug where melee attacks could end up not hitting monsters on the ground.
If you speak to a companion while mounted in another companion, the other companion will check the distance between them and your mounted companion, instead of the distance between you and the companion you're talking to.
The bleeding effect caused by being hurt by anything while knocked out had it's time reduced from 30 seconds to 5.
The Player Index for the second player has been changed to be the second by default.
-> Since first is taken by the game to control the player.
Sub Attack system was reworked.
-> Due to the rework, It will be called "Special Attack" instead.
-> You are now able to create script files dedicated to the script of the special attack, instead of the clunky mess that was used before.
-> Companions that had special attacks, had their special attacks reworked to work on the new system.
Fixed a bug with Captain Stench's vertical swing attack.
Fixed an issue where some innate attributes from companions weren't working.
Companions will now comment when they step on burning tiles.
Companions shall now try trampling less on their foes, when attempting melee combat.
Reduced the size of the text on the skills list.
Torches and glowsticks lighting distance and strength is now based on the companion scale.
-> Minimum lighting scale is set to 100%, so companions set smaller will not give less lighting distance.
Your companions will avoid using their offhand items while doing a number of actions.
Fallen companions carried by others will now be held a bit more above their chest.
Resting now makes the Ether Realm time pass.
Companions will no longer try being pulled to your position when your character is knocked out, and they're carrying your character.
Each Ether Realm season now has 30 days, instead of 32.
-> That may alter the companions birthday too.
The Guardian Selection Interface will now show when the companion will make birthday.
-> It will also show which season and day will it happen.
The Dryad is now relieved from giving tips about finding TerraGuardians.
-> She also got an update on her dialogues, fixing some inconsistences and mistakes.
Sorry if I don't sound much enthusiastic about the update, I kinda pushed myself into putting the update out, so after this, I need to do something fun to restore my mood.

Anyways, I'll try my best to tell you what is going on, without sounding so beaten, heh.

Arrival

Well, I asked you guys on Discord, if you'd like to have a tutor guardian, and if you do, which gender you'd like her. Well, here she is.

Reindeer Tutor Guardian W.png
Luna: "*Hello, I am Luna. I can try helping you with any question you may have, so don't feel shy about asking.*"

She wont be hard at all for you to find. You may even end up meeting her as soon as you meet a TerraGuardian companion.
She contains quite a number of topics about lores and mechanics, that you can use and see if can clear some questions.
In case her dialogues don't sound very conclusive, or need work, be sure to report the issue to me.

By the way, she's taking the Dryad's role into giving rummors about stray companions around the world. Asking her "Anything new recently?" will make her give a clue about some companion, or not, if she doesn't have any clues to give.

I think I exagerated a bit on her in-game size, though. I didn't nerfed it because for some reason, It looked fine?

Etc.

As I mentioned on Discord, I'll give a break of working on features for the mod, to instead work on adding contents to it.
There's actually 3 pig terraguardian pieces that needs to be implemented on the mod, and also a number of quests that I need to make, being that
one of them involves the pig terraguardians.

In the middle of that, I may end up adding more companions too, as I get into spriting them, or mod contributors make them, and I manage to implement them in-game.

By the way, now that the mod has a paralel date and time system running on the background, I need to think how I'll explore that further. On the ether realm that may have some importance, in the future, but what about the Terra Realm? Hm... At least now you know when your companions makes birthdays.

Well, I hope you guys have fun.

See ya.

Back
Top Bottom