PC Terrara Freezes Display

jamiebxo

Terrarian
Terraria recently started freezing my display, things likes music still run in the background but the screen will stay frozen.

There's a known freezing issue. I've been planning on posting a guide about it but I'm trying to get ahold of QA first to verify a couple things such as, is there a fix for it in the next patch because if there is then I won't need to write up a guide.

Anyways that's all besides the point. Let's fix your problem shall we?

There's a couple work arounds later in this thread.

Some more in this one.

Essentially it boils down to an Audio Device or Audio Driver conflict. Try some of those out let me know which ones you try and if they help. If you need me to explain any of them to you let me know.

My problem is different than these, once my display freezes it wont unfreeze until I power off my computer and turn it back on, this just doesn't effect terraria, it also effects my browser.

Oh in that case, let's see what the event viewer has to say.

Press start, type in "Event Viewer" and click the result that shows up under programs. On the left hand side click on "Windows Logs" then "Applications". Click on any errors and post screenshots of them so that I may see them.

Then Click on "Windows Logs" and then "System", same thing click on any error and post screenshots of them so I can see.

Because this isn't related to Terraria and is just a freezing in general problem, I was looking for any error regardless of the source.

Are there any errors you can get me screenshots of in the event viewer?

Also could you list the specifications of your machine? Let me know if you need to know how to obtain this.

My PC specs are Intel(R)Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7200 @ 2.53GHz and Windows Vista, there were only 2 errors that occurred are these.

Attachments

• ERROR 1.JPG
    ERROR 1.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 158
  • ERROR 2.JPG
    ERROR 2.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 192
Alright something I want to mention is Windows Vista is notorious for being resource intensive and on lower specc'd machines I recommend upgrading to a more modern OS such as Windows 7 or Windows 10. Your processor is a low end processor from 2008, the freezing could very well be caused by older hardware having trouble processing everything required of it.

How long ago did the freezing start, and what other programs do you know of that will trigger the freezing?

None the less, those two errors do not show me anything that may be indicative of your freezing issue. If you want to try upgrading to Windows 10 or even Windows 7 then we can hold off on troubleshooting till we get confirmation that the issue remains on a new OS. If you'd rather not upgrade then there's a couple things we can try to get more information on the freezing.

Edit: If you do decide to upgrade I recommend a clean install over using Windows Upgrade Tool. I've troubleshooted far too many issues caused by the upgrade tool, a clean install is always going to be the safest option.

Back
Top Bottom