PC Terraria 1.3.0.6 is Live!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a "problem"! Pf, as it have been from release of 1.3, as for up to this moment - farming moonlord by riding minecart into big circles, on expert. lol. The fact that he is now teleporting to you, is making farm even easer. All what u need is only minecart from mechanical bosses, and rod of discord to evade an only problem on boss - bosse's dead ray.

I still fail to see how making you switch up your strategy is "fake difficulty" Some of my favorite enemies in games do this. Such as my earlier example of the Golem and the Bitterblack Isles Knights from Dragon's Dogma. The Golem is immune to magic damage, which was interesting as an Arcane Archer.

In the best scenario its just "switch your strategy" or your playstyle... in the worst its farming days for the right equipment to play a game in way you didn't want to play it in the first place. The difference here is, they offer you a sandbox with 3 (or 4 with the summoner) rough edged character classes. So the expectation should be, that the game should have a equal difficulty in any situation with whatever class you choose, assumed your player skill is equal with this class and your equipment has the same power (or is the same tier for that matter). Sandbox and more or less forcing a player to change the way he played the game the last 50 hours doesn't fit together. They rendered a complete playstyle nearly useless with that for non other reasons than to make the game harder instead of fixing the underlying problem of why they even think it would be necessary to prevent players using that playstyle solely in that fight.

Last edited:
well at least the moon beam still doesn't go through blocks... *cough*
You just exposed the reason I don't understand why people find the Moon Lord to be so hard. Build an arena, dang it. I didn't even use an arena to kill him on my third try (i'm a :red:ing nerd tho), with an arena and a yoyo it must be incredibly easy. Just be patient, study his patterns and make an arena to avoid his powerful laser. And use potions, it helps!

If you really cant beat the moon lord I'd say don't even worry about it. You can always buy lumite. You can always buy the mining mounts. I beat the boss. And what I got out of him was rather disappointing. It's all combat gear. What are you going to do with it? Fight the moon lord all over again? PVP?! Maybe farm for lumite? If you don't want to charbroil random enemies with the shiny weapons, the mining mount is pretty much the only thing worth getting from the moon lord. That's it.

You don't have to touch expert mode as it is. I don't think I need to repeat what I think expert mode actually is. If you can't beat expert mode, it's simply not for you. It's a difficulty setting. Games have those. You can beat a game on easy and throw it behind the couch (I play all my games on normal then that's it). You don't have to touch the other difficulties and after I experienced ALL the moon lord drops I don't really know what to do. I will be building now. I won't be finishing my expert mode game up to moon lord when the reward is some fleeting idea of superiority. That may be my problem. I don't get caught up on pride. I don't feel like I have anything to prove. But I have also already experienced everything. So it drags down expert mode.

A :red:ing extra slot? I no longer want an extra slot thanks to a certain accessory combo. (hint: It has to do with building).

If there was another boss all this set me up for and I had to use the moon lord's drops to kill it, I'd tell people to suck it up and push on. That's what endgame gear is for, to kill a final boss. But if you get the end game gear from the final boss.. pfft. Woop de doo. I can celebrate by shooting a flamboyant shoop lasor into the sky or at the moon lord again?

I had my fun with the game. Don't get me wrong. But this has been nagging me for a while now in the back of my head. Why do I get the endgame gear from the final boss when the endgame gear should be required to beat the final boss? I can do nothing with the weapons. The mining mount is the only thing useful.

Also you can always make a new mining mount for a new character from normal.

True. Maybe for the towers keep it 1 minute but like you had said for the sigil, change it to 20 seconds or instant. Though, I notice that when using a goblin/pirate invasion item they give you about 20 seconds before they arrive, so you can get your defenses turned on, your potions drank and you can take that breath before you dive in.

I always figured the events were mostly prep time (for the random spawns) and to simulate them travelling to your spawn. Though, how you get such forward notice is beyond me :p

In the best scenario its just "switch your strategy" or your playstyle... in the worst its farming days for the right equipment to play a game in way you didn't want to play it in the first place. The difference here is, they offer you a sandbox with 3 (or 4 with the summoner) rough edged character classes. So the expectation should be, that the game should have a equal difficult in any situation with whatever class you choose, assumed your player skill is equal with this class and your equipment has the same power (or is the same tier for that matter). Sandbox and more or less forcing a player to change the way he played the game the last 50 hours doesn't fit together. They rendered a complete playstyle nearly useless with that for non other reasons than to make the game harder instead of fixing the underlying problem of why they even think it would be necessary to prevent players using that playstyle solely in that fight.

I disagree, making lifesteal less viable actually makes the other playstyles viable because lifesteal would be much, much more powerful than anything else on him. It doesn't disable lifesteal entirely, nor does it disable melee or mage weapons.

If there wasn't an outstanding problem, they wouldn't have felt the need to nerf it. Lifesteal allowed you to facetank the boss. Facetanking shouldn't be possible against any boss with "proper tier" gear.
which means lifesteal is broken. they didn't make spike cheese only not work against moon lord. he has no special vulnerability to it vs any other boss or enemy. nothing is special about that fight and that fight alone needing to disable the mechanic. if it were actually balanced there'd be no problem with it being used on him. if it needs to not work on him something is very wrong with how it was implemented. (if it isn't necessary then it'd just be assholish fake difficulty suddenly tacked on to the final boss(and him alone) out of left field)

Last edited:
I disagree, making lifesteal less viable actually makes the other playstyles viable because lifesteal would be much, much more powerful than anything else on him. It doesn't disable lifesteal entirely, nor does it disable melee or mage weapons.

Yeah, lifesteal isn't really fleshed out enough to even be considered a playstyle in this game. I think it's akin to complaining that a certain weapon isn't as viable against certain enemies. For example, the Nimbus Rod doesn't really have a place against fast paced enemies.

They only had a couple options against lifesteal facetanking the Moon Lord.
A) Crush lifesteal into a worthless pile of mush for the entire game.
B) Disable lifesteal for the fight (which they have actually allowed it for several second long windows)
C) Have the debuff decrease the amount of healing you receive from the lifesteal.

This isn't about taking away a "playstyle." But, they couldn't just buff everyone else's playstyle because it was about how one playstyle completely trivalized the final boss.

If you really cant beat the moon lord I'd say don't even worry about it. You can always buy lumite. You can always buy the mining mounts. I beat the boss. And what I got out of him was rather disappointing. It's all combat gear. What are you going to do with it? Fight the moon lord all over again? PVP?! Maybe farm for lumite? If you don't want to charbroil random enemies with the shiny weapons, the mining mount is pretty much the only thing worth getting from the moon lord. That's it.

You don't have to touch expert mode as it is. I don't think I need to repeat what I think expert mode actually is. If you can't beat expert mode, it's simply not for you. It's a difficulty setting. Games have those. You can beat a game on easy and throw it behind the couch (I play all my games on normal then that's it). You don't have to touch the other difficulties and after I experienced ALL the moon lord drops I don't really know what to do. I will be building now. I won't be finishing my expert mode game up to moon lord when the reward is some fleeting idea of superiority. That may be my problem. I don't get caught up on pride. I don't feel like I have anything to prove. But I have also already experienced everything. So it drags down expert mode.

A :red:ing extra slot? I no longer want an extra slot thanks to a certain accessory combo. (hint: It has to do with building).

If there was another boss all this set me up for and I had to use the moon lord's drops to kill it, I'd tell people to suck it up and push on. That's what endgame gear is for, to kill a final boss. But if you get the end game gear from the final boss.. pfft. Woop de doo. I can celebrate by shooting a flamboyant shoop lasor into the sky or at the moon lord again?

I had my fun with the game. Don't get me wrong. But this has been nagging me for a while now in the back of my head. Why do I get the endgame gear from the final boss when the endgame gear should be required to beat the final boss? I can do nothing with the weapons. The mining mount is the only thing useful.

Also you can always make a new mining mount for a new character from normal.
I don't really buy things from other players and like getting stuff for myself >.>

That's an impractical amount of chlorophyte involved, though...

They boosted the chlorophyte so more grows and the range is reduced for how close the deposits can be. I have 28 little 7x7 wooden boxes filled with 5x5 of mud(with the center block being chlorophyte) in the underworld that fill up pretty quick. The maximum yield is 336(56 bars) if i leave the center block. Enough for all your drill containment units and chlorophyte bullets.

I don't really buy things from other players and like getting stuff for myself >.>
I don't understand now - you're saying you like to get stuff by yourself but you complain when a broken mechanic that doesn't require to do any effort gets removed? What's the logic behind this?
[DOUBLEPOST=1437444854,1437444781][/DOUBLEPOST]
They boosted the chlorophyte so more grows and the range is reduced for how close the deposits can be. I have 28 little 7x7 wooden boxes filled with 5x5 of mud(with the center block being chlorophyte) in the underworld that fill up pretty quick. The maximum yield is 336(56 bars) if i leave the center block. Enough for all your drill containment units and chlorophyte bullets.
The mount actually requires 120 bars because of shroomite and spectre bars. :) That's a total of 720 chlorophyte ores, which is pretty damn huge

which means lifesteal is broken. they didn't make spike cheese only not work against moon lord. he has no special vulnerability to it vs any other boss or enemy. nothing is special about that fight and that fight alone needing to disable the mechanic. if it were actually balanced there'd be no problem with it being used on him. if it needs to not work on him something is very wrong with it. (if it isn't necessary then it'd just be assholish fake difficulty..so which is it?)
Okay, then they should just mushify lifesteal. It isn't fake difficulty to have an enemy have resistances and counters. Just because there isn't precedence throughout the game doesn't mean they can never add it. If they introduced enemies earlier on that countered lifesteal would you be happy? Then the game would introduce it early. Shoot, they could even make it some eldritch tentacle faced terror. Then maybe people would realize right off the bat that it is an attribute of the Moon Lord when they get there.

Do you think the Horrified debuff is "assholish fake difficulty" if not, why not? It's essentially the same thing. What about him pulling you infront of him when you get behind him? Everyone dying if you don't kill him in time?

I don't understand now - you're saying you like to get stuff by yourself but you complain when a broken mechanic that doesn't require to do any effort gets removed? What's the logic behind this?
I used the mechanic thats still viable for everything else in the game cause I couldn't beat him either wise. That mechnic was using something legit in game to get the stuff

I used the mechanic thats still viable for everything else in the game cause I couldn't beat him either wise. That mechnic was using something legit in game to get the stuff

You're talking about the spike/lava/mob thing right? Because them working on fixing that isn't new either. I believe it was quite some time ago when they fixed fireblocks from doing that.

Edit: Though, aside from bosses, the fix for mob protection can't really be applied easily.

The devs don't seem to agree with you on the legit part, since they removed this mechanic. I actually agree on the fact that it shouldn't be viable on any boss in the game. I still don't understand how you can complain about wanting to get the stuff by yourself if you don't put effort into it anyway.

You're talking about the spike/lava/mob thing right? Because them working on fixing that isn't new either. I believe it was quite some time ago when they fixed fireblocks from doing that.
I am referring to the cross necklace in general and other ways to make the boss much easier so it would be possible
[DOUBLEPOST=1437445109,1437445067][/DOUBLEPOST]
The devs don't seem to agree with you on the legit part, since they removed this mechanic. I actually agree on the fact that it shouldn't be viable on any boss in the game. I still don't understand how you can complain about wanting to get the stuff by yourself if you don't put effort into it anyway.
>Removed
>Still in the game for everything else
I think me and you have different definitions of removed

This issue is the biggest pain I've seen so far. No one on the dev or beta team experience any lag using steam multiplayer so it isnt exactly the easiest to track down. The guys have a general idea of what is doing it but not why. We will continue to look into it, as always all information about this said issue is much appreciated. :)
Indeed, and I'll continue to provide information as I go along, with whatever may be relevant. Hopefully I'll come across links to the problem.

On a side note, will there ever be an update that allows us to use vanity items for the pet/mount/minecart/etc slots? That would be so wonderful.

I am referring to the cross necklace in general and other ways to make the boss much easier so it would be possible

Ah, sorry. I misinterpreted your post. I thought you were calling the exploits mechanics.

Edit:
>Removed

I'm actually hoping this is the first step to this separate damage immunity to be applied to all boss damage.

[DOUBLEPOST=1437445109,1437445067][/DOUBLEPOST]
>Removed
I actually pointed out the fact that it still worked on all the other bosses right after I said that. Are you trying to be "right" for the sake of being right or are you actually trying to get something off this debate? You still didn't answer my original question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom