PC Terraria 1.3.0.8: Can Mac & Linux Come Out & Play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loki

Consigliere
Staff member
Re-Logic
Administrator
MacLinuxBannerA.png

Mac and Linux Terrarians, your day has finally arrived!

We here at Re-Logic are thrilled to announce that we are officially launching the Mac & Linux versions of Terraria today! This has been a very long time in coming - and we know how very much the Community has desired these new Terraria platforms, so we are eagerly looking forward to hearing your reaction. :)

For everyone, please note that this will be Terraria 1.3.0.8. This version ensures compatibility between Mac/Linux and Windows - no other substantial changes come with this update. The dedicated server software link is below:

Below, you will find a list of likely questions that you may have as well as a list of some known issues and workarounds. Of course, we fully anticipate the possibility of yet-to-be-discovered bugs - so when you encounter any of these, please report them using our PC BUG REPORTS SECTION. Please note that we have added some brand new fields and thread prefixes to help you properly submit your report by providing information that would be critical for the team that is working on any fixes. Please do your best to be accurate and complete with this!

A quick note of thanks to all of our dedicated Open Beta testers over the past few weeks - your hard work and patience has absolutely made for a better and more stable version that everyone can now enjoy.

kdcROYP.png

What operating systems are supported?
  • Mac: OSX 10.10 64bit, OSX 10.9.5 64 bit
  • Linux: Ubuntu 14.04 32bit or 64bit

What are the minimum requirements to play Terraria on Mac & OSX?
  • Required
    • Processor: 2.0 Ghz
    • Memory: 2.5GB
    • Hard Disk Space: 200MB
    • Video Card: 128mb Video Memory, capable of OpenGL 3.0+ support (2.1 with ARB extensions acceptable)
  • Recommended
    • Processor: Dual Core 3.0 Ghz
    • Memory: 4GB
    • Hard Disk Space: 200MB
    • Video Card: 256mb Video Memory, capable of OpenGL 3.0+ support (2.1 with ARB extensions acceptable)
divider.png

Can I play the Mac & Linux versions with Windows Players?
  • Yes! Mac, Linux & Windows versions of the game are all compatible with each other.
  • Not only that, but save files (worlds and players) should be able to be used within any version (so you can use your Windows saves in Mac and vice versa)

Can I download the server software separately from Steam?

If I have already purchased Terraria for Windows, do I have to buy it again for Mac or Linux?
  • Not at all! Your previous purchase of Terraria for Windows should allow you access to all three versions (Windows/Mac/Linux)

Is my game compatible with the console or mobile version of Terraria?
  • Unfortunately, Terraria for console and mobile are not compatible with the PC versions

divider.png

KNOWN ISSUES & WORKAROUNDS

Steam Only: After purchasing the game, Steam says I have a 'missing executable' and won't launch the game

• We are unable to resolve this on our end. However, We do have a workaround for you - and a request!
  • First, we strongly urge anyone encountering this problem to report it to Steam directly, in order to expedite a fix on their end
  • The spoilers below give step-by-step instructions on how you can workaround/resolve this on your own:
Mac 1.png

First, you will need to uninstall Terraria through Steam
Open your steam Library, right click Terraria and select "Delete Local Content..."

Mac 2.png

Then exit Steam completely: Right click on the Steam icon on your dock and select "Quit"

Mac 3.png

Open Finder, and select "Go" -> "Go to Folder..."

Mac 4.png

Paste in the following text:
~/Library/Application Support/Steam/config/
And click "Go"

Mac 5.png

Right click the file named "config.vdf" and select "Move to Trash"

Start Steam and reinstall Terraria following the process in the release thread.
Mac 1.png

First, you will need to uninstall Terraria through Steam
Open your steam Library, right click Terraria and select "Delete Local Content..."

Linux 2.png

Then exit Steam completely: From Steam, click "Steam" in the top left and select "Exit"

Open your preferred Terminal application and remove the following file:
Steam forums show the DEFAULT location to be ~/.steam/steam/config/config.vdf
Code:
rm ~/.steam/steam/config/config.vdf
However, if you installed via Ubuntu's apt-get feature the location MAY be ~/.local/share/Steam/config/config.vdf
Code:
rm ~/.local/share/Steam/config/config.vdf
If you are unsure - run both of these commands and it should cover the most common scenarios.

Start Steam and reinstall Terraria following the process in the release thread.

Where are my world and players saved?
  • Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Terraria
  • Linux: ~/.local/share/Terraria, or $XDG_DATA_HOME + /Terraria
Mac 3.png

Mac 4.png

~/Library/Application Support/Terraria
And click "Go"
In your preferred Terminal application:
Code:
cd ~/.local/share/Terraria
or to get there using your preferred GUI File Browser

From your Home directory, press Ctrl+H to show hidden files
Then open .local > share > Terraria

Why can't I copy/cut/paste in Linux or Mac?
  • Unfortunately this is due to a technical limitation. It has been disabled to prevent issues with the Operating System. While a future fix is possible, it is unknown if or when this would happen.

Why can't I favorite or link items? (Alt + Click does not work)
  • Linux and Mac both use Alt + Click for system interaction. The solution is to change terraria config.json file.
  • If you are unsure what a specific key is called, open the game and bind it to something else temporarily in the controls menu.
  • Keep in mind, if you change this key to something used for text chat in game. Attempting to link an item in chat will result in that key being repeated due to holding it down.
Mac 3.png

Mac 4.png

~/Library/Application Support/Terraria
And click "Go"

Open the file named "config.json" and change the following setting to a different key
Code:
"KeyFavoriteModifier": "LeftAlt",
In your preferred Terminal application:
Code:
sudo nano ~/.local/share/Terraria/config.json

OR

sudo vi ~/.local/share/Terraria/config.json
or to get there using your preferred GUI File Browser

From your Home directory, press Ctrl+H to show hidden files
Then open .local > share > Terraria

Open the file named config.json and change the following setting to a different key.
Code:
"KeyFavoriteModifier": "LeftAlt",

Why can't I use the number keys to select items on my hotbar? (Non-QWERTY keyboards don't seem to work)
  • This is a known issue for Mac & Linux with no current known solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Checked just today for any updates, Steam and Forums. Happened to read changelogs of 1.3.0.X releases on Gamepedia Wiki. Noticed "1.3.0.8" page, and it lead me there.

The devs are still alive! Its great to hear this, since my friend LOVES Terraria, but has a mac, so he couldn't get it. now he can play more! (He hasn't played since 1.1 :p )

Yes! :p.

Now all we need is a Terraria Game where we can have every where (Maybe be playable on the Wii, : 3, and 3DS, or Nintendo, or 2DS? I don't know >_<.)

upload_2015-8-12_12-4-55.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom