PC Terraria 1.3.0.8: Can Mac & Linux Come Out & Play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's wrong with Windows 10? I'm running it right now and it's awesome.
Meh, no console there. No dwm, no package manager. I had to generate a pair of public-private ssh keys on windows-driven vm recently, it was a real pain! Ended up copying my existent keys through dropbox.

As I work on linux environment, it must be installed on my laptop. Finally, when terraria for linux is out, i can now get rid of windows on my drive completely, since it was there to play the game only. Phew, so happy! (hate dualboot)

Last edited:
Hi Guys, i'm running a late 2013 rMBP OS X 10.10.5 but i'm still having problems launching the game from steam, I created an alias from the install folder and can run the game no problem I just cannot launch from the steam client. Also I just tried creating a multiplayer game yesterday had a couple of successful teleports from 2 pads back and forth but then they stopped working, the teleport sound and visuals happen but i didn't actually get moved to the other teleport pad.

Those of you who want to know how to get rid of the "[mac-and-linux-open-beta]" text from the game name in Steam, follow these steps: (note that this text is harmless and you're not still stuck on the beta, if that's what you thought. This is just for those who find the text annoying)

1. Navigate to the "steamapps" directory for your system.

Mac: ~/Libraray/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/

This path for the Mac is Wrong. It should be :

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/Steamapps/​

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but is there a way to change the Right Mouse Click button to a button on the Keyboard?

Is there a way to run the game minimized on linux? As far as I can tell, terraria always pauses on linux when window loses focus, except when in multiplayer. Even if launched under a separate xorg instance. :/

Singleplayer needs an option "pause when minimized = yes/no" desperately.

And also a "manual pause" key as an alternative to autopause when inventory open, so that you could have autopause off but still pause as needed.

I have a mac OS X Yomisite and i can't launch it, I'm not sure what i need to fix ,its pretty new too

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-06 at 12.27.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-06 at 12.27.40 PM.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 374
Sorry if I was disturbing, verbose, or this problem is duplicated.

Congratulations that finally we have official edition of Terraria for Linux.

But I noticed that in the requirements it reads that this game required a
specific Linux distribution, which is Ubuntu in this case.

So I'm confused. Are there any difference between distributions? Is it possible
to run it on other distributions?

I tried with openSUSE, it crashed.

I tried to install Steam first, it works. Then I download Terraria, it crashed.

I retried from a terminal, collected output, googled, got nothing.

Then I tried to perform a distribution update. It didn't affect anything.

So obviously the best solution is to build it from source. But, I guess I can't
get the code, right?

So, I think if we need to use a specified, it must because of the
dependency problem, right? Then, could you please tell me the
dependency tree of the game?
That could make everything easier.

Thanks in advance. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

EDIT:

I noticed Terraria used Mono. Does that means I forgot any Mono modules?

So we have new dedicated Linux server software. This is great! I can run a Terraria server on Linux without all the workarounds formerly required to emulate the .NET platform, or not?

I've found many "How to Set Up a Server in Linux" articles, but the ones I've found are pre-1.3, using the Windows server code, and most still refer to installing mono as a prerequisite, or Tshock, or TDSM, or some such.

Would some Terraria server admin/expert please point me to a current line by line, "How to Set Up a Terraria Server v. 1.3, in Linux," guide?

Thank you.

Last edited:
So we have new dedicated Linux server software. This is great! I can run a Terraria server on Linux without all the workarounds formerly required to emulate the .NET platform, or not?

I've found many "How to Set Up a Server in Linux" articles, but the ones I've found are pre-1.3, using the Windows server code, and most still refer to installing mono as a prerequisite, or Tshock, or TDSM, or some such.

Would some Terraria server admin/expert please point me to a current line by line, "How to Set Up a Terraria Server v. 1.3, in Linux," guide?

Thank you.

Go to steamapps terraria directory and launch TerrariaServer binary.

Meh!! Terraria server running with Mono. I want a genuine Linux server to run in my Raspberry PI!! Mono eats lots of resources to run the server. This is no Linux versios, is Windows version emulated in Linux.

Meh!! Terraria server running with Mono. I want a genuine Linux server to run in my Raspberry PI!! Mono eats lots of resources to run the server. This is no Linux versios, is Windows version emulated in Linux.

Yes sadly this is what a lot of linux "ports" nowadays are, although to credit the Terraria team, Terraria runs more smoothly on my linux computer than most Mono games.

Although, if you call it emulated you'll get people complaining, as it's not emulated with Mono, it's just an awful piece of software / framework, not built well at all to run on Linux.

Just so I know how this works...

I have 5 computers, and what I want is to be able to play with my kids over local network. The way I understand it is that you can only be logged in to Steam on one computer at a time, so would that mean I'd have to get 5 logins for Steam and buy 5 copies of Terraria?

Just so I know how this works...

I have 5 computers, and what I want is to be able to play with my kids over local network. The way I understand it is that you can only be logged in to Steam on one computer at a time, so would that mean I'd have to get 5 logins for Steam and buy 5 copies of Terraria?

You could also put Steam into offline mode on the other 4 computers. Or buy the DRM free version on GOG.com and install that on the computers.

You could also put Steam into offline mode on the other 4 computers. Or buy the DRM free version on GOG.com and install that on the computers.

Thanks for the help. So the GOG.com version can be installed on multiple computers and all played at the same time? That's cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom