PC Terraria 1.3.0.8: Can Mac & Linux Come Out & Play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They'll probably make separate tags & forum sections for Windows, Mac & Linux

eh, nah. They have separate tags & stuff for OTHER platforms. Why would they generalize three quite different platform specifications to one "PC"?

Possibly, but the Windows, Mac and Linux versions all have the same content and probably nearly the same code. I think keeping them together would be a reasonable choice.

We have seperate tags for making Mac and Linux related threads, which is especially relevant for sections like Bug Reports where labeling it as such can be very useful.

However, ultimately all three are inter-compatible and moving forward should be equivalent, so they are all the same version of the game . . . thus there won't be extra Mac or Linux sections. Anything you can say in one would be perfectly reasonable to post in the others, and in those instances when specifying one or the other is important, the new thread tags work nicely. :)

@iToby, the reason Consoles and Mobile are separate is because they aren't compatible with PC or each other, and each are a different version entirely, and published and ported by different companies. All 3 are different from each other as night and day, while Windows, Mac and Linux are all very, very similar.

frodo_crying.jpg

It's finally here guys. It's so beautiful.

Finally, the faded Terraria stickers on my Macbook actually make sense. A big thanks goes out to Skiphs, Arkhalis, Loki, and all the rest of the Re-Logic team!

I am using Lubuntu 14.04 (it's a bit more friendly in requirements of hardware) and the game is not working for me :/ window frame flashes for a while and nothing more happens. Steam says I'm in game for a moment. Does it mean ubuntu-based distros won't work? Is it ubuntu-only? Is someone running the game on either lubuntu/xubuntu/kubuntu, etc.?

Great job. I'm a Windows user, but I think that these versions will allow more players to play this game. They deserved it after so much waiting. Keep it up!

It's amazing to finally see the full release for Mac/Linux! I do have one question, though. I was wondering why my Steam library still says its in the open beta. Do I have to change something in the properties to play the full release?

Edit: Nevermind. I figured it out.
Would you mind explaining it to me? I would greatly appreciate it!!

The system requirement is disappointing :(

But fork it I will try it anyway :D

Thank you to the team for finally bringing the game to both Linux and Mac!

It's amazing to finally see the full release for Mac/Linux! I do have one question, though. I was wondering why my Steam library still says its in the open beta. Do I have to change something in the properties to play the full release?

Edit: Nevermind. I figured it out.
You tease. What magic did you work?

Well, I just went ahead and uninstalled it (delete local content) and downloaded it again, which fixed it. But if you found another way, others might like to know.

Last edited:
Those of you who want to know how to get rid of the "[mac-and-linux-open-beta]" text from the game name in Steam, follow these steps: (note that this text is harmless and you're not still stuck on the beta, if that's what you thought. This is just for those who find the text annoying)

1. Navigate to the "steamapps" directory for your system.

Mac: ~/Libraray/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/
Linux: ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/ (I'm pretty sure, but haven't installed on linux myself)
2. In this directory is a file that begins with "appmanifest". Mine was named "appmanifest_105600.acf". If you have multiple of these, open them until you find one with "name" set to "Terraria".

3. Once you have the right appmanifest open, you'll find part way down under a "UserConfig" section that there is a property called "betakey" and it is set to "mac-and-linux-open-beta". Simply remove that entire property.

If you're still confused, make this:

Code:
"AppState"
{
    "appid"        "105600"
    "Universe"        "1"
    "name"        "Terraria"
    "StateFlags"        "4"
    "installdir"        "Terraria"
    "LastUpdated"        "1439441918"
    "UpdateResult"        "0"
    "SizeOnDisk"        "264511890"
    "buildid"        "727610"
    "LastOwner"        "76561198005539474"
    "BytesToDownload"        "2713440"
    "BytesDownloaded"        "2713440"
    "AutoUpdateBehavior"        "0"
    "AllowOtherDownloadsWhileRunning"        "0"
    "UserConfig"
    {
        "language"        "english"
        "betakey"         "mac-and-linux-open-beta"
    }
    "MountedDepots"
    {
        "105603"        "4052311285910024095"
    }
}

look like this:

Code:
"AppState"
{
    "appid"        "105600"
    "Universe"        "1"
    "name"        "Terraria"
    "StateFlags"        "4"
    "installdir"        "Terraria"
    "LastUpdated"        "1439441918"
    "UpdateResult"        "0"
    "SizeOnDisk"        "264511890"
    "buildid"        "727610"
    "LastOwner"        "76561198005539474"
    "BytesToDownload"        "2713440"
    "BytesDownloaded"        "2713440"
    "AutoUpdateBehavior"        "0"
    "AllowOtherDownloadsWhileRunning"        "0"
    "UserConfig"
    {
        "language"        "english"
    }
    "MountedDepots"
    {
        "105603"        "4052311285910024095"
    }
}

Then just save the file, restart steam, and you're done.

Normally you'd right-click the game, go to "properties", and click the "betas" tab. However, if the game in question has no active betas then this tab is hidden. Even though Terraria has no betas registered on steam anymore, the betakey text still sticks there and you can't change it because the tab is hidden. That's how this minor steam bug happens. Rest assured though, you're not in the beta even though it says that. With no betas registered, there's only one game install for Steam to run: the full stable version.

Here's proof that the text is harmless:

6Hp2wov.png

I simply modified the text to whatever I wanted. The game still runs exactly the same ;)

Last edited:
This is great!
But i can't run it. Tried in Slackware and Debian. Both have same error, which was reported to you in this thread ("ctx->have_GL_ARB_instanced_arrays" error).
I know you support only Ubuntu, but i hope you'll fix it nonetheless. :)

PS: i am using x32 bit Linux distro and game bought on GOG.

Attachments

• log.txt
    20 KB · Views: 542
This is great!
But i can't run it. Tried in Slackware and Debian. Both have same error, which was reported to you in this thread ("ctx->have_GL_ARB_instanced_arrays" error).
I know you support only Ubuntu, but i hope you'll fix it nonetheless. :)

PS: i am using x32 bit Linux distro and game bought on GOG.

I don't have the requisite permissions to reply directly in that thread, but I can give a couple of pieces of clarification:

Terraria.bin.x86_64: /home/flibitijibibo/Programming/reProjects/MojoShader/mojoshader_opengl.c [...]
I am not flibitijibibo. :-D

Note that it's listing a path to a .c file. That's the path to the source code as it was when your copy of Terraria was compiled. (Multiple source code files go into a single binary file, so it's easier for the programmer to find problems if it's done this way.)

obscurcoeur@:red:42:~/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Terraria$ sudo ./Terraria
[sudo] password for obscurcoeur:

That, in and of itself, may be part of your problem. Non-administrative apps are not designed to be safe to run as root and doing so is a Bad Idea™. In fact, it can cause bugs because libraries with no administrative use won't be tested under those conditions and, if one of the libraries Terraria depends on is misbehaving because of it, the developer will likely just tell the Terraria devs to stick something like this in their game:
Code:
if (Mono.Unix.Native.Syscall.geteuid() == 0) {
  Console.WriteLine("This game must not be run as root. Exiting for your safety.");
  System.Environment.Exit(1);
}

What are the system requirements just for the dedicated server? Also, can we get a linux build (or source so we can compile ourselves) for ARM architecture?

I'd love to run a Terraria server on my Odroid-C1 (similar to a Raspberry Pi), if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom