PC Terraria 1.3.0.8: Can Mac & Linux Come Out & Play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That, in and of itself, may be part of your problem. Non-administrative apps are not designed to be safe to run as root and doing so is a Bad Idea™. In fact, it can cause bugs because libraries with no administrative use won't be tested under those conditions and, if one of the libraries Terraria depends on is misbehaving because of it, the developer will likely just tell the Terraria devs to stick something like this in their game:
Code:
if (Mono.Unix.Native.Syscall.geteuid() == 0) {
  Console.WriteLine("This game must not be run as root. Exiting for your safety.");
  System.Environment.Exit(1);
}
No, I'm not running it as root. This error was reported here as well.
I guess we have to wait.

Yes ! Finally now I can get terraria on my Mac! And have 1.3 instead of just 1.2.4 which I was waiting for on mobile !!

my game is still on beta how do i fix please help me :(

You're not still in beta. Everyone that was in the beta has been switched over to the current build. The text that says "[mac-and-linux-open-beta]" is just a harmless artifact that's been left over and means nothing.

However, if you still want to be rid of it, uninstalling and reinstalling the game, as Shaedric suggested will work. If that doesn't work, or if you don't want to go through all the time and hassle of uninstalling and reinstalling, you can manually edit the text to either modify it to something else or just remove it outright. Chevex explained the process a few posts back on this board.
Those of you who want to know how to get rid of the "[mac-and-linux-open-beta]" text from the game name in Steam, follow these steps: (note that this text is harmless and you're not still stuck on the beta, if that's what you thought. This is just for those who find the text annoying)

1. Navigate to the "steamapps" directory for your system.

Mac: ~/Libraray/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/
Linux: ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/ (I'm pretty sure, but haven't installed on linux myself)
2. In this directory is a file that begins with "appmanifest". Mine was named "appmanifest_105600.acf". If you have multiple of these, open them until you find one with "name" set to "Terraria".

3. Once you have the right appmanifest open, you'll find part way down under a "UserConfig" section that there is a property called "betakey" and it is set to "mac-and-linux-open-beta". Simply remove that entire property.

If you're still confused, make this:

Code:
"AppState"
{
    "appid"        "105600"
    "Universe"        "1"
    "name"        "Terraria"
    "StateFlags"        "4"
    "installdir"        "Terraria"
    "LastUpdated"        "1439441918"
    "UpdateResult"        "0"
    "SizeOnDisk"        "264511890"
    "buildid"        "727610"
    "LastOwner"        "76561198005539474"
    "BytesToDownload"        "2713440"
    "BytesDownloaded"        "2713440"
    "AutoUpdateBehavior"        "0"
    "AllowOtherDownloadsWhileRunning"        "0"
    "UserConfig"
    {
        "language"        "english"
        "betakey"         "mac-and-linux-open-beta"
    }
    "MountedDepots"
    {
        "105603"        "4052311285910024095"
    }
}

look like this:

Code:
"AppState"
{
    "appid"        "105600"
    "Universe"        "1"
    "name"        "Terraria"
    "StateFlags"        "4"
    "installdir"        "Terraria"
    "LastUpdated"        "1439441918"
    "UpdateResult"        "0"
    "SizeOnDisk"        "264511890"
    "buildid"        "727610"
    "LastOwner"        "76561198005539474"
    "BytesToDownload"        "2713440"
    "BytesDownloaded"        "2713440"
    "AutoUpdateBehavior"        "0"
    "AllowOtherDownloadsWhileRunning"        "0"
    "UserConfig"
    {
        "language"        "english"
    }
    "MountedDepots"
    {
        "105603"        "4052311285910024095"
    }
}

Then just save the file, restart steam, and you're done.

Normally you'd right-click the game, go to "properties", and click the "betas" tab. However, if the game in question has no active betas then this tab is hidden. Even though Terraria has no betas registered on steam anymore, the betakey text still sticks there and you can't change it because the tab is hidden. That's how this minor steam bug happens. Rest assured though, you're not in the beta even though it says that. With no betas registered, there's only one game install for Steam to run: the full stable version.

Here's proof that the text is harmless:

6Hp2wov.png

I simply modified the text to whatever I wanted. The game still runs exactly the same ;)

Can you guys start releasing the dedicated server through the Steam Tools section just like other dedicated server software? I would prefer to be able to have it auto-update through steam, etc.

hey i just got terraria for my mac and i forgot my steam password XD can you tell me how to find it in my profile?

I bet they are really getting those nerfs down in windows. But I'm glad linux is getting terraria because I may go linux over windows 10.
What's wrong with Windows 10? I'm running it right now and it's awesome.
[DOUBLEPOST=1439863045,1439862905][/DOUBLEPOST]
hey i just got terraria for my mac and i forgot my steam password XD can you tell me how to find it in my profile?
Uh, it's not on your Steam profile. You gotta reset it. Look up how to "reset your Steam password" on Google. Also, this is why you should make Steam remember your password by clicking "Remember my password" on the login screen. :p

What's wrong with Windows 10? I'm running it right now and it's awesome.
[DOUBLEPOST=1439863045,1439862905][/DOUBLEPOST]
Uh, it's not on your Steam profile. You gotta reset it. Look up how to "reset your Steam password" on Google. Also, this is why you should make Steam remember your password by clicking "Remember my password" on the login screen. :p

After windows 8, I'm getting sick of their :red:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom