Terraria 1.3 The Destroyer Expert Guide

SgtxStiffy

Terrarian
The Destroyer

A complete joke in normal mode
An utter disaster in expert... or so we thought.

I have an extremely short guide to stop you from doing what I did when I initially started expert hardmore (with a completely fresh character, no post-plantera weapons or armor). I figured, how hard can this Destroyer be in hardmode expert? So I set up my normal arena, go do a little bit of mining to get a full set of palladium, and then get two shotted for around 250 damage per hit.
My initial reaction was the same I had with Skeletron on expert. They made this guy too hard. When in reality, all they did was change the strategy needed to kill them. Different weapons, different arenas.

The inarguable numero uno strategy for killing The Destroyer on expert mode is as follows.

The Pre-Step.
Collect enough (preferably) Titanium to make armor. I never dropped bellow 200 health using this strategy, so you could probably afford to use mythril, maybe ever palladium. Obviously these are just the ores I have in my world, but you get what I mean. Make sure you get the helmet that boosts your range damage.
Then, head to the underground hallow and farm souls of light. Make keys of light (15 souls) and place them in chests on the sky bridge you should have by this point because lets be honest sky bridges are the best. Any screen long flat space will work for this. Placing them in the empty chests will spawn hallowed mimics, which have a 25% chance of dropping the
Daedalus Stormbow. This is the most important weapon for fighting The Destroyer.
Head over to the Hallow once you're obtained this weapon and kill unicorns and pixies. You want the pixie dust and the unicorn horns. Once you've obtained at least 3 unicorn horns and 9 pixie dusts, head back to your home base, craft however many arrows you'll need to convert all of your unicorn horns and pixie dusts into holy arrows. 600 should be plenty, as it took me less then 200 to kill The Destroyer.

Set up an about two or three screen long platform of dirt blocks between 5-10 blocks off of the ground. Flatten out the area underneath the dirt blocks as much as possible, and the area which isn't flattened, or is a hole, just put dirt over it. The reason why you do not want wooden platforms is because when you're shooting the Daedalus Stormbow, the arrows rain down from the sky in groups of 3 or 4 per arrow used. When they collide with anything, they burst into starts (because you're using holy arrows). These stars will go through the one block thick dirt path, but they won't travel through the ground. This means that if The Destroyer is between the space that's under your dirt path and the actual ground, the stars will still be able to hit him. However, if we did this with wooden platforms only the arrows would hit him, as the arrows would collide with the ground, sending the stars also into the ground.

Place campfires and heart lanterns along your platform to boost your regen (even though it's not really needed).

Craft your mechanical worm and make sure you grab the potions that will help you in the fight, and also a pumpkin pie to get the well fed buff.

The potions I used were as follows:
Hunter Potion - So you can see The Destroyer easier as he's coming up.
Ironskin Potion - Obviously for the defense boost, you should have one of these for every boss fight.
Archery Potion - For the damage boost to our stormbow.
Heartreach Potion - To make collecting the hearts from the probes easier.
Regeneration Potion - To help with health regen in case things go south.

The Fight
Summon him as early as you can into the night (you don't need all the time, but again, just a precaution) and completely wreck his face. Do your absolute best to avoid getting hit by the head as he emerges because that is what does the most damage. You should have rocket boots or some sort of flying accessory by this point, so whenever he emerges, fly the OPPOSITE WAY HE IS GOING. If he emerges going up and to the right, fly to the left. Hold down your shooty shoot button with the stormbow and watch them completely wreck both The Destroyer and his probey minions. You can quite easily drop him within a minute using the stormbow.

Congratulations! You've killed The Destroyer!
It should be noted this strategy *apparently* works on The Twins as well. At least that's what my friends say. But who knows, they could be lying.
*edit After trying this out on The Twins I can confirm it does work. I may do a guide for them as well, however killing The Twins using this wasn't as easy as The Destroyer.

Last edited:
I was just about to fight the destroyer for the first time in my expert playthrough, i'll give your strategy a shot ! Time to farm some souls :D

EDIT : Oh well, while farming for souls, a hallowed mimic spawned and dropped the bow. How convenient :cool:

EDIT 2 : Oh my god, took only 150 arrows and Destroyer Expert Mode was destroyed just like a poor little worm crossing the path of your pickaxe :eek: Strategy approved !

Last edited:
I was just about to fight the destroyer for the first time in my expert playthrough, i'll give your strategy a shot ! Time to farm some souls :D

EDIT : Oh well, while farming for souls, a hallowed mimic spawned and dropped the bow. How convenient :cool:

EDIT 2 : Oh my god, took only 150 arrows and Destroyer Expert Mode was destroyed just like a poor little worm crossing the path of your pickaxe :eek: Strategy approved !

Good news! I just tried it, and it turns out that the exact same strategy works on the twins, though it is a bit more difficult. It takes a lot more evading of the damages, but if you have wings, just flying around and using the bow works on them as well!

Thank you for the great tips! It was an incredibly easy fight, although I found I didn't actually use the arena but a line of rope that I had used to gain access to a floating island earlier on in game. I just sat there on the rope and shot him with the Daedalus Stormbow and he was dead in a matter of seconds.
Afterwards I also noticed that I had forgotten to swap my helmet for my mask (which would have given me more ranged damage) and didn't even use the ranger emblem I had gathered..... I used about 150 arrows per fight with full adamantite armour I also used an archery potion along with the typical buffs. I did get knocked off the rope (by the lasers) multiple times but I had wings to regain my position. The obsidian shield can also be used to negate the knockback.

Last edited:
I would like to confirm that with better armor then this is effective with Skeletron Prime. :)

Killing the Destroyer multiple times and getting Hallowed armor with the Ranged benefit is good.

EDIT: I beat all three mechanical bosses in a matter of minutes with this.

Last edited:
It was harder than I thought, but I beat him with Orichalcum armor. Took me 4 tries, but when I used regen and ironskin potions, I did it.

EDIT: 100 messages, yaaay!

Hi Guys, if you's having trouble killing the Destroyer i've made a quick tutorial on how you can kill it easy!

Thanks GuyInJeans! Ill be making more videos of all the bosses. if you have any specific requests I can make them sooner.

Can I destroy the destroyer by using a column of rope and the gatligator with explosive bullets in regualr harmode?

If your arena is well prepared, I think it should be possible. The bullet spread might be a bit useful for the big amount of probes (but If I recall correctly, exploding bullets still harm the player, so watch out).

I had nearly killed him thrice. NEARLY.

I went so :red:ing mad for failing what used to be my go-to money farm that I googled destroyer expert guide.

Found this.

Now I had my payback. I killed 5 in the same night with about 400 holy arrows. (I had titanium ranger + Magic Quiver, though...)

F*** that stupid worm.

Back
Top Bottom