Terraria 1.4.3.3 - Steam Deck Optimization Update Release Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hotfix 1.4.3.4 is now live, see notes in the OP.

You will need to get the latest dedicated server exe as well (link also in the OP)

Nicee :passionate:

I was expecting the "lucky coin isn't working as intended in multiplayer" bug to be fixed, but this update is good nevertheless. I especially like the NPC happiness part :D

GENERAL CHANGES
  • Summoned Minions, Sentries, and their projectiles should no longer harm critters
Every time you gais touch Summoner Class, I get a mini heart attack! 🧐 🥤 This is an odd change for five (5) reasons.
  1. ForTheWorthy - This is/ was a great advantage to have over other Classes in this Mode; exploding Bunnies are dangerous!
  2. Around the time the Player will likely gain access to 'The Guide to Critter Companionship', they shouldn't have any 'contact damage' Minions (if they're even interested in having this feature). What's up with this change?
  3. Capturing rare, or Golden Critters safely, was an advantage that non-Minion users had of Minion users.
  4. So you mean now, I don't get to passively collect Critter Banners anymore, I have to farm for them now like a 'normy?
  5. Also, unlike most other Classes, the Zoologist and Summoner Class speak often, as she also sells your first pure-Summoner Weapon, the Critter Companion Guide shouldn't go overlooked, especially if they're actively using Mounts and want this feature.
  6. Lastly, de-Summoning Minions was part of the bait catching process, meaning, you have to "tone it down" and switch gears to Fish, which was pretty immersive, was this an attempt to streamline the Class yet again? 🤔 🥤
Unless there's something I'm missing here, this is an unnecessary change (and unwanted, at least by me), and takes away more fun features than it likely adds, because again, The Guide to Critter Companionship is already a thing. I would ask y'all to please revert the changes but, I already know that'll be a fruitless endeavor.

• Flinx Fur now requires less to research in Journey mode
Why though? This will already be a much-more powerful set with the buffs to Summoner all-around, this is an unnecessary change.

• All food (except Ale and Sake) now require less to research in Journey mode
...even the ones sold by the Traveling Merchant? This is yet another unnecessary change, most of the more exotic foods are "collectors items", there was some strategy to collecting all the Food Items if you wanted them, that's gonna unfortunately get lost with this change. There's plenty of easy-access Food Items if somehow gaining access to food was an issue? It isn't though, especially with the Oasis Biome, and the newer foods added by the Don't Starve Crossover... what's this change about??

• Heart and Star Statues are now twice as likely to be found in worldgen compared to other statues
Why though? These Statues are 'busted', and are only going to overlap with the already nerfed-by-updates progression/ challenge. Many of these other changes make sense (i.e. Wall of Flesh), but the more nuanced parts of this game seem to be getting steamrolled, and I'm getting nervous. I was looking forward to this update but... I'm not so sure anymore.

I have a feeling that Bosses are likely gonna disable Enemy Spawns in this update too (a thing I've been dreading for months), just as I feared; sucks, 'cause I was gonna play Terraria with the new features as a way to hold off on Elden Ring for several months but, we'll just have to see how this plays out. %:sigh:☕

Last edited:
The number of NPCs you can have in a town before Crowded penalties begin to take effect has been increased by 1
Honestly why not just remove the "Crowded" penalty altogether? It serves no other purpose but to annoy builders who prefer single large bases / towns in one area with all the npcs.
Hated neighbor / biome penalty is enough if you really want to punish players for building bases how they want ;) crowded penalty on top of this is just pointless additional penalty.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is intentional, but the Spectre Hood has lost all of it's perks except the 6 defense.

I'm not sure if this is intentional, but the Spectre Hood has lost all of it's perks except the 6 defense.

Not seeing this at all. Just had folks confirm it heals, etc. in game. Are you sure you have the whole set? Remember, the Hood bonus is tied to the set bonus.

Not seeing this at all. Just had folks confirm it heals, etc. in game. Are you sure you have the whole set? Remember, the Hood bonus is tied to the set bonus.
Sorry, I should have ben more clear. The tooltip just says the name and defense. When I equip it, it doesn't raise the stats of the magic weapon in the weapon's tooltip (the mask does, I checked). The image below shows what I mean.
1645821249627.png

1645821106933.png

@Loki, Hi Loki, just saw the updates now when I launched Terrarria earlier on PC and saw the last digit of the version number had gone so I quickly checked and wow, you guys have released two updates within a relatively short amount of time optimizin the game balance wise and lagwise making sure it works fine on the Steam Deck, and of course the obligatory handful of hotfixes that come with updates too, as those are also important, well done, guys.

Admittedly underwhelmed. My Dungeon issue still hasn't been addressed, and this doesn't seem to be in-line with what Chippy revealed. Must be another update at a later time.

Sorry, I should have ben more clear. The tooltip just says the name and defense. When I equip it, it doesn't raise the stats of the magic weapon in the weapon's tooltip (the mask does, I checked). The image below shows what I mean.

That's because it doesn't give any benefits except defense unless you equip the other set pieces. It's completely intentional and has been that way for a while now.

This ^

Admittedly underwhelmed. My Dungeon issue still hasn't been addressed, and this doesn't seem to be in-line with what Chippy revealed. Must be another update at a later time.

Chippy's reveal was about 1.4.4. This is 1.4.3.3. Not the Labor of Love update yet. ;)

The dungeon bug you documented a year ago seems quite complex; behavior on block boundaries tends to move things around in weird ways (like hoiking, even though the blocks in your video aren't hammered) and multiplayer makes most bugs worse, even on local servers.

Bugs as complex as this are often unsolvable. Computer programs as complex as terraria have so many moving parts that an obscure artifact like this might never be solvable.

I saw in some of your posts that you hated the dungeon redesign and hoped that they might remove the new collapsing bricks as a result of this bug. I think that it is unlikely they will remove a large portion of gameplay due to a rarely-encountered bug.

Given your multiple posts over a year apart, it seems clear they're aware of the bug, and it is certainly residing calmly in some bug list somewhere while programmers tinker with it. There shouldn't be a need to continue reporting it or to expect a certain deadline, and there is certainly no need to take personal ownership over a bug. Taking a video like you did, though, and carefully documenting it was definitely the best way to be helpful.

We want stained glass great again!

Nothing against other changes, they are great, but seriously, who benefits from nerfing stained glass? It doesn't make the game more balanced, but furthers the need for grinding.
Please change it back in 1.4.4

The dungeon bug you documented a year ago seems quite complex; behavior on block boundaries tends to move things around in weird ways (like hoiking, even though the blocks in your video aren't hammered) and multiplayer makes most bugs worse, even on local servers.

Bugs as complex as this are often unsolvable. Computer programs as complex as terraria have so many moving parts that an obscure artifact like this might never be solvable.

I saw in some of your posts that you hated the dungeon redesign and hoped that they might remove the new collapsing bricks as a result of this bug. I think that it is unlikely they will remove a large portion of gameplay due to a rarely-encountered bug.

Given your multiple posts over a year apart, it seems clear they're aware of the bug, and it is certainly residing calmly in some bug list somewhere while programmers tinker with it. There shouldn't be a need to continue reporting it or to expect a certain deadline, and there is certainly no need to take personal ownership over a bug. Taking a video like you did, though, and carefully documenting it was definitely the best way to be helpful.
Honestly, the Dungeon was never an issue until they brought in the crumbling bricks. Once those were introduced, SOMETHING changed and the enemies now just freely clip into them, regardless of where they run into it. Top, bottom, or sides, they will just swoop into them. If ranged enemy gets into them, like a spellcaster, then you can't hit them anymore. It's mega annoying and turns the dungeon from a reasonable annoyance to "Why do I even bother going into here when half of the dungeon path is crumbling brick and I'm only being a masochist in staying in this buggy mess?"
The last time I had reported it, iirc one of the moderation team or dev members showed up and said they couldn't reproduce it. I could consistently reproduce it (as seen in the video). I seriously wish that something could be done about it, or at least give us the option to disable crumbling brick in world gen. This issue SERIOUSLY degrades the overall quality of gameplay whenever I start a new world.

Honestly, the Dungeon was never an issue until they brought in the crumbling bricks. Once those were introduced, SOMETHING changed and the enemies now just freely clip into them, regardless of where they run into it. Top, bottom, or sides, they will just swoop into them. If ranged enemy gets into them, like a spellcaster, then you can't hit them anymore.
Though I wasn't personally exposed to the newer pains of the Overworld Dungeon (as I had Dangersense + Hunter Vision consistently running at the time), my co-op Partner was confused by the newer layout, thinking that it abruptly ended (which was a rare bug that could happen in 1.3.5), until of course, I was called upon with my Sharingan Eyes to see trough the 'illusion', all by happenstance, but also armed-to-the-teeth with Bombs and Dynamite.

Unintuitive design choice isn't necessary a mark against a games design choice(s), at least not by itself, what I did realize however, at least in my playthrough, was that even with Bombs, navigating the Overworld Dungeon was still a drag, as the Crumbling Bricks rarely gave-off the 'domino, cascading effect' that I personally felt they should, whenever mined or destroyed.

The Dungeon is also no cake-walk, at least not if you choose to attack it in the-most-common-manner, keeping in mind that-this is me 'stepping outside of myself', because my first instinct is to go to the Underground Jungle or Desert and leave the Dungeon be (a least for the time being), but I know that most Terrarian's consider the order of business to be King Slime, EoC, EoW/ BoC, Skeletron.

This being the case, I suspect there are no effective answers to enemies that phase though walls at that point in progression, because that'd spike the difficulty of this area, to about the same tier as molten cavern/ pre-Underworld, where it's possible to come across Imp's and Undead Tim. 🤔🥤

It's mega annoying and turns the dungeon from a reasonable annoyance to "Why do I even bother going into here when half of the dungeon path is crumbling brick and I'm only being a masochist in staying in this buggy mess?"
I can imagine, and I'd totally support rallying behind you to have this problem 'fixed' and be a priority, because I'd just gotten done accusing a previous Terrarian of being unreasonable, coming back to this area with Hallowed Gear in Hardmode, but if this is a regular occurrence, I could see the frustration, and the need to overcompensate. 🤔🥤

The danger of leaving something like this open-ended, is that it starts to paint many of Terraria's other unforgiving mechanics in a negative light, and I worry because some of these, and other circumstantial features are great when contextualized, but bad when it could be assumed as just being yet another developer oversight. I hate being the one to have to say it again but, I think it's time to stop... at least adding to the game, and just focus on fixing what isn't working entirely well. 😬 🤷‍♂️

The last thing this game needs is to turn into a 'buggy mess' for the sake of newer content, everyone has a tolerance level (loyal fans even turned on Bethesda Softworks, whom are notorious for making fun, but buggy, unstable games), which mine is pretty high, as I Mod Skyrim, but even I know when to stop, because a fun-new-feature, stops being "fun" when things start breaking.

The last time I had reported it, iirc one of the moderation team or dev members showed up and said they couldn't reproduce it. I could consistently reproduce it (as seen in the video). I seriously wish that something could be done about it, or at least give us the option to disable crumbling brick in world gen. This issue SERIOUSLY degrades the overall quality of gameplay whenever I start a new world.
Unfortunately, this is starting to become a trend, happening gradually, in a "frog in slowly boiling water sense". First it was the hits to performance, which is understandable, but still a bit suspect. Then it was the questionable 'gameplay choices', some of which I totally missed, such as Torch Luck and the issues with Overworld Dungeon you've made me privy to, and others too egregious to miss, like Summoner Class and The Constant, Don't Starve Special Seed.

I personally felt like there were some critical 'misses', after every content update after the initial 1.4 release. That's why I keep having these growing concerns with every newer update, in total contrast to others who're extremely excited. I think it's time for the to Devs pull back a bit and focus on fixing what already exists, which they kinda are, I guess , but I mean... without the newer issues being piled on-top of already-existing ones. 🤔🥤

I never wanted to be that guy, telling Devs what they should be doing with their own videogame, but I truly feel as if they've lost sight of what Terraria is at this point, and all this newer 'stuff' is starting to just bloat the game with content, which would be fine under any other circumstance, but not at the cost of gameplay performance, which objectively took a hit at a certain point in 1.4's life, that I can't quite pin down.

For me, it's mostly been the slowdown and need to 'downgrade' my graphical settings... 😬 🤷‍♂️ Ok, fine Terraria, I still love you, I can make the adjustment. However, things seem to keep piling on, with no end in sight, and I can only imagine the hit PC Terraria is gonna take, when/ if cross-play is ever achieved, especially if any anti-cheat software will need to be added to protect Console Players.

Dang... and here I thought I'd never be that guy but... %:sigh:☕

Last edited:
Though I wasn't personally exposed to the newer pains of the Overworld Dungeon (as I had Dangersense + Hunter Vision consistently running at the time), my co-op Partner was confused by the newer layout, thinking that it abruptly ended (which was a rare bug that could happen in 1.3.5), until of course, I was called upon with my Sharingan Eyes to see trough the 'illusion', all by happenstance, but also armed-to-the-teeth with Bombs and Dynamite.
A friend and I, in our 2nd playthrough together (together at least, I've played quite a bit since... I think 1.2.x) on Expert Mode... Our Dungeon was quite literally 60%+ crumbling brick. Once you got through the first room where the Guardian would spawn, it was nothing but digging for the longest time with one person on defense. ...However, this becomes a problem when enemies want to clip into the walls and desync between players. The fire donuts especially.
This being the case, I suspect there are no effective answers to enemies that phase though walls at that point in progression, because that'd spike the difficulty of this area, to about the same tier as molten cavern/ pre-Underworld, where it's possible to come across Imp's and Undead Tim. 🤔🥤
There are SOME. If you have a large enough Melee weapon that isn't a Yo-yo, or the Vile Thorn, you have weapons that can plausibly hit them. Otherwise, you're SOL. At least with Tim and the Imps, you can very easily get to them, or summon a minion in their area to smack them until they bugger off. With the Dungeon Brick, they're in solid blocks, so you can't do that.
I can imagine, and I'd totally support rallying behind you to have this problem 'fixed' and be a priority, because I'd just gotten done accusing a previous Terrarian of being unreasonable, coming back to this area with Hallowed Gear in Hardmode, but if this is a regular occurrence, I could see the frustration, and the need to overcompensate. 🤔🥤
It's straight up unfair, rather than being a difficulty tweak. If an enemy can just slide into the wall and suddenly you're unable to fight back, having armor later on won't help. You'll still have the same problem (but perhaps better block-piercing weapons to fight back with.)
The last thing this game needs is to turn into a 'buggy mess' for the sake of newer content, everyone has a tolerance level (loyal fans even turned on Bethesda Softworks, whom are notorious for making fun, but buggy, unstable games), which mine is pretty high, as I Mod Skyrim, but even I know when to stop, because a fun-new-feature, stops being "fun" when things start breaking.
I agree. Similar things happened with PAYDAY 2, where it started off as a very well made team-based co-operative survival to complete the objectives. Then it became a rollie-pollie slaughterfest with balance thrown out the window, various abilities and weapons being bugged (Even some enemies being bugged), and terrible amount of bloating for content.
Then it was the questionable 'gameplay choices', some of which I totally missed, such as Torch Luck and the issues with Overworld Dungeon you've made me privy to, and others too egregious to miss, like Summoner Class and The Constant, Don't Starve Special Seed.
What happened with Summoner? It's one of my two mains (the other being Mage), and I quite enjoy it. It's nice for when you need to farm rare drops, and offers a harder experience with the (inb4 I get a warning for this) bullet hell boss fights. Especially so with The Empress at Day Time.

A friend and I, in our 2nd playthrough together (together at least, I've played quite a bit since... I think 1.2.x) on Expert Mode... Our Dungeon was quite literally 60%+ crumbling brick.
I can somewhat relate to this, but only because I played the Drunken Seed version of the Overworld Dungeon much later on, which seemed to be about 3x bigger than a Vanilla Dungeon would normally be (still not entirely sure, could've been even bigger than that, but I stopped exploring after finding every Biome Chest); I'm pretty sure the Crumbling Blocks behaved in a similar manner to my own, not entirely clearing the way, even if it seemed as if they should have.

The difference-maker had to be, that I was using Desert Tiger (the pre-buffed version). The entire run was an analysis on the Minion itself that was abruptly cut short because of the much-needed buff, but mining thought those Crumbling Blocks was still my least favorite thing, even though I was definitely overpowered at the time, and didn't have to worry much about Enemies on the other side of it.

Once you got through the first room where the Guardian would spawn, it was nothing but digging for the longest time with one person on defense. ...However, this becomes a problem when enemies want to clip into the walls and desync between players. The fire donuts especially.
As I somewhat suspected, what you're describing sounds both like pre-Hardmode Underworld exploration and much closer to Hardmode Underground Jungle exploring, which is unacceptable so early in the game. Though it's obvious the phasing through walls isn't intentional, most the other things you'll experience here are (like swarming due to the Water Candle buff/ debuff), which means it's especially vital for this area to have a consistent experience for all players involved, as well as a reasonable countermeasure.

There are SOME. If you have a large enough Melee weapon that isn't a Yo-yo, or the Vile Thorn, you have weapons that can plausibly hit them. Otherwise, you're SOL. At least with Tim and the Imps, you can very easily get to them, or summon a minion in their area to smack them until they bugger off. With the Dungeon Brick, they're in solid blocks, so you can't do that.
Exactly, the difference here is that the player cannot reasonably prevent the inevitable bottlenecking the Dungeon will present you with, you simply won't have the tools, so it's important that both the level itself and the enemies in it behave properly and consistently, or the balance of this area is thrown out-of-whack.

If this is what Terrarians have been trying to describe to me about this area (mostly in the Steam Forums), that I've been mostly dismissive about, I feel awful. This absolutely shouldn't be happening, and if the feature cannot reasonably be fixed, no matter how rare the instance is, should be removed.

It's straight up unfair, rather than being a difficulty tweak. If an enemy can just slide into the wall and suddenly you're unable to fight back, having armor later on won't help. You'll still have the same problem (but perhaps better block-piercing weapons to fight back with.)
🤔 🥤

I agree. Similar things happened with PAYDAY 2, where it started off as a very well made team-based co-operative survival to complete the objectives. Then it became a rollie-pollie slaughterfest with balance thrown out the window, various abilities and weapons being bugged (Even some enemies being bugged), and terrible amount of bloating for content.
...as I always try to be clear about, many of the scenarios and stories I paint, or warn about, are things that've already happened before, elsewhere. No one person, group or company is immune to these pitfalls; so it's important that we remind each other that "it can happen to you" when we see the obvious signs.
  • It happened to Capcom, though they were kinda asking for it...
  • It happened to Activision/ Blizzard, though this had to do with culture/ behavior outside of their games.
  • It happened to Bethesda Studios, but mostly because their fanbase became more 'cultured'.
  • It even happened to be beloved CD Project Red, who was destined to "replace" Bethesda Studios.
I only want the best for a company/ group like Re-Logic, as they feel like they're the Developers that gamers like myself have been waiting so long for, but it can happen to anyone, and the reasons why it happens are almost always wildly different from the last.

What happened with Summoner? It's one of my two mains (the other being Mage), and I quite enjoy it. It's nice for when you need to farm rare drops, and offers a harder experience with the (inb4 I get a warning for this) bullet hell boss fights. Especially so with The Empress at Day Time.
It depends on who you ask, but the things we can all agree on is that it's tier placement is odd and the manner in which Whip-stacking works, only exacerbates the issue. Though I don't agree with the manners in which players are suggesting it be fixed (which I don't even think is the issue), I mostly try to stay out of it, because my opinion won't matter much here; too much pride and "I told you so's involved". 🧐 🤷‍♂️

All I can do is hope they find a clever way to "fix" the problem, without gutting the potential that was added, but they have their work cut out for them, because now they have to compete with the potential 1.4.4 Summoner, that'll be much more powerful by sheer circumstance (i.e. Queen Spider's tier has been increased by at least two levels [10min active use-time], both Spider and Bee Armor's tier was increased by the buff to Bewitching Table).

Somehow, Obsidian Armor, which wasn't entirely the problem IMHO, will have to sit either comfortably between Bee Armor and Spider Armor, or be an alternative to Spider Armor in a 'lesser sense', because it'll need "breathing room" for Hardmode... "talk about a rock and a hard place". 🤞😬🤞

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom