Console Terraria 1.4 on Consoles - So how's it like?

Random Fellow

Skeletron
Terraria recently released its final Jounrneys end update on consoles. Being a PC guy I was honestly still exicted for the launch for consoles. Now, seems like there are bugs, as expected but it also seems like they're getting terminated fast. But that aside, how is 1.4 on consoles so far? You guys are lucky, sure you got it late but I would give anything to experience the update for the first time again, such a cool update. Reinvigorated my interest in the game and felt like playing a whole new game, like you guys are spoiled, you'll know what I mean 2 months after you beat the Moon Lord on a new 1.4 world.

Anyways, hows it like? Having fun? Build anything cool? How major are the bugs now? And hey maybe if you're a PC guy you can share your first 1.4 experience.

Lucky bastards getting the update late

Console is very buggy right now, and the new control scheme is a bit unintuitive. We are also stuck on 1.4.0 right now, so lots of little PC-exclusive QOL stuff still isn’t in game. M+K also doesn’t have any shortcut binds like quick trash or quick deposit, and it is generally better to switch to controller if you are planning to navigate menus for any extended period of time. Splitscreen is also really bad and buggy and more than 2 extra players tanks the FPS. No Online players and split screen at the same time. Overall however, I’ve been having a blast playing 1.4, and I am having a fun terraria experience. I am comforted also knowing that the dev team is hard at work fixing the bugs and everything will be better soon. :)

Consoles been handling well for me, I needed time to adjust to the new controls and the new UI but Ive not had any major issues unlike some people like the XBOX users and the Syncing File bug which is now fixed, yes there are still bugs and glitches in the game, but knock on wood its been fine for me at the moment.

Although I have played 1.4 on pc and mobile, all I can say is I am loving it in console… I don’t know why but it feels like I am playing 1.4 almost for the first time

Depending on how you like games, I recommend pc more then anything else but if you can only get it on console then do so, once you get everything down it can be good
Anything's better than mobile lol. Not to :red: on mobile players and the devs, they put a lot of time into making it a better experience on mobile but Terraria is too intense and fast-paced for mobile you need a good Keyboard&Mouse or Controller on a widescreen. Again if you like mobile good for you this is my 2cents.

Anything's better than mobile lol. Not to :red: on mobile players and the devs, they put a lot of time into making it a better experience on mobile but Terraria is too intense and fast-paced for mobile you need a good Keyboard&Mouse or Controller on a widescreen. Again if you like mobile good for you this is my 2cents.
........ you just said that talking to a main mobile player lol

Ive tried mobile, and im not gonna lie, the controls were kinda whack not saying that in a bad way theyre fine for the devices they were designed for, but with my autism it look a while for me to get used to them and even then it was kinda finnicky, i had trouble with the console controls intitally but got used them, and again with the 1.4 release i needed time to get used to the controls but i got the hang of them and the old scheme is back i had to play a while to get used to the old controls but again it's fine, i had no problem with the console controls, but i actually said outloud to my self when i first played mobile oh my god how in the world do people manage to play with these controls cause it was a mindblow at the time.

On Xbox, and it's been really buggy for me. Im not in anyway ungrateful for the amount of hard work put in to port the game. But i've encountered various bugs and issues in just an hour of playtime. Here are just the major ones: The inventory cycle being laggy which can either be a minor nuisance or death depending on when it happens. Accidentally crafting something I didn't want because the item I was TRYING to craft moved on me. And the inventory menu as a whole being extremely cluttered and more complicated.

BUT! It's still Terraria and I still had a good time overall, and I think in a couple of updates the port will be flawless!

Last edited:
Terraria recently released its final Jounrneys end update on consoles. Being a PC guy I was honestly still exicted for the launch for consoles. Now, seems like there are bugs, as expected but it also seems like they're getting terminated fast. But that aside, how is 1.4 on consoles so far? You guys are lucky, sure you got it late but I would give anything to experience the update for the first time again, such a cool update. Reinvigorated my interest in the game and felt like playing a whole new game, like you guys are spoiled, you'll know what I mean 2 months after you beat the Moon Lord on a new 1.4 world.

Anyways, hows it like? Having fun? Build anything cool? How major are the bugs now? And hey maybe if you're a PC guy you can share your first 1.4 experience.

Lucky bastards getting the update late
happy it happened not too late also I was one of the many who had the loading files glitch a the very start of the new updates

Played last on PC around 2 years ago, which was 1.3.6, and bought Terraria on PS5 today. How do people handle the controls, especially during combat, and when mining or building? Only tried the tutorial so far, and I struggled rather a lot. Will try to get into it, but would love to hear advice from veteran console players about things, such as ways to improve the control setup. It felt a lot more natural on PC, and I imagine the big fights against bosses and invasions will be extremely brutal when I can't really aim properly, or quickly enough.

Anyway, looks like a lot changed in 1.4, and I'm kinda giddy about the 9999 stack size, which I hope is for various bricks and suchlike too. Maybe we don't need 1000 chests any more! 😆

Played last on PC around 2 years ago, which was 1.3.6, and bought Terraria on PS5 today. How do people handle the controls, especially during combat, and when mining or building? Only tried the tutorial so far, and I struggled rather a lot. Will try to get into it, but would love to hear advice from veteran console players about things, such as ways to improve the control setup. It felt a lot more natural on PC, and I imagine the big fights against bosses and invasions will be extremely brutal when I can't really aim properly, or quickly enough.
It can take a bit to get used to playing on console, especially if you are used to playing on PC with a keyboard. Just like anything the more you practice the better you’ll get. As someone who switched to primarily playing on console, I can say that it can become just as intuitive as playing on PC. The only things that have never become easy to use are Yo-yos and Magic Missile type weapons which were designed for a mouse.

Also, in my opinion the default control schemes are kinda garbage. They aren’t very intuitive and lack a lot of useful options like the Dynamic Hotbar. I would recommend going through the bindings and settings things up in a way that makes sense to you. Then as you play you can adjust things until it feels right. Just make sure you take screenshots of your control scheme because there is no way to save it.

A733B89D-6421-4A0A-A28F-B21A3511DB61.jpeg
9A558E2D-934B-4E80-B1E0-334DD685C0E5.jpeg
BF37B540-CF89-40D4-B20A-F4D7ADF680B9.jpeg
0D7A2BA5-A239-42CD-8EFF-6154BDFCFBD9.jpeg
CE798E22-A80D-47EA-B4D9-BF38EDEFA2DA.jpeg
A9BF718D-2C65-4E59-8496-6495E20595A0.jpeg
045BC2FB-7702-4F88-B5FE-C1CB091F0F79.jpeg
1CEB5172-D9D4-4BE5-A1AD-DADEDDC4943F.jpeg
8562809A-BC9E-44EE-96AC-2BE276F88E3C.jpeg
DD5D4D28-935E-4DFD-AAFA-33A9B40C5EA1.jpeg

Last edited:
It can take a bit to get used to playing on console, especially if you are used to playing on PC with a keyboard. Just like anything the more you practice the better you’ll get. As someone who switched to primarily playing on console, I can say that it can become just as intuitive as playing on PC. The only things that have never become easy to use are Yo-yos and Magic Missile type weapons which were designed for a mouse.

Also, in my opinion the default control schemes are kinda garbage. They aren’t very intuitive and lack a lot of useful options like the Dynamic Hotbar. I would recommend going through the bindings and settings things up in a way that makes sense to you. Then as you play you can adjust things until it feels right. Just make sure you take screenshots of your control scheme because there is no way to save it.
Thanks. Will take a look at your controls setup later. The PS5 controller ran out of juice :D

The start was horrific, because I couldn't figure out how to build properly, so had no shelter the first night. Died 12-15 times, and the spawn location turned into a Graveyard. Not great.

Almost got a cramp from hitting R2 so much, but once I found a tickmark for repeatable attacks, that helped a lot. It's awkward to change tools quickly, tho, so much nicer on keyboard where you can hit "1" and suchlike, and I also struggle with inventory management, and what buttons to press to do different things. Just mining and building is slow because that pointer thing goes all over the place when you move, and the smart function isn't very smart. But I'm managing okay now. But also can foresee many problems when trying to tackle bosses and the invasion events. From what I recall, those were pretty difficult at times. Jumping, grappling, attacking this and that way. Will be difficult when everything feels slower with a controller. However, I'll take a look at your setup when the battery is recharged, and see if I can improve things a bit.
---
Impossible to double post here, but hopefully tagging @Russ_Guss_Doodles helps. How do you manage with grapple hook and aiming?

For better or worse, I only have one thumb on the right hand, and to aim where to 'park' the grapple hook, I'd need to use the right stick and also one of the face buttons. I'm not familiar with Switch controls, but looks like kinda the same issue with your setup too? The default is "O" on PS.

Admittedly I haven't changed anything yet, because I'm dreading going through the whole thing, with probably several functions getting overwritten when I try something else. Waste so much time trying to remember what buttons do what during combat, exploration and inventory, so not much is intuitive. And keep hitting the big pad (up top) when I want to go into the inventory. Probably because it was like that in both God of Wars that I recently played. As an aside, wish we could use e.g. drag-left on that pad, but don't think that works in this game. It's only clicking. Would have in practice given us 4 more 'buttons' to use. Without the need for holding in another one, which makes things so confusing :(

Last edited:
Impossible to double post here, but hopefully tagging @Russ_Guss_Doodles helps. How do you manage with grapple hook and aiming?

For better or worse, I only have one thumb on the right hand, and to aim where to 'park' the grapple hook, I'd need to use the right stick and also one of the face buttons. I'm not familiar with Switch controls, but looks like kinda the same issue with your setup too? The default is "O" on PS.
When you're not using the right stick for aiming the movement stick can be used to aim. So when you want to grapple you let go of the right stick, point the left stick in the direction you want to grapple, and then activate the grappling hook however you have it set up.

Admittedly I haven't changed anything yet, because I'm dreading going through the whole thing, with probably several functions getting overwritten when I try something else. Waste so much time trying to remember what buttons do what during combat, exploration and inventory, so not much is intuitive. And keep hitting the big pad (up top) when I want to go into the inventory. Probably because it was like that in both God of Wars that I recently played. As an aside, wish we could use e.g. drag-left on that pad, but don't think that works in this game. It's only clicking. Would have in practice given us 4 more 'buttons' to use. Without the need for holding in another one, which makes things so confusing :(
Yeah, there are not enough buttons for how many options there are which forces you to learn a bunch of combined inputs. It's what makes learning to play with a controller so difficult along with how finicky the cursor can be. You'll eventually get the hang of and like I said before, you can always change the control scheme to what makes sense to you.

Went back and forth on some things that didn't work like I thought. For example, tried to switch the Inventory so that open/close was the same button, but that made looking into chests weird, so had to go back. Still feels weird to close the inventory with a different button than what opens it, but no way around it I guess.

Need to play with this more, but hope it will be okay. Though I'm sure I'll mess up a lot with chests now, due to being used to the D-pad for moving around in there. Sad about losing Grid Snap too, but unfortunately it can't be kept while using D-pad for other things.

Jump: X (was L2)
Grapple: L2 (was O)
Quick mount: Down
Quick heal: Up
Quick mana: Left
Quick buff: Right

Remove buff: R1+X (awkward, but I never used this on PC for hundreds of hours)
Prev buff: R1+Left
Next buff: R1+Right

Inventory
Use item: R2 (was L2, but why have use item for both L2 and R2? Seems weird)
Favourite: L2 (was R2)
Split stack: L3 (was something weird like L2+R1 while standing on your head and counting backwards from 100)

Chest
Loot: Big pad up top
Deposit: Big pad (forget what it was, maybe same?)
Loot all: Up
Deposit all: Down
Quick stack: Right
Restock: Left (these are bound to mess me up, see above)

Hotbar #1: L3 (testing this, but a quick button for main weapon would be very useful)
Toggle minimap: R1+big pad (was undefined)
Toggle chat: (removed, as I don't play multi)

Here's hoping this will turn out okay. Just nervous, because these settings get wiped super easily, as I pointed out here.

Will actually need some adapting away from using L2 as jump, but it's usually X in other games, so it should be better. I see what you wrote above about Grapple and aiming, but still think it'll be better to have it on L2. Maybe that button will mostly go unused now, but from what I recall when I last seriously played the game, I used it a lot during boss fights, and being able to more quickly use it while also jumping and attacking should be an improvement in survivability.

Losing grid snap will suck when building, and if only I had better imagination I should get the NPCs something better than wooden boxes on top of each other. Send help! 🤣

(Bugger, my nice formatting went out the window due to the forum eating up spaces, even with Courier New)

Back
Top Bottom