Game Mechanics Terraria 2 classes should TRULY have their own mechanics

BluuMoon3

Terrarian
I dont know how many others feel this way, but to me the current classes mostly feel like variations of the ranger class. Most viable melee weapons shoot projectiles, most magic weapons also just shoot projectiles but colorful (Literal ranger retexture), and summoner sort of suffers from this as well with summons either shooting projectiles or becoming projectiles. The only way to make classes truly have their own distinct identities is to give them mechanics that are unique enough to warrant a class. Also, I'm writing this with the assumption that the sequel's class scheme will be based on the current.

Melee - The melee class could have mechanics like bleed, poise, parrying, actual shields, and maybe some other things. The first two that I mentioned are notably from Elden Ring and the whole Souls series. Bleed could do damage over time while creating a weak spot that multiplies the next hit. Poise is a mechanic that determines the amount of hits something can take before it is stunned for a special attack of sorts. Melee weapons could also have their own individual movesets with pros and cons.

Ranger - Not much for me to say here except maybe more ammo types (?).

Mage - I've made this a suggestion before but basically magic weapons should lean toward local environmental effects. In other words magic weapons should have some effect on reality around you to a certain degree, since that's what magic in common fiction usually revolves around. You could also go with "manipulation of natural forces". Along with this, projectiles are of course welcome but shouldn't be a crutch. The current magic class suffers particularly from a lack of definition. Its hard to make a class based on something you dont even have a definition for.
  • Local time dilation
  • Illusion casting
  • Temporary barriers, maybe make them breakable
  • Elemental attacks that synergize with each other, maybe like the system from BOTW and TOTK
  • Necromancy, reviving enemies that you jest killed or recently killed
  • All I can think of for now

Summoner - My favorite class due to the mechanics of whips and their variable synergy with minions. Projectile and physical minion attacks would probably have to remain because their aren't many other ways of doing damage, but I suggest that each minion have its own passive abilities. These abilities would, or at least should, make each minion special and desirable in various situations, regardless of progression or damage output. They would also give the player a good reason to mix minions other than fixing inherent I-frame issues. For whips, they should focus more on modifying minion damage and behavior rather than just doing high melee damage. The Firecracker is the best example of a summoner whip done right imo. There could also be a right click function that gives commands for certain behaviors or even formations, giving the player more control and strengthening the player-minion synergy that makes the class special.

Finch - Will moderately lift the player upon x2 jump if they can't fly or don't have a mount. Will increase speed and flight time if wings or mounts are present.

Slime - Will cause the player’s feet to leave a slime trail that gives you a speed boost and gives enemies the oozed debuff. Can be stacked with other speed buffs and asphalt.

Abigail - Grants a second life upon death with a cooldown of 2 minutes where she will not return until the cooldown is up. The second life will grant you 75% of your original health points.

Flinx - Will slow down the enemy by a percentage and inflict a frost debuff. Any fire attacks will combine with the frost to make frostburn.

Vampire Frogs - In hardmode, will sit on the player’s head and extend whip range by a bit. Frogs have long tongues and I couldn’t think of anything else.

Hornets - The hornet will give you a better honeyed buff and will cause you to release venomous bees (wasps if hardmode) upon being hit.

Imps - Every two Imps will add an extra explosion tag per Firecracker hit.

Spiders - Spiders will inflict venom and weaken the enemy's attacks by a percentage.

Sanguine Bats - The bats will have a chance to make a heart drop from an enemy upon bat hits. They will also add to the player's tag damage based on a percentage of the enemy's attack damage.

Pirates - Will sometimes “steal” and use weapons from your non-hotbar inventory. They will draw from your ammo and mana if needed.

Enchanted Daggers - No changes

Twins - No changes

Pygmies - Thrown Spears will cause jungle flowers to bloom on targets. At full maturation fruits will be produced that will randomly grant a buffed version of a select set of bonus effects. Nebula Armor at home.

Desert Tiger - If the player takes damage the tiger will roar, causing its eyes to have a trailing glow effect. Hits from the frenzied tiger will inflict a “fear” effect, making targets retreat from the player for 2 seconds if they are close. This would allow you to play more aggressively. 5 sec cooldown.

Deadly Spheres - No changes

Ravens - Ravens will inflict confusion and draw enemy attention away if the player is below 50% health.

UFOs - Individually lower gravity and inertia for the player by a bit. A high degree of this effect would allow you to change directions without losing speed. Also applies to mounts.

Sharknados - The sharks are forever homing on their original target and have a chance to hit 3 times before disappearing.

Stardust Dragon - No changes

Cell Staff - Each fired cell will undergo cell division on target every 3 seconds.

Terraprisma - No changes

I'd like it if summons in terraria 2 worked like the class in Minecraft Dungeons (which kind of ripped off terraria because it has melee, ranged, summoner and 'artifact' classes, but the game is pretty good though) where the summons draw aggro and have HP.

What about a Mage weapon that grabs random blocks around you and flings then in the direction of your finger?
So telekinesis? I considered that and I think it would be pretty neat. Especially if the damage depended on what block was thrown. It would probably be best if the blocks weren't actually removed though.

That's not a rip off of Terraria thats the basic RPG classes lol
I've never heard of this before Terraria though.
I thought one of them was usually 'rogue' or 'healer'.

Not to mention the 'classes' work the same way, with different armors giving %damage boosts to different types of damage without any actual set classes. The damage types are just the same ones as in Terraria.

Last edited:
I feel like Terraria still popularized it in video games
Classes have been a part of games since 1980's, and since then millions of popular games have done it, Team Fortress 2 for example, which is an extremely popular game that came out before Terraria.
The classes may have different names in different games, but Terraria in no way created it or popularized it, it's a basic staple for class based games.

I've never heard of this before Terraria though.
I thought one of them was usually 'rogue' or 'healer'.

Not to mention the 'classes' work the same way, with different armors giving %damage boosts to different types of damage without any actual set classes. The damage types are just the same ones as in Terraria.
Only because of your own personal experience. If you read my above statement, classes have been a popular staple for video games long before Terraria existed.

Classes have been a part of games since 1980's, and since then millions of popular games have done it, Team Fortress 2 for example, which is an extremely popular game that came out before Terraria.
The classes may have different names in different games, but Terraria in no way created it or popularized it, it's a basic staple for class based games.

Only because of your own personal experience. If you read my above statement, classes have been a popular staple for video games long before Terraria existed.
I know Terraria certainly didn't invent classes, but have the classes always been 'melee damage', 'ranged damage', 'magic damage', and 'summon damage'?

Back
Top Bottom