Terraria 2?

Soronity

Plantera
Hey there!

I've read Terraria 2 alot of times in the past few days and there's even a Wiki Page about it.... Was Terraria Otherworld going to be Terraria 2? Or is that something completely else and Terraria 2 is actually being worked on? Just made me curious after the great 1.4 Update. c:

Hey there!

I've read Terraria 2 alot of times in the past few days and there's even a Wiki Page about it.... Was Terraria Otherworld going to be Terraria 2? Or is that something completely else and Terraria 2 is actually being worked on? Just made me curious after the great 1.4 Update. c:
terraria otherworld WAS going to be number two, but they never made it. they may never make a terraria two. there is no way to know

If they would have been smart, they would have announced a new game the same day 1.4 came out.

I'm actually pretty curious whether they're going to eventually make Terraria 2 or not.

On the negative side, the development of Terraria: Otherworld was clearly pretty rocky and ultimately led to it's cancellation, and the development of Terraria itself clearly wasn't without it's own issues either considering there was a period of time when the game's development was discontinued early on. Granted, I do. . .wonder a bit about what exactly caused the latter. That happened the same year Tiyuri left the team, and as of late it's come out that Tiyuri is a narcissistic egotist who when working on his own game Starbound refused to pay developers, bullied a transgender staffer, and fired Toby freaking Fox for not talking on an IRC chat enough. Is it possible Tiyuri was enough of a toxic influence at the time to disrupt early development?

On the other hand, though, this update is also being referred to as "just the beginning for Terraria" and finally makes some level of effort to cement game lore that up until last year didn't even really exist. Terraria is also one of the most wildly successful video games of all time, so it seems almost silly to not follow it up. Granted, I do hope that the main Terraria team moves to assisting the porting process to consoles and mobile first before moving on to developing a new game, but after that they really have nothing on the table that we can see from the outside. So. . .what does the future have in store, then? It feels like the choices are between Terraria 2 and an unrelated new game, but the latter would almost assuredly not be as successful. And the dev team doesn't seem like they're washing their hands of Terraria any time soon.

So I wonder. . .

Despite Terraria being one of my favorite games of all time, I wouldn't want a sequel. What are they gonna add that they couldn't just add in another update? This is the same way I feel about most games like this. If they wanted to make more content, they could just update the base game or rework the engine.

Despite Terraria being one of my favorite games of all time, I wouldn't want a sequel. What are they gonna add that they couldn't just add in another update? This is the same way I feel about most games like this. If they wanted to make more content, they could just update the base game or rework the engine.
The thing with Terraria is that the engine is kind of. . .fudged in a few ways, from what I heard? There's things that they'd have to retool everything about the game to get to function, and at that point you're basically developing a new game anyway. Things like more than four types of liquid or built-in mod support literally can't function as it's currently wired.

Also 30 million+ copies sold is some INSANE saturation, and at some point it just becomes more cost-effective to start work on a sequel. It's not necessarily that they couldn't patch in much of what a sequel could add so much as the fact that the devs need to make money and with each massive update the chances of having a more significant playerbase jump than just releasing a new game wholesale go down. I'd imagine that a theoretical Terraria 2 would have less features than the original for a long, long time. . .but a sequel offers the opportunity to make much more extreme graphics, UI, and mechanical updates from the get-go than just updating Terraria as it is would.

So Terraria 2 is something that has two practical reasons to exist: the first being that Terraria is a kind of borked 9 year old game and the second being that the devs probably want to get paid for their work.

The thing with Terraria is that the engine is kind of. . .fudged in a few ways, from what I heard? There's things that they'd have to retool everything about the game to get to function, and at that point you're basically developing a new game anyway. Things like more than four types of liquid or built-in mod support literally can't function as it's currently wired.

Also 30 million+ copies sold is some INSANE saturation, and at some point it just becomes more cost-effective to start work on a sequel. It's not necessarily that they couldn't patch in much of what a sequel could add so much as the fact that the devs need to make money and with each massive update the chances of having a more significant playerbase jump than just releasing a new game wholesale go down. I'd imagine that a theoretical Terraria 2 would have less features than the original for a long, long time. . .but a sequel offers the opportunity to make much more extreme graphics, UI, and mechanical updates from the get-go than just updating Terraria as it is would.

So Terraria 2 is something that has two practical reasons to exist: the first being that Terraria is a kind of borked 9 year old game and the second being that the devs probably want to get paid for their work.
I don't know much about computers so feel free to correct me here but would it not be theoretically possible to overhaul the game and just release it as an update to the original? Could they overhaul the whole engine and just release that as a huge new update or would they have to start from square 1?

Technically Speaking though, Minecraft is recieving regular updates, even though the game is 2 years older than Terraria, Minecraft is still being updated, and they at a point added infinite worlds, but never made a new game (ignore Minecraft Dungeons), so I don't entirely see the point in making a new game, when you would just follow Minecraft, and not be money greedy, and with the big, big update thing, they could release the updates gradually, or they could have an option in world creation.

Now, the thing is that to fit more content, well... you can't.
Terraria is literally bursting at the seams. Stupid .NET framework can't handle any more.
You are probably wondering why USE .NET, well it's because Terraria started off as Redigit's hobby. He had no idea it was gonna got this huge.
Don't say overhaul it, that is more work than making a new game.
T2 will use a different framework. It will also have better (beautiful) graphics and more content.
Also, there's the question of what T1 veterans may or may not like.
If you added infinite worlds to T1, some people may not like it as it could interfere in a huge way with the game.
Some may not like if they overhauled graphics.
In a new game, it's fine, they can do what they want.
Technically Speaking though, Minecraft is recieving regular updates, even though the game is 2 years older than Terraria, Minecraft is still being updated, and they at a point added infinite worlds, but never made a new game (ignore Minecraft Dungeons)
Minecraft doesn't use the same engine at all. Comparing them is fruitless.
so I don't entirely see the point in making a new game, when you would just follow Minecraft, and not be money greedy, and with the big, big update thing, they could release the updates gradually, or they could have an option in world creation.
MONEY GREEDY? Are you saying Re-Logic is money greedy while Mojang is not?
I think you have mixed it up.
Minecraft added a store in Bedrock, where you buy overpriced maps, skins and textures at like £3 each. You also need to pay £20 to actually get the initial game (unless it's mobile, but then it lags so much it's not worth playing).
I loved Minecraft, but the store kinda ruined it a little.
Terraria offers the computer version for £7! £7!!!! Are you saying that a company that releases a game that offers thousands of hours of quality playing for SEVEN POUNDS is money greedy?
Also Minecraft feels kind of behind Terraria in terms of content. Line them up next to each other and Minecraft looks pretty empty.

Relogic is less money greedy than almost all (if not all) video game companies I know. The game if have the most memories with and the most play time cost me 5 dollars! Other games cost like 60 bucks and aren't even good!

I realize this thread is several months old, but to clarify a few things.

terraria otherworld WAS going to be number two, but they never made it. they may never make a terraria two. there is no way to know

Terraria: Otherworld was never the same thing as Terraria 2. It was going to be designed as a Spinoff title.

If they would have been smart, they would have announced a new game the same day 1.4 came out.

Generally speaking, it is a mistake to announce a game too early into its development. It can be seen how it happened with Otherworld. It was announced earlier than it was ready and when it didn't work out. It ended up in disappointment for both the players, the community and developers especially. It can be hard to wait for news. I understand as well since there have been other games I've also had to wait awhile for. Terraria's big updates also got me very excited. But the alternative is far worse than being radio silent if a project ends up not working out. It is better in my opinion for developers to remain silent on projects until they're well into development and very fleshed out. Which is how the recent Journey's End update for Terraria was handled for the most part.

Technically Speaking though, Minecraft is recieving regular updates, even though the game is 2 years older than Terraria, Minecraft is still being updated, and they at a point added infinite worlds, but never made a new game (ignore Minecraft Dungeons), so I don't entirely see the point in making a new game, when you would just follow Minecraft, and not be money greedy, and with the big, big update thing, they could release the updates gradually, or they could have an option in world creation.

For this, Pigman nails it pretty well. Redigit never expected Terraria to be as popular as it was today. It wasn't designed to fully handle the high amount of content that later updates up to 1.4 add to the game. The amount of time it would take to adjust Terraria's engine now wouldn't be worthwhile and with that time, a new game could be made instead. A new game would allow the devs to start with a fresh new engine and experiment with new concepts and ideas they can't use now.

It will probably be awhile until we hear about the next game in any case. The top priority for the developers now is to get all platforms of Terraria up to 1.4 and then ultimately 1.4.1. What will come after is unknown. It will be a new game but it may or may not be Terraria 2. If they follow the same model they used throughout Terraria's development for the next game. I have no doubt the next game will also be fantastic just as Terraria was and also well worth paying for.

I hope they are gonna create terraria 2
But first create 1.4.1 and then take some well-earned rest
EXACTLY. Give the development teams some break time! For example, there’s this indie game stardew valley that has like 4 devs no kidding. And people are like 1.5 gimme gimmie more content NOW!

EXACTLY. Give the development teams some break time! For example, there’s this indie game stardew valley that has like 4 devs no kidding. And people are like 1.5 gimme gimmie more content NOW!

It's been stated by Red that Terraria 2 is something he has already started working on. That being said, working on does not mean its anywhere close to finished or ready for even spoilers to be seen. Terraria Otherworld is not Terraria 2 and the development of it was not being done by Relogic. They said they were unhappy with the feel of the game and I for one trust their judgement on that. Yes it had better graphics and new mechanics that would probably be all kinds of fun. But look how long Terraria has been a successful game without and fancy modern mechanics. It fits in a niche that nothing else can reach. And it shines.

Remaking the engine from scratch would be so much harder than making a new game. At every step, you'll need to double check if the new engine still allows things to function as they did before. Because whats the point of an engine that can handle more loot on the ground and more projectiles on screen if the game no longer functions.
And there's no way we want it to be an update. They already spent so much time nearly remaking the game at each major point. 1.2, 1.3, 1.4. It may not seem mechanically that different but the source code was different enough each time that modding tools no longer functioned. Terraria is a great game. And I'll still be playing for years more, having started back when Hallowed gear required all the souls and hardmore gear.
But I do believe that Relogic deserve to charge for it as a new game and at competitive prices when they do eventually release Terraria 2. I have no insight on the time frame or the mechanics behind it. But unlike the major development companies this team has more than provided with just a single purchase. I do own multiple copies because I personally dislike steam. But that didnt stop me from having a steam version of the game.
Other companies, even indie, will sell a game on early access and when it reaches v1.0 or slightly after that with a few bug fixes they will be done with updates. Terraria has had more content than MC since before I began playing it. And I do mean that literally. And yet they kept adding more. Not because they had to.
So do think about that before claiming MC is giving more for free.

@27, only the first part was being addressed to you in some way. The rest of the rant was at other posts I saw.

Relogic has stopped Development of (Terraria: OtherWorld) indefinitely, but if any of you would like to see it come to fruition sometime in the future, then please help contribute here: Change.org "Redigit, the president of Relogic, has stated that if he can get 100,000 signatures and 15 dollars, he will open-source the game, This could allow people to see what Terraria: Otherworld could have been. Once it is open-source, modders, developers, and the community can work to finish the game themselves, and perhaps people can finally get to see the dream of Terraria: Otherworld realized in a playable form."

Back
Top Bottom