3DS Terraria 3DS 1.04 - issues thread

this is completely wrong. the problem is in the game itself not the hardware, this version was designed to run on the original 3DS, and had access to the New 3DS extra power. I play on a New 3DS and it has always crashed, and the New 3DS is a system with over double the processing power and memory. it's the game. not the 3DS.

it sucks people who don't know what they're talking about are assuming its a problem with the console and blaming it, because the 3DS is a fine console. it may be unnderpowered but it has never crashed running a well optimized game.

if it was a problem with the hardware we'd see other demanding games crash too wouldn't we? but no, when a bug free game struggles to run on the 3DS it just lags or runs slow, never crashes.

the only thing you can blame the 3DS for, is for the game not being able to handle much more content. that is all.

I couldn't agree with you more.

I remember signing up to these forums when the 3DS version was announced. I was very excited. Then I started to see people saying things like 'Codeglue are making it? RIP 3DS version', which wasn't very reassuring!

Then they announced they were releasing the game early (obviously to capitalize on Christmas sales), and without key features you'd expect in the game (world sizes, online multiplayer) ...

They've always said the game's performance is the fault of the 3DS, not the game. I challenge them and ask, 'why release it if the console can't meet your standards?' 'Then why not make it a New 3DS exclusive if the original 3DS doesn't have enough RAM?' ... Going off on one here, but my point is...

It's hard to see this as anything other than a cash grab to be honest. The game was rushed, likely outsourced and made by 3 people on the cheap for maximum profits.

I don't think I'll be satisfied with my purchase (let's remember this is the most expensive version on the market) until the game is stable and has online. Which won't happen. What'll probably happen now is they'll stay quiet, wait for the Switch presentation and update the forum saying something like 'the 3DS and even the New 3DS have reached their limits, but fear not, we're going to resell you the game on the Switch for even more money!'

/end rant.

I couldn't agree with you more.

I remember signing up to these forums when the 3DS version was announced. I was very excited. Then I started to see people saying things like 'Codeglue are making it? RIP 3DS version', which wasn't very reassuring!

Then they announced they were releasing the game early (obviously to capitalize on Christmas sales), and without key features you'd expect in the game (world sizes, online multiplayer) ...

They've always said the game's performance is the fault of the 3DS, not the game. I challenge them and ask, 'why release it if the console can't meet your standards?' 'Then why not make it a New 3DS exclusive if the original 3DS doesn't have enough RAM?' ... Going off on one here, but my point is...

It's hard to see this as anything other than a cash grab to be honest. The game was rushed, likely outsourced and made by 3 people on the cheap for maximum profits.

I don't think I'll be satisfied with my purchase (let's remember this is the most expensive version on the market) until the game is stable and has online. Which won't happen. What'll probably happen now is they'll stay quiet, wait for the Switch presentation and update the forum saying something like 'the 3DS and even the New 3DS have reached their limits, but fear not, we're going to resell you the game on the Switch for even more money!'

/end rant.
As much as I liked the 3ds version, I agree with it as much as you do, of course they could have just made it new 3ds exclusive, I mean, Snes games and a few other games on the eshop are New 3ds exclusive (Or just make two separate versions), the old 3ds couldn't handle that stuff, but, enough is enough, and what has been done has been done. I still love the game devs, I really do, I have literally no other console to play terraria on. (But I still want the opic staff badly...)

I must remind EVERYONE that not everyone is experiencing these crashes. I've played terraria 3ds since it came out and have had NO crashes. I've played every version of that game and made a world for each one. I have played the game hours on end WITHOUT SAVING AND EXITING inbetween. I have left the game running OVER NIGHT FARMING MOBS and have had NO crashes. I have built sculptures that took an overly long time to make (one of many can be found in a previous creation compendium) and have had, you guessed it, NO crashes. And ALL of this was done on not a new 3ds, not regular 3ds, but 2ds. If it is truely the game, it would have crashed my game easily. I think it is the systems fault. I think terraria has a hard time running on a device filled with to many games. My 2ds has had very little when comes to games.

I must remind EVERYONE that not everyone is experiencing these crashes. I've played terraria 3ds since it came out and have had NO crashes. I've played every version of that game and made a world for each one. I have played the game hours on end WITHOUT SAVING AND EXITING inbetween. I have left the game running OVER NIGHT FARMING MOBS and have had NO crashes. I have built sculptures that took an overly long time to make (one of many can be found in a previous creation compendium) and have had, you guessed it, NO crashes. And ALL of this was done on not a new 3ds, not regular 3ds, but 2ds. If it is truely the game, it would have crashed my game easily. I think it is the systems fault. I think terraria has a hard time running on a device filled with to many games. My 2ds has had very little when comes to games.

i was thinking the same but after i was reading about crashes i had my own :D
BUT. i realised most of the time those crashes come from fast usage.
if i fast switch through windows and select deselct quick or so...
or if i fight a horde and fast click on map und zoom instantly...
but if i play slow it works all .

2jb80OO.jpg

And then God said "Let there be light!"

So I decided to see what happens when you do place too many torches around. And...Well...

The game goes crazy pretty much. I placed touches in nearly every spot around my base. The bottom screen flashes a lot when moving around, but mostly stays black once too many torches were placed. This makes it a bit harder for me to know where to touch the screen to place more torches (touch screen still works perfectly fine even though you can't see anything). The top screen doesn't render everything. Characters and NPCs go missing. Icons disappear. Blocks goes missing. Some furniture can keep flashing or not render. Not every torch placed renders either. Moving around makes the top screen flash a lot too.

But why did I do this? To see if I can still load this world up after saving. The picture shows my spawn. The game still loads fine, but what you see in the picture is what my game looks like everytime I spawn until I leave the vicinity of torch hell.

Maybe I need to do even more to force my world to crash at the loading screen.

2jb80OO.jpg

And then God said "Let there be light!"

So I decided to see what happens when you do place too many torches around. And...Well...

The game goes crazy pretty much. I placed touches in nearly every spot around my base. The bottom screen flashes a lot when moving around, but mostly stays black once too many torches were placed. This makes it a bit harder for me to know where to touch the screen to place more torches (touch screen still works perfectly fine even though you can't see anything). The top screen doesn't render everything. Characters and NPCs go missing. Icons disappear. Blocks goes missing. Some furniture can keep flashing or not render. Not every torch placed renders either. Moving around makes the top screen flash a lot too.

But why did I do this? To see if I can still load this world up after saving. The picture shows my spawn. The game still loads fine, but what you see in the picture is what my game looks like everytime I spawn until I leave the vicinity of torch hell.

Maybe I need to do even more to force my world to crash at the loading screen.
Two words. Nice. Base.

Two words. Nice. Base.
Looks a lot better without 3/4 of the base not rendering properly :p

Edit: also apologies if the picture turns out too big for people with smaller computer monitor screens, my phone has a very high resolution.

Edit 2: 3120 x 4160...oops...

Last edited:

if it was a hardware fault with my console wouldn't this happen in more games though? and I even have a New 3DS.

if it was a hardware fault with my console wouldn't this happen in more games though? and I even have a New 3DS.
Other games that don't have to load as much stuff as terraria. I looked, The 3ds has 1 GB of storage, 128 MB of FCRAM, and 6 MB of VRAM. And I know that this is probably the problem because of my computer. When I got it, it used very little ram. I downloaded a bunch of stuff from games to programming applications and now it uses an average of 51% when nothing was pulled up. The only part terraria has in this is that it is the one using the memory and cpu and you can't fix that in an update without changing how the game works. A feat that is either impossible or extremely unstable and time consuming.

Other games that don't have to load as much stuff as terraria. I looked, The 3ds has 1 GB of storage, 128 MB of FCRAM, and 6 MB of VRAM. And I know that this is probably the problem because of my computer. When I got it, it used very little ram. I downloaded a bunch of stuff from games to programming applications and now it uses an average of 51% when nothing was pulled up. The only part terraria has in this is that it is the one using the memory and cpu and you can't fix that in an update without changing how the game works. A feat that is either impossible or extremely unstable and time consuming.

the New 3DS has enough ram to load the ENTIRE game (around 80MB, pre-updates) to memory and still crashes... so again... it's not a hardware problem...

I don't know if its just my really bad luck, but I had went through 100+ Pirate maps and I haven't gotten a single Lucky Coin. I had gotten a coin gun, countless Cutlass' and enough Golden Furniture to make a room for a full server with every NPC with mods and then some left over. I'm on the Nintendo 3DS version, so maybe they don't have it on this version or something but I had started farming for pirate maps and while, I was doing so to get the Lucky coin, 7 Solar Eclipses had happened. Wtf???

I don't know if its just my really bad luck, but I had went through 100+ Pirate maps and I haven't gotten a single Lucky Coin. I had gotten a coin gun, countless Cutlass' and enough Golden Furniture to make a room for a full server with every NPC with mods and then some left over. I'm on the Nintendo 3DS version, so maybe they don't have it on this version or something but I had started farming for pirate maps and while, I was doing so to get the Lucky coin, 7 Solar Eclipses had happened. Wtf???
Well the lucky coin only has a 1/4000 (0.025%) chance of dropping from the enemies. I also still don't have it after many attempts :p

If you're having a problem with your game, it's because your 3DS completely sucks! Your 3DS doesn't have enough memory! The 3DS cannot run Terraria, why does it even bother trying? Seriously. You have too many games installed! If you're having problems with the game, just buy it on another more capable system!

the New 3DS has enough ram to load the ENTIRE game (around 80MB, pre-updates) to memory and still crashes... so again... it's not a hardware problem...
Then give me one good reason why my game doesn't crash.
[doublepost=1483928238,1483928193][/doublepost]
I've gotten 2 pre update

Then give me one good reason why my game doesn't crash.
[doublepost=1483928238,1483928193][/doublepost]
I've gotten 2 pre update

Your game doesn't/hasn't crashed because you probably don't play multiplayer. Because, if you did, I guarantee, before you progress very far your game would experience some problems. It would crash. How many hours have you played?

I've played enough of the game to know that if you play multiplayer, you will experience some very weird stuff. Crashes, mainly... but also weird sync issues. (player 2 won't be able to see any eyes or mouths on the WoF, for example). Or doors will disappear for the second player (which still happens sometimes despite the fixes in the updates). If Player 1 is in the sky at high altitude, and Player 2 is underground, Player 2 will have Wyverns and Harpies spawn underground...
Basically there's a long list of stuff that's wrong with the game and there's no denying it.

I've played the game single player and it's fairly stable... But I have had glitches where my character disappears and then the bottom screen disappears too, or glitches where my summons don't work, or... I could go on, actually... and yes, I play on New 3DS.

I'm with @plug313 on this one. The hardware is not a problem at all. With all due respect, it's just a crappy port. If this was handled by a, shall we say, more experienced team... then we wouldn't be having such widespread problems with the game.

The game was rushed out, is still missing core features and is generally quite messy. It makes me lose a bit of faith in the Terraria brand, which is unfortunate because it is, without a doubt a fantastic game. It's a shame this version didn't receive the care and attention it deserves.

Is it the hardware? Is it the port? If anything, I can't believe anything any of you say unless you guys yourselves are professionals in this kind subject.

@Termina Moon They are talking about crashes in general, not just crashes in multiplayer. Some people have had crashing/corrupted worlds recently which is how this subject came up in the first place. To say "you don't crash because you don't play multiplayer" is a bit silly since many others are saying they crashed without mentioning multiplayer at all.

Whether it is a port issue or not, the hardware is STILL weak regardless. This therefore makes it very difficult to port the game over, I don't blame the Devs at all for the issues that pop up. The 3ds cuts back on many games, you can very easily tell how weak the console is by looking at over games too. I have encountered many glitches and slowdowns on other games less hardware extensive than this game is. Character's disappear and black screens happen when there is way too much going on on screen (and even then it has to be a lot, look at how many torches are in my base, there is a lot of animation going on there), there is a reason why Super Mario Maker reduced the amount of items and enemies you can put in levels now, the game still slowdowns when too much happens at once anyway. Terraria has to render and load data about the whole world though, not just a small level/area like all the other games do.

Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3, that game pushed the 3ds to the limit. It's possible to cause render issues to happen in that game if you move around too fast in the stage while lots of special effect animations play at the same time. Enemies or allies can turn into white...Glop...

Rune factory 4, it's possible for the game to crash if you hit too many enemies at once (using a super sized weapon that can hit all the enemies on screen at once). Let alone the other crashing issues this game has too.

Yes, the coding could be better. We know that because there are still other glitches around. Could we improve multiplayer further or stop the crashes fully? Stop the black screens and invisible characters? What would you guys know, seriously, what's your experience/Master's Degrees?

I also highly doubt that the game's issues come from the SD card, my card was so full on the old 3ds that I was missing half of my game library and I still had no issues with Terraria (old 3ds).

Look, I'm just sick of so many baseless accusations being thrown around. While it is possible that one of you could be right in the end, right now the arguments are getting a bit out of hand and I would rather move on. I won't say that "I would like to hear from the Devs themselves what their thoughts are", because they have said many times before what they think the issues are (for both the base game and the multiplayer), I highly doubt we need to read them again unless you guys just blanked out what they said before. The team is still working on the game, and it isn't easy when they have lots of other work and projects going on at the time too.

Either you just play the game, don't push the system to it's limits and try to enjoy yourself. Or just stop playing if you aren't having fun.

Back
Top Bottom