Terraria 8th Anniversary Lore Event

An overall interesting attempt at giving Terraria a plot/lore, but I think this could have been done so much better. There's a lot of plot holes and general weirdness here. Stick to your day jobs, Re-Logic.

Neat story but, there is a huge plot hole that I can't really understand

Like, the story suggest that the one who kidnap Mechanic is the Lunatic Cult
but, in game, Old Man/Clothier said that it is him who kidnap Mechanic (in one of his quote "I keep having vague memories of tying up a woman and throwing her in a dungeon.") and it's never really shown or told that Clothier was or is part of the cult.

Hopefully this will be cleared in future lore post

(also I was hoping that they also include the "Dungeon Factions" lore)
Old man is mentioned to be part of the cult. Clothier is old man.
unknown.png

Last edited:
So, the more I went over the lore, the more it made sense to me. The Gods were basically OCD jerks who hated inequality (in the most existential way possible) so they made balance systems that ravaged the world's inhabitants to keep everything in check. Pretty much lines up with the games Lovecraftian undertones. Even the one irk I had about the Mechanic being a fairly normal and friendly--not to mention restrained--person is explained by the Old Man's curse being broken. Once the curse was lifted, she went back to normal and got jumped by a bunch of bone lads, tied up, and tucked away to be killed at a later date.

The thing I don't buy is Moon Lord. Either he's NOT Cthulhu (even though the lore passage implies he is) or he looks radically different and has inexplicably organic-looking replacements for all his missing parts. The only explanation I could think of was that while his cult was trying to build him new parts (which we destroyed during the game, btw), he had already evolved and regenerated new parts for the ones he lost. OR that's just a different Lovecraftian monster and we, the player, already foiled Cthulhu's revival by killing the Mechs.

I love this game, btw. Just seeing some plot holes that could use some patching up.
c6t7eM6.gif

EDIT: Oh, also, I like the implication that Life Fruits are a remnant of the Dryads who died in the past, lending you their residual life-force up so you can continue to combat Cthulhu. That's what I interpreted the picture of the life fruit next to the part about the Dryads dying to mean, at least.

Last edited:
...Wait what. I'm...
Confused. Questions. Many questions.
First of all...
Corruption and Crimson being forces of balance seems kind of odd since they try to consume everything. An all-consuming hivemind and literal evil-cancer aren't exactly one's definition of balanced in any form.
Also wait, the gods made both of those? Yet gave the Purity nothing to defend against either unless the "Core" Wall of Flesh is destroyed?
And even then only the Hallow to combat BOTH of these negative forces.
And Cthulhu... What? What?
I thought it had been stated before, canonically, that the Moon Lord is NOT Cthulhu (despite the True Eyes of Cthulhu saying otherwise) but barring the fact that the Moon Lord is not missing its brain or eyes... It's now suggesting that the Moon Lord is an attempt to revive Cthulhu? Despite it having no mechanical parts...? Those exact mechanical parts which were stated to be needed...??? And what? Presumably the Mechanic made the Mechanical Bosses but does that then imply that Skeletron is Cthulhu's Skeleton? Despite the eye sockets being way too small for the Eye and the skull being too small for the Brain? Also if that IS the case then what on earth is The Destroyer? The Eater of Worlds isn't an organ.
And okay so the Old Man isn't evil but is possessed by Skeletron or something, but... Aaaaaa???
And the Mechanic was working for the Dungeon despite the fact that she states she was going to end up like the other Skeletons and was tied up, unable to work on anything, getting attacked by the very skeletons... I... Wh...
Also why is the Brain of Cthulhu summoned by the Crimson Hearts if the two are wholly unrelated??????

Like, okay, I understand doing something neat for the anniversary but...
For "official" lore, this sounds like it was haphazardly made up on the spot with no consideration to how much sense things made with the actual game and previous statements.

Also...
RIP Crimson is Cthulhu's eldritch corpse theory and The Guide is The Wall of Flesh theory
and I dislike the bit about the mechanical brain not being done as a throwaway reason to never add a mech boss for the Brain of Cthulhu.

Like... Really.
This... This was a bad move. I feel like this is the kind of game that should never have had official, deep "lore" stamped onto it, unless it had been there from the beginning... Which this clearly had not.

Sorry for the tone of this post but, it just really really just leaves a bad taste in my mouth here to see so much love put into the game and... Then what seems like so little effort put into the official lore when finally deciding to give it some, while simultaneously ruining multiple fun fan theories and giving poor answers to questions nobody asked while giving no answers to questions people have been asking for ages. Ech.

I... Are you being serioius? I'll assume you're trolling... But in case you're not...
Calamity devs have nothing to do with Re-Logic. Calamity is not official in any capacity. Lord is a title, which multiple people can have without being related. THE LORDE is an intentional joke boss modelled after concept art of that mod's "Big Bad" Lord Yharim with googly eyes and crummy JPEG compression, which is or already has been removed, and was never at any point considered canon in Calamity's ludicrously dense lore, not to mention looking absolutely nothing like the Moon Lord...
Okay what am I doing, you were obviously trolling. Ech.
This post pretty much addresses all of my issues with the lore. Excellently explained!

So, rather than repeat a lot of these points, I'll just post a few pictures:

mNoSiBk.png

Skeletron is ML's skull now and the eyes are his eyes, the brain is his brain.. but as you can see, there's no way an eye can fit in these eye sockets. They're BIGGER than the skull itself. They don't look anything like the True Eyes of Cthulhu either, and even if we did shrink them down to fit, Skeletron's got angry eye sockets, so we wouldn't see spherical eyes. That.. and ML has multiple eyes while Skeletron only has two sockets. ML has 6 nostrils but Skeletron has a humanoid nose cavity. Skeletron has a more humanoid jaw, as in its teeth are horizontal, but ML has a vertical mouth. The arms are also much too small for ML's. The brain is bigger than Skeletron too, though is at least roughly the same size as ML's brain.

When you defeat Moon Lord, his skeleton pops out.

62E5D5B04A29BB6C234ABF92C23DF5526CC6DE87

It looks like it belongs to Moon Lord, right? Seemingly the correct size, eye sockets, nostrils, mouth, shape, etc. Even a cavity for his brain. But this is actually meant to be Skeletron.

Skeletron.png

..Yeah.

This is weird. Not trying to be harsh here, but this lore feels forced. It just doesn't make any sense. The stuff about Mechanic tied up in a dungeon, and the Corruption/Crimson serving as a form of "balance".. when the sole surviving Dryad wants both of these biomes eliminated? Wait.. just.. refer to the post above I quoted, it covers pretty much everything.

Ur good at this did you make YOUR OWN LORE? Yes this lore doesnt make any sense in alot of points but people opinion is just their imo their thoughts are their thoughts like that "intestine" comment i saw that it specified "JOKED" and relogic itself is not a writer and this is probably their first time WRITING this lore and they somehow imo did good in some point and not "A MESS" as you stated every lore has mess if your a writer i respect your opinion

Hey mate, I’m not hating on them for adding those two aforementioned lore points. I was just sharing my thoughts on those two things.

This post pretty much addresses all of my issues with the lore. Excellently explained!

mNoSiBk.png

Skeletron is ML's skull now and the eyes are his eyes, the brain is his brain.. but as you can see, there's no way an eye can fit in these eye sockets. They're BIGGER than the skull itself. They don't look anything like the True Eyes of Cthulhu either, and even if we did shrink them down to fit, Skeletron's got angry eye sockets, so we wouldn't see spherical eyes. That.. and ML has multiple eyes while Skeletron only has two sockets. ML has 6 nostrils but Skeletron has a humanoid nose cavity. Skeletron has a more humanoid jaw, as in its teeth are horizontal, but ML has a vertical mouth. The arms are also much too small for ML's. The brain is bigger than Skeletron too, though is at least roughly the same size as ML's brain.

It looks like it belongs to Moon Lord, right? Seemingly the correct size, eye sockets, nostrils, mouth, shape, etc. Even a cavity for his brain. But this is actually meant to be Skeletron.

Skeletron.png

..Yeah.

This is weird. Not trying to be harsh here, but this lore feels forced. It just doesn't make any sense. The stuff about Mechanic tied up in a dungeon, and the Corruption/Crimson serving as a form of "balance".. when the sole surviving Dryad wants both of these biomes eliminated? Wait.. just.. refer to the post above I quoted, it covers pretty much everything.

I would have to guess if Cthulhu IS moon lord, when he recovered, his body parts regenerated differently than they originally were, which is why it doesn't look like skeletron (anymore)

mNoSiBk.png

Skeletron.png

..Yeah.

Just one little tidbit. The Dryad would want the Corruption and Crimson gone because they're dangerous and gross. The Gods weren't exactly benevolent to the living creatures of their worlds. They were, by out mortal measures, the bad guys for creating all these dangerous mechanisms of balance.

Mmmmmm no. I'm going to disregard this lore. Much as I applaud whoever was involved in it for making an attempt, it lacks so much polish and gap-bridging that it can't hold up to scrutiny. I feel the same way towards this that I felt towards that animated 3d series that was attempted a while back, there are too many holes or leaps in logic for it to work. I sincerely hope that there will be no efforts made to canonize it ingame through any changes in character dialogue or other means, and instead we are left with the open-ended experience we have grown to appreciate.

Is Calamitas canon? She's kinda important to me.
No, she is in no way cannon

She is from a mod for crying out loud
[doublepost=1558131053,1558130828][/doublepost]So can we eventually get a Crimson and Corruption in the same world mode? Considering that in this version both exist.

Also, Great job in Actually Justifying why there is no Mechanical BoC. (But can we please have it anyway? Please?)

Is Calamitas canon? She's kinda important to me.
I lost all my brains cells because of that
[doublepost=1558133203,1558132934][/doublepost]
According to the official discord, you're right. Still waiting for any info regarding sun lord though- I was thinking he would be a bit similar, but orange and with fangs... It would be really scary and he would have more arms too.

Sun lord? What? Your comments on this make no sense.
First it was Calamitas being 'canon' when it's part of a mod and NOT the base game.. and now a Sun Lord?

To those that don't like the lore, I've got good news. You can ignore the lore! The best part about this is none of this stuff is reinforced in the game itself. So much like Overwatch, you can just forget about all this and make up your own headcanon.

Not that the game ever really needed it to begin with, but this is a nice gesture for those that really have wanted to know more. We shouldn't be tearing this stuff down.
I mean, I would understand that, but "tearing this stuff down" is kind of easy with the number of holes they've left. It's like a Jenga tower missing 90% of its bricks. Take one down and oops there goes the whole thing. Many of us are tearing it down because we love this game and can't stand to see the "official" lore feel so... Rushed. It doesn't feel like adequate thought was put into it. It does nothing with prolific fan theories despite seemingly having been written up recently (which I can understand but it's also a shame that it directly contradicted them instead of leaving that theory-wiggle-room open), and it directly contradicts previous statements AND ingame stuff.

Also from what I've heard there's some kind of Dungeon rework being mentioned in the Discord... So it's very possible they may actually start to reinforce this stuff ingame which would ... not be good to many of us.

Ur good at this did you make YOUR OWN LORE? Yes this lore doesnt make any sense in alot of points but people opinion is just their imo their thoughts are their thoughts like that "intestine" comment i saw that it specified "JOKED" and relogic itself is not a writer and this is probably their first time WRITING this lore and they somehow imo did good in some point and not "A MESS" as you stated every lore has mess if your a writer i respect your opinion
Uh... I mean, yeah I had headcanons and stuff before. Not all lore is a mess (See: Most games that take their lore seriously), and even some lore that IS a mess is done well (See: Early Elder Scrolls series lore, among others). This felt like a rush-job and doesn't really fit, but they're saying "yeah surprise this is canon now!" after 8 years of next to nothing. Of course we're going to be upset.

Also on the subject of writing, please try to improve your own. Sentence breaks, punctuation, grammar, and sentence structures. Your post was legitimately hard for me to understand, I had to read over it several times. I understand stream of conciousness writing, but when you're trying to respond to someone, please try to take a moment to organize your thoughts before or after writing them down.

I lost all my brains cells because of that
[doublepost=1558133203,1558132934][/doublepost]

Sun lord? What? Your comments on this make no sense.
First it was Calamitas being 'canon' when it's part of a mod and NOT the base game.. and now a Sun Lord?

Uhhh… If there's a moon lord... Why can't there be a sun lord bro. Its a pretty bright idea if I say so myself xD.

I mean, I would understand that, but "tearing this stuff down" is kind of easy with the number of holes they've left. It's like a Jenga tower missing 90% of its bricks. Take one down and oops there goes the whole thing. Many of us are tearing it down because we love this game and can't stand to see the "official" lore feel so... Rushed. It doesn't feel like adequate thought was put into it. It does nothing with prolific fan theories despite seemingly having been written up recently (which I can understand but it's also a shame that it directly contradicted them instead of leaving that theory-wiggle-room open), and it directly contradicts previous statements AND ingame stuff.

Also from what I've heard there's some kind of Dungeon rework being mentioned in the Discord... So it's very possible they may actually start to reinforce this stuff ingame which would ... not be good to many of us.

Uh... I mean, yeah I had headcanons and stuff before. Not all lore is a mess (See: Most games that take their lore seriously), and even some lore that IS a mess is done well (See: Early Elder Scrolls series lore, among others). This felt like a rush-job and doesn't really fit, but they're saying "yeah surprise this is canon now!" after 8 years of next to nothing. Of course we're going to be upset.

Also on the subject of writing, please try to improve your own. Sentence breaks, punctuation, grammar, and sentence structures. Your post was legitimately hard for me to understand, I had to read over it several times. I understand stream of conciousness writing, but when you're trying to respond to someone, please try to take a moment to organize your thoughts before or after writing them down.

Sorry for the inconveniece in reading, im from a country that speaks its own language and mostly focuses on reading in school, and the teacher that teaches writing arent foreigner, and teaches "writing" in the style the school has stated.

Also i understand the fact that terraria has been a game with no official lore for 8 YEARS, and when they decided to release it to public they didnt quite think of it and rushing themselves too much. In my opinion its better than having a group of people in reddit spending months making their own, just so to argue with the other writers that their lore is better and makes more sense.

Sorry for the inconveniece in reading, im from a country that speaks its own language and mostly focuses on reading in school, and the teacher that teaches writing arent foreigner, and teaches "writing" in the style the school has stated.

Also i understand the fact that terraria has been a game with no official lore for 8 YEARS, and when they decided to release it to public they didnt quite think of it and rushing themselves too much. In my opinion its better than having a group of people in reddit spending months making their own, just so to argue with the other writers that their lore is better and makes more sense.
The difference is, the redditors are talking about theories and fan lore and stuff. This is actual lore that has an actual impact on the way people see the game, regardless of whether you can technically ignore it or not.

Back
Top Bottom